2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
cscl Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I haven't caught much talk here on the forums about all the options that Zoom has these days. Maybe I missed it? I used a borrowed H2 for the past five years, now it's time to buy one of my own.

What would you recommend? Is the Zoom H4n the new H2?

Now that there are HD options for video, does that make the audio-only versions obsolete? Can you separate the audio from the video? I'm usually more interested in the audio recording of my piano, rather than the seeing myself play, does that make the H4n the way to go?

Thanks!

Last edited by cscl; 10/09/12 08:34 AM.

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Have you considered other brands? Sony makes some wonderful recorders. I recently replaced my failing Zoom4 with a Tascam DR-05. Although it is one of Tascam's low end models I find it comparable to the older Zoom in performance and superior in build quality with a solid look and feel which compares quite favorably against the Zoom's rather flimsy feel and rather homely appearance. I cannot speak to its durablity compared to the Zoom. The Zoom lasted me about five years of modest usage before it failed.

I think any of the Zooms, Tascams or Sonys will yield acceptable recordings. Even the lowest priced Zoom H1 (at amazon for under $70) has basically the same audio specs as the more expensive models.

Last edited by TX-Dennis; 10/09/12 11:38 AM.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I don't know about Sony products but I use the Zoom Q3, the model preceding the Zoom Q3 HD.
Yes the audio-only function is very clear. If you don't plan to use video much, I think you will save money by not buying the HD.
Then again, if you want to "Invest Once, Invest Well", why not go for the latest product on the market, if you can afford it imo.

Last week for the very first time, I used the audio and video function combined to record a jazz concert. I was standing at the back of the seats about 20 metres (22 yards) from the stage, and was surprised at how acceptable the quality was. Here is an example, I can hear all the instruments even after I compressed it to a mp4 file for you-tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJRbTKqr98Y

Originally Posted by custard apple

Last week for the very first time, I used the audio and video function combined to record a jazz concert.

Forgive me for being off topic, but I can't believe you have this recording of "Hurricane" Andrew Speight! I saw him play in a small bar in SF many years ago. He was quite gracious with his time, chatting about his music at the bar. And then he blew the doors off of the place. I bought his CD that night, but lost it before I could rip it. It is not available on iTunes, Spotify, etc. and his website doesn't work. I'll bet it was a really good show...

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I have the H4, Q3, and Q3HD. I like the Q3HD is significantly better than the Q3, and not just for the improved picture quality. But I like the audio on the H4 somewhat better than the audio on the Q3 (the difference is slight), and I find it easier to edit the audio when it's off the H4 rather than the Q3HD.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I looked at the Zooms, ending up buying a used Sony for $30 (list is $50 new). It is more than enough for my amateur needs. I like connecting it directly to the digital, so mic placement and mics become irrelevant. I used a splitter so I can hear when I record.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Monica K.
But I like the audio on the H4 somewhat better than the audio on the Q3

That's interesting Monica, I haven't used the H4. Which is cheaper ?

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by kenjazz

Last week for the very first time, I used the audio and video function combined to record a jazz concert.

Forgive me for being off topic, but I can't believe you have this recording of "Hurricane" Andrew Speight! I saw him play in a small bar in SF many years ago. He was quite gracious with his time, chatting about his music at the bar. And then he blew the doors off of the place. I bought his CD that night, but lost it before I could rip it. It is not available on iTunes, Spotify, etc. and his website doesn't work. I'll bet it was a really good show...

So they call him Hurricane ? I didn't know that ! I call him Charlie Speight.
Yes he is the nicest dude and I will always remember the concert. He is so generous that the cost was zero ! I'm not surprised he doesn't have a working web-site as he is so humble.
I love his trading bars with the drummer at the end of his uptempo The End of a Love Affair.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=__S1UNZX4MM&feature=relmfu

C
cscl Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the comments.

I had always been happy with the H2 and had followed a lot of commentary here on the forum when the Q3 came out, but then hadn't seen much on it since then.

I'll probably look into getting my own H2(n) or perhaps the Q3 HD.

Thanks!

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
I recently acquired a Q2HD, the newer model priced below the older Q3HD. Primarily I wanted good (stereo) sound, but was not averse to having some video recording facilities. Send me a PM if you want a sample of a recording made with it.

P.

Originally Posted by Monica K.
But I like the audio on the H4 somewhat better than the audio on the Q3

That's interesting Monica, I haven't used the H4. Which is cheaper ?

Pretty sure it's the H4N. But then again you don't get the video with it.

I didn't realize there was a Q2HD model. It will be interesting to see some videos made with it and compare to the Q3.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Google Zoom H2 vs Zoom H4.

This article is good:

In all, both the H2 and H4 are excellent recorders, chock full of features and priced at a very nice level. With care, both should last quite awhile. The H2 typically sells for about $200 and the H3 for $300. If you want to record your gigs and practices, the H2 is a no-brainer choice. If you envision more recording needs – song writing on the road, for example – the H4 will easily do that, plus record your gigs as you go.

Read more: http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazi...4_Two_Handy_Recorders.aspx#ixzz29PeQNNN6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission