Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
119 registered (Almaviva, anamnesis, accordeur, ando, 34 invisible), 1646 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1970931 - 10/09/12 06:08 PM Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less
TheNovicest Offline

Hey, guys. I'm new to this forum, but I've been lurking around for about the past month and was wondering if you could offer me some advice on the purchase of a digital piano. My budget is $1000 and I am looking for something portable that has the standard 88 weighted keys and such. I tend to like pianos with relatively light touch, but not ones whose keys feel "plasticy."

I would also prefer a digital piano that simulates the powerful reverb and deep, rich sounds of a grand, but I realize that I have to temper my expectations at this price point. One thing that bothers me about many digital piano samples I have heard is that often the mids sound thin and the notes decay quickly. I would like to have a piano that does not suffer too badly from these issues.

Thank you for any advice you may be able to give me on this purchase. You have no idea how much I appreciate it laugh

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1970934 - 10/09/12 06:19 PM Re: Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less [Re: TheNovicest]
jhm Offline

Loc: Sweden
Yamaha P-35

Yamaha P-95

Yamaha P-105

#1970961 - 10/09/12 07:13 PM Re: Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less [Re: TheNovicest]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
In addition to the above maybe try some Casios (PX130 or the new PX150).

Have you tried the Yamaha P155 (or CP33) and decided that the touch is too heavy?

Edited by gvfarns (10/09/12 07:14 PM)

#1970993 - 10/09/12 08:26 PM Re: Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less [Re: jhm]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: jhm
Yamaha P-35

Yamaha P-95

Yamaha P-105
If you like relatively light touch, these are perfect.

IMHO, the new Casio action is superior and firmer but not always more desirable. I wouldn't make a decision without trying the Casio PX-350 and Yamaha P105 first.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1971001 - 10/09/12 08:37 PM Re: Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less [Re: TheNovicest]
TheNovicest Offline

The P155 and P105 are definitely on my list, but the nearest place I could try them is very far away. I've heard varying opinions on the GH and GHS actions, with some saying GH is too heavy and others saying GHS is too light. Do you have an opinion on which is better?

I usually sway towards a lighter touch, but I do like the P155's better internal speakers and the heavier touch would work if it provided a more realistic experience in terms of being like playing an acoustic piano.

The old Casio PX-_30s sounded kind of thin to me, but I will keep the new Casios in mind. From what I've heard, the speakers on the PX-150 are a bit small-sounding, but the PX-350's tweeters sort of compensate for the problem. I will definitely consider those options as more opinions accumulate smile

#1971018 - 10/09/12 09:29 PM Re: Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less [Re: TheNovicest]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TheNovicest
I've heard varying opinions on the GH and GHS actions, with some saying GH is too heavy and others saying GHS is too light. Do you have an opinion on which is better?

As you've noted, there are plenty of people with both of those opinions, so having one more person's opinion won't matter, unless that one person is you. ;-)

#1971053 - 10/09/12 10:50 PM Re: Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less [Re: TheNovicest]
TheNovicest Offline

Haha, I guess you're right and I'm due for a long trip up to Guitar Center.

#1971054 - 10/09/12 10:50 PM Re: Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less [Re: TheNovicest]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I usually sway towards a lighter touch, but I do like the P155's better internal speakers and the heavier touch would work if it provided a more realistic experience in terms of being like playing an acoustic piano.

The old Casio PX-_30s sounded kind of thin to me, but I will keep the new Casios in mind. From what I've heard, the speakers on the PX-150 are a bit small-sounding, but the PX-350's tweeters sort of compensate for the problem. I will definitely consider those options as more opinions accumulate smile

If you want good or even acceptable speakers, you need to look at a different type of piano. I'm aware of no slab-style piano with speakers that are even ok. Well, maybe the CP300, but it's not in your budget.

I'd suggest getting the piano with the action and tone (through headphones) you like and then buying a pair of external speakers to go with it. Even a pair of computer speakers will probably sound better than the speakers on the pianos you are looking at.

Actually, basically all digital pianos have rather poor speakers in my opinion. I always audition them with good headphones. Then I use headphones when I practice. If I must have speakers, I use my own, not the piano's.

Edited by gvfarns (10/09/12 10:51 PM)

#1971102 - 10/10/12 12:12 AM Re: Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less [Re: TheNovicest]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
That's the trouble with "hearing things". You can't trust what you hear.
I've heard varying opinions on the GH and GHS actions, with some saying GH is too heavy and others saying GHS is too light. Do you have an opinion on which is better?
What you'll get from me is different: The GHS is too light AND the GH is too light. I mean it. So how's that for creating confusion?

Here's the point: You are the only one who can judge the action. You have to try out the piano. If you cannot try it, you should not buy it.

#1971111 - 10/10/12 12:27 AM Re: Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less [Re: MacMacMac]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
Here's the point: You are the only one who can judge the action. You have to try out the piano. If you cannot try it, you should not buy it.

+1

Also, I bought a Kawai CA95 "sight unseen" although I already knew in advance that I was going to like both the action and sounds, based upon my having purchased a Kawai EP3, just before it.

What I did is not the usual course of action when buying a piano, as it's always better to try them first, to alleviate any questions or doubts.

#1971143 - 10/10/12 02:48 AM Re: Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less [Re: TheNovicest]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@TheNovicest,

From your description I think you might like the Kawai EP3, as it has very good pianos sounds, built-in speakers, and excellent reverb effects. The action is smooth and weighted, but not too heavy.

You can get one online for $1,099 as I bought mine, here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EP3Kawai/

It is also only 45 pounds, making it portable.

#1971260 - 10/10/12 11:01 AM Re: Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less [Re: TheNovicest]
Answering Offline

I'm going to second what gvfarns mentions above and expound a bit.

You may be able to get a great little slab for 1k that fits your requirements for acceptable action and sound. There are some really nice DPs in that price range. But remember the peripherals. You need a stand, a seat, cables, speakers, headphones. At most you can leave off the cables and speakers and simply use headphones.

One good thing to note is that if you go to an actual piano store, they will likely cut you a deal or at least throw in a relatively cheap x-stand and seat for free or at reduced cost. If you shop online, you get what you see unless you call the online retailer and bargain.

MP6

#1971541 - 10/10/12 08:43 PM Re: Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less [Re: TheNovicest]
TheNovicest Offline

Wow guys, thanks for all the feedback. It seems that the consensus is that I should by a DP based on its tone and action, and put some more thought into peripherals instead of worrying about built-in speakers. I will definitely have to head to GC this weekend and audition some DPs in my price range, as well as purchase some quality headphones, a sturdier X-stand, and possibly studio monitors or hi-fi speakers.

@pv88 I'll start with my usual caveat that you guys like to call me out for wink -- from what I've heard about the EP3, it seems like an instrument that suits my needs very well, but I can't seem to find a store in which I could play it and evaluate its sound and feel.

#1971634 - 10/11/12 01:11 AM Re: Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less [Re: TheNovicest]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@pv88 I'll start with my usual caveat that you guys like to call me out for wink -- from what I've heard about the EP3, it seems like an instrument that suits my needs very well, but I can't seem to find a store in which I could play it and evaluate its sound and feel.

@TheNovicest,

I bought my EP3 "sight unseen," and, although many here do not recommend doing that, I was very happy in getting mine. Great piano sounds (with the reverb settings), nice action, and, has decent built-in speakers.

#1972070 - 10/11/12 10:22 PM Re: Looking to buy digital piano for $1000 or less [Re: gvfarns]
pianonewb Offline

Loc: No. Va.
Originally Posted By: gvfarns

If you want good or even acceptable speakers, you need to look at a different type of piano. I'm aware of no slab-style piano with speakers that are even ok. Well, maybe the CP300, but it's not in your budget.

I'd suggest getting the piano with the action and tone (through headphones) you like and then buying a pair of external speakers to go with it. Even a pair of computer speakers will probably sound better than the speakers on the pianos you are looking at.

Actually, basically all digital pianos have rather poor speakers in my opinion. I always audition them with good headphones. Then I use headphones when I practice. If I must have speakers, I use my own, not the piano's.

I would agree 100% with this assessment. I own a PX 120, which is at least 2 generations removed from the 150. But the sounds in that piano are pretty good. The piano sounds through the onboard speakers aren't done any justice. But run through my PA (or through a good stereo, which I have also done), and this piano really shines. with the improvements to the PX 150, it should sound even better.
By the way, if I had to don a pair of headphones everytime I played, it would get really old really fast. YMMV.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
country style piano
by seniormoment
12/21/14 12:42 PM
Fanny Waterman criticizes British pianists
by bennevis
12/21/14 12:37 PM
Forum Stats
77383 Members
42 Forums
160040 Topics
2350183 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission