Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1969188 - 10/05/12 05:10 PM Does My 1922 Steinway Model O Have Its Original Strings?
AndyJ Offline

Loc: Near Dayton, Ohio USA
My last question set off such an interesting discussion that I can't wait to see what this one gets.

The mover took one look at the bottom of my 1922 Steinway Model O's soundboard and said it's been replaced. My technician agreed that's likely, given its excellent condition. It seems highly likely the strings were replaced at the same time. I'm wondering whether there are any giveaways that would tell me a) that mine are not the original strings and b) approximately when they were replaced.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1969199 - 10/05/12 05:30 PM Re: Does My 1922 Steinway Model O Have Its Original Strings? [Re: AndyJ]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

a. If your Steinway's soundboard has been replaced, its strings have been replaced. Period. If the soundboard when looking at the bottom side of the piano looks light in color (aka isn't dark brown), it is almost certain to have been replaced, as not many rebuilders will go through the trouble of cosmetic work down there.

b. No. Some pianos that are 25 years old have strings that look new. Some pianos that are a year old have strings that look old. It all depends on how well the piano is taken care of.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1969259 - 10/05/12 09:28 PM Re: Does My 1922 Steinway Model O Have Its Original Strings? [Re: AndyJ]
Ed Foote Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Greetings,
I have seen a number of elderly Steinways that had nearly pristine finishes on the bottom. There will be some yellowing to an older board, and if it is white, it is new.
I think the real clues would be around the edges. How does the quarter-round look along the straight side? hard to disturb it, replace a board, and get it back without the surrounding finish showing something.
Examine the reinforcement found along the treble section, on the leading edge of the soundboard above the dampers. If it is factory, there will be a 45 degree angle to that joint, most others just screw on a straight piece of wood, without understanding what is happening there. It is a rare factory board that isn't fitted beautifully around the edges, at least, not in this vintage.

Original strings in some of the Steinways outperform new wire, so it is not necessarily a bad thing to have. I don't know why this is so, but new wire is often less musical ( less sustain, muddier spectra, false beating). I have incontrovertible ( geez, I have wanted to use that word for months) evidence that somehow, in 1914, one of these pianos could be strung with less false beats than the majority of new ones today.
Regards,

#1969285 - 10/05/12 11:29 PM Re: Does My 1922 Steinway Model O Have Its Original Strings? [Re: AndyJ]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Ed, What is the evidence? Is it the quality of the strings? Or the skill of the stringer? false beats are a continuing problem.

#1969296 - 10/06/12 12:24 AM Re: Does My 1922 Steinway Model O Have Its Original Strings? [Re: AndyJ]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I think my piano probably wins the false beat award. Seriously, I want to burn the darn thing sometimes....
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1969351 - 10/06/12 06:20 AM Re: Does My 1922 Steinway Model O Have Its Original Strings? [Re: Dave B]
Ed Foote Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Dave B
Ed, What is the evidence? Is it the quality of the strings? Or the skill of the stringer? false beats are a continuing problem.

Greetings,
I wish I knew. After 36 years of this, I am still baffled, at times. Many are easy to remedy, just change the wire. This is the most common source I have found in new, expensive, American made grands, and I wonder if careless stringing and chipping is to blame. I use the same wire and see far, far few problems with false beating. I have seen the factory stringers, and I think they go way too fast to avoid overstressing a significant number of strings from C6 up.
My "evidence" is a number of older pianos that out-sing the new ones. Among them is a 1914 model O that I completely replaced the action in, but left the original stringing. I did this because it sounds better than the new one it is next to in a professor's studio. She prefers the older one to a 2000 model L. The older piano has one or two questionable strings, the new one, dozens. Actually, all new models of this brand have numerous un-tunable strings!
I am told that virtually all steel today has some recycled metal in it, and that contaminants like copper cause wire to be weaker,whereas, in 1914, all the metal was being smelted from virgin iron ore. I am not a metallurgist, so I can be easily led by logic rather than knowledge on this one.

Other false beats go away when I lightly massage the wire against the bridge pin. This is done with a very small hook, right in front of the pin on the speaking length. Others yet are persistent.
Jim Ellis and James Arledge did some research that indicated that a false beat would always occur when the curvature of the music wire aligned at 45 degrees to the hammer's direction. Not against it, or sideways to it, but 45 degrees off of vertical. Hmm. I have gotten rid of one impossible beat by loosening the wire, turning the coil one revolution, and then putting the string(plain wire) back on. I have also had them break when I tried this...

I suppose the best approach to false beats is the most experienced one; give it your best shot, and then continue on. The beginner will spend a lot more time before deciding it's wasted effort than I will !
Regards,

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (acortot, Anne'sson, angelsong, 35 invisible), 1504 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153542 Topics
2250172 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
04/18/14 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
04/18/14 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:06 AM
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
04/18/14 01:21 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission