2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I think it's just human nature to be a bit reticent about leaving one teacher for another - for any reason - and a common response is to just stop communicating. It's not ideal, but I think we have to live with it.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
If your colleague is as lame as seems to be the case, your student will figure this out and be calling you again in about a month. I learned this while living in an apartment. You'd always wish a certain annoying person was gone, and then poof, they'd disappear. It turns out those people can't hold jobs for long, or be stable at anything, so they end up leaving before too long.

For fun, you could try to get the student back by running a competition which you judge, and giving her/him first place!! Ha, ha!

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by sonataplayer
I've been following this post for awhile, and I seem to have a different take on it than everyone else. Couldn't all the hard feelings have been avoided if the student's Mom had just communicated that she was changing teachers, not because of any dissatisfaction with chasingrainbows' teaching but merely because their schedules didn't mesh.

I would be more upset with the student's Mom than the other teacher. Yes, the student's Mom had every right to switch teachers, but isn't it just common courtesy to tell chasingrainbows the reason why?

Hi Sonataplayer, without elaborating on all the finer details, within a span of one week, mom advises (3 days' notice) she's dropping her slot and would like another day/time. My other available slots didn't work for her. She said she would then wait until until an earlier slot opened up, and also asked about private lessons. She is outside my area. Truthfully, I thought, as she stated, that she would wait (waiting period wouldn't be more than a few weeks) for a spot to open up in my schedule. Communication was poor as she never answered her phone, and took days to answer emails.

The issue for me was more the fact that the teacher, whom I shared recitals with, helped her throughout her transition into the store with all her questions and requests for music and ideas, never told me she was taking the student. Maybe I'm an idealist, but I think if more teachers said "well I think you should wait for an opening in your teacher's schedule", (or whatever situation), parents wouldn't constantly be changing scheduling and teachers. It's very frustrating for student and teachers. And I find it discourteous. I wouldn't be nearly as upset if this was just a teacher I exchanged hellos with.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Sonataplayer, without elaborating on all the finer details, within a span of one week, mom advises (3 days' notice) she's dropping her slot and would like another day/time. My other available slots didn't work for her. She said she would then wait until until an earlier slot opened up, and also asked about private lessons. She is outside my area. Truthfully, I thought, as she stated, that she would wait (waiting period wouldn't be more than a few weeks) for a spot to open up in my schedule. Communication was poor as she never answered her phone, and took days to answer emails.

The issue for me was more the fact that the teacher, whom I shared recitals with, helped her throughout her transition into the store with all her questions and requests for music and ideas, never told me she was taking the student. Maybe I'm an idealist, but I think if more teachers said "well I think you should wait for an opening in your teacher's schedule", (or whatever situation), parents wouldn't constantly be changing scheduling and teachers. It's very frustrating for student and teachers. And I find it discourteous. I wouldn't be nearly as upset if this was just a teacher I exchanged hellos with.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Candywoman
If your colleague is as lame as seems to be the case, your student will figure this out and be calling you again in about a month. I learned this while living in an apartment. You'd always wish a certain annoying person was gone, and then poof, they'd disappear. It turns out those people can't hold jobs for long, or be stable at anything, so they end up leaving before too long.

For fun, you could try to get the student back by running a competition which you judge, and giving her/him first place!! Ha, ha!

Ha ha, love that suggestion, Candywoman. You're right though, one can only hide behind others' ideas for so long.

M
M
For what it's worth, when I get an inquiry from a local transfer student, I first mail them my policy sheet, and tell them to contact me again after they have read it, if they still want to enroll. Included in my policy sheet are comments that I do not accept students who have an outstanding balance with their previous teacher, and that courtesy demands that they give their former teacher notice. If and when they call back, I ask why they are switching teachers. If they were dissatisfied with something, I ask whether they discussed it with the teacher to give him or her a chance to address the problem. If not, I encourage them to do so. Sometimes, their answer reveals more of a problem with the student than with the teacher. Each situation is different, but I don't accept transfer students unless I'm confident that they have left their other teacher ethically. It is the student's responsibility to notify the previous teacher, not mine; but I do take some initiative in trying to remind them of that responsibility.

I don't always get the same treatment, but that's a reflection on the other teachers, not on me. I can still sleep at night knowing that I've done the right thing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission