Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1970365 - 10/08/12 03:38 PM Just a couple of scale exercises my teacher taught me
JackMusic Offline

Loc: York, UK
Hi there

As I've gone down to part-time music teaching, I've started making some video and blog tutorials about piano and composition. Here's one covering a couple of variations on the 4-octave scale that my teacher taught me a few years ago.

Piano scale variations

Personally I find them useful for generally feeling comfortable sight-reading and learning new pieces, and just really 'nailing' the ordinary scales, which all contributes to overall technique!

All the best

Jack

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1970631 - 10/09/12 02:26 AM Re: Just a couple of scale exercises my teacher taught me [Re: JackMusic]
JackMusic Offline

Any opinions? I know the video quality is a bit crappy and the audio is slightly out of sync - do you think it matters much? Useful information?

Thanks

Jack

#1970676 - 10/09/12 06:58 AM Re: Just a couple of scale exercises my teacher taught me [Re: JackMusic]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
That looks pretty interesting to me, Jack. My teacher did that one hand playing faster than the other thing at my lesson last night. I'm nowhere near ready for that! I can see where these exercises can really harden your scales in your memory, help develop hand independence, and keep scales from getting boring, but I guess I don't see how they help sight reading.

#1970698 - 10/09/12 09:09 AM Re: Just a couple of scale exercises my teacher taught me [Re: JackMusic]
JackMusic Offline

Interesting feedback, thanks MaryAnn. Yes I can see how it's not obvious for a beginner how it would help sight reading - I suppose that becomes more relevant once you really know your way around music theory.

You should try the different speeds thing, start really *really* slowly and just on C major and you might surprise yourself!

#1970709 - 10/09/12 09:38 AM Re: Just a couple of scale exercises my teacher taught me [Re: JackMusic]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Hi Jack, thank you for your link, looking forward to more videos.
I just started working on the Alfred's scales book.

P.S: I love your accent!

#1970778 - 10/09/12 12:36 PM Re: Just a couple of scale exercises my teacher taught me [Re: JackMusic]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
You're video is really good.
I've done the first ones before and I really enjoy them.
Never even thought to try the other one but it's look really cool and a great challenge. I'm going to try it!
Thanks so much for sharing your ideas!

#1970779 - 10/09/12 12:37 PM Re: Just a couple of scale exercises my teacher taught me [Re: JackMusic]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
P.S. I was going to say love your accent but you are probably thinking "what accent" he he.

#1970791 - 10/09/12 01:11 PM Re: Just a couple of scale exercises my teacher taught me [Re: JackMusic]
pckhdlr305 Offline

I have done both of your exercises to varying degrees. They are good and should be practiced but one which I found to improve my technique the most was this; In whatever scale you choose, start on the 2nd scale degree with the same fingerings as if you were playing from the tonic crossing over and under normally and then play the scales in however many octaves you want. Then start on the 3rd, then 4th, etc. You can even do this with the exercises you explained. So if you were in cmajor start on d with 4 in the left hand and 2 in the right. Starting on the third you would have 3 in both the left and right hands, etc. etc. This exercise helped me much.

Edited by pckhdlr305 (10/09/12 01:11 PM)

#1971153 - 10/10/12 03:26 AM Re: Just a couple of scale exercises my teacher taught me [Re: pckhdlr305]
JackMusic Offline

pckhdlr305, you are helping to turn this into a scale geek-fest, I love it! Idea stolen, might post a video of that soon.

For now I've done a blog post about these exercises and other studies (I also posted this in a thread about Hanon) which is here.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (AmateurBob, Almaviva, 36251, 43 invisible), 1646 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153605 Topics
2251266 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just can't get my head around temperament!
by LarryShone
6 minutes 47 seconds ago
clavinova clp 115
by rochoula
11 minutes 30 seconds ago
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
Today at 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission