Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
140 registered (36251, accordeur, Adypiano, 37 invisible), 1746 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Forum Stats
76988 Members
42 Forums
159241 Topics
2339242 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Topic Options
#1969049 - 10/05/12 10:18 AM adding my husband to the studio
Crayola Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Hello again,
It's been about a year since I've been on this forum. I must admit teaching has not been on the forefront of my mind this year as I got engaged, married, and also moved. But with life settling back down, it's time to get back into the teaching mentality. Anyway, my husband (who is also a music teacher) and I have decided to have him join my piano studio, but as a traveling teacher who teaches piano as well as other instruments. There seems to be a huge market in our area for teachers who will travel to students' homes, and I think that within a month he could build up a considerable clientele.

We are marketing and advertising ourselves as one business, and one team, so I'm wondering how that should look with studio policies, etc. Should he have his separate studio policies? If so, what is important for a traveling teacher to include? We are starting to get calls and emails from prospective students that are interested in him, and I feel pressure to have a working studio in place immediately! Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1969080 - 10/05/12 11:45 AM Re: adding my husband to the studio [Re: Crayola]
Dror Perl Offline

Loc: NY
Hello Crayola

I'd go with one global policy, keep it simple.

For traveling teacher you can emphasize this points:

1. Maintaining a piano in decent shape (at your students home)
2. Keeping an appropriate and quite environment during lessons. (to avoid excessive noise and other distractions)

good luck !

http://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

#1969085 - 10/05/12 11:58 AM Re: adding my husband to the studio [Re: Dror Perl]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: Dror Perl
Hello Crayola

I'd go with one global policy, keep it simple.

For traveling teacher you can emphasize this points:

1. Maintaining a piano in decent shape (at your students home)
2. Keeping an appropriate and quite environment during lessons. (to avoid excessive noise and other distractions)

good luck !

To add:
- adequate lighting
- pianist must have proper stool
(actually these should be in place no matter where the lesson is, but often aren't)
- lesson cancellation if child is sick (I find parents are happier to expose me to germs if they don't actually need to run risk of little Jonny throwing up in car)

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1969293 - 10/06/12 12:18 AM Re: adding my husband to the studio [Re: Crayola]
Crayola Offline

The thing we are both concerned about is that as a traveling teacher, could his studio policies regarding tuition and no makeups match what's worked for me for the last several years?

I have a monthly tuition system, and a swap list in place, in case of conflict. No makeups, unless ill. Most of my students are a short drive away and many of them know each other.

My husband would be in a completely different situation, and he's concerned that if he adopts to my studio policies, he would not gain any students. He's just in the process of building up and doesn't have a full schedule like I have. I'm afraid that if he's too lenient regarding makeups and lower fees, then non-committed parents will take advantage of him and not respect his livelihood.

So I guess what we're both wondering, and hoping for, is whether or not a traveling teacher can expect to find families that agree to a monthly tuition of $XX, and schedule perhaps one designated week of makeups per semester, if needed. No swaps, no reschedule, a flat monthly fee.

My families are used to it, as that's all they've known, and I'm sure this would help weed out families that are not as enthused about private music instruction. Are there any traveling teachers out there who don't charge per lesson?

#1969298 - 10/06/12 12:30 AM Re: adding my husband to the studio [Re: Crayola]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
When I was establishing my studio, I set up tuition immediately the way I wanted it long-term. Smartest thing I ever did. I found out what other teachers were charging and set my rate slightly higher. I started out with 5 students, then moved up to 12 within the year (which, at that time, was my limit). I could have added more if I wanted to do so.

I honestly don't think a traveling teacher needs to charge tuition differently, other than to make sure the fee includes enough to cover the costs of travel.

#1969308 - 10/06/12 01:09 AM Re: adding my husband to the studio [Re: Crayola]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: Crayola

So I guess what we're both wondering, and hoping for, is whether or not a traveling teacher can expect to find families that agree to a monthly tuition of $XX, and schedule perhaps one designated week of makeups per semester, if needed. No swaps, no reschedule, a flat monthly fee.

Sure he can find such committed families. They'll be thrilled to find a competent piano teacher who makes house calls.

#1969452 - 10/06/12 01:25 PM Re: adding my husband to the studio [Re: Crayola]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Crayola
The thing we are both concerned about is that as a traveling teacher, could his studio policies regarding tuition and no makeups match what's worked for me for the last several years?

I have a monthly tuition system, and a swap list in place, in case of conflict. No makeups, unless ill. Most of my students are a short drive away and many of them know each other.

My husband would be in a completely different situation, and he's concerned that if he adopts to my studio policies, he would not gain any students. He's just in the process of building up and doesn't have a full schedule like I have. I'm afraid that if he's too lenient regarding makeups and lower fees, then non-committed parents will take advantage of him and not respect his livelihood.

My families are used to it, as that's all they've known, and I'm sure this would help weed out families that are not as enthused about private music instruction. Are there any traveling teachers out there who don't charge per lesson?

If you're marketing yourselves as one studio and one business, then you should have one set of policies to maintain your integrity as a business.

I was a traveling teacher for a period of time, and I didn't charge per lesson simply because it did not guarantee the lesson beforehand and there would have been the issue of money at every lesson. There got to be a point where I (a) got tired of traveling across town and (b) began to feel uncomfortable carrying sums of cash across town because of the situations in society, so I moved onto other endeavors.

Edited by Bluoh (10/06/12 01:25 PM)

#1969453 - 10/06/12 01:27 PM Re: adding my husband to the studio [Re: Crayola]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Crayola,

I agree that it would be nice to have the same policies. I would start by having your husband write his policy and then compare to what your policies are. See where you find common ground.

It sounds like he wants to start with lower fees and offer make up lessons. I would advise him to charge monthly lesson fee as you do. And his fees may not be lower than yours when he factors in travelling.

You may end up with two policies: One for In-Home lessons and one for In-Studio lessons. They may differ in fees and policy regarding lessons cancelled by the client. I see no problem with that.

Good luck to him in getting started. smile

#1969490 - 10/06/12 03:18 PM Re: adding my husband to the studio [Re: Overexposed]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky

You may end up with two policies: One for In-Home lessons and one for In-Studio lessons. They may differ in fees and policy regarding lessons cancelled by the client. I see no problem with that.

That works too, when you explicitly specify a different set of policies for in-home and in-studio lessons, since you're talking about marketing and branding. However, I wouldn't phrase it like "my husband's policies are... " as if you were two different enterprises.

#1969542 - 10/06/12 05:57 PM Re: adding my husband to the studio [Re: Bluoh]
Crayola Offline

Well, we've come up with his policy, which is very similar to mine with the monthly fee. I think he's in agreement that a monthly tuition system will eventually work better and be more stable.
Although I offer makeups for sick students, we decided it would be too much of a headache for him, so we're reserving one week at the end of each semester that we are doing makeups. Perhaps next year I'll do that as well. Also, he won't be using a swap list.
So, I think despite a few differences, we've come up with something that will hopefully work. We'll consider reworking it again next summer if we see the need.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
questions about tuning the top octave
by musicalman
11/21/14 11:50 AM
Resources for Preparing for the Tuning and Technical Exam
by pgmitch
11/21/14 10:48 AM
Blind comparison/review of the interpretation of a piece?
by anamnesis
11/21/14 10:26 AM
Korg SV-1
by Mind Flayer
11/21/14 08:49 AM
Steinway k-52
by Kingfish_g6
11/21/14 08:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission