2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, busa, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,971 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
dracaa Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'm considering purchasing a used 1994 Kohler and Campbell 5'9" grand (skg-600s). Only thing is, quite a few of the notes above the G below middle C sound too bright for my taste when play with moderate force. They sound ok if played soft OR with the soft pedal. I have no problem with the notes below that G.

So I would like to know before buying how effective it would be to have a tech needle the hammers. Just wanting to eliminate that upper harmonic sharpness I hear.

The hammers look fairly worn to me but you be the judge: http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/sarta53/pianokeys_zps9ab53055.jpg

Is there much hope that those keys can be softened up to my liking?

Kohler and Campbell skg-600s 5'9 grand (newly acquired)
I'm not a tech but ambitiously learning out of necessity
since I live in the middle of nowhere and getting a tech
to come out here for minor things (that I could and want
to learn to do myself) is prohibitively expensive.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Normally on a piano like this, hammer filing and voicing will make a noticeable improvement. Action cleaning and lubrication go hand in hand with that. As well, the regulation will need to be tweaked. Ask your technician how much a full service like that will cost.

JG
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Supply
Normally on a piano like this, hammer filing and voicing will make a noticeable improvement. Action cleaning and lubrication go hand in hand with that. As well, the regulation will need to be tweaked. Ask your technician how much a full service like that will cost.

Agreed!

K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by beethoven986

Agreed!

And the improvement will not be subtle.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by kpembrook
Originally Posted by beethoven986

Agreed!

And the improvement will not be subtle.

Also agreed!

M
M
The hammers are groovy but not too groovy. I would suggesting steaming it to soften up the hammers and then it will be less groovy. For me. filing is the last resort because it reduces the size and mass of the hammers.

You should talk to your technician. He/she will come up with something.

Also, i haven't heard it yet. So i cannot help much too.

Michelle YH Toe, LLCM
Piano Technician, CSPT
Piano Teacher
Accompanist
www.facebook.com/MichelleYHToe
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
My opinion is that the hammers are grooved quite a bit and will need to be filed. Steaming can make a difference but it is temporary. Once the humidity leaves the hammers, they will be back to a bright sound. Brightness in loud playing indicates they need to be voiced, deep needling on the shoulders.

D
dracaa Offline OP
OP Offline
D

Could you elaborate on what parts can use "lubrication"? I have purchased this piano and the main part I think needs "lubrication" would be the hammer shank joint, since now there are about 5 hammers that have friction and don't fall as smoothly as the rest, however in another post I was advised to have the hammers repinned rather than lubricated.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If you have slow hammers in a piano, then usually lubrication will only be a very temporary solution. The proper way to fix this is to re-pin the hammers, as has been said.
The friction of all the parts must be as even as possible before voicing (and for proper functioning of the action in general). We attain this by a combination of lubrication of many different contact points using different lubricants, and by making sure that the flange pinning is in the correct range. This is part of a full service.

JG
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Back to the original question, the trouble with voicing pianos is finding someone competent to do it. If you have someone, that person can assess the piano. If you do not, what people say is possible makes no difference.

Semipro Tech
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
If you have slow hammers in a piano, then usually lubrication will only be a very temporary solution. The proper way to fix this is to re-pin the hammers, as has been said.
The friction of all the parts must be as even as possible before voicing (and for proper functioning of the action in general). We attain this by a combination of lubrication of many different contact points using different lubricants, and by making sure that the flange pinning is in the correct range. This is part of a full service.

Hmm. My experience has been different. I find that usually a shot of Protek CLP does wonders.

Sometimes, though, it is necessary to repin.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, lubrication of hammer centers can help if the centers are not too tight. The OP mentions "there are about 5 hammers that have friction and don't fall as smoothly as the rest".

In all cases of my experience, by the time a player notices that the hammers are sluggish, the flanges are too tight for lubrication in itself to be a reliable long term fix. They need to be re-pinned. And usually, if the client notices five "bad" ones, there are ten more that are marginal which also need attention.

JG
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
And usually, if the client notices five "bad" ones, there are ten more that are marginal which also need attention.

Then once you get the action apart and the weight is off the whippens there could be a lot more....

D
dracaa Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the feedback. Ok I will remove the 5 slow hammers and take them to a tech to have them repinned.

Question: would repinning involve replacing the felt bushing as well?

Also I should mention that all 5 slow hammers are on the most commonly played keys, which are C, E, G (as the key of C is played hardest and most often).

Do hammers normally slow down through normal wear & tear this way?

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission