2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
NMKeys Offline OP
OP Offline
N
My kid's Science experiment got me to wondering about cleaning the keys.

Their assignment was to swab various items in their "world" and incubate the bacteria in a petri dish. The keys on the piano grew much more than the cat box! The germaphobe in me is having a panic attack. I clean before and after lessons. I have students wash or use sanitizer before lessons. Goodness!

How often do you clean? With what?

Can you see I'm questioning myself at the moment?

Private Piano Instructor M.M.
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
NMKeys,

I don't often think of cleaning the keys unless a student has been in there coughing etc. I may start wiping the keys weekly. I have cleaner and cloth from a kit I bought from the piano dealer. Need to remember to use it.

I wash my hands after I play piano. (And I do the same after cleaning the cat box.) laugh

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 10/01/12 05:19 PM. Reason: clarity
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Heh... My studio is a personal one and not for students (it's a semi-commercial studio for production) and don't exactly clean too much...

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by NMKeys

Their assignment was to swab various items in their "world" and incubate the bacteria in a petri dish.

... and the moral of the story is, don't incubate bacteria in a petri dish.

I do clean my keys every few days, as the sweat on them makes me skid around.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I make all students wash their hands before their lesson, and I have hand sanitizer in my studio as well. I clean my pianos weekly.

For the "germy" kids, I wipe down the keys before the next student shows up. I would also inform the next student to wash their hands before and after the lesson.

Unfortunately, there isn't a good solution to wiping piano keys, as you're not supposed to wipe them with anything other than a slightly damp towel.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I wipe down the keys at the end of each teaching day. (I teach 2 days/week)

I use those clorox wipe things -- hopefully this isn't damaging the keys.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Wow, I'm starting to think I'm a total slob and oblivious to the onslaught of germs all around me! I whizz the vacuum cleaner over the studio once in a while, flip a duster over things in between, and only touch the keys with a slightly damp cloth if there's a visible mark on them. I wash my hands fairly often, and more so in flu season, but that's about it.

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I used to work with a Head Start teacher who did a bunch of petri dishes for her class every year. The kids' fingers were always by far the most diverse source. Think of where all those little fingers go!

Learner
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
Originally Posted by NMKeys

Their assignment was to swab various items in their "world" and incubate the bacteria in a petri dish.

... and the moral of the story is, don't incubate bacteria in a petri dish.

I wonder why the assignment never has the kids measure people's immune systems. The problem with becoming paranoid is that you will not be able to touch a door knob,car door handle,any computer keyboards, or even cash.I notice Oprah had these type of freak-out shows in which they incubated bugs from a dish sponge. But the purpose of the sponge is to remove stuff with dish soap. The rinse is essential to the final cleanliness of the dish. So why focus on the sponge?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
As I understand the latest thinking in medical science, an ultra clean environment is actually a bad thing for humans. We were apparently designed to have to cope with an onslaught of germs in order that our immune systems become robust. With that thought in mind, I've backed off of being super clean and now just clean the studio weekly, except in case of a super ill student who shows up, in which case, I do wipe down the keyboard with glassplus, which is an ammonia based cleaning product here in the USA.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I just glanced at the heading of this thread, and I thought it was about vacuuming and general tidying up. I'm doing that constantly in my studio. Putting away music. Dusting. Straightening furniture. Cleaning my desk enough to see the surface.

But actually wiping down the piano keys in honor of germs? Unfortunately the word "seldom" comes to mind. (Cough, cough.)

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 10/02/12 02:41 AM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
I just glanced at the heading of this thread, and I thought it was about vacuuming and general tidying up. I'm doing that constantly in my studio. Putting away music. Dusting. Straightening furniture. Cleaning my desk enough to see the surface.

But actually wiping down the piano keys in honor of germs? Unfortunately the word "seldom" comes to mind. (Cough, cough.)
Ooo, glad it's not just me!

(My music is pretty tidy, however. It's got to be or I'll never find anything, I have So Much...)

Du holde Kunst...
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
To be honest, I wipe down the keys because they feel sticky, not because of germs smile. I tend to do my practicing after I'm done teaching for the day, and the keys always feel funny to me unless I wipe them down.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
(My music is pretty tidy, however. It's got to be or I'll never find anything, I have So Much...)
heh... My everything is tidy... in my head. I can drive EVERYONE nuts, but unless I'm under extreme pressure and anxiety I never lose stuff. Not keys, or mobile phone, or anything.

And my books and papers and notes and drafts are tidy in their own way.

I also don't use an organiser, but this is turning into a nightmare, since I'm constantly getting more and more admin work to do and my mind can't keep up anymore! frown

P
P
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
As I understand the latest thinking in medical science, an ultra clean environment is actually a bad thing for humans. We were apparently designed to have to cope with an onslaught of germs in order that our immune systems become robust.

I'm a rather lazy key cleaner after my students, if I do, it's mostly because the keys are sticky - concerning germs, I believe in the human immune system wink... Although it seems to me that the modern plastic keys don't get as sticky as ivory keys, which I personally prefer for playing concerts. Since I once almost got stuck on the keys in the scales of Mozart's Kegelstatt Trio, because the dirt sick on the keyboard became sticky from the extreme heat in the concert hall, I always clean the keyboard before concerts.

The piano keys are black and white,
But they sound like a million colours in your mind.
(Katie Melua)

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission