Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1969227 - 10/05/12 07:47 PM Can anyone confirm the NU1 MSRP in America?
Sgt T Offline

Loc: San Diego County
Hello Everyone!

As mentioned above, I need some assistance in obtaining the MSRP for the NU1. I have searched the internet relentlessly for this information; however, I did stumble upon Larry Fine Piano Buyer Guide, fall edition. In the price section it has the NU1 listed at a MSRP of 5495.

On a more serious note, I went to a local piano store today, which is the only Yamaha dealer in the San Diego area; they have the NU1 listed at an MSRP of 6495! Can this be right? Moreover, I just want to check the facts before I dive right in. Frankly, I was offered the piano at around 5200, which does NOT include tax or delivery,totaling around 5770! YIKES!! Of course, I nodded my head, about-faced, and ran like a bat out of h*ll because the MSRP sounded rather specious to me. *GASP*

Anyways, I'm fairly new to the forum in terms of posting, but I have been a grumpy old troll for the past six months or so. Likewise, I have tried the Kawai 65 & 95, but I feel in love with the touch of the NU1. Any information would be helpful!

Edited by Sgt T (10/05/12 07:57 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1969237 - 10/05/12 08:06 PM Re: Can anyone confirm Yamaha NU1 MSRP in America? [Re: Sgt T]
PianoWorksATL Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I think you can call Yamaha to confirm details like MSRP. The Piano Buyer is a good source, but the timing of publication could have missed a price increase.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1970048 - 10/07/12 09:55 PM Re: Can anyone confirm the NU1 MSRP in America? [Re: Sgt T]
Jadis Offline

FYI someone told me they got a NU1 for $3870 'out the door' in Southern California. I got mine for $3999 + tax and delivery in the Seattle area.

#1970104 - 10/08/12 12:02 AM Re: Can anyone confirm the NU1 MSRP in America? [Re: Sgt T]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have to a laugh. I've never seen the same MSRP on two identical Yamaha pianos in two stores in my life. Even when the stores belonged to the same owner they simultaneously had different MSRPs. At least cars have stickers in their window. Piano dealers make car dealers look good.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#1970121 - 10/08/12 01:19 AM Re: Can anyone confirm the NU1 MSRP in America? [Re: Sgt T]
EPW Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
The latest Keyboard magazine has it Listed as $5500.00

#1970198 - 10/08/12 07:25 AM Re: Can anyone confirm the NU1 MSRP in America? [Re: Sgt T]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I think pianobuyer.com is trustworthy. If it says $5495, I'd go with that.

I wonder why is it that have an urgent need to know the MSRP?

#1970367 - 10/08/12 03:45 PM Re: Can anyone confirm the NU1 MSRP in America? [Re: MacMacMac]
Sgt T Offline

In response to MacMacMac, I plan to in a couple of weeks make the daunting decision between the NU1 or the Kawai 95. At this moment, I'm gravitating towards the NU1 because of the acoustic action, which I adore compared to the archaic Technics PCS 25 in my living room. Since this will be a major purchase for me, the first time, I want to make sure that I'm not getting ripped off.

On a more serious note, I called around a couple of places in southern California and they have the NU listed at 5495 MSRP, one dealer even mention that Yamaha has told them to "increase" the MSRP, indeed, some rather specious to me. Anyways, I taught it was quite strange, at first, to find the dealer listing the NU1 at above 1,000 dollars from its MSRP of 5495. Again, I just want to make sure that I'm not getting the run-around because this is my first time, purchasing a piano.

Edited by Sgt T (10/08/12 03:53 PM)

#1970428 - 10/08/12 05:53 PM Re: Can anyone confirm the NU1 MSRP in America? [Re: Sgt T]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Sgt T: The prices-paid thread is usually a good resource for many digital piano purchases. But the NU1 is quite new, and no one has yet listed a purchase price of an NU1.

In general, starting with the list price I would deduct 35% and make that my offer. So if the list price is $5500, I'd offer $3600 ... and accept a counter offer of $3900.

Be conscious of the dealer's delivery charge before you make an offer (because the dealer might pad the delivery charge to make up for a low selling price).

Good luck.

#1970717 - 10/09/12 10:04 AM Re: Can anyone confirm the NU1 MSRP in America? [Re: Sgt T]
enzo.sandrolini Offline

Loc: Europe - France
Originally Posted By: Sgt T
In response to MacMacMac, I plan to in a couple of weeks make the daunting decision between the NU1 or the Kawai 95. At this moment, I'm gravitating towards the NU1 because of the acoustic action, which I adore compared to the archaic Technics PCS 25 in my living room. Since this will be a major purchase for me, the first time, I want to make sure that I'm not getting ripped off.

Hello
May I ask you if you have tried both pianos (CA95 and NU1) ?
About the price, I cannot help you as I got mine in Europe (France)
Cheers,

#1970788 - 10/09/12 01:05 PM Re: Can anyone confirm the NU1 MSRP in America? [Re: enzo.sandrolini]
Sgt T Offline

Quote:

In general, starting with the list price I would deduct 35% and make that my offer. So if the list price is $5500, I'd offer $3600 ... and accept a counter offer of $3900.

Be conscious of the dealer's delivery charge before you make an offer (because the dealer might pad the delivery charge to make up for a low selling price).

Thanks for the advice, MacMacMac!

Quote:

Hello
May I ask you if you have tried both pianos (CA95 and NU1) ?
About the price, I cannot help you as I got mine in Europe (France)
Cheers,

Yes, I had a chance to play both pianos; however, I found the action on the CA 95 to be rather light, to my taste. I prefer a much heavier action and the NU1, quite rightly, has the touch I'm looking for in a digital piano that fits my budget.

Both pianos are remarkable, in their own right, but I found the NU1 to be more expressive when playing it. Of course, this is a rather subjective observation from a person-me, who has been taking lessons for roughly 7 months.

Confirmed with Yamaha US yesterday: MSRP 5495 US

Edited by Sgt T (10/09/12 01:11 PM)

#1970832 - 10/09/12 02:25 PM Re: Can anyone confirm the NU1 MSRP in America? [Re: Sgt T]
enzo.sandrolini Offline

Loc: Europe - France
Originally Posted By: Sgt T

Yes, I had a chance to play both pianos; however, I found the action on the CA 95 to be rather light, to my taste. I prefer a much heavier action and the NU1, quite rightly, has the touch I'm looking for in a digital piano that fits my budget.

Both pianos are remarkable, in their own right, but I found the NU1 to be more expressive when playing it. Of course, this is a rather subjective observation from a person-me, who has been taking lessons for roughly 7 months.

Ok, thanks for sharing your opinions, and that is also exactly the reason why I made the choice of the NU1, but the Kawai is also a great piano (but I preferred heavier touch which is identical to my teacher piano)
Good luck for your purchase

Edited by enzo.sandrolini (10/09/12 03:52 PM)

#1970861 - 10/09/12 03:31 PM Re: Can anyone confirm the NU1 MSRP in America? [Re: Sgt T]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Sgt T -

FWIW, I think MacMacMac is giving very good advice. Whether you get a good deal or not doesn't depend so much on what the theoretical list price is. It depends more on how effectively you negotiate.

You already have a little bit of information regarding the price range for actual transactions, which are obviously quite a bit lower than any MSRP you've heard quoted. That's useful.

The MSRP is basically a negotiating tool for the dealer. It creates so-called "anchor" price: the higher he says it is, the more tempted you may be to take a price favorable to him. But in the end, it's totally up to you whether you accept the validity of an MSRP as a justification for a particular price offer from the dealer.

Your best tool in the negotiation is your BATNA: your "best alternative to a negotiated agreement." In other words, you have the choice to buy an NU1, or go buy something else, or even postpone the purchase. Unless you actually say to the dealer that the NU1 is your be-all and end-all of digital pianos (a mistake, in my view), he will have an incentive to negotiate more aggressively, believing that he has serious competition.

You can say to the dealer, in essence, "I've evaluated several high-end digital pianos. A couple of them suit my needs. I'm ready to buy one today. I think the NU1 (or the CA95, whichever) is a great instrument, and I'd like to own one, but I need to stay within my budget." Then make an offer of the kind MacMacMac proposed. This kind of approach doesn't have to be confrontational. A good dealer will accord more respect to a buyer who has done his homework, and who maintains a confident and friendly tone.

IMO, when you've made up your mind to buy a piano, you have to walk into the store and convince the dealer of two things: first, that you are ready to buy one today (so he knows you aren't just pulling his chain); and, second, that you are willing to walk away if you don't get a price you consider fair.

Kind regards,

B.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
Who's Online
125 registered (36251, ando, anamnesis, anotherscott, angga888, 34 invisible), 1402 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76651 Members
42 Forums
158487 Topics
2327500 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission