2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
SamXu Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, I'll be discussing the result with my teacher this tuesday. :P gonna be a verrryy interesting lesson...

HSC pieces:
Shostakovich Piano Concerto op 102. movement 1
Chopin Op10 No1
Debussy Broulliards Preludes Bk1
Kats-Chernin Russian Rag
Messiaen Regard d'letoile
Mozart Sonata for 2 pianos D major
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
....and remember, there's TWO questions within it!

-- What did the phrase mean? i.e. what Plover and I said, or what Ando and others said, or what Ferdinand said.

-- And of course, what specifically might it have meant about your playing.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Debussyist -- what exam was this from?

SamXu Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by LadyChen
Debussyist -- what exam was this from?

This was from AmusA from AMEB. :P The requirements are crazy.

HSC pieces:
Chopin Op10 No1
Kats-Chernin Russian Rag
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Maybe what ando had said in the other thread you started is indeed the problem of your performance (a little bit too student-like)?

Originally Posted by ando
What grade are you sitting? Is it Amus? I've heard that he's very tough on Amus exams, he expects a very professional performance rather than a student type performance, but he's apparently a bit gentler on lower grades. I would say you should present yourself confidently and professionally. I don't think he likes mousy, shy types so much - thinks they aren't ready for their ambitions.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I take the term quite broadly to be how something is usually played that isn't explicitly in the score: retards, articulation, touch, what counter melody to bring out, and so on.

Also, I take it to mean just about any choice we make on stage. According to convention, when does a woman wear a gown, or slacks and a blouse, when does a man wear a tux, or jeans and a sports jacket, how do we sit, where do we stand, how deeply do we bow, how broadly do we smile, or not at all?

Tomasino

Last edited by tomasino; 10/07/12 11:32 AM.

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
In light of Ando's comments about this examiner, and thinking about what tomasino said, it very well could be a stage presence sort of thing.

I was watching some performers at our local music festival this spring, and in one of the senior piano classes, the performer walked up to the piano, sat down, then turned tentatively and said "Should I start?" and the adjudicator said yes. She played well enough, and at the end, played her last chord, made an unhappy face, shrugged, and got up and left the stage. For me, it was cringe-worthy.

One of my pet peeves is when musicians look apologetic at the end of a performance. I want to see some professionalism at this level -- look confident even if you don't feel like it. And at the end of a piece, END IT. As in, do something to tell the audience that you're done -- like lift your hands from the keys and place them in your lap. Or whatever -- it's kind of like how a conductor keeps the baton up between movements but lets his arms go down after the last movement. It makes the audience feel better when they know what to do.

These little things always seemed like common sense to me until I watched young (late teens) pianists fail to do them, and it really looks awful. Maybe some teachers aren't talking about these things with their students?

SamXu Offline OP
OP Offline
Hmm. I had been sick from a cough during that day (and the week before...) and I...umm....i coughed...while i was playing the brahms. :L That would've affected my chances of passing i belivee.

HSC pieces:
Chopin Op10 No1
Kats-Chernin Russian Rag
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I truly hope coughing wouldn't screw up your chances of passing. I did a voice exam a couple years ago with the flu and my teacher told me to make it really obvious I was sick -- blow my nose and cough a lot between songs lol (not that I could have helped it anyways -- i really was sick!). I got an okay mark (not a great mark) and the examiner wrote "Candidate is visibly suffering from an illness." on my exam comments.

Originally Posted by Debbusyist
Hmm. I had been sick from a cough during that day (and the week before...) and I...umm....i coughed...while i was playing the brahms. :L That would've affected my chances of passing i belivee.
Unless someone made no attempt to stifle a mild cough, I can't see why any judge would take off for coughing itself anymore than they'd take off for sneezing. Some coughs just can't be suppressed. But if the coughing somehow prevented you from playing properly than it could have indirectly lowered your grade. But the coughing in itself didn't lower your grade.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission