Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 11 of 101 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 100 101 >
Topic Options
#991392 - 11/17/07 05:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
z32 Offline

Loc: California
^^ NP! Just glad I could help!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#991393 - 11/20/07 06:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
I started Black Forest Polka, it's really fun to play and starts sounding nice right after the inverted triads.

#991394 - 11/22/07 08:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
z32 Offline

Musetta's Waltz here! Lovely lil' song.

Musetta\'s Waltz

#991395 - 11/26/07 06:37 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
iluvuchopin Offline

Loc: Singapore
hi all,

i started learning piano 2 wks ago and juz finished my 2nd lesson. My teacher skipped bk 1 for me and went directly into bk 2. But personally, i only like a few of the pieces in the bk. My teacher is also putting me on the Piano Pieces for Children (the green bk) which i really like.

By the way, anyone knows what lvl is Chopin's Noctrune in C# Minor Op 20? How long do I need to be able to play tat piece? it's really tat piece tat got me started to want to learn the piano \:\)

#991396 - 11/27/07 01:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
johnnymb Offline

Loc: Southeast Pa.
Hello, I have been reading this thread for quite some time. I began "playing" about six months ago at 42 years of age. Always wanted to do it but lacked the courage. My six year old son also started a little before me, we have the same teacher. I played guitar as a youngster but gave it up many years ago. My teacher started me on the Alfred's Chord Approach for adults and I began book two several weeks ago. The first song in book two "On with the show" I thought was difficult and should have been a little further in the book. Anyone else using the chord approach books? The most amazing thing about learning to play the piano to me is sitting at my piano looking at the book, and being 100% absolutely bewildered, but after a few hours of practice time, you get it!! And you can play it! I never thought I would enjoy it this much but it can be frustrating. Wonderful instrument, highest note is higher than a piccolo, and the lowest note lower than a double bassoon. Thanks to you all for any and all encouragement.

#991397 - 11/27/07 02:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by keycrazy:
Hello, I have been reading this thread for quite some time. I began "playing" about six months ago at 42 years of age. Always wanted to do it but lacked the courage. My six year old son also started a little before me, we have the same teacher. I played guitar as a youngster but gave it up many years ago. My teacher started me on the Alfred's Chord Approach for adults and I began book two several weeks ago. The first song in book two "On with the show" I thought was difficult and should have been a little further in the book. Anyone else using the chord approach books? The most amazing thing about learning to play the piano to me is sitting at my piano looking at the book, and being 100% absolutely bewildered, but after a few hours of practice time, you get it!! And you can play it! I never thought I would enjoy it this much but it can be frustrating. Wonderful instrument, highest note is higher than a piccolo, and the lowest note lower than a double bassoon. Thanks to you all for any and all encouragement. [/b]
Welcome to Piano World keycrazy. Sounds like your having a lot of fun with your piano. Hope the Alfred threads can be of help. Don't forget to post your pieces both here, in the monthly piano bars as well as in the quarterly recitals.

And again Welcome
Mark...

#991398 - 11/27/07 04:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
z32 Offline

Hi keycrazy! Learning and playing the piano can definitely be a wondrous and rewarding experience. Keep us updated with your progress, and if you ever need help you know where to ask!

#991399 - 11/27/07 07:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
johnnymb Offline

Thank you. My teacher does permit me to move on even if I can't play a song perfectly, however she is a stickler for almost perfect timing. I often times play pairs of eighth notes either too fast or too slow, and tend to hold the last note of the measure too long. Ok so I'll never be playing like Artur Papazian. I wish I were like many of you that have strong Classical influences. I do not. I am much more into the new age, neo-classical type piano music like Jim Brickman, Danny Wright, David Lanz, Kevin Kern, etc... I realize that learning classical music is a rite of passage with piano because it is the best music for teaching. I highly respect it, I just was never exposed much to it. I'm sure my time is coming soon.

#991400 - 11/28/07 01:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi and welcome KC.

Quote:
I often times play pairs of eighth notes either too fast or too slow, and tend to hold the last note of the measure too long
I suffered through this same phenomenon \:D

but you know what? make sure your teacher calls you on it every time and you will get rid of that behaviour.

Start training yourself to stop the pause thingy by looking ahead to the next measure prior to getting to it and knowing where you have to land.

I thought I would always have that issue but once my teacher started calling me on it saying "Where's the pause?" I became so aware of it and worked through it and so will you.

#991401 - 12/01/07 08:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Anyone have "The Riddle"...aka the Twelfth of Never

I'm having trouble getting the feel of this one. It's my next piece, and I always try to have it rough before my lesson...

Thanks...

#991402 - 12/01/07 10:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
mamawatchman Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mark...:
Anyone have "The Riddle"...aka the Twelfth of Never

I'm having trouble getting the feel of this one. It's my next piece, and I always try to have it rough before my lesson...

Thanks... [/b]
I'm just starting that one this week, so would appreciate hearing it as well.

Char

#991403 - 12/01/07 10:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
pianoluvr Offline

Wow, you guys are so far in! I'm on that Brahms' Lullaby (I think that's what it's called; I don't have the book in front of me). Any comments on the book as it progresses?

CURRENT PIECES
Beethoven Sonata Op.49 No.2
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Schumann Op.15 No.1 (About Strange Lands and People)
Schumann Op.15 No.7 (Traumerei)

#991404 - 12/01/07 11:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pianoluvr:
Wow, you guys are so far in! I'm on that Brahms' Lullaby (I think that's what it's called; I don't have the book in front of me). Any comments on the book as it progresses? [/b]
There are nice pieces directly ahead. A few that I'm not crazy about.

Lonesome road...nice

Village Dance...enjoyable

Hokey Pokey...took me a while to get it...average

Night Song...excellent

Space Shuttle Blues...like in more each day...

Aloha...yuck...

Pomp and Cicumstance...nice piece...difficult
for me...need extra time to nail it

Swinging Sevenths...Excellent

America the Beautiful...the ending is giving me a problem...not a favorite

The Polovetsian Dance...very nice...still cleaning it up

Arkansas Traveler...grows on you...nice

Musette...love it, but a challege

Musetta Waltz...excellent

The battle hymn...middle of page two a major problem for me...dont care for this one...

The Riddle...see above...

Your milage will vary... \:D

#991405 - 12/01/07 11:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
mamawatchman Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Quote:

The battle hymn...middle of page two a major problem for me...dont care for this one...

I've got to agree. I think it's the 6/8 timing that's throwing me on this one.

Char

#991406 - 12/02/07 02:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mamawatchman:
 Quote:

Char [/b]
Thats it for sure...anyone have an suggestions to fix this?

#991407 - 12/02/07 02:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
z32 Offline

I'll try starting on both the Battle Hymn piece and the Riddle next week, and see if I can post some recordings.

#991408 - 12/02/07 03:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by z32:
I'll try starting on both the Battle Hymn piece and the Riddle next week, and see if I can post some recordings. [/b]
We can't wait Ben...get to work...lol

#991409 - 12/02/07 03:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
 Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by mamawatchman:
 Quote:

Char [/b]
Thats it for sure...anyone have an suggestions to fix this? [/b]
Think of it as lazy dotted quarters in 4/4? The quarter/eighth note of one beat in 6/8 is sort of the dotted quarter/eighth note in 4/4, but it "swings" a little more - it's a little more "laid back". Hornpipes are often notated both ways when traditional/folk music is being written down - so in a harp book I have Red Haired Boy (Ian and Sylvia) is notated in 6/8, but most fiddle books notate it in 4/4 with dotted quarter/eighth notes so it's "snappier."

Just a thought, and maybe no help at all \:\(

Cathy

#991410 - 12/03/07 11:39 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I loved Aloha, I loved the arpeggiated chords. What was it you didn't like about it Mark?

I found that lots of nice music have arpeggiated chords and grace notes so it's best to get as much practice as possible so when those pieces come about, it won't be a struggle.

I'll have to scan Black Forest Polka, I think it's awesome, especially the finger work at the bottom of the first page. I had so much fun doing that because I had never done it before.

I'm going home for lunch and going to try and record the first part at least. Red dot gets me all the time but I made a concious decision to start recording everything so I can just forget it after a while.

#991411 - 12/03/07 01:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oxfords Gal:
I loved Aloha, I loved the arpeggiated chords. What was it you didn't like about it Mark?

[/b]
My problem is the arpeggiated chords...also the same with the ending of America the Beautiful

#991412 - 12/03/07 03:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Red dot got me arrrrrggghhhhh. half of Black Forest Polka

http://www.box.net/shared/v4auplz1kx

That's only half, I was on a lunch break and had to go back to work.

If anyone is interested I'll scan it for them just pm me.

Hmm Mark,It's kind of like strumming your finger on a table.

Make sure you keep your 4th finger raised, once I made a concious effort to keep it cleared the chords were cleaner.

#991413 - 12/04/07 10:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Michael Dugan Offline

Loc: Long Island NY
Hello all. I just stumbled across this web site and I think I've found a new home!

Most of my adult life I wanted to learn to play the piano. Over the years I tried to do it on my own, but never successfully. Last year I took a tour of the Steinway factory here on Long Island (my day job is a professional cabinetmaker and I went with my woodworking guild) and found myself re-inspired. Again, I went back to the keyboard, trying to teach myself.

Then, as a Christmas gift last year, my wife gave me a gift certificate for a months worth of piano lessons. I am so grateful for her doing that because I probably wouldn't have done it on my own (sometimes us guys need our women to give us a little nudge).

What a difference the lessons made! I would say that I benefit about 30% from by teacher's guidance and the other 70% comes from having to face her once a week so I had BETTER get in enough practicing time!

Anyway it's been 11 months now and I'm loving it!!! I'm in Alfred's book 2 and am learning "Night song". What a beautiful piece.

Having read through this thread, I have to agree with many others that most of the songs are a bit lack luster. Have any of you tried Alfred's Greatest Hits Vol 2? It has some really beautiful songs. I learned "Beauty and the Beast" a couple of months ago and am now working on "Think of me" from Phantom of the opera. It's really tough, but the payoff is enormous! What a beautiful piece!

That's it for now. Look for me to be a regular here! BTW below is the link to Alfred's Greatest Hits Vol 2 on amazon.

Best,

Michael

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0739002821

At it since January 07 and LOVIN IT!!!

Check out my "HOUSE BLOG" http://amateurhousebuilder.blogspot.com/

#991414 - 12/04/07 10:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Michael, glad to have you join our community.

Going to check that book out, sounds scrumptious.

#991415 - 12/04/07 07:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
johnnymb Offline

Welcome Michael - You have indeed found a home as I have recently found. I am in Alfred's chord approach book 2, been "playing" for 7 months. If only I had started 20 years ago after quitting guitar. Some are easy some are maddening. I had my lesson last night and am now starting a tune called Happy Holiday(not the Christmas tune) This will definitely be my most challenging piece yet, good mix of pairs of eighth notes with stacatto 2nds, 3rds & 5ths. Yipeeeee

#991416 - 12/06/07 10:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
PianoTeacherKim Offline

Loc: Kailua-Kona, HI
Oxfords Gal:[/b]
Nice job on your recording! I like your nice, light touch on this song. Well played!! I forgot how much I liked that one!

Michael:[/b]
A big welcome to you. It's so true about what lessons do for you! Sometimes all you need is a bit of correction and guidance and a big dose of motivation to practice! I'm really happy to hear you're enjoying yourself. "Think of Me" is one of my favorite musical theater songs -- I sang it for my group voice final waaaay back in college. :-)

Keycrazy:[/b]
Believe it or not, I feel those "what if's" too about my playing. My first instrument was flute and I concentrated on it pretty exclusively during my middle- and high-school years, only really getting into piano in college. Oh, the time I lost! But it's so great that you're playing now. So many adults don't even start because they think it's just too late.

Happy Holidays!

Kim

#991417 - 12/07/07 11:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Kim,I suffer from red dot and I can do better most of the time but your encouraging words mean a lot to me.

#991418 - 12/07/07 09:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
pianoluvr Offline

At the risk of sounding incredibly unknowledgable, what exactly is "red dot"? I've seen it used so many times but I don't think I'd be able to define it. *insert embarassed face*

On a different note, I have just started the chromatic scale. Not too bad in my opinion, although I am bothered how Alfred always starts it on the E instead of Middle C. Hehe...

CURRENT PIECES
Beethoven Sonata Op.49 No.2
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Schumann Op.15 No.1 (About Strange Lands and People)
Schumann Op.15 No.7 (Traumerei)

#991419 - 12/07/07 11:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
PianoTeacherKim Offline

Loc: Kailua-Kona, HI
Pianoluvr,

Remember tape recorders that had red dots right on the record button?

It's that strange phenomenon that occurs when you try to record your playing -- you see that red dot (digital or real-world) and all of a sudden, even though there might be nobody listening, your ability to play the piano seems to seep right out of your head! :-)

I think chromatic scales are fun. Call me crazy. Must be something about playing every note, in order -- it's very organized!! And they sound impressive to friends and family!!

Oxfords Gal,

So glad! My favorite mantra is: progress, not perfection. If you release your expectations of perfection, your enjoyment factor will go way, way up.

Warmly,

Kim

#991420 - 12/09/07 10:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Pomp and Cicumstance

Hate it. The clunk gets on my nerves but it's a good learning technic

I have Dark Eyes (Russian Folk Song) and an Etude by Chopin after that before swinging sevenths.

I tried to switch to the Basic Adult Course to speed it up a bit but my teacher said to lets just stick with the Adult all in One. So it's going to take me a long time to get to book 3, since she focuses more on Helen Curtis.

#991421 - 12/09/07 11:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Hey OG, were together, at least for the moment. I also am advancing very slowly through the book.

And, P&C is just not fun. I learned it well enough to play it somewhat, but I am droping it and moving on the SSevenths after the holidays. I'm just too busy with Christmas carols right now.

Page 11 of 101 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 100 101 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Who's Online
118 registered (accordeur, A Guy, alfredo capurso, 35 invisible), 1330 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158403 Topics
2326187 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission