2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1964442 09/25/12 07:09 PM
Y
Yamo Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Hi, this is my first time posting, but i have been a regular at this site for a while.

A few weeks ago i was in the market for a DP and narrowed down the chocies to the Casio PX 130 and the Yamaha P95.

While doing some research on the Yamaha P95, i found out that the P105 was coming out and that it is an upgrade over the P95.

Well, I paid an extra $100 and pre-ordered the P105 for $600. It came a week ago and have been playing it non stop.

The grand piano sound is ok through the speakers, great through ear phones and awesome when hooked up to an amp. The Grand Piano 2 voicing is "brighter" than GP1 but still decent.

The other 4 piano voicings are variations of an electronic piano. I dont really care for them as I only wanted a good GP sound.

The keys are heavy to the touch, much more than I had expected. The piano is not heavy at all and the only issue i have with it is the lack of a true midi slot.

I am glad I went with this piano over the Casio and the Px130. The post on this site really helped me make my decision.

V
V
I have a Yamaha P-85, and i love it too laugh. Excellent for beginners on a very low budget laugh. As you know, you can combine 2 voices (by pressing the 2 buttons at the same time). You should try pressing the GP1 and GP2 buttons. It sounds strange, but in a cool way xD (i love how it sounds, but you could totally hate it).

Also, the "strings" voice is excellent for accompaniment on any other voice (i love the harpsichord).

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Yamaha p-105b
Well, I paid an extra $100 and pre-ordered the P105 for $600. It came a week ago and have been playing it non stop.

Any chance for a DPBSD MP3? I'm quite curious about this DP.

I'm a P90 player - using it for gigs and haven't found anything better for a Grand Piano sound in that price range (about £700 or $1100)... yet! It's also very good for using in recordings smile

Writing fun and original jazzy, bluesy, soulful and latin piano sheets at OllysPianoSheets.com smile
Y
Yamo Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
I have tried the dual voicing mode (GP+strings).

In this model, there is a feature to adjust the balance between the two voicings in dual mode, but when I press the button, i dont detect any changes as the strings seems to overpower the GP and I would like the strings to be a bit softer.

S
S
Do the keys feel like a real acoustic piano? I'm looking for keys with really heavy touch. The only ones I found was the Roland V Piano and DP90S.

Y
Yamo Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
trust me, the keys on this thing are heavy to the touch!

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Sepharite
Do the keys feel like a real acoustic piano? I'm looking for keys with really heavy touch. The only ones I found was the Roland V Piano and DP90S.

There have been a number of pianos mentioned in this thread, so I'm not sure which you're asking about, but the P105 is supposed to have the same action as the P95, so it would be a relatively light touch.

Though also, I think the V PIano has a relatively light touch (though it feels nothing like the P95). I don't know what a DP90S is. But if you prefer a heavier touch, I'd suggest trying a Kawai, or some of the other Yamahas (P155/CP33/CP300/CP50 would be possibilities, which all use the same action), maybe a Korg like the SV1, all depending also on what else you're looking for.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sepharite
Originally Posted by anotherscott
There have been a number of pianos mentioned in this thread, so I'm not sure which you're asking about, but the P105 is supposed to have the same action as the P95, so it would be a relatively light touch.
It does and it is. There are several things I really like about the new P105 but I cannot sense any change in the action you are familiar with.

It's certainly heavy enough to simulate piano but on the light side of average. The PX-130 was about average and the new PX-150 is on the firm side of average.

I'm going to have to press Roland for some clarification of the "Deluxe PHA III w/escapement" vs "PHA III Ivory Feel-S w/escapement" as I now notice more of these distinctions in the literature. I really thought it was related to the different keytops they had made but now I'm less sure. The Roland DP-90 is the next gen iteration of the DP-990F. The DP-90S is the high polish version of the same. But in the lit, they mention the two variations of the PHA III w/escapement. Looking at our LX-15, RG-1F & FP-7F, the LX-15 and RG-1F have a 2-part, 2-tone sharp (the plastic on the side of the key is more the color of wood) but on the FP-7F the visible part looks like one piece. However, the tops of the keys looks the same on the FP-7F and LX-15 but has a different texture pattern on the RG-1F.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
B
B
Hi Sam,

Could you elaborate more on the key action of the P-105 and PX150. Both in terms of feel, playability, closeness to acoustic action, and key to piano sound coordination.

Also, in your opinion how do the GP sounds compare between the two.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I went back to SA do decompress after 3 15 hour work days in a row and concur the P105 is a wonderful instrument. Even though it has the same GHS action as the 95 it is different, it seems to be a bit "bouncier" closer to the 130 than the 95. I find this a very good thing.

The main Rhodes sound is a HUGE improvement- its nice they added a Wurli as well but to me the main attraction are the speakers, sound and touch.

I would argue the 105 wins vs. the 150.
But 105 vs the 350 i would give a slight edge to the 350 but both sound great.

key to sound wins in my opinion on the 350, I find better dynamic control.

I found i would play the 150 for a minute, go the 350 and be lured back to the 105

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
i had the chance to play a 105 the other day at GC for a few minutes. They didn't have the PX -50's in yet. but still did have the 130 and 330 on display (with not a hint of the new generation in the salesman's mind... where does GC find these guys?...). vs the PX-330, i thought the P-105 was much more fun to play. i liked its light action and the piano sound was great. it wasn't the greatest demo environment- no pedal hooked up and i had to play it standing up with the board nearly over my head but i was greatly impressed with the piano sound and the onboard speakers.

I didn't care at all for the PX- 330 in comparison- i thought it was sluggish and the action too heavy. But i believe the PX-50 series will have a new action, so i will reserve judgment until then.

But for $599- i thought the P-105 was a peach!

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by bfb
i had the chance to play a 105 the other day at GC for a few minutes. They didn't have the PX -50's in yet. but still did have the 130 and 330 on display (with not a hint of the new generation in the salesman's mind... where does GC find these guys?...). vs the PX-330, i thought the P-105 was much more fun to play. i liked its light action and the piano sound was great. it wasn't the greatest demo environment- no pedal hooked up and i had to play it standing up with the board nearly over my head but i was greatly impressed with the piano sound and the onboard speakers.

I didn't care at all for the PX- 330 in comparison- i thought it was sluggish and the action too heavy. But i believe the PX-50 series will have a new action, so i will reserve judgment until then.

But for $599- i thought the P-105 was a peach!

Ironically the "L" shaped shopping center in South Jersey has both Sam Ash and Guitar Center within literally 300-400 feet of each other!! GC did not have any of the new boards whatsoever (no x50, 105 of Krome). When I called them they wanted to be sure that I didn't mean the 155. It was either that or being put on hold.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Possum P95

So this is a "350 tweeters tip the balance" argument? Or are you talking about the other voices in the 105/350 as well? From a sound technology standpoint (not everything of course) the P-105 is rather typical low end Yamaha: stretched 3:1, short attacks, very short bland loops, quavering chords, faint sympathetic resonance, short decay times - i.e. nothing to write home about. Could it be the new CF sample? Perhaps it's one of those "the sum is more than the parts" organic things, but I'd like to better understand where you're coming from. Could you clarify?

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dewster

So this is a "350 tweeters tip the balance" argument? Or are you talking about the other voices in the 105/350 as well? From a sound technology standpoint (not everything of course) the P-105 is rather typical low end Yamaha: stretched 3:1, short attacks, very short bland loops, quavering chords, faint sympathetic resonance, short decay times - i.e. nothing to write home about. Could it be the new CF sample? Perhaps it's one of those "the sum is more than the parts" organic things, but I'd like to better understand where you're coming from. Could you clarify?

#1 for me is the sound coming out of the piano speakers itself and how it conveys the sample and changes in dynamics- the combination of the improved amplification and clarity make the 105 a more playable instrument for me personally (just my opinion). If I am going to need to connect a 150 to monitors then forget it. #2- the CF sample is an improvement as well. I was in the store playing Vienna by Billy Joel, and some people stopped to listen the quality of the sound coming out of the Yamaha- it passed the large display room test.

I would then totally agree with your statement that the tweeters on the 350 tip the argument. I found when I was picking the same sound i.e. the Classical one on the 350 I heard the entire range of the sound where as on the 150 it felt as though the EQ was almost brittle and higher above the mid range and turned down below. It was borderline the same experience as the #2 piano sound on the SP170 series.

Imagine the 150 had on it an equalizer and the mid to lower mid range was turned down. To me thats what I heard. and the mid high was too much.

Another dealbreaker for me is having the dolce sample and the rock piano sample. Casio did a FANTASTIC JOB on these 2 sounds and to me they make the 350 worth the extra $200.
In terms of the action, I prefer Casio's, but the output of the instrument is just as important. I have no problem with GHS, (it seems the one action I depise is the NH by Korg)

*I also called MF yesterday and person I spoke to said they would honor over the phone the 15% coupon which would make the 105 510- just now working on getting 250 for the 95

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I would then totally agree with your statement that the tweeters on the 350 tip the argument. I found when I was picking the same sound i.e. the Classical one on the 350 I heard the entire range of the sound where as on the 150 it felt as though the EQ was almost brittle and higher above the mid range and turned down below. It was borderline the same experience as the #2 piano sound on the SP170 series.

Imagine the 150 had on it an equalizer and the mid to lower mid range was turned down. To me thats what I heard. and the mid high was too much.

I would think just the opposite would happen without tweeters in the 150 - the bass & mid would be there but the treble not so much. Unless you're hearing cone breakup or some kind of different EQ between models. Weird.

Another dealbreaker for me is having the dolce sample and the rock piano sample. Casio did a FANTASTIC JOB on these 2 sounds and to me they make the 350 worth the extra $200.

I believe Mike Martin said the base piano sample is the same for all presets, and that you can get maybe get close to the dolce with the settings?

In terms of the action, I prefer Casio's...

Interesting.

*I also called MF yesterday and person I spoke to said they would honor over the phone the 15% coupon which would make the 105 510- just now working on getting 250 for the 95

I wonder why they are so restrictive via the web? Maybe it's one of those "can't advertise below a certain level" things they all seem to adhere to. When is a market not a market.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A

I believe Mike Martin said the base piano sample is the same for all presets, and that you can get maybe get close to the dolce with the settings?

There is no sound editing functionality on these models.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

There is voice selection, brilliance, and touch response. Between those maybe you can get near the dolce?

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A

There is voice selection, brilliance, and touch response. Between those maybe you can get near the dolce?

Voice selection lets you choose among 5 piano sounds (concert, modern, classic, mellow, bright). The PX350 has the same 5 piano sounds plus dolce and others. So this is not any kind of sound editing, you're just calling up a different patch. (The 350 has more preset patches in it, but you still can't edit any of them.)

Touch response is a velocity curve setting, it does not change the underlying sounds, it is only altering how much finger force you need to use to trigger them at a particular level. While that can might appear to make the tone "gentler" for example (by requiring you to use more finger force to generate the higher velocities), it's not really altering the sound, and specifically, if someone likes the way dolce sounds when playing a MIDI file, touch response is not an issue, as a MIDI file will sound the same no matter what the touch response is set at.

So the only way you can alter the tone of the sound at all is with the general brilliance setting (and reverb and chorus).

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Found it:

Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
The PX-150 has the identical piano sample. The mellow piano preset on the PX-150 is very similar to the dolce preset on the PX-350. You may also want to experiment when different touch settings to get this soft delicate sound.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission