Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1970547 - 10/08/12 10:38 PM Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano?
MosaicDave Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
So, I've been reading about the various available software pianos; thinking to acquire something along the lines of Ivory II or Vintage D to use with an older weighted-key MIDI board (a Yamaha P80 in this case). Mainly at this point, for the purpose of just experimenting with software pianos, with which I've as yet had no direct experience. Though also for some other reasons, such as late at night when the kids are sleeping, some teaching / recording, etc. (I already have a high-quality Mason & Hamlin grand, so this isn't somehow to be a substitute.)

One drawback of software pianos, though, seems to be the need to run a Windows PC, or laptop, for this setup to be used - making it: big; cumbersome; temperamental; fragile; slow to boot; with unwanted wires & cables; etc. But, that seems to be what it takes, to run the best software pianos?

What I'd like most, would be: a compact and rugged "black box", with a MIDI input, and audio outputs; maybe half the size of a brick; simple to configure with just a few controls; but with the resources built in to run a decent high-end software piano. Something that you just turn on and it starts running with no wait or fuss; that you can bump or drop on the floor without damaging it.

Is there any such thing as that??

Here's a corollary question: Since as far as I've seen there isn't any such thing, I've been thinking of just building one for our own use. Now then, as it happens, I operate a business capable of manufacturing and distributing such a gadget... would this be something that might have some level of broad appeal, even if only to a limited audience, such as gigging musicians, etc?

Okay - very interested to hear any comments, etc...

thx--

--dc

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1970551 - 10/08/12 10:48 PM Re: Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano? [Re: MosaicDave]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Something like a Muse Receptor?

http://www.museresearch.com/products/index.php

Alternatively, you could perhaps build your own pico-ITX based system (running Windows or Linux). It could be stripped down with only the essentials required for a software piano, and utilise an SSD for faster booting.

I'm surprised one of the DIY enthusiasts (dewster) hasn't done so already.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1970566 - 10/08/12 11:29 PM Re: Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano? [Re: MosaicDave]
MosaicDave Offline

Interesting... I didn't know about Muse.

But, I think that's not what I'm after. Looks like you get just their selection of canned prepackaged sounds; not something you can run your own on, right? I'm just guessing-without-knowing, that the synthesized pianos in the Muse, don't approach something like Galaxy Vintage D or Ivory II and the like.

Plus, the price is really high, with a lot of stuff I don't want...

Yes, though - something along the lines of a uATX box is what I'm thinking of putting together here.

To my mind, Linux would be great - but as far as I know, nobody sells Linux software pianos? I would imagine, piracy would be too easy, etc.

hmmm...

#1970567 - 10/08/12 11:30 PM Re: Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano? [Re: MosaicDave]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
The Mac Mini is a small unit. Not as small as a brick, but suitable for your purpose. But there's no getting around it. You need a box.

I use a laptop with an outboard sound card. No slow boot, though. I never boot. I just put it to sleep overnight.

As for building your own box: It can be done, but if you make something very small and completely custom, the cost will be high. You have to REALLY want it badly to go to that much trouble and expense.

As for selling such boxes: The market is extremely limited, and few people would buy from an unknown maker.

#1970568 - 10/08/12 11:30 PM Re: Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano? [Re: MosaicDave]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Unfortunately I think it will have to [NOT] be Linux unless you want to use PianoTeq. The other software pianos either don't work at all or don't work well under Linux. I'm a hardcore, exclusive Linux user but I was forced to get a windows computer for my piano.

Edit: Added the [NOT] so it makes sense.

Edited by gvfarns (10/08/12 11:57 PM)

#1970572 - 10/08/12 11:35 PM Re: Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano? [Re: MacMacMac]
MosaicDave Offline

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
As for building your own box: It can be done, but if you make something very small and completely custom, the cost will be high. You have to REALLY want it badly to go to that much trouble and expense.

Well, that would be true... though in my peculiar case, I've got enough variety of parts left over from other things, to sort of put something like this together without having to buy anything else...

#1970574 - 10/08/12 11:38 PM Re: Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano? [Re: gvfarns]
MosaicDave Offline

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
Unfortunately I think it will have to be Linux unless you want to use PianoTeq. The other software pianos either don't work at all or don't work well under Linux. I'm a hardcore, exclusive Linux user but I was forced to get a windows computer for my piano.

Yes, sounds familiar: I'd also be exclusively on Linux also, except for certain Windows-only design softwares I need to run.

#1970582 - 10/08/12 11:56 PM Re: Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano? [Re: Kawai James]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Originally Posted By: gvfarns
Unfortunately I think it will have to be Linux unless you want to use PianoTeq.

I believe you may have intended to write Windows here.

Cheers,
James
x

Oops. Stupid brain! Yes, it will have to be something that is NON-linux. You know...I'll just edit the original so it's not so confusing.

#1970595 - 10/09/12 12:29 AM Re: Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano? [Re: MosaicDave]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MosaicDave
Interesting... I didn't know about Muse.

But, I think that's not what I'm after. Looks like you get just their selection of canned prepackaged sounds; not something you can run your own on, right? I'm just guessing-without-knowing, that the synthesized pianos in the Muse, don't approach something like Galaxy Vintage D or Ivory II and the like.

You can load your own plug-ins into the Muse Receptor, you're not limited to pre-packaged sounds from Muse. The problem is mostly that, as has been referenced here, the plug-ins have to be able to be run on a Linux system. Many are, but many require Windows (or mac)... I think often (always?) because of the requirement for some kind of hardware dongle to prevent piracy, but I'm not sure about that part, I haven't looked into it in that much detail myself.

#1970596 - 10/09/12 12:33 AM Re: Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano? [Re: MosaicDave]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
In that box of parts can you find the things needed to build the equivalent of a PC motherboard into the size of brick? I doubt it. If your wish for a brick-sized box can be discarded, then what's wrong with a run-of-the mill PC or Mac?
Originally Posted By: MosaicDave
I've got enough variety of parts left over from other things, to sort of put something like this together without having to buy anything else...

#1970598 - 10/09/12 12:43 AM Re: Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano? [Re: MosaicDave]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You guys are making it too easy on him. He doesn't want it to be the size of a brick, he wants it to be HALF the size of a brick. ;-)

The Mac Mini is probably the smallest current solution, in terms of footprint. I've considered looking into using that with a VNC setup so I can use the iPad I have with me anyway as a screen for the Mini if and when needed.

I'm also intrigued by the possibility of running VSTs on next years Windows Surface Pro tablets, but I don't know if they will have enough RAM or processor speed to handle some of the more demanding stuff.

#1970603 - 10/09/12 01:08 AM Re: Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano? [Re: MosaicDave]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Also, with a Mac Mini, you can make it into a Windows machine anyway. The drivers are available using bootcamp. You can put a sticker over the apple if you like...

#1970611 - 10/09/12 01:17 AM Re: Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano? [Re: MosaicDave]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
I like the Mac Mini idea. Configured with a 256GB SSD, I think it currently costs about USD 1,400. It only has S/PDIF audio outputs, though, so you'd probably need more hardware for I/O.

What I'd *really* like to see is a software piano running on iOS, with a nice iPad dock to handle MIDI and audio I/O.

Edited by slowtraveler (10/09/12 01:18 AM)

#1970614 - 10/09/12 01:27 AM Re: Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano? [Re: Kawai James]
ONfrank Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Something like a Muse Receptor?

http://www.museresearch.com/products/index.php

Alternatively, you could perhaps build your own micro-ATX based system (running Windows or Linux). It could be stripped down with only the essentials required for a software piano, and utilise an SSD for faster booting.

I'm surprised one of the DIY enthusiasts (dewster) hasn't done so already.

Cheers,
James
x

Mac Mini or mini ITX PC with a small SSD and the slimmest box you can find.

#1970659 - 10/09/12 04:45 AM Re: Compact & rugged hardware for a software piano? [Re: ando]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ando
Also, with a Mac Mini, you can make it into a Windows machine anyway. The drivers are available using bootcamp. You can put a sticker over the apple if you like...
Why in the world would you do that? Run OS X and avoid problems. Run the Mini from a iPad and use the iPad for your sheet music. Great solution -- weighs less than a brick.

Edited by Macy (10/09/12 04:45 AM)

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
74 registered (AliAlkhiro, AZNpiano, Allard, 18 invisible), 971 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157133 Topics
2307700 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
First time purchasing an acoustic piano, need some help.
by Lockon52
08/28/14 07:14 PM
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-83s Parts needed
by Jason Solis
08/28/14 06:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission