Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1968736 - 10/04/12 03:04 PM Good Headphones for Stage piano
greekpianist1 Offline

Loc: Greece
Hello...I have the Roland RD300 stage piano and I want to buy good headphones, but , as I cannot try them out, I don't know the criteria that I have to take into consideration in order to make a good choice..Any help or reccomendation would be appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by greekpianist1 (10/04/12 03:06 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1968742 - 10/04/12 03:25 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: greekpianist1]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I personally like the sound of open-style studio headphones. For the same money you get really great detail and soundstage and I find them less tiring. Stuff like AGK 240 (and relatives), Sennheiser HD598 (which I have), etc.

However, if your environment is loud you may want closed headphones. I know less about them because I don't typically use them.

Grados are a very beloved semi-open brand, but they have a reputation for being great for pop, which may mean they tweak with the equalizer curve, which is not desirable for DP's.

I also hear people talking about Denon headphones. And I think Sony makes some good ones, but they make a lot of cheap ones too, so you will need to do a little research. Maybe check out head-fi, though they are mostly music listeners, as opposed to music players.

Whatever you get, I'd recommend big over-the-ear models if you can.

Edited by gvfarns (10/04/12 03:26 PM)

#1968754 - 10/04/12 03:56 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: gvfarns]
torhu Offline

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
I also hear people talking about Denon headphones.

My Denon AH-D1100 phones are plenty expensive, and fine when listening to music. But when using them for my Roland RD-700NX digital piano, or the Galaxy Vintage D software piano, I have to use EQ to reduce the bass. And that's a baaad thing.

I wish headphone manifacturers would start publishing frequency response graphs, but for now they seem to be wedded to their marketing babble. Well, Denon does.

#1968761 - 10/04/12 04:06 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: greekpianist1]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
I have the RD300NX and I bought a used pair of Dr. Dre Beats. My piano actually sounds really nice with them on. I don't know any of the tech stuff (learning as I read) but what I do like is that they block out all outside noise. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1968778 - 10/04/12 04:30 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: greekpianist1]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There are a number of recent threads on this subject, it is worth searching them out.

#1968795 - 10/04/12 04:57 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: greekpianist1]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
I also own the Sennheiser HD598 headphones and really like them. They seem to be a popular model along with the AKG 240's (in all their incarnations). I also own a set of 240 MKII's. (After having to throw away a handful of headphones that could not be easily and cheaply repaired, I now only buy headphones where the cables can be easily replaced.)

The Beyer 770's were recommended to me by two different studio engineers. I haven't tried them but trust those studio engineer's recommendations.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1968834 - 10/04/12 06:52 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: greekpianist1]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I have a pair of Beyer 770 that I love for listening and mixing but for playing, I already prefer are my Shure SRH940. Spent a little more than I wanted, but its the happiest I've been with my Roland.

My next pair will be open back, but for my variety of uses, closed back were more practical.

I also spent some time over at head-fi.org. It's harder to apply their reviews directly to keyboard playing but they do get very detailed.

I also have a pair of enhanced DJ phones that I like and are comfortable...I briefly tried them on my Roland. Yuck.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1968865 - 10/04/12 08:21 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: PianoWorksATL]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
I also spent some time over at head-fi.org. It's harder to apply their reviews directly to keyboard playing but they do get very detailed.

Yeah, I actually have a hard time at head-fi. They are very detailed but they are detailed almost exclusively about subjective things, and as you say, they are not always coming with the same objective as we are.

I guess you can do what it seems like everyone does around here and get a Sennheiser HD595, HD598, or HD650 despite the fact that they are wickedly overpriced (i.e., cost much more than they did a couple of years ago...like almost twice).

Edited by gvfarns (10/04/12 08:28 PM)

#1968895 - 10/04/12 10:39 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: gvfarns]
ONfrank Offline

I guess you can do what it seems like everyone does around here and get a Sennheiser HD595, HD598, or HD650 despite the fact that they are wickedly overpriced (i.e., cost much more than they did a couple of years ago...like almost twice).

You might try negotiating for a better price. If the HD598 could be sold for $175 previously, it can be again. Minimum Advertised Pricing is not to help buyers.

#1968955 - 10/05/12 02:24 AM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: ONfrank]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: ONfrank
You might try negotiating for a better price. If the HD598 could be sold for $175 previously, it can be again. Minimum Advertised Pricing is not to help buyers.
I've recently observed that inexpensive phones have a decent margin so that e-tailers can build in "free" shipping over a micro-thin profit. Getting just a little higher, the mark gets thinner because shipping is virtually the same + the micro profit. I looked at a couple of higher priced phones and the "expensive" stores worked on a gross of about 20% - 24% and the most aggressive worked on a gross margin of less than 10%. And remember that they are offering free shipping that comes out of that total. I found a couple at 5.3%. Products like that are now untouchable in a B&M store.

If manufacturers want reputable stores to inventory, display and actually help customers, MAP pays for the rent, the lights, the employees. It's not like music store owners are fat cats...the remaining ones, that is.

I don't want to start a MAP thread, just add a little knowledge. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1968967 - 10/05/12 03:18 AM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: gvfarns]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
... get a Sennheiser HD595, HD598, or HD650 despite the fact that they are wickedly overpriced ...

I was in a store comparing at a HiFi device, not at a digital piano, the Sennheiser HD 558 and HD 595 and could not figure out any difference in there sound characteristics. Are my ears already getting low-grade? Somebody around who has bad experience with the HD 558?
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

#1968970 - 10/05/12 03:33 AM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: greekpianist1]
jhm Offline

Loc: Sweden
I would like to recommend the AKG K240 MkII, since they are semi open studio headphones rather uncoloured with a good Fq range (15-25000 Hz). If you however want closed back headphones, I would suggest the AKG K271 MkII (16-28000 Hz). Both models are really high quality HP that comes with both leather like ear pads and velvet ear pads. You also get two detachable headphone cables with the headphones.

#1968974 - 10/05/12 03:48 AM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: ONfrank]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ONfrank

I wouldn't spend more than $150 on a pair of headphones as I bought the Sennheiser HD518's for $130, at amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-518-...3462&sr=8-1

They sound great and are very comfortable over the ears.

#1969000 - 10/05/12 08:05 AM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: pv88]
PtJaa Online   content

Loc: Czech Republic
Marco M, I use HD 558 at my piano and am happy with it.
HD 558 and HD 598 reportedly use the same drivers and differ mostly in appearance and a piece of rubber tape that HD558 has stuck behind the outer grille - it's easy to reversibly remove it (there are many guides for that on the internet).

#1973989 - 10/16/12 09:22 AM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: greekpianist1]
stephane__ Offline

Loc: paris, france
I've been testing many headphones recently for using with my yamaha NU1

testing with nu1 sounds as well as vintage II / emotionnal piano virtual instruments.

here are all of them in order of preference

1.sennheiser hd280 pro
2.sennheiser hd380
3.sennheiser hd25
4.shure SHR 840
5.beyerdynamic DT770 pro
6.sennheiser hd600
7.akg K701
8.akg k242

1.the good old ugly sennhseiser HD280 is WAY above the rest in my opinion.
it is nearly ideal for piano use. the reason I like it so much is because the sound is extremely clear. I would actually hate to listen to music through it as the sound is kind of thin, it clearly accentuates treble instead of bass... But plugged in the piano this is a different story. notes are clear through the whole keyboard range and harmonics are not muted like other headphones. with just a litle more bass it would be better though, it lacks a little punch in the lowend. also for closed headphones the isolation is not very good which is a concern with a NU1/avantgrand or silent piano where you will hear hammers while playing piano/pianissimo, especially with higher notes.

choosing between the other headphones is more a matter of opinion, the difference is more subtle. despite being for most of them considered very neutral headphones (some being excellent for studio mixing) they all accentuate bass much more than senn280. you wouldn't tell by listening to music but it is just obvious plugged in a digital piano. I wouldn't buy any of them as sound clarity is my priority.

2.I ranked sennheiser HD380 second because it is the closest sounding to 280 with more bass, but it doesn't have its clarity. isolation is much better. less confortable.

3. HD25 is very neutral sounding which is excellent for piano, but a step lower in terms of clarity.isolation is excellent but it is very uncofortable to me. the one I found it to be the most versatile, it is very good for music listening and decent for piano playing.

4. shure 840
too much low-end. best isolation still confortable (feels much better than hd 380). If I could put the sennheiser280 electronics in this headset it would be near perfection. couldn't find how to disassemble it properly though ..

5. beyerdynamic DT770pro
the most confortable with AKGs and HD600, a closed headphones that sounds very open. very good sound actually but not appropriate for piano in my opinion.

6.7.8. akg 242/akg k701/sennheiser HD600.
these are my favorite for music listening and least favorite for piano playing.
Being open headphones they are not suitable to my piano. I guess open headphones should be avoided for stage use as well.
also these are the least neutral sounding ones, doesn't work at all with DP in my opinion. night & day compared to my first choice despite being more expensive.

I think headphones for digital piano should be tried with a digital piano and never through any hifi setup even listening to piano music. the difference is huge.
for this very specific use, paying more won't give best results, it seemed to me hifi headphones are inapropriate, neutral studio ones are the only one to consider.
just like your piano would sound way better through studio monitors than any expensive hifi setup

hope this helped despite my approximative english smile

Edited by stephane__ (10/16/12 10:46 AM)

#1974012 - 10/16/12 10:54 AM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: greekpianist1]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
Why do you think open headphones are not suitable for a digital piano?

#1974028 - 10/16/12 11:30 AM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: stephane__]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
It's interesting that tastes can be so varied. After buying a piano four years ago, I went on a quest for headphones. THe HD-280 Pro was, for me, the worst of all the phones that I tried.

It was the only closed-phone design I tried. After trying a number of open phones (including the HD-555) I bought the Beyerdynamic DTX-900.
Originally Posted By: stephane__
the good old ugly sennhseiser HD280 is WAY above the rest in my opinion.

#1974031 - 10/16/12 11:38 AM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: greekpianist1]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I currently own three pairs of headphones and a pair of earphones. The best ones I've found for my hi-fi system are also the best ones to use with my DP, but I probably listen to different music from most people here: all classical (plus a few jazz solo piano) including orchestral, choral, song and instrumental. What I look for is natural sound and natural balance, and I can compare the sound from my headphones with what I hear in concert halls (as I attend concerts regularly) as well as when playing acoustic pianos myself. In case anyone doesn't know, all live classical music is performed unamplified and unmiked (including song recitals, solo violin and solo piano, operas etc) except in unusual open-air venues and solo guitar/guitar concertos, where the guitarist is often given a discreet amplification if he's playing in a big venue.

My Bose QC2 noise-reduction headphones were bought mainly for travel and they give a mid-range coloration to the sound, and the noise-reduction system causes a faint background hum. The closed AKG K271 Mk II that came free with my V-Piano are better, but sound slightly muffled when compared to the (open) Grado SR 325is which I bought last year, and which I mainly use now with my DP as well as with my hi-fi.

#1974041 - 10/16/12 11:57 AM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: Vectistim]
stephane__ Offline

Originally Posted By: Vectistim
Why do you think open headphones are not suitable for a digital piano?

as I mentioned I don't think open headphones are not god for DP, but for certain DPs, avantgrand/NU1 and silent pianos.
because the noise of hammers is an issue with bad isolation when playing pianissimo or even piano parts

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
It's interesting that tastes can be so varied. After buying a piano four years ago, I went on a quest for headphones. THe HD-280 Pro was, for me, the worst of all the phones that I tried.

I'm really stating an opinion so I speak no truth, 280 have a very specific sound so I am not surprised others don't like it at all.
I actually owned these for years as music listening headphones and didn't like them at all so I was sure I would find something much better for my piano easily. then I completely changed my mind when testing all headphones side by side.
HD280 are clearly not in your face kind of headphones and sound agressive for hifi, but I found the clarity you get in counterpart precious for the piano.

Edited by stephane__ (10/16/12 11:58 AM)

#1974061 - 10/16/12 12:23 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: stephane__]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

as I mentioned I don't think open headphones are not god for DP, but for certain DPs, avantgrand/NU1 and silent pianos.
because the noise of hammers is an issue with bad isolation when playing pianissimo or even piano parts

When you play pp on a DP using open headphones, you shouldn't hear the action noise, even from AG/NU1 - unless you're using the volume control to get the pp but thumping the keys like you're playing ff....

#1974069 - 10/16/12 12:33 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: bennevis]
stephane__ Offline

well I can assure you do hear hammers on NU1 with volume set high. even with the 280 (which is closed but don't isolate very well), volume of the nu1 set at maximum.
to the point the noise hammers are making can get as important as the notes you are playing when playing soft parts in the highest third of the keyboard.
with the shure 840, you barely hear hammers, it makes a whole difference in my opinion as even if you get used to hammer sounds it kind of kills the atmosphere of a quiet part.

NU1 action makes much more noise than other DPs, the resonnance of hammers in the piano is important to be precise.
it really make sense to consider isolation when buying headphones for such a piano.

after reading many reviews, it seems Shure 940 have less bass and sound much clearer than 840, so I will give it a go, could be the perfect solution for me.

Edited by stephane__ (10/16/12 03:22 PM)

#1974443 - 10/17/12 08:29 AM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: greekpianist1]
Deffie Offline

Interesting experiences there. Since it is so different from my own it makes me wonder how good/bad/different your NU1's headphone output is compared to my MP10s.

I typically use Shure 840s and also used Sennheiser HD600s for a while.

#1974514 - 10/17/12 12:04 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: Deffie]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Deffie
Interesting experiences there. Since it is so different from my own it makes me wonder how good/bad/different your NU1's headphone output is compared to my MP10s.

I've noticed that when I use my own headphones (or the AKG and even the Yamaha ones provided by the store) with the N1/2/3 or NU1, I have to turn the volume control right to the maximum to get anything approaching the realistic volume I'd expect if I was playing a real piano, and even then it's still not quite there. On my V-Piano (and other Rolands), I only need to turn the volume dial to its mid-point. I get the feeling that with most headphones, you need a booster (or whatever you call those gadgets that increase the strength of the signal) to use with those Yamahas.

#1974564 - 10/17/12 01:35 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: greekpianist1]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
i have both open and closed style phones and my favorite- by a long-shot are my Sennheiser HD 600's:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Dynamic...+headphones+600

they are somewhat expensive, but they are really light, very cool and you can wear them for a long time without "ear fatigue". Their sound reproduction is gorgeous, very balanced and neither bright nor mellow.

i have a pair of Audio Technica ATHM50S that are of the closed variety.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH...nica+headphones

They are much more isolating, a bit bright tonally, and i can only handle them for about 30 minutes to an hour before my ears scream for freedom. They are far more reasonably priced, and there are other versions under $100 that are also very nice. If my semi-deaf mother-in-law is upstairs watching reruns of Andy Griffith at max volume, the AT's are the ticket. otherwise i prefer the HD's- which are almost effortless to wear and sound as if you aren't even wearing phones.

I've owned some AKG 240's in the past and while good, i found they were overly bassy and colored to the mellow side....

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1974757 - 10/17/12 05:58 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: stephane__]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK

NU1 action makes much more noise than other DPs, ....

This is not true. Yes there is some mechanical noise from the NU1 keyboard, but it is not particularly loud, and it is not the key bottoming thump that can be quite loud with PHAIII on many Rolands stage and console DP's; and also the thump on older Casio such as PX130/330. I don't know about Yamaha GH or GHS but would say Kawai still set the mark in terms of quiet actions though. It's usually a none issue for most players with speakers and headphones, but maybe an issue for unwilling non-playing listeners when the player has headphones, and obviously is an issue for stephane. All IMHO.

#1974784 - 10/17/12 06:30 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: spanishbuddha]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha

NU1 action makes much more noise than other DPs, ....

This is not true. Yes there is some mechanical noise from the NU1 keyboard, but it is not particularly loud, and it is not the key bottoming thump that can be quite loud with PHAIII on many Rolands stage and console DP's; and also the thump on older Casio such as PX130/330. I don't know about Yamaha GH or GHS but would say Kawai still set the mark in terms of quiet actions though. It's usually a none issue for most players with speakers and headphones, but maybe an issue for unwilling non-playing listeners when the player has headphones, and obviously is an issue for stephane. All IMHO.

I haven't played the NU1, but I have played other avantgrands and I'm inclined to agree with stephane. The noises are quite different from the loud bottoming out of the Rolands and low whump of the Kawai wood actions, but in my opinion they (the hybrid actions) are the most distracting of all the digital piano actions. I recently went to a piano store with the intention of buying their AvantGrand (they were going out of business). I had the money and wifely permission but I just could not tolerate the racket the action makes, so I passed.

Unless the NU1 is significantly quieter than the other AvantGrands, I would consider it a noisy action.

Edited by gvfarns (10/17/12 06:34 PM)

#1975288 - 10/18/12 04:24 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: gvfarns]
stephane__ Offline

well sorry if it is getting a little off topic here

spanishbuddha, please I can't let you close this with a definitive "this is not true." smile
from my experience, going from a roland RP101 to the NU1 the difference is honestly night and day, I am aware the RP101 was not the noisiest of them all, but I got the same feeling from other I tried at the store.

I don't know if you do own an NU1/avantgrand but if you tried them in store, you probably wouldn't tell how loud it is as I did myself. It struck me only when the piano arrived home.
I have tried many other actions in store (yamaha, roland, kawai...), but it is not possible to judge properly in such conditions, so I can't tell accurately.

the difference between RP101 and NU1 I have had at home is just obvious. newer actions such as RM3 or PHAIII must be louder than RP101's action being wooden keys with double escapement but I would be very surprised it is as loud as nu1/Ns.
you are comparing this (PHAIII):

to this (nu1, see after 1:30):

not only the action mechanism itself is much bigger, the hammer hitting you on top of this of course can't be silent and is making most of the noise. add to this the piano acting as a resonnance box being much larger (not sure it translates well in english sorry, you should get the idea).

of course I might be wrong, as I don't have another piano home to compare but then it doesn't change my point on the need for well isolated headphones smile

There actually has been a post on this very forum about an avantgrand user (or was it grantouch) who got complaints from his downstairs neighbours and couldn't play at night. I thought he must have very picky neighbours when I tried these pianos in store as it didn't seem very noisy at all. then when the piano arrived at home I realised it does make sense. I won't ask my neighbours if they hear vibration but I wouldn't be surprised they do hear it, I guess it wouldn't be loud though unless I play fortissimo, which I avoid doing at night.
several friend actually asked me right away if it was ok to play at night when they tried my NU1.

still I don't want to sound as it is a turn down on these amazing pianos. It is much more reasonable that you might think reading my post, but to get back on topic with open headphones it definitely is an issue.

Edited by stephane__ (10/18/12 05:19 PM)

#1975324 - 10/18/12 05:41 PM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: greekpianist1]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
OK. Stephane and gvfarns thanks, let's just agree to disagree.

I agree with this:

The noises are quite different from the loud bottoming out of the Roland's....

but do not agree with this

NU1 action makes much more noise than other DP's

where I interpreted the word 'more' to be 'louder' so sorry if I misinterpreted what you said. But I maintain it is not louder, than all other DPs, maybe some. smile I added the word all there not you.

However as you and gvfarns say there is more of a 'clatter' going on. Just like an acoustic, and people who like the smooth quiet actions, from the Kawai's at least, might not like it at all.

Actually I think the discussion is interesting in another way, I have learnt mostly on a Casio PX330, Kawai CN33 and FP7F. The Kawai action is smooth, quiet, responsive, and very good. The FP7F action is hard but also quite good, although noisier than the Kawai. But having just started piano lessons with a teacher who has an acoustic the difference in feel is like night and day, and the NU1 action is closer to the acoustic. None are better than the other in absolute terms, except for their specific instruments purpose, just different! and people have different preferences.

Sorry for going so OT and I wish you best in the search for noise isolating headphones.

#1975555 - 10/19/12 07:55 AM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: Deffie]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
Originally Posted By: Deffie

Does this suggest that headphones used with the NU1 would benefit from a headphone amp?

#1975568 - 10/19/12 08:17 AM Re: Good Headphones for Stage piano [Re: Vectistim]
Deffie Offline

Originally Posted By: Vectistim

Does this suggest that headphones used with the NU1 would benefit from a headphone amp?

Seems likely, although the Shures are really easy to drive (I can use them straight out of a Sanza Clip+ with no problems or lack of volume).

Alternately, it may be that the NU1's headphone output is just rubbish, or it might just be that the Shures don't fit their preferred sound signature.

Always a bit hard to know since we all hear just a bit differently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
100 registered (AZNpiano, Anticlock, Almaviva, 29 invisible), 892 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76011 Members
42 Forums
157172 Topics
2308407 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
EDTA solution to clean pedals, handles, etc
by Olek
Today at 01:34 AM
AMusA exam questions
by Badinage
Today at 01:24 AM
ES7 - Gig Bag or Hard Case
by gbitw
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
special gloves to reinforce good hand position
by Will1
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
Frederick Historical Concert Season - Fall 2014
by Terrytunes
Yesterday at 08:44 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission