Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1969562 - 10/06/12 07:06 PM Has anybody tried Presto Keys?
Chrislw Offline

I'm just curious as to whether or not anyone has tried presto keys. It's a sight reading game in which notes and chords scroll horizontally across the staff and you play the note(s) on a keyboard at the exact time they cross a red line. There's a free version available online, but if you pay about $30, you're given a passcode that will unlock more features and allow you to use a midi keyboard.

I'm thinking about trying it, but want to know if anyone else has had any experience with it before I do. Or even if you haven't, does the website look legitimate? I'm a little hesitant about purchasing it.

www.prestokeys.com

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1969573 - 10/06/12 07:44 PM Re: Has anybody tried Presto Keys? [Re: Chrislw]
MartyPapa Offline

Hi Chris

I'm the developer of PrestoKeys. My recommendation is you try out the free version for a bit (if you haven't already), and if it runs smoothly, then the Pro version will also.

I've had many positive emails detailing how quickly people have been improving, so I was just wondering what's holding you back and what PrestoKeys could improve on? I ask this mainly because I'm starting to work on a major update to bring PrestoKeys to all devices, improve the overall performance and add some more really nice features. It won't be finished any time soon, but I'm collecting as much feedback as possible so I can work it in to the new version.

By the way, here is a discount coupon code for 30% off:
DiscountPlease

Regards
Marty

#1969597 - 10/06/12 09:24 PM Re: Has anybody tried Presto Keys? [Re: Chrislw]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Tried it about two years ago, didn't like it. It may have been improved to some extent since then, but I'm pretty sure Synthesia is a much better choice and more versatile, in this category of piano sheet music software.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#1969598 - 10/06/12 09:32 PM Re: Has anybody tried Presto Keys? [Re: Chrislw]
Chrislw Offline

Marty-

My main concern is that there might be a delay between the time I hit the key and when it is recognized. I tried it free for the ten minutes, but after adjusting the settings and everything, my time ran out before I could do it long enough to really see if it worked good. I didn't get to adjust the tempo and calibrate the metronome etc...
If there is a bit of a delay, is there anything I can do on my end to speed it up? I'm interested in trying it again.

Edited by Chrislw (10/06/12 09:33 PM)

#1969658 - 10/07/12 02:15 AM Re: Has anybody tried Presto Keys? [Re: Chrislw]
MartyPapa Offline

At the moment it's written in Java and uses it's midi functions, so the delay you experience will depend heavily on the system you are using and how well the sound card plays with Java. This is one of the reasons I'm doing a complete remake. If you are experiencing quite a bit of delay, you could wait a year or two for the update.

#1969904 - 10/07/12 03:53 PM Re: Has anybody tried Presto Keys? [Re: Chrislw]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I use and like Presto Keys. I particularly appreciate how you can set it to quiz you only on certain sub-sets of notes on a particular clef (i.e. just ledger lines, or just the low notes of the bass clef), a feature lacking in similar software I've used. I have the paid version and I haven't noticed any lag when using it with my DP, but I'm on a Mac and they're not prone to midi-lag.

Does the free version of Synesthesia even let you use the sheet music feature? I personally see no point in learning to play music via Synesthesia's other (falling lines) mode -- it strikes me as monkey-training of specific songs rather than teaching a widely useful skill like reading music. But YMMV -- I happen to really enjoy being able to read sheet music, so cultivating the skill is very rewarding for me.

Edited by tangleweeds (10/07/12 03:55 PM)

neglected piano blog

#1969981 - 10/07/12 07:11 PM Re: Has anybody tried Presto Keys? [Re: Chrislw]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
There are no sheet music features whatsoever in the free edition. I have the paid version and though the sheet music feature is far from perfect, I haven't seen better in this price category.

Actually I like the sheet music setup in Notation Composer (paid version) a lot - lot - better than the one in Synthesia, but there's no interactivity in NC like in Synthesia, where you can have the song stop until you press the right note.

I think you can use Synthesia to improve sight reading, at least for simple songs, but it needs a lot of improvement.

Edited by Pianotehead (10/07/12 07:12 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
Today at 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Böhm
by Johan B
Today at 03:40 PM
Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD?
by login
Today at 03:18 PM
Recording the results of Pianoteq
by Roger Ransom
Today at 01:35 PM
Coolest Back Action I have Seen
by Steve Jackson
Today at 11:55 AM
Who's Online
142 registered (ajames, accordeur, A Guy, 37 invisible), 1550 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158474 Topics
2327311 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission