Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 196 of 239 < 1 2 ... 194 195 196 197 198 ... 238 239 >
Topic Options
#1969749 - 10/07/12 09:43 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Liszt is often considered a better pianist than composer and much of his work required more virtuosity than the music warranted. This piece requires little apart from a strong octave technique at the climax. The lack of histrionic grandiosity in his work is a good sign of it's musical worth. This is one of his finest pieces.

It is inspired by Raphael's Marriage of the Virgin.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1969750 - 10/07/12 09:52 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Whilst Alfred Brendel neither looks like nor me nor plays like me, my son has just wandered in and told me he looks like he's doing an impression of me! I frequently leave the bench at the climaxes. smile

#1969771 - 10/07/12 10:52 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

My last selection for today is Mussorgsky's Night on the Bare Mountain. This piece has been a favourite of mine since my early teens when I got passionately into Russian music.

This is the popular Rimsky-Korsakov arrangement of the piece, made a few years after Mussorgsky's death. R-K is one of the world's most accomplished orchestrators.

I wish you all a pleasant Sunday and a fruitful week ahead.

#1969879 - 10/07/12 02:53 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Thanks Richard for another wonderful program. I'm more than halfway finished listening. Will hear the rest later. I must be off to work, however. I'll check in later after I get a little practice in tonight!

#1969903 - 10/07/12 03:52 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Excellent choices dudes!!

My choice toady is this one by Liberace, I could say chopin, but it isnt anymore.

Feel free to repost in PC, and if they whine or whinge, just ask "Er, who above everybody else in the history of playing the piano for money has made as much dosh as liberace did?"

The answer is Liberace by a long stretch.... the public loved him.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1970204 - 10/08/12 08:06 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Afternoon all, talking of playing slowly! My mum and dad called yesterday, and had fetched me a metronome, so I thought I'd give it a go. Playing songs like Lady G etc went fine, no probs, probabily because I've already played these along to a beat on the keyboard.

But then, I tried Rob Dougan's clubbed to death, and this wasn't as easy. I had to go REALLY slow to beable to keep in time. Then Met 2, oh dear, now I realise how all over the place I am with it, so forget learning M4 at the mo, back to the drawing board with M2.

I'm gonna attempt Gnossienne 7 with it, really really really slowly, so fingers crossed, this time I might be "in time" lol,

laters smile

PS Cheers for the Sunday postings Richard wink

#1970231 - 10/08/12 09:34 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
griffin2417 Offline

The metronome can be a very humbling experience Wayne. I noticed an I hate the metronome thread on this forum. Apparently someone has some rather strong feelings about! laugh

The Gymnopedie is already petty slow. However, I expect I'll be using the metronome to give me a reality check. I doubt I'll have much time practicing today, however. I must be off to work. Still in that busy period.

Have a great day everyone! smile

Edited by griffin2417 (10/08/12 09:34 AM)

#1970320 - 10/08/12 01:37 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
good stuffs.

I like this lately. I actually like a recording with violin and harpsichord I have on some collection I have the best, but on the 'Tube, this was a great one, too.

#1970721 - 10/09/12 10:10 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
Greetings everyone. I'm again getting quite irregular at RST frown Anyway, warm thanks to Richard for his mesmerizing Sunday classical postings! I just finished listening to them yesterday.
Rossy, Liberace's experiment with Chopin's Nocturne sounds good, but isn't it a bit jazzy!wink
AimeeO, I loved the piano-flute version of Bach's prelude 1 very much! The flute added an extra beauty to this beautiful piece.

Congratulations and good luck with your metronome, Wayne wink

I'm almost done with learning and memorizing Gnossienne 3. But the hardest part still remains: to extract the mood of the piece correctly smile

Let's have some amusement to relax between 'serious' practices for serious thread's recital laugh

#1971231 - 10/10/12 09:57 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

wow everyone is away practicing to hard!!
seriously folks, where are you all?

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1971235 - 10/10/12 10:08 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Practicing! LOL

In fact I've only been listening to Gym #3, both the piano and tutorial. smile No time for much else between coughing!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1971251 - 10/10/12 10:35 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
This has to be named telepathy. I was wondering the same when I saw the thread into the second page.

Becca, I hope you feel better soon.

Some music from baroque period, this time by Jan Dismas Zelanka, a Czech composer contemporary of Bach. He wrote a large repertoire that especially paid attention to sacred music. Bach felt a huge respect for Zelenka, as his works were deeply elaborated since the viewpoint of harmony.

Here we can listen to his splendid Miserere in C minor:

My website

#1971257 - 10/10/12 10:57 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Richard, I know I’m late, but I also wanted to thank you for your last Sunday posts.

My website

#1971392 - 10/10/12 03:44 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Sorry I've not been able to post. I am not going to be able to post until after I get through this extremely busy time at work AND at home! I hope to have a few things to share this weekend.

Back to work for me!

#1971399 - 10/10/12 03:54 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

I can't remember if I posted this before, but it's probably the only opera piece I've ever heard that I love...

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1971479 - 10/10/12 06:04 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hello all smile BeccaBb, that reminded me of my all time favourite!!!!

#1971805 - 10/11/12 12:53 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thank you Wayne, Griffin, Rupak and Recaredo for the acknowledgement.

Love the Zelenka, Recaredo, very moving.

When I was living in England I had five large supermarkets within a three mile drive. Here in Ireland I have a similar choice. One is 9 miles south but it's only good for basics. Another is twelve miles north but the selection is not great for a weekly shop. There's a large mall 25 miles away (further north), including two supermarkets, a stationers and a cinema but it's too far for a regular shopping experience and Dublin's less than an hour away from there.

Our best spot is a new Tesco Extra only 18 miles away where I can get double cream and continental meats, cheeses and butter. Smashing! Better still, it's east so I avoid any north south traffic - not that there's much of that here - but I can still get caught behind a tractor now and again.

Here in Ireland this song has taken on a new meaning.

#1971971 - 10/11/12 06:12 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've got my halloween costume sorted! Blonde wig, shell suit, and big cigar.......lol smile

#1972045 - 10/11/12 08:59 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thats one that will get you killed in public wayne!! I would avoid it.

I heard something today....

President Obama was filmed giving a speech behind some bullet proof glass.

This shows just how racist the USA still is.

Just because Obama is a black man doesnt mean he is going to start shooting folk?

Two blondes run into a bar shouting "37 days" "Yippee 37 days" "wow, 37 days"
The bartender says "whats 37 days?"
One of the Blondes says " we just done a jigsaw and it said three to four years on the box, but we did it in 37 days"

#1972790 - 10/13/12 02:36 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
Ohhhhh nooooooo...within this short time RST have been thrown away to page 2 twice! frown RST is really getting "serious" smile Anyway, others may not have time to listen but I've got some time and mood to post some ICM today, so I'll follow my instinct grin At least this will pull up RST to page 1 laugh

My first posting is a Sitar-Sarangi duet by two great maestros: Ustad Vilayat Khan (Sitar) and Ustad Munir Khan (Sarangi) on raga Bilaskhani Todi:

Let's have some light classical music on Flute by Pandit Ronu Majumdar, Pandit Hari Prasad Chaurasia and his son Rakesh Chaurasia along with Santoor by Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma and Pandit Tarun Bhattacharya:

Since recently we've gone through a themed recital on Philip Glass so I thought the following one with Philip Glass and Ravi Shankar would be interesting. It's from their famous album "Passages":

I think this much is enough for today, since everybody seems so busy. Enjoy!

#1973043 - 10/14/12 06:52 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hello - lo - lo - lo!

Is there anybody there - ere - ere - ere?

Another Alsation composer gets today off to an exciting start.

This is a live performance of Herold's Zampa Overture - about his his only remaining claim to fame. His piano music comprises a few sonatas that are barely considered worth mentioning.

#1973052 - 10/14/12 07:32 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Gerald Finzi could be better known. He's a twentieth century composer who is very lyrical and writes well for meditative moods.

This Nocturne isn't as well known as his 'cello or clarinet concertos but exudes that nostalgia for which his music is prized.

I offer this to all those for whom, to use Lennon's phraseology, life is happening while they're busy planning something else.

#1973059 - 10/14/12 08:10 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In my blessèd ignorance I thought countertenors would talk with a really high pitched voice.

Nay. Andreas scholl has a perfectly normal speaking voice and a fine baritone. His countertenor is done using falsetto.

My falsetto allows me to sing my top four notes with a different colour. It does not extend my range.

When I first listened to Alfred Deller I felt glad that I had a normal voice. After hearing Andreas Scholl sing with a normal baritone I wish I was able to sing like this.

#1973064 - 10/14/12 08:42 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

This piece, Albeniz' Asturias, is the basis of the first 'real' piece in Frederick Noad's classic book 'Solo Guitar Playing'.

I keep an old spanish guitar by the sofa and use it when the ads come on at those rare times that I watch commercial TV. I try to restrict my viewing to the BBC. My party piece is the prelude from Bach's 'Cello sonata in the Second Volume of Noad's work.

Listening to Ana I feel I play 'at' guitar.

#1973076 - 10/14/12 09:26 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I was in a quandary as to how to finish this week's selection.

I knew Mozart would do the job but I couldn't decide between the finale of the Prague or the whole thing.

I finally decided to let YOU be the judge!

Those busy practising can settle for the finale:

And those with more time on their hands can join me in the whole symphony:

Have a very good week, until next week.

#1973078 - 10/14/12 09:32 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good morning Richard! Thanks for the fine pickings! smile (I will listen to all soon as the house is awake.. wouldn't want to give them a rude awakening quite yet.. hehe)

You have a very good week too!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1973093 - 10/14/12 10:07 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Absolutely brilliant postings Richard and Rupak!! It was a treat for me to listen to. Richard, I opted for the finale of the Mozart for now. I will treat myself to the entire symphony this evening after I get some more work done on my publication.

Rupak, I loved the pieces you shared yesterday. I will listen to the longer one this evening as well. I found the Shankar/Glass selection most intriguing. Beautiful sounds!

An update on me, if you are curious. I'm on a tight deadline for completing our annual publication at work. It's always very stressful, of course since I'm the editor. I've just finished approving the final designs, and everything is coming together very nicely. I still have a few days to edit and polish before sending it off to the printer. yippie I'm looking forward to getting back to my other keyboard so I can resume working on Gymnopedie I. smile.

Before I get back to work, I need to give another huge appreciation to Richard for taking on the Sunday classical postings and giving me the time I need to get my piano practice done during this very stressful time at work.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

#1973139 - 10/14/12 11:40 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Afternoon all, just taking a quick break from the jobs that need doing in the garden, will listen to your posts a bit later Richard, thnx smile

Hope your publication goes well Griffin smile

See you all soon smile Back to the hedge trimming.........

#1973492 - 10/15/12 08:27 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Good morning everyone! I'm starting to make some real progress with the work project. Finally, I can take a little time to share some music. Today, I'm in the mood for some blues.

Here is John Lee Hooker with "Blues Before Sunrise."

#1973494 - 10/15/12 08:33 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

I just love this performance of "Blues Boys Tune" by B.B. King!

Edited by griffin2417 (10/15/12 09:00 AM)

Page 196 of 239 < 1 2 ... 194 195 196 197 198 ... 238 239 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
161 registered (36251, 255, A Guy, ajames, 47 invisible), 1450 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157145 Topics
2307923 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
theme and variations trivia question
by beet31425
9 minutes 51 seconds ago
1950s Zimmermann
by MaxR
Today at 02:17 PM
Piano with Willie
by Nikalette
Today at 12:58 PM
How to practice a fast piece for amateur competitions
by RonaldSteinway
Today at 11:56 AM
Cromatic lead in Elton John song
by Visalia
Today at 11:56 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission