2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mark NM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hey all,
I used to play an acoustic piano until a couple of years ago.
Now I want to get a digital piano, but since I can't play every day I've figured I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on it. Its only use is at home, since I love to play Bach for my personal enjoyment. smile

I'm torn between the p105 (GHS) and the CP33 (GH). The p155 is above my budget.

My piano had a relatively light touch, so if the only difference between GH and GHS is that kind of weight, I'd go for the GHS.

Are there other objective implications with the GH(E)?
And eventually: would you suggest other pianos at around 700-800€?

Thank in advance!

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mark NM
I'm torn between the p105 (GHS) and the CP33 (GH). The p155 is above my budget.

My piano had a relatively light touch, so if the only difference between GH and GHS is that kind of weight, I'd go for the GHS.
would you suggest other pianos at around 700-800€?

In the U.S., the CP33 and P155 sell for the same price, but I guess that doesn't help you! I think GHS is perfectly playable. As I've said before, I'm even ambivalent about the CP33/P155 being better because I actually find them to be on the heavy side for my taste, so I don't rave about any of them. Obviously, you should try them yourself to see what you think, but I don't see any reason to automatically rule out one or the other. I'd also look to play the new Casio PX-150/350.

Personally, my opinion of GHS vs GH

GHS:
- Feels lighter
- Has more key wobble from side to side
- Feels like the build quality is cheap / flimsy
- Does a terrible job at reproducing the touch of a grand piano needed for an intermediate / advanced player

I do most of my practicing on a grand, but still a good amount on my FP-7F. I'm pretty pussy about digital piano touch and feel that even the PHA-III is garbage compared to the real thing, plus makes my wrists ache - I problem I never have on an acoustic. I would consider myself a pretty advanced classical pianist.

I've owned a P-155 in the past, and honestly feel that it's a necessary step up from any DP with the GHS action for any pianist.

Kawai CA-65, AKG K702, M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Pianoteq, VI Labs Ravenscroft
Macbook Pro 15-inch 2010
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
In my opinion, it is but it depends on your background and what you play. Although I studied classical for 13 years, I strictly write songs, play Billy Joel/Elton John, blues and some jazz.

Because I infrequently play on an acoustic anymore I am satisfied with it,but do find the PX130 gives a little more bounce back.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
In the past I played the GHS action on several occasions and came away very unimpressed. I used to own a GH piano and I felt that it was much better.

However, today I spent an hour in a local piano store playing the new P105 (for some reason they did not have an GH-action pianos). It didn't feel bad to me, actually. I know in my head it's the same action I used to not like, but it felt fine on this occasion. I guess I'm kind of changing my mind on the subject of whether there is really a big difference between GH and GHS. Unfortunately even an hour or two playing is not enough to really know. To be really familiar, you'd have to own them both for a while.

I also played an FP7F right next to the Yamaha. I liked the action better (it feels smoother, but there's less going on between top and bottom and then it bottoms out a little harder). The difference in quality was not as big as I had expected, though. And I personally prefer keys with smooth plastic instead of that imitation ivory stuff that Roland uses.

I have played Casios in the past and not been impressed, but it's been a long time. I'd really love to try out the PX130 or PX150 and see if my opinion on that subject is changing as well, but I just can't find a nearby store that has them. I'd definitely say give them a look if you can.

Last edited by gvfarns; 10/06/12 04:53 PM.
M
Mark NM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
I see there are mixed opinions and now I have more information on GHS to think about.
I take it it's subjective after all?
What I'm more concerned about is the ability of this action to produce quality output.
It's somewhat lighter than GH, but could things have changed with the new p105? Action doesn't necessarily imply lightweight keys (this can be changed with different systems).

Perhaps it's time to try one of the new Casios.

P
P
Mark, you stated the price range in Euros, which suggest you live in Europe. What puzzles me is that both P155 and CP33 are way above your stated price range in Europe...(at least on the Thomann web page).

Also, you choose between slab-style pianos, while cabinet-style pianos (ydp-161 for Yamaha) are often cheaper here. Do you have a reason to go for a slab?

Anyway, you asked about other pianos. FWIW, cabinet-style Kawai CL-36 (~900€) is cheaper than any Yamaha with the GH action, while having (IMHO) even better action. Also the stand and the 3-pedal unit is included, unlike your choices...

Kawai CA65 :: Galaxy: Vintage D, Vienna Grand, Giant :: Pianoteq 5 :: Kontakt 5 :: Reaper :: True Keys pianos
M
Mark NM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by PtJaa
Mark, you stated the price range in Euros, which suggest you live in Europe. What puzzles me is that both P155 and CP33 are way above your stated price range in Europe...(at least on the Thomann web page).

Also, you choose between slab-style pianos, while cabinet-style pianos (ydp-161 for Yamaha) are often cheaper here. Do you have a reason to go for a slab?

Anyway, you asked about other pianos. FWIW, cabinet-style Kawai CL-36 (~900€) is cheaper than any Yamaha with the GH action, while having (IMHO) even better action. Also the stand and the 3-pedal unit is included, unlike your choices...

Correct, I'm in Europe. Here you can buy a CP33 for ~820€, while a P155 would cost 1100€ (can't find it without some bundle).

You're totally right, I forgot to movitate my slab choice. It doesn't necessarily have to be a slab, but I've figured my desk is big enough to accomodate one, and that would simplify cable management (I'll eventually hook it up to my computer).

Thank you for suggesting the CL-36, I'm reading about it already!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Funny you mention the GHS in a new light. My DGX 620 isn`t the best action around, and compared to the Kawai I got rid of, was inferior by far. But now I`m used to it and my "Piano Test Pieces" are easily playable. I think it takes time, and ya get used to it.

I`d be scared stiff of a true grand . . .they always sound outa tune . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
I have a p155. It's better than the GHS. I did do lots of comparing. but as I practice more and gets faster and more accurate, I do find that the GH action is heavy. I wish it was lighter.

My blog tracking my progress as I learn the piano.

http://www.pianoendeavour.blogspot.com
I sold DGX640 and bought CL-36. Got it for 800€ (as display model, normal price 900€). Very happy so far, only problem was with distance of pedals (too close to me), so if you are tall, try it first before you buy.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission