2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 98 of 370 1 2 96 97 98 99 100 369 370

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Good morning everyone! I knew I needed to hear some good music before I leave for the office this morning, and I chose to use this time to listen to Recaredo's posts. I do make smart decisions sometimes. laugh

Recaredo, I was absolutely mesmerized!! I can't thank you enough for introducing me to the works of Giuseppe Tartini. I can see why the violin concerto in D minor is a favorite. I absolutely loved it.

That's what I love about our thread, is the opportunity to hear of all kinds music we may not have been aware of. Outstanding Recaredo!

To show my appreciation, I leave you with something from this side of the Atlantic, Samuel Barber's "Summer Music for Wind Quintet." I believe you once expressed interest in Barber's music. Enjoy!

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Good morning again everyone! I seem to be on the mend from this nasty bug. I truly appreciate everyone's concern for my recovery, and am taking your advice about being very careful not to overdo it. I'll just be going in for a few hours, and work a bit more from home today. It does seem to be working so far.

Aimee, I hope you are getting better. Your advice, and Rossy's really got me to pay attention. Thanks again.

I'll check in later.

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for your kind words, Griffin. And thanks so much for that quintet by Barber. I didn’t know it and I’ve loved it. Sadly, over here Barber is basically known by his adagio for strings, when he wrote so many amazing works.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Great posts Griffin, again I knew nothing of Barber, I was living in blissfull ignorance, but feel btter now I have been enlightened..Thank you.

Polyphasicpianist, I know you wont answer this just yet, because my heart is telling me your post no.666 will only be done on halloween for maximum impact...but I do have a question..
First I will answer yours,
Yes , "accidental" is entirely as you summised, the waltz is in A minor with quite a few accidentals.

The "Boingy" sound you mention is "claves" that have had the wav file chopped and rearranged with added effects in an effort to reproduce a "clockwork" sound that is not entirely constant(except for its timing).This was layered with another sound called "wooden blocks" which was constructed with just a simple three beat over a one bar loop. ( claves was constructed over a three bar loop)

I didn't move into a major key per se, but did the middle section with G major,Cmajor,F major and E major chords introduced, so felt (in the 4.30m time given) that would suffice as a major "lift"

My question is what is a "12 tone modulation?" I am unfamiliar with this phrase and dont know what it means at all. But would certainly like to learn.

Dont go answering this just yet, we dont want you wasting your "special post" the answer can wait!!!

Later dudes and dudettes.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Dudes and dudettes, its magic how we inspire each other is todays thought, And i want to Thank eglantine for inspiring me.
Eglantine achieved that by accident, I was reading her excellently thought ou thread; "Moderately, I beg you"

If you havent read it yet, its where composers have annotated their scores in maybe an unusual or unorthodox manner, like they have written extra instructions of the odd kind.. Like the above "I beg you"

This inspired me to annotate the score for my waltz with the words "Allegro, to be played only when TJ has left the building"

Eglantine, you are a star.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Well dudes and dudettes, I hope you like this, it's from Pink floyds lovely Animals albumn.... and Pigs on the wing (prt 1 +2!)

Nice nightime sounds....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I blew it, I absolutely blew it! I accidentally wasted my 666th post by accidentally replying to a thread I never meant to reply to. THis is terrible! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!!! Of all the stupid fu. . . I HATE COMPUTERS!!!! AUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGH!

I feel like this kid [Linked Image]

There is only one cure for my intense RAGE/sadness/utter disappointment . . .

-----------------------------------------
Don't think you people will get off that easy, I may have cocked up my 666th post, but just you wait until Halloween, just you wait and see . . . . muwhahahahaaa

Last edited by polyphasicpianist; 10/27/11 11:11 PM. Reason: I am sorry SATAN!!! I have failed you!
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Oh dear oh deary me, oh no, great sorrow and grief, oh woh is PPP, no hair to pull out anymore.....

I just found this band and they are good!!!

The forty thieves orkestar , I hope to be introducing you to a lot more of their tracks...

PPP, you could answer my question now... its after your last post here!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Since I am no longer under contractual obligation by the Devil to wait until Halloween I will answer your question Rossy.

By "12 tone modulation" I am making explicit reference to the late serialism that Schoenberg created and advocated. If you are not familiar with it this video sums it up pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5dOI2MtvbA

Anyway, when I say "12-tone modulation" I basically mean modulate to the use of the 12-tone method in the composition in the same manner you might modulate to some other key. The beauty here is that with Schoenberg's system this need not be a wholly atonal endeavour since you can pick any twelve notes you want, which means you could, if so inclined, create the tone-row in such a way as to build it around clusters of triadic chords. This will allow you to coherently inject some harmony into what is typically thought of as a wholly atonal system. And because the composer ultimately decides how many notes of the tone-row he uses at any given point, you could "inject the harmony" whenever you felt it was necessary to do so. If you ever get a chance to check out Glenn Gould's discussion with Humphrey Burton of the music of Arnold Schoenberg you will see Gould demonstrate the almost Wagnerian harmony inherent inside one of Schoenberg's later piece Op.41 Ode to Napoleon Buonaparte.

But who needs harmony anyway, if you gradually modulated (i.e. had more accidents wink ) to a twelve-tone row that contained no harmonic trappings, I'd wager you would create a very eerie sound indeed, especially if you maintained the waltz's rhythm and idiom. This is the main point I was trying to make when I said modulate to the 12-tone method.

Hmmmmm....
(I just read over this post and realised how unbelievably abstruse and anti-muiscal it must seem, sorry about that. I hope I haven't given the Schoenberg haters any ammunition, maybe this will help provide some vindication:

Last edited by polyphasicpianist; 10/28/11 12:12 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Polyphasicpianist, wow that was a lot to take in, but I think I have grasped the principle in a small way.. I seriously think this would be a very worthy thread in and of itself, I can see much debate over whether shoenenburg is valid/musical/mad mathetician/insane genius etc...!!! I see a small conection to the principle of constructing visual art using the FIBONACCI system? If that makes any sense..

I will not start the debate here, as like I said, the debate will have as many opinions as there are people, and my guess is there will be two main camps..and these camps will have very conflicting views...

I personally dont have enough knowledge just yet to be in any camp.!

Thanks for all the links and taking the time to bring this to my attention and explain it some..

I say, I have not got the academic knowledge, but my ears are telling me, that this man should have his Bechstein taken off him for the crime of "Piano abuse"

Last edited by Rostosky; 10/28/11 10:32 AM. Reason: IF YOUR CHILD DID THIS ON THE PIANO, YOU WOULD SAY "FOR GAWDSAKE STOP IT, AND PLAY THE RECORDER INSTEAD"

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was actually thinking of creating a thread about music and reason, not specifically about Schoenberg but I can't imagine his name will not pop up in the conversation. Maybe I will do that one the weekend when I have some time to think up an opening thread.

Anyway, this is all getting to serious for Rostoskys serious thread. Back to Halloween.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hello, hope you all well smile

Rossy, that sort of reminds me of the LadyG - Badromance Intro (I could never figure it out, anyone know what's actually going on?)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/theNapkinHolder#p/u/6/jLMA-qxpw54[/video]

Check out his channel, he's the guy that plays Rihanna's Umbrella, with an Umbrella, and LadyG Medly with a bag on his head!

PPP, that's just sillyness!

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 10/28/11 03:01 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know why the vid won't post like normal?????

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Dont know why it didnt post Wayne...
Oh, meant to ask, do you have your videos on youtube for public or only those with the link?

Last edited by Rostosky; 10/28/11 04:00 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Half and half Rossy, the vids I upload for learning purposes, (like the one's I post on here) are set to "link only"

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ah, thanks, made my chanel pretty yesterday, think i got the hang of it now...
Thing is i cannot figure out how to invite Griffin to be friend, it let me do your friend thing but wouldnt do anything for Griffin when i clicked the thing??
any Ideas?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If I was you Rossy, I would set your composition vid so people could leave comments, for feedback purposes, but that's your prerogative smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Posted at the same time, maybe something to do with Griffin's privacy settings, I'm gonna go and check this out!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The "add friend" link is there when I look, click on his channel, scroll down a bit, where his Profile pic is on the left hand side (not that he has a profile pic lol) there should be a link that says "add friend"

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ok will try again, it didnt work at first..ta thnx.

Last edited by Rostosky; 10/28/11 04:34 PM.

Page 98 of 370 1 2 96 97 98 99 100 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission