Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1967970 - 10/02/12 09:44 PM Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes!
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
So to start off this story, I work at an assisted living home. Most of the residents that live there have mental health issues of some sort and need constant supervision. They have pretty small lives and while the home tries to take them out as much as possible, it gets pretty boring. They don't have much interaction with their families either and they are always stressed out because of these issues. I have been debating for several weeks now rather or not to bring in my piano and play for these guys..My dad actually encouraged me and gave me the idea. As much as he pestered me about the idea.. i was still not too sure about it. I was even nervous about asking my boss too! But, I finally gathered up enough courage last week and asked my boss if I could bring in my piano. She did not care and said I could bring it in whenever. Awesome right! So now the problem was having enough courage to actually bring in the piano and play in front of these guys. I rarely if ever play in front of people so the thought of it is quite terrifying. Fortunately there are only 6 guys and most of them don't care. They are usually just so happy to do anything with staff members. Yesterday, I finally brought in my piano. I set it all up. I ended up leaving it up for my whole 8 hour shift. I played it quite a lot too. Most of my shift in fact. The guys loved it! I even let a few of them try it out. The best part about this story is about one particular resident. His brain is about 75% gone from an illness. All he does is set in a chair and wait for a pilot that he thinks is coming to get him. He sets in this chair for like 10 hrs a day too. He doesn't do much and literally can't do much. He had so much fun listening to me play the piano. He even went to his room and got out his guitar and started playing along and singing. While he can't really play at all, it was still pretty cool that he got that excited. He was pretending to be Johnny Cash the whole time. He was in such a good mood all day. I think, out of all the residents, my music had the most impact on him. It was so neat to see him get out of that chair and play his guitar. He was just so happy.. He was still talking about his guitar playing and being Johnny Cash this morning. I played David Nevue's Amazing Grace for another one of the residents, and I asked him how he liked it.. He didn't say anything for a minute then he said, can you play it again? So of course, I played it again. Then he asked me if I could bring in my piano the next day! So what can I say? Overall, a really good day at work. My boss says I can bring in my piano whenever I want too. Once a week if I like. Music is the best therapy for stress right =) And... I wasn't really that nervous in the end since I already knew the guys pretty well smile

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1967996 - 10/02/12 10:31 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What a heartwarming story!! I get happy hearing about someone using their piano skill and talent to make less fortunate people happy. God bless you, Ladypayne! smile

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1968000 - 10/02/12 10:33 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
DinaP Offline

This is totally awesome -- God bless your work. Music is such a universal language -- the musical part of the brain seems to still be there when other areas are affected by age. Some folks can remember the words of songs but remember little else.

What joy you are bringing by confronting your fears -- good job!!!!

#1968003 - 10/02/12 10:35 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Ladypayne thanks so much for sharing your story. It sounds so wonderful! You have touched the lives of all who heard you play that day!

I volunteered to play at a long term assisted living facility. It took awhile to get my security clearance and then summer and now I am back at work so my days and evenings are booked pretty solid. All that to say I haven't done it yet. I still want to do it because I do sense these people are just waiting to have some interaction with others. And I think music is good for the soul. Everything is in place I just have to say when I am going in.

After reading your awesome experience I really want to try. I'm afraid of my nerves which can get the best of me. But I haves feeling if I just do it all will be fine. Maybe tomorrow I will make the call!

I would love to continue to hear about yourexperiences doing this. I don't doubt you will be playing again!

#1968010 - 10/02/12 10:48 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
ladypayne, this is the coolest thing ever. Music makes such an incredible difference. It can bring people to life, as you have found. It truly is a blessing. Good for you!

Zoe - never mind the nerves laugh It's the music. I still stumble every time I play, and I've been playing for about 3 years. It's not a performance, really - it's a community thing, and an interaction. You can stop in the middle and tell them you have try again, or ask if anyone can help. Just laugh. And play music. It is so cool.

Cathy

#1968017 - 10/02/12 10:58 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Love the story. Please keep us posted for further update on your music therapy.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1968024 - 10/02/12 11:09 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
That's a wonderful story, and doesn't seem like a "yikes" at all (the thread title led me to expect some disaster).

#1968031 - 10/02/12 11:19 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
ladypayne Offline

playing in front of people makes me think YIKES :P

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

#1968034 - 10/02/12 11:22 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Do you feel more comfortable with the idea of playing for people, now that you've seen how well it went for the residents?

#1968037 - 10/02/12 11:26 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
ladypayne Offline

if it is a comfortable setting like at work... i think it is okay now but maybe would be a disaster if it was like a formal setting.. like a recital or something.. not sure how that would go lol.

#1968060 - 10/03/12 12:29 AM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
ms. payne, what a great story! I'm glad you overcame your fears to do what you love - it's no surprise your guests loved it too. smile

If you ever get the chance, check out the book "Musicophilia" by Dr. Sacks:

http://www.amazon.com/Musicophilia-Tales-Music-Revised-Expanded/dp/1400033535

It's really incredible how differently our brains process and remember music compared to everything else.

You might be onto something with your guests - keep them smiling! smile

#1968069 - 10/03/12 01:09 AM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Ladypayne this is a great story. Plus, your boss is approving your playing piano at work and getting paid while doing it.

Double great!

#1968080 - 10/03/12 02:24 AM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
This is great! And your playing is so good you shouldn't be scared of playing in front of anybody.

#1968115 - 10/03/12 06:50 AM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Congratulations on daring to do this and on the great result!

I recently saw this related film clip, from the film "Alive Inside":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyZQf0p73QM
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#1968121 - 10/03/12 07:14 AM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
What an epic story Ladypayne!!! This is what music is all about!

#1968123 - 10/03/12 07:33 AM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
LP - This is a great story! I also highly recommend the book that BenPiano wisely points you to - "Musicophilia". Maybe you'll soon be writing your own memoir on the different ways that music helps the damaged brain...

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

#1968138 - 10/03/12 08:34 AM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
What a heart warming story ladypayne

Thanks for sharing your story and for sharing your music with those residents. Its a great gift

Lee

#1968139 - 10/03/12 08:35 AM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
This story is really beautiful, ladypane.
Congratulations^2

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#1968142 - 10/03/12 08:47 AM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
What a great story! You made those people's lives a little brighter. Love the "Johnny Cash" part. LOL Thanks for sharing.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1968416 - 10/03/12 08:58 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
How lovely you brought some happiness to these men Lady Payne! A great thing you ddi there.

P.S Love your quote by the Master. smile

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1968443 - 10/03/12 09:50 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
ladypayne Offline

Thanks for all the encouraging comments! I might end up bringing my piano to work next week. It was so much fun. =) EdwardianPiano: I like your quote by the master too :P

#1968447 - 10/03/12 09:58 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
ladypayne~ It's so fantastic you moved others so deeply with your music and your equally deep commitment to play for them. Absolutely wonderful story!

Glen

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1968449 - 10/03/12 10:11 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
Thanks for all the encouraging comments! I might end up bringing my piano to work next week. It was so much fun. =) EdwardianPiano: I like your quote by the master too :P

I think you should- is it a light digital then?

The Master said some great things - this one makes me laugh:

“There are and always will be thousands of princes, but there is only one Beethoven!” laugh

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1968461 - 10/03/12 11:06 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
wouter79 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Also congratulations! You can safely remove the "yikes" from the title ;-)

#1968885 - 10/04/12 09:46 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
ladypayne Offline

It's kind of light.. Probably about 25 to 30 lbs.. It's kind of a pain to carry because it is so long and I have it screwed to a stand so every time I want to take it, I have to unscrew it, pack it up, and get it in my car lol. Not something I want to do every day but once in awhile I don't mind because it really is a fun thing to do. I also don't have a portable stand yet and I used a table at work. If I start doing this a lot, I might invest in a more portable keyboard stand smile

#1968888 - 10/04/12 10:00 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quite light compared with my old 1910 Piano LOL

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1968894 - 10/04/12 10:35 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: EdwardianPiano]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Now you can brag that you played with Johnny Cash!!

Cool story!
Being able to play at work is wonderful.

#1969240 - 10/05/12 08:11 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
Good on you, Ladypayne, good on you! thumb

What would be cool would be if you could find a donor piano for the facility so that you don’t have to haul yours back and forth and so that the residents would have one to try out if they so desired. Perhaps a digital that sits unused in someone’s home and they’d be willing to donate it. Maybe an ad on Craigslist or something similar, asking for a donation?

#1969905 - 10/07/12 03:55 PM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
frankeric Offline

Loc: colorado
ladypayne, you go get em...
I've got my 90 yr old mom in rehabilitation and it breaks my heart every time I go there, which is once a day. I hope she gets out of there ASAP. You brought a tear to my eye. Great going!
frank

#1970176 - 10/08/12 06:17 AM Re: Shared my piano talents in front of some people.. yikes! [Re: ladypayne]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Congratulations. A terrific tale.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (AndrewJCW, Art_Vandelay, AndreiN, 20 invisible), 1204 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156219 Topics
2294259 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
Yesterday at 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
Yesterday at 07:12 PM
Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission