Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1969008 - 10/05/12 08:40 AM Regarding sight reading- help please
ginn Offline

Loc: New Delhi
After a break of two years, I started playing piano. I could not sight read the music notations of treble and bass clef while I try to play the piano. Can any one suggest the simplest method to recover from this problem. I have passed up to grade 5 from Trinity guildhall exams. I can't understand where the problem is? Pl. help.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1969012 - 10/05/12 08:43 AM Re: Regarding sight reading- help please [Re: ginn]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Almost certainly you are trying to read much too hard material. Start on really really basic material. I like this as a start:

Hannah Smith Progressive Sight Reading

Yes, it is really basic but that's the point. You can't decode music a note at a time, you have to learn to read it and you start with the world's simplest pieces.

Kawai K3

#1969017 - 10/05/12 08:58 AM Re: Regarding sight reading- help please [Re: ginn]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I suspect your teacher never taught you reading skills and you muddled through somehow. Something similar happened to me on another instrument. The question of skills never came up until one day I realized I was missing a bunch of them.

#1969088 - 10/05/12 12:00 PM Re: Regarding sight reading- help please [Re: ginn]
Dror Perl Offline

Loc: NY
I'd try any of the method books ( I personally prefer the Alfred) and start at the very basic level and slowly, gradually and thoroughly browse through it and re-build your sight reading abilities. good luck !

http://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

#1970559 - 10/08/12 11:17 PM Re: Regarding sight reading- help please [Re: ginn]
Evan R. Murphy Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I agree with Andy Platt and Dror Perl about starting with very basic material.

You want to start with music easy enough that the first time you play it through, you don't have to stop and you still do a pretty good job. (Don't worry about getting it perfect - just focus on not stopping while still getting across the essence of the piece.)

Edited by Evan R. Murphy (10/08/12 11:28 PM)

#1970609 - 10/09/12 01:16 AM Re: Regarding sight reading- help please [Re: keystring]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: keystring
I suspect your teacher never taught you reading skills and you muddled through somehow. Something similar happened to me on another instrument. The question of skills never came up until one day I realized I was missing a bunch of them.

keystring, is there a different kind of teaching that could have gotten af your lacking skills, and taught them explicitly? Do you think you would have been open to this teaching *before* you hit a wall with your own muddle-through techniques?

#1970657 - 10/09/12 04:36 AM Re: Regarding sight reading- help please [Re: PianoStudent88]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
Originally Posted By: keystring

.... Do you think you would have been open to this teaching *before* you hit a wall with your own muddle-through techniques?

An interesting set of questions, and you made me think. smile I should clarify that this involved a different instrument. The major hurdle was technical, but since you played a single line of notes reading was less a challenge than for piano. For your 2nd question, I think so, because I came as a mature student who had played a number of instruments self-taught for decades. The idea of managing to play pieces was not exciting since I had done that; learning how to play and being taught by a real teacher was exciting. So when I was shown how to do something, I was interested, while my teacher's experience was that students find it tedious and "spared" me.

Quote:
keystring, is there a different kind of teaching that could have gotten af your lacking skills, and taught them explicitly?

I know there was a more explicit way, since later I got exposed to that. I think it may also have to do with the proportion of time spent, and maybe what the teacher stresses that you should aim for, and maybe the pieces and exercises he chooses.

Addendum: I didn't really answer anything about reading music. (Came from a long trip yesterday). That was actually after returning to piano, which I had played self-taught as a child. By this time I no longer had a teacher, and I decided to learn sight reading and spent 10 - 15 minutes a day specifically on reading music. The rest of the time I tried to also work that way, making sure I was reading.

Edited by keystring (10/09/12 01:10 PM)
Edit Reason: addendum

#1970670 - 10/09/12 06:26 AM Re: Regarding sight reading- help please [Re: keystring]
atinm Offline

Loc: Cambridge, MA
I've found that sight-reading is really a self-motivated thing because you get better at sight-reading by doing sight-reading which is mostly done separate from the teacher. There is a "Guided Sight-Reading" book by Leonard Deutsch that talks about a method where the student is only taught via sight-reading for the first few years with the teacher and student both playing the same piece at the same time, with the student trying to hang on with the teacher and therefore learning sight-reading, dynamics, fingering etc all by imitation. I wish that is how I'd learned - but I intend to try this with my 4 year old son when he shows some interest in the piano beyond want to make noise with it!

But basically you have to find your "sight-reading level", which is the level where you can read comfortably and practice and try harder pieces ad infinitum wink

I am doing the "Sight-reading and Rhythm Every Day" books these days and they might be worth trying.

Edited by atinm (10/09/12 06:29 AM)
Edit Reason: book reference

#1970695 - 10/09/12 08:54 AM Re: Regarding sight reading- help please [Re: atinm]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: atinm
I intend to try this with my 4 year old son when he shows some interest in the piano beyond want to make noise with it!

There are scores that are perfect for 4 year-olds who want to make noise! Have a look at the Jatekok collection, György Kurtàg. Splendid material.

#1970697 - 10/09/12 09:05 AM Re: Regarding sight reading- help please [Re: landorrano]
atinm Offline

Loc: Cambridge, MA
Originally Posted By: landorrano
Originally Posted By: atinm
I intend to try this with my 4 year old son when he shows some interest in the piano beyond want to make noise with it!

There are scores that are perfect for 4 year-olds who want to make noise! Have a look at the Jatekok collection, György Kurtàg. Splendid material.

Thanks!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (ABC Vermonter, 36251, alans, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1343 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156343 Topics
2296251 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
Today at 07:22 PM
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
Today at 06:55 PM
Buying used piano for school district - need advice/cautions
by ChoralScholar
Today at 05:34 PM
Help with a leg!
by igirl
Today at 04:53 PM
Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why?
by alans
Today at 04:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission