Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1970804 - 10/09/12 01:33 PM 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b?
Icefox Offline

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/3319803640.html

I was pondering about a 20k quote on a new kawai rx2 when this 1981 model b for 30k came out. I am inexperienced when it comes to used pianos and here I am asking for advice. I talked to the owner. He said his parents had this piano before they passed away, has always been well maintained, it's not being played in the past two years, slightly yellowish ivory otherwise very good condition etc. Owner is 3 hrs driving so I can't just drop by and check it out, but if what I find out here is promising enough, I am willing to make the trip.

A few things I would like to ask particularly:

What should I reasonably expect from a 30 years old model b, physically and harmonically? Will the paint be dull? Yellow ivory with hairline cracks? Will it sound and play much like a brand new model b, or will there be noticeable deterioration? If a brand new model is 100/100 in both appearance and sound, how would you grade a 30 years old one in reasonable condition?

Suppose condition is very good for it's age, Is the price right? How would you compare this model b for 30k with a brand new rx2 for 20k? FYI I would describe myself as an intermediate level amateur pianist and at my age likely not going to advance far in my skills.

My intended space for the piano is 15 x 12 x 12 (high ceiling). I'm not likely to move again in 10 years. Is a model B an overkill for the house? Will it bother neighbors?

At 30 years of age, what repair or restoration is in stock for me? How many years can I expect to just regularly maintain it and keep its condition good, before an expensive repair or restoration is mandated? And how much would that be, if it were to happen?

It's a very significant commitment and I really appreciate your inputs!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1970811 - 10/09/12 01:47 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: Icefox]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
The keytops from that era will not be ivory, so any yellowing or cracks is in plastic. Also, that is still in the teflon era, so you may or may not have expensive action issues even if well cared for. That's a wild card.

I think it is worth pursuing but plan on having it inspected and leave budget to make it nice. It's only in budget if you can afford to make it nice.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1970856 - 10/09/12 03:17 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: PianoWorksATL]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
The keytops from that era will not be ivory, so any yellowing or cracks is in plastic.

It very well could be ivory. I know a NY D from the mid-80s that has very nice one-piece ivory tops.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1970858 - 10/09/12 03:20 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: beethoven986]
Guapo Gabacho Offline

Loc: Rio Grande Valley of Texas
Originally Posted By: beethoven986
It very well could be ivory.

He won't know unless he looks at the piano.

#1970866 - 10/09/12 03:37 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: Icefox]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Icefox
has always been well maintained

Everyone always says this, and it's usually BS. Look at the pictures. Do you see how dusty it is? Well-maintained pianos don't look like that.

What should I reasonably expect from a 30 years old model b, physically and harmonically? Will the paint be dull? Yellow ivory with hairline cracks? Will it sound and play much like a brand new model b, or will there be noticeable deterioration? If a brand new model is 100/100 in both appearance and sound, how would you grade a 30 years old one in reasonable condition?

You have to judge the individual piano on its own merits, as there are too many variables. A 30 year old Steinway should still be structurally sound, but you will not have a concert-ready instrument without intervention. Additionally, I consider the Steinways built during the last two years to be vastly superior in general to the ones from this era.

Suppose condition is very good for it's age, Is the price right? How would you compare this model b for 30k with a brand new rx2 for 20k? FYI I would describe myself as an intermediate level amateur pianist and at my age likely not going to advance far in my skills.

As far as I know, that's in the ballpark for this age. For reference, a Steinway B that is unplayable (aka a core piano to be rebuilt), will typically cost $10-15k. It is impossible to compare the two pianos without seeing them. That said, I doubt any performance advantage of the B (if there is any), will be worth the extra $10k to an intermediate pianist.

My intended space for the piano is 15 x 12 x 12 (high ceiling). I'm not likely to move again in 10 years. Is a model B an overkill for the house? Will it bother neighbors?

No.

At 30 years of age, what repair or restoration is in stock for me? How many years can I expect to just regularly maintain it and keep its condition good, before an expensive repair or restoration is mandated? And how much would that be, if it were to happen?

It depends on how well you want the piano to perform and what environment the piano is subjected to. You may be able to get another 30 years out of it as is if you're not picky. If your goal is optimal performance, I can tell you just by looking at the condition of the inside that you're probably due for new strings, at which point you're likely going to want to replace the pin block and do bridge reconditioning work, etc. It will likely benefit from voicing and regulation, too, if not outright replacement of the action.

#1970874 - 10/09/12 03:55 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: Icefox]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/3319803640.html

How would you compare this model b for 30k with a brand new rx2 for 20k? FYI I would describe myself as an intermediate level amateur pianist and at my age likely not going to advance far in my skills.

Let's see....a 31 year old Steinway B for $30K that definitely is going to need work over time ($$$$), versus a brand new Kawai RX2 for $20K with a nifty millennium action and a new piano warranty. Plus, you are an intermediate level player and the space the piano will be kept in is not very large.

IMO, the Kawai will be easier on your pocketbook, most likely give you fewer worries and headaches, be well-suited to your skills, and more than adequately fill your house with beautiful sounds.

#1970877 - 10/09/12 04:02 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: PianoWorksATL]
Icefox Offline

The keytops from that era will not be ivory, so any yellowing or cracks is in plastic. Also, that is still in the teflon era, so you may or may not have expensive action issues even if well cared for. That's a wild card.

Well I guess I should have used another word -- I used "ivory" just to refer to the keys being fully aware that most likely the keys are just plastic. My impression is that the "teflon era" ended in 1980 and this is 1981, but I maybe wrong. If it is indeed from the teflon era, I would avoid it.

#1970880 - 10/09/12 04:08 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: carey]
Icefox Offline

Quote:

IMO, the Kawai will be easier on your pocketbook, most likely give you fewer worries and headaches, be well-suited to your skills, and more than adequately fill your house with beautiful sounds.

Well said. I was sure I wouldn't be able to fully appreciate a Steinway over a Kawai. But I also thought, well not all Porsche 911 owners are racing drivers, many are just average men in mid-life crisis. I guess there is a bit of "hey it's a Steinway" behind it. Not to say this is definitely inappropriate. Anyway thanks for your input.

#1970883 - 10/09/12 04:20 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: beethoven986]
Icefox Offline

"Everyone always says this, and it's usually BS. Look at the pictures. Do you see how dusty it is? Well-maintained pianos don't look like that. "

Owner said the finish was satin, not shiny. Don't know if this explains it all though.

"As far as I know, that's in the ballpark for this age. For reference, a Steinway B that is unplayable (aka a core piano to be rebuilt), will typically cost $10-15k. It is impossible to compare the two pianos without seeing them. That said, I doubt any performance advantage of the B (if there is any), will be worth the extra $10k to an intermediate pianist."

Well said.

"It depends on how well you want the piano to perform and what environment the piano is subjected to. You may be able to get another 30 years out of it as is if you're not picky. If your goal is optimal performance, I can tell you just by looking at the condition of the inside that you're probably due for new strings, at which point you're likely going to want to replace the pin block and do bridge reconditioning work, etc. It will likely benefit from voicing and regulation, too, if not outright replacement of the action."

Thank you so much for the info!

#1970891 - 10/09/12 04:49 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: Icefox]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
On the other hand, if your goal is optimal performance, whatever that may mean, you may not get it from a much smaller Kawai, either.

Optimal opinions are not going to come from someone who says, "I can tell you just by looking at the condition of the inside that you're probably due for new strings, at which point you're likely going to want to replace the pin block and do bridge reconditioning work, etc. It will likely benefit from voicing and regulation, too, if not outright replacement of the action," without looking at the inside of the piano in question. Or listening or playing it either, for that matter.

#1970911 - 10/09/12 05:26 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: Icefox]
Rich D. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Quote:

Well said. I was sure I wouldn't be able to fully appreciate a Steinway over a Kawai. But I also thought, well not all Porsche 911 owners are racing drivers, many are just average men in mid-life crisis. I guess there is a bit of "hey it's a Steinway" behind it. Not to say this is definitely inappropriate. Anyway thanks for your input.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to acquire Steinway B regardless of your playing level. One other quick thought. Since you've already spoken to the owner, maybe he could provide you with the name and contact number of the piano technician who serviced the piano. The technician may be able to give you a better idea about the condition of the instrument to help you decide whether it's worth taking the trip to see it. If you do decide that you may want to buy it you still need to get have your own tech examine the piano. Good luck.

Rich

"Life is like a piano....what you get out of it depends on how you play it"
Anonymous

#1970915 - 10/09/12 05:28 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: Icefox]
BerndAB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
My impression is that the "teflon era" ended in 1980 and this is 1981, but I maybe wrong. If it is indeed from the teflon era, I would avoid it.

Teflon era was from 1962 to 1982. New York-built pianos only. A lot of Teflon bearing repetitions and hammershanks will be replaced, merely in "well-maintained" (..) pianos.

Edited by BerndAB (10/09/12 05:32 PM)

D 1877 satin black plain

#1970920 - 10/09/12 05:39 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: Icefox]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It very well could be ivory. I know a NY D from the mid-80s that has very nice one-piece ivory tops.
One piece ivory should be your first clue that it isn't usual.

My impression is that the "teflon era" ended in 1980 and this is 1981, but I maybe wrong. If it is indeed from the teflon era, I would avoid it.
Teflon trickled on into the early 80's, however I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss because of it. There is a lot that could be right about this piano since your current needs are moderate. That said, carey's comments make a lot of sense.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1970922 - 10/09/12 05:46 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: Icefox]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Or you could go get a new 7'2" Hailun 218 if you're wanting that bigger instrument, ready to go. Just sayin' smile
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1970971 - 10/09/12 07:37 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: BDB]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
On the other hand, if your goal is optimal performance, whatever that may mean, you may not get it from a much smaller Kawai, either.

True. But you'll save $10k in the process.

Originally Posted By: BDB
Optimal opinions are not going to come from someone who says, "I can tell you just by looking at the condition of the inside that you're probably due for new strings, at which point you're likely going to want to replace the pin block and do bridge reconditioning work, etc. It will likely benefit from voicing and regulation, too, if not outright replacement of the action," without looking at the inside of the piano in question. Or listening or playing it either, for that matter.

So tell me, then.... is it just in my world that filthy looking 30 year old pianos tend to be musically sub par? I suppose there's always an exception to the rule, but I like my odds. Pianos degrade over time, buddy... it's not an opinion. Heck. I've heard of pianos half the age of this one getting new actions and restringing!

Regardless, I didn't say that the piano definitely needed the work I listed... only that I wouldn't rule it out as possibly of being necessary for the sake of optimal performance. If that's the case, and you're going to go through all the trouble of restringing, you might as well clean up bridge notches and install new bridge pins, along with replacing the pin block. Yes, it's possible to up the tuning pin size instead, but this wouldn't be my first choice on a Steinway B. Furthermore, I don't need lectures from you about replacement vs. working with what's there; I've done my fair share of refurbishing action parts, hammers, etc. But, it is my believe that first tier instruments deserve first-tier care whenever possible.

#1970973 - 10/09/12 07:41 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: PianoWorksATL]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

One piece ivory should be your first clue that it isn't usual.

Well, sure. But it is an unaltered factory keyboard, though, so all I'm saying is it's possible smile

#1970991 - 10/09/12 08:21 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: Icefox]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
"Filthy?" The piano is unused for two years. It's going to have dust. It's the tuner/techs who tell the owners not to touch anything inside. Dust doesn't mean it's a basket case.

That looks like the water resevoir for a D-C system underneath. It might be better cared for than credit is being given.

Bottom line - It needs a detailed inspection rather than speculation.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1970996 - 10/09/12 08:30 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: Icefox]
gmf001 Offline

Loc: Uxbridge, ON, Canada
There are certainly lots of things to consider when buying a used piano, many of which have been covered here. On the other hand used B's can be quite amazing (or on the other hand - can be pretty disappointing - the range of possibilities is so wide you really can't generalize, especially given the era of this piano. I had the experience of watching and playing 2 Bs from the mid '70s with consecutive serial numbers develop into two very different instruments - one amazing, the other basically firewood). I'd certainly give it a try if you can manage the logistics. As a B owner (1958) I can appreciate how good they can be and 30K could be a good deal for you. (and a 29K ad on Craiglist could easily be $25K in your home).

#1971055 - 10/09/12 10:52 PM Re: 30k for a 1981 Steinway model b? [Re: gmf001]
Icefox Offline

Appreciate the insight!

Originally Posted By: gmf001
There are certainly lots of things to consider when buying a used piano, many of which have been covered here. On the other hand used B's can be quite amazing (or on the other hand - can be pretty disappointing - the range of possibilities is so wide you really can't generalize, especially given the era of this piano. I had the experience of watching and playing 2 Bs from the mid '70s with consecutive serial numbers develop into two very different instruments - one amazing, the other basically firewood). I'd certainly give it a try if you can manage the logistics. As a B owner (1958) I can appreciate how good they can be and 30K could be a good deal for you. (and a 29K ad on Craiglist could easily be $25K in your home).

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
09/20/14 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
09/19/14 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
09/19/14 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
09/19/14 07:08 PM
Who's Online
43 registered (Colin Thomson, Beemer, casinitaly, cmoody31, alfredo capurso, 4 invisible), 878 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157637 Topics
2315440 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission