Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1970608 - 10/09/12 01:11 AM Which Zoom to buy? Q2 HD, Q3 HD, H2, H2n
cscl Offline

Loc: Suburban Boston
I haven't caught much talk here on the forums about all the options that Zoom has these days. Maybe I missed it? I used a borrowed H2 for the past five years, now it's time to buy one of my own.

What would you recommend? Is the Zoom H4n the new H2?

Now that there are HD options for video, does that make the audio-only versions obsolete? Can you separate the audio from the video? I'm usually more interested in the audio recording of my piano, rather than the seeing myself play, does that make the H4n the way to go?

Thanks!

Edited by cscl (10/09/12 08:34 AM)

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1970750 - 10/09/12 11:31 AM Re: Which Zoom to buy? Q2 HD, Q3 HD, H2, H2n [Re: cscl]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Have you considered other brands? Sony makes some wonderful recorders. I recently replaced my failing Zoom4 with a Tascam DR-05. Although it is one of Tascam's low end models I find it comparable to the older Zoom in performance and superior in build quality with a solid look and feel which compares quite favorably against the Zoom's rather flimsy feel and rather homely appearance. I cannot speak to its durablity compared to the Zoom. The Zoom lasted me about five years of modest usage before it failed.

I think any of the Zooms, Tascams or Sonys will yield acceptable recordings. Even the lowest priced Zoom H1 (at amazon for under $70) has basically the same audio specs as the more expensive models.

Edited by TX-Dennis (10/09/12 11:38 AM)

flickr

#1970970 - 10/09/12 07:33 PM Re: Which Zoom to buy? Q2 HD, Q3 HD, H2, H2n [Re: cscl]
custard apple Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
I don't know about Sony products but I use the Zoom Q3, the model preceding the Zoom Q3 HD.
Yes the audio-only function is very clear. If you don't plan to use video much, I think you will save money by not buying the HD.
Then again, if you want to "Invest Once, Invest Well", why not go for the latest product on the market, if you can afford it imo.

Last week for the very first time, I used the audio and video function combined to record a jazz concert. I was standing at the back of the seats about 20 metres (22 yards) from the stage, and was surprised at how acceptable the quality was. Here is an example, I can hear all the instruments even after I compressed it to a mp4 file for you-tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJRbTKqr98Y

#1970987 - 10/09/12 08:04 PM Re: Which Zoom to buy? Q2 HD, Q3 HD, H2, H2n [Re: custard apple]
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
Originally Posted By: custard apple

Last week for the very first time, I used the audio and video function combined to record a jazz concert.

Forgive me for being off topic, but I can't believe you have this recording of "Hurricane" Andrew Speight! I saw him play in a small bar in SF many years ago. He was quite gracious with his time, chatting about his music at the bar. And then he blew the doors off of the place. I bought his CD that night, but lost it before I could rip it. It is not available on iTunes, Spotify, etc. and his website doesn't work. I'll bet it was a really good show...

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

#1971046 - 10/09/12 10:41 PM Re: Which Zoom to buy? Q2 HD, Q3 HD, H2, H2n [Re: cscl]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I have the H4, Q3, and Q3HD. I like the Q3HD is significantly better than the Q3, and not just for the improved picture quality. But I like the audio on the H4 somewhat better than the audio on the Q3 (the difference is slight), and I find it easier to edit the audio when it's off the H4 rather than the Q3HD.

#1971051 - 10/09/12 10:47 PM Re: Which Zoom to buy? Q2 HD, Q3 HD, H2, H2n [Re: cscl]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I looked at the Zooms, ending up buying a used Sony for $30 (list is $50 new). It is more than enough for my amateur needs. I like connecting it directly to the digital, so mic placement and mics become irrelevant. I used a splitter so I can hear when I record.

#1971113 - 10/10/12 12:31 AM Re: Which Zoom to buy? Q2 HD, Q3 HD, H2, H2n [Re: Monica K.]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
But I like the audio on the H4 somewhat better than the audio on the Q3

That's interesting Monica, I haven't used the H4. Which is cheaper ?

#1971117 - 10/10/12 12:37 AM Re: Which Zoom to buy? Q2 HD, Q3 HD, H2, H2n [Re: kenjazz]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kenjazz

Last week for the very first time, I used the audio and video function combined to record a jazz concert.

Forgive me for being off topic, but I can't believe you have this recording of "Hurricane" Andrew Speight! I saw him play in a small bar in SF many years ago. He was quite gracious with his time, chatting about his music at the bar. And then he blew the doors off of the place. I bought his CD that night, but lost it before I could rip it. It is not available on iTunes, Spotify, etc. and his website doesn't work. I'll bet it was a really good show...

So they call him Hurricane ? I didn't know that ! I call him Charlie Speight.
Yes he is the nicest dude and I will always remember the concert. He is so generous that the cost was zero ! I'm not surprised he doesn't have a working web-site as he is so humble.
I love his trading bars with the drummer at the end of his uptempo The End of a Love Affair.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=__S1UNZX4MM&feature=relmfu

#1972838 - 10/13/12 04:32 PM Re: Which Zoom to buy? Q2 HD, Q3 HD, H2, H2n [Re: cscl]
cscl Offline

Loc: Suburban Boston
Thanks for the comments.

I had always been happy with the H2 and had followed a lot of commentary here on the forum when the Q3 came out, but then hadn't seen much on it since then.

I'll probably look into getting my own H2(n) or perhaps the Q3 HD.

Thanks!

#1972849 - 10/13/12 05:14 PM Re: Which Zoom to buy? Q2 HD, Q3 HD, H2, H2n [Re: cscl]
PNO40 Offline

Loc: A North Atlantic Island former...
I recently acquired a Q2HD, the newer model priced below the older Q3HD. Primarily I wanted good (stereo) sound, but was not averse to having some video recording facilities. Send me a PM if you want a sample of a recording made with it.

P.

#1973518 - 10/15/12 09:56 AM Re: Which Zoom to buy? Q2 HD, Q3 HD, H2, H2n [Re: custard apple]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
But I like the audio on the H4 somewhat better than the audio on the Q3

That's interesting Monica, I haven't used the H4. Which is cheaper ?

Pretty sure it's the H4N. But then again you don't get the video with it.

I didn't realize there was a Q2HD model. It will be interesting to see some videos made with it and compare to the Q3.

#1973746 - 10/15/12 07:21 PM Re: Which Zoom to buy? Q2 HD, Q3 HD, H2, H2n [Re: cscl]
TromboneAl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern, Northern California
Google Zoom H2 vs Zoom H4.

This article is good:

In all, both the H2 and H4 are excellent recorders, chock full of features and priced at a very nice level. With care, both should last quite awhile. The H2 typically sells for about $200 and the H3 for $300. If you want to record your gigs and practices, the H2 is a no-brainer choice. If you envision more recording needs – song writing on the road, for example – the H4 will easily do that, plus record your gigs as you go.

Read more: http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Is...x#ixzz29PeQNNN6

My Book: Becoming a Great Sight-Reader -- or Not!
My Blog: The Year of Piano Sight-Reading

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
68 registered (angelsong, Akshay, 36251, adanepst, Asmodeus, ando, 20 invisible), 1220 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249689 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission