2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,091 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
So to start off this story, I work at an assisted living home. Most of the residents that live there have mental health issues of some sort and need constant supervision. They have pretty small lives and while the home tries to take them out as much as possible, it gets pretty boring. They don't have much interaction with their families either and they are always stressed out because of these issues. I have been debating for several weeks now rather or not to bring in my piano and play for these guys..My dad actually encouraged me and gave me the idea. As much as he pestered me about the idea.. i was still not too sure about it. I was even nervous about asking my boss too! But, I finally gathered up enough courage last week and asked my boss if I could bring in my piano. She did not care and said I could bring it in whenever. Awesome right! So now the problem was having enough courage to actually bring in the piano and play in front of these guys. I rarely if ever play in front of people so the thought of it is quite terrifying. Fortunately there are only 6 guys and most of them don't care. They are usually just so happy to do anything with staff members. Yesterday, I finally brought in my piano. I set it all up. I ended up leaving it up for my whole 8 hour shift. I played it quite a lot too. Most of my shift in fact. The guys loved it! I even let a few of them try it out. The best part about this story is about one particular resident. His brain is about 75% gone from an illness. All he does is set in a chair and wait for a pilot that he thinks is coming to get him. He sets in this chair for like 10 hrs a day too. He doesn't do much and literally can't do much. He had so much fun listening to me play the piano. He even went to his room and got out his guitar and started playing along and singing. While he can't really play at all, it was still pretty cool that he got that excited. He was pretending to be Johnny Cash the whole time. He was in such a good mood all day. I think, out of all the residents, my music had the most impact on him. It was so neat to see him get out of that chair and play his guitar. He was just so happy.. He was still talking about his guitar playing and being Johnny Cash this morning. I played David Nevue's Amazing Grace for another one of the residents, and I asked him how he liked it.. He didn't say anything for a minute then he said, can you play it again? So of course, I played it again. Then he asked me if I could bring in my piano the next day! So what can I say? Overall, a really good day at work. My boss says I can bring in my piano whenever I want too. Once a week if I like. Music is the best therapy for stress right =) And... I wasn't really that nervous in the end since I already knew the guys pretty well smile

I am currently uploading all of my written piano sheets onto my blog to make things easier. I also have written out a few more sheets. All free check it out if you want smile Any questions, PM me

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What a heartwarming story!! I get happy hearing about someone using their piano skill and talent to make less fortunate people happy. God bless you, Ladypayne! smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
D
D
This is totally awesome -- God bless your work. Music is such a universal language -- the musical part of the brain seems to still be there when other areas are affected by age. Some folks can remember the words of songs but remember little else.

What joy you are bringing by confronting your fears -- good job!!!!

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Ladypayne thanks so much for sharing your story. It sounds so wonderful! You have touched the lives of all who heard you play that day!

I volunteered to play at a long term assisted living facility. It took awhile to get my security clearance and then summer and now I am back at work so my days and evenings are booked pretty solid. All that to say I haven't done it yet. I still want to do it because I do sense these people are just waiting to have some interaction with others. And I think music is good for the soul. Everything is in place I just have to say when I am going in.

After reading your awesome experience I really want to try. I'm afraid of my nerves which can get the best of me. But I haves feeling if I just do it all will be fine. Maybe tomorrow I will make the call!

I would love to continue to hear about yourexperiences doing this. I don't doubt you will be playing again!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
ladypayne, this is the coolest thing ever. Music makes such an incredible difference. It can bring people to life, as you have found. It truly is a blessing. Good for you!

Zoe - never mind the nerves laugh It's the music. I still stumble every time I play, and I've been playing for about 3 years. It's not a performance, really - it's a community thing, and an interaction. You can stop in the middle and tell them you have try again, or ask if anyone can help. Just laugh. And play music. It is so cool.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Love the story. Please keep us posted for further update on your music therapy.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
That's a wonderful story, and doesn't seem like a "yikes" at all (the thread title led me to expect some disaster).

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
L
OP Offline
L
playing in front of people makes me think YIKES :P

I am currently uploading all of my written piano sheets onto my blog to make things easier. I also have written out a few more sheets. All free check it out if you want smile Any questions, PM me

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Do you feel more comfortable with the idea of playing for people, now that you've seen how well it went for the residents?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
L
OP Offline
L
if it is a comfortable setting like at work... i think it is okay now but maybe would be a disaster if it was like a formal setting.. like a recital or something.. not sure how that would go lol.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ms. payne, what a great story! I'm glad you overcame your fears to do what you love - it's no surprise your guests loved it too. smile

If you ever get the chance, check out the book "Musicophilia" by Dr. Sacks:

http://www.amazon.com/Musicophilia-Tales-Music-Revised-Expanded/dp/1400033535

It's really incredible how differently our brains process and remember music compared to everything else.

You might be onto something with your guests - keep them smiling! smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Ladypayne this is a great story. Plus, your boss is approving your playing piano at work and getting paid while doing it.

Double great!

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
This is great! And your playing is so good you shouldn't be scared of playing in front of anybody.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Congratulations on daring to do this and on the great result!

I recently saw this related film clip, from the film "Alive Inside":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyZQf0p73QM

1989 Baldwin R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What an epic story Ladypayne!!! This is what music is all about!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
LP - This is a great story! I also highly recommend the book that BenPiano wisely points you to - "Musicophilia". Maybe you'll soon be writing your own memoir on the different ways that music helps the damaged brain...

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What a heart warming story ladypayne

Thanks for sharing your story and for sharing your music with those residents. Its a great gift

Lee

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This story is really beautiful, ladypane.
Congratulations^2

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What a great story! You made those people's lives a little brighter. Love the "Johnny Cash" part. LOL Thanks for sharing.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
How lovely you brought some happiness to these men Lady Payne! A great thing you ddi there.

P.S Love your quote by the Master. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission