Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 21 of 101 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 100 101 >
Topic Options
#991692 - 10/04/08 07:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Kymber - In terms of the Alfred series (and based on what you told us) I would suggest Book 2 - pick out some of the more advanced pieces starting about the middle ("Hava Nagila", "Etude, OP.10, NO.3", " Musetta's Waltz", "Ballin' The Jack", "La Donna E Mobile", etc.) and see how easy or difficult these are - if easy, work on them a little while and move on to Book 3 - if difficult, go back toward the beginning of Book 2 and study some of the pieces that interest you there - if these pieces in the middle that I listed are "just right" then start your serious study there and then later continue into Book 3.

Hope this helps.

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#991693 - 10/06/08 12:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Thanks JF. I will check it out.

#991694 - 10/06/08 02:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
wOw Tumbalalaika really is fun!. Been practicing it for a few hours now and of course I'm not quite @ z32 excellent level from listening to the recording but getting very close..

Still, now I've got to concentrate on the other 2-3 songs that'll take me up to page 13!

Having this much fun should be illegal \:\)

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991695 - 10/09/08 09:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

HI y'all - just finished reviewing 3 of the more difficult pieces in Book 2: "Theme from Musetta's Waltz", "Ballin' The Jack" and "La Donna E Mobile" - as is almost always the case they were played with alot more confidence, control and musicality after hammering them pretty hard initially, leting them rest for awhile while working ahead on other pieces, and then going back to them a second time for review and really polishing them off.

Recordings of all 3 (plus others) can be heard in the opening post on page 1 in this thread. "Musetta's Waltz" can also be heard in the October Piano Bar.

I will probably review a few more Book 2 pieces and then go charging into Book 3, which I'm very anxious to do since I've heard so many good things about some of the pieces in that.

Regards, JF

P.S. Don't forget to do constant review - it helps both on the reviewed pieces AND on your current pieces!

#991696 - 10/09/08 09:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Cyborg Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
I'm still working on "Canon in D". I think I'll have it wrapped up within the week. After that who knows what is next. Also, I'm still working on an arrangement of "The Star Spangled Banner". I've been at it for 2.5 months and will hopefully finish it. Finally, I'm working on "Frosty the Snowman".

I can't wait to finish Book 2.

#991697 - 10/11/08 02:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyborg:

I can't wait to finish Book 2. [/b]
Cybrg - that's exactly what I was saying for awhile there - now I'm saying that I can't wait to start Book 3 (although I'm forcing myself to wait just a little longer while I concentrate on cleaning up 2 - but it won't be much longer).

Regards, JF

#991698 - 10/13/08 01:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hmmmm

Seems the 6/8 Timing has thrown me for a tissy (theory wise) Still, I can cover this on Thursday with my teacher. Until then I will move along with the songs of which I have MANY to do this week (!!)

\:D

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991699 - 10/17/08 10:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Cyborg Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
 Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:
Cybrg - that's exactly what I was saying for awhile there - now I'm saying that I can't wait to start Book 3 (although I'm forcing myself to wait just a little longer while I concentrate on cleaning up 2 - but it won't be much longer).

Regards, JF [/b]
I FINISHED BOOK 2 !!!

I have started Book 3 now.

"The Star Spangled Banner" is finished although not as polished as I would like but it was and still is way over my ability. I have spent nearly 3 months on it and quite honestly I'm tired of practicing it. I plan on keeping it and "Canon in D" in my repetoire (I hope).

#991700 - 10/17/08 11:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I FINISHED BOOK 2 !!!

"The Star Spangled Banner" is finished although not as polished as I would like but it was and still is way over my ability. I have spent nearly 3 months on it and quite honestly I'm tired of practicing it. I plan on keeping it and "Canon in D" in my repetoire (I hope). [/b]
Well done!

I had a "gap" week where I needed to polish up some stuff. Now starting the last part of work travel for the year but hopefully still on track to have 1/2-3/4 of book #2 done by Xmas when I go home to visit the family in the UK \:\)

SC

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991701 - 10/17/08 11:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
Oh,yes! "The Star Spangled Banner" has been my toughest one yet! Even my instructor agrees that it is difficult. I am also keeping "Canon in D", "Serenade from String Quartet" and "A Very Special Day" to play for "Grand Group"
Book 3 is a challenge and I just LUV a Challenge!

#991702 - 10/18/08 05:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I FINISHED BOOK 2 !!!

[/b]
Cyborg - congratulations! Well done!

See you in Book 3 as we compare notes on the pieces and document our conquests! - have an incredible and enjoyable journey!

Regards,

#991703 - 10/18/08 05:47 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by piano4:
Book 3 is a challenge and I just LUV a Challenge! [/b]
piano4 - love you attitude (especially because it matches mine!).

Regards, JF

#991704 - 10/19/08 08:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
Way to go! JF!

#991705 - 10/21/08 10:47 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Just finished work on the supplemental book I was using along with Book 2 - this is Alfred's Adult Sacrad Piano Book, Level 2 - a collection of classic hymns coordinated by page number to Book 2 - excellent arrangements of some beautiful melodies - valuable supplement (whether or not you're particularly religious) - one of the hymns from here can be heard in the current Piano Bar (October) - I had used and completed the Sacrad Piano Book, Level 1 along with Alfred 1 before. I recommend both heartily.

Regards, JF

#991706 - 10/22/08 12:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
BobH Offline

Loc: Delaware
What is everyones opinion of La Bamba? I am having trouble making this sound like anything. This is the first piece I feel the return is not worth the effort.

#991707 - 10/22/08 02:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

BobH - La Bamba was a real big rock 'n roll hit way back in the 50s - it didn't sound like much then and it still doesn't - just alot of repetition - do the best you can with it, don't expect much from it musically even with a good performance and then move on to the next piece.

Regards, JF

#991708 - 10/31/08 02:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Just finished work on the supplemental book I was using along with Book 2 - this is Alfred's Adult Sacrad Piano Book, Level 2 - a collection of classic hymns coordinated by page number to Book 2 - excellent arrangements of some beautiful melodies - valuable supplement (whether or not you're particularly religious) - one of the hymns from here can be heard in the current Piano Bar (October) - I had used and completed the Sacrad Piano Book, Level 1 along with Alfred 1 before. I recommend both heartily.

Regards, JF [/b]

I can see that the collection of books, extra, sheet music is just going to continue to grow like a rabid vine \:D

Thanks for the suggestion(s) JF, I will look into those after the holidays.

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991709 - 11/04/08 09:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TTigg:
 Quote:

Regards, JF [/b]

I can see that the collection of books, extra, sheet music is just going to continue to grow like a rabid vine \:D

Thanks for the suggestion(s) JF, I will look into those after the holidays. [/b]
You're welcome TTigg - but look into them for the Holidays - they make great Christmas presents (assuming you've been nice rather than naughty). Ho Ho Ho!

Regards, JF

#991710 - 11/07/08 08:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
johndyoung Offline

Loc: USA
I just finished Book One and have started Book Two. I am working on the first 4 songs right now. the first one is easy but then it changes fast. I enjoy reading about the progress you all are making.

#991711 - 11/14/08 01:30 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
 Quote:
Originally posted by johndyoung:
I just finished Book One and have started Book Two. I am working on the first 4 songs right now. the first one is easy but then it changes fast. I enjoy reading about the progress you all are making. [/b]
Ok, I'm in now. Down in the Valley is about as difficult as something halfway through Book One, but it is useful for me in two respects. First, it sort of gets me back into Alfred's on a confident note. I can almost play it cleanly now, after working on it for 30 minutes. Second, and more importantly, it turns my attention onto something I had neglected in Book One. Chords. I can play the notes I see written, but if you asked me to play a G7 (for example), I wouldn't know how. That sort of thing must be important, though, so I'll try to take the time in Book 2 to make sure I don't leave any of that behind.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#991712 - 11/17/08 07:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Undone Offline

Loc: USA, CT
I’ve found that there are quite a few places throughout this book where you are presented with a relatively simple piece to introduce a new subject, and this is then followed by a piece that is much more challenging and also much more rewarding once you get it down.

#991713 - 11/17/08 05:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Undone:
I’ve found that there are quite a few places throughout this book where you are presented with a relatively simple piece to introduce a new subject, and this is then followed by a piece that is much more challenging and also much more rewarding once you get it down. [/b]
Agreed. Lost a little time on my overall plan due to somehow pinching the nerve in my shoulder. That of course resulted in no play for 3wks \:\(

Still on track to get just over 1/2 way through by Xmas and this also includes some heavy time trying to polish off my recital piece which is due this Saturday! back to the keys.. .

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991714 - 11/23/08 10:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Debbie57 Offline

Loc: Kansas
I picked up Alfred's all-in-one book 2 Saturday at my lesson, primarily so I could learn pieces that others are playing and not feel so lost sometimes when I simply can not count a measure. In addition to get to be in touch with others who are playing the same things.

I'm about 1/3rd to half way, through Faber & Faber all-in-one book 2. I've only been taking re-learner lessons for a year. My first book was Faber and Faber Accellerated for Adults book 2. Are we seeing a trend here?? My life in book two:) And just for kicks, I have my original John Thompson book 2 from the 60's.

I hate this trait about myself, but I tend to be a start at step one/page one thinker. I could take on Alfred's that way, but wondered where the group here actually is. So I could start where you are. Or, if anyone particularly liked some of the pieces from this book and had recommendations. I'm not going to stop Faber, just add this Alfred's on. I think it'll be fun. I wandered through the first pages and hung myself on the second measure of Guantanamera. I will have to count this one to myself slowly, since I don't know the tune.

Debbie,
who tends to ramble apparently.

#991715 - 11/24/08 09:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Undone Offline

Hi Debbie, I too started re-learning close to one year ago. It had been about forty years since my last formal lesson so I went all the way back to Alfred’s Adult all-in-one Book one page one. I’m now a little over half way through book two (just finished “Etude, Op.10, No.3 (Theme) by Chopin”. Like you, I like to move step by step through process.

For me, book one went fairly quickly but book two is taking much more time. I like to keep after a piece until I can get a recording of it that I’m satisfied with. There are many different opinions about how much one should work on a piece before moving on, but one thing I’ve learned while working on book two is that this is definitely not a race. There is no finish line; it’s something one can simply continue to work at their entire life no matter when they start. So I keep working on a few “supplemental pieces” along with Alfred’s and find this helps when working on Alfred’s pieces that aren’t “my cup of tea”.

Ultimately I believe that how we choose to practice, how long we continue to work on any given piece, and how many pieces we work on at the same time are all a matter of personal preference. The key is to find what process works for you, keeps you motivated, and wanting to return to the piano day after day; not because it’s on your “To Do” list, but because it’s something you truly enjoy.

Undone

#991716 - 11/24/08 09:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Debbie57 Offline

Loc: Kansas
Undone,

Sounds like we have shared similar experiences in terms of the gap and where we are working right now. The first Faber book I went through seemed to go much more rapidly than my second all-in-one book is going. I'm glad I went ahead and bought the Alfred's book 2. In theory, I had thought I should be able to do the opening pieces fairly easily. In reality, I'm needing to work on them. It's nice to me to simply have a place to read and learn from a book I have in my hands.

Debbie

#991717 - 11/26/08 02:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
Hi Folks, It seems like months since I last practiced on my piano...it was months!!, I took a DP with me but only bothered to fix it up a few times..too much hassle. Now I'm back home for awhile I've got to knuckle down and revise over Book One before I can progress into Book Two again. OT, I tried logging into this forum on public computers, twice in the Netherlands and once in Germany, but it wouldn't recognise my log in details so I gave up.

#991718 - 11/27/08 07:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
BobH Offline

Hi guys, I normally only post questions but saw comments on the book 3 thread that this thread is becoming a bit inactive. I am currently finishing up with Rock-a My Soul and Calypso Carnival. To date Calypso Carnival is taking the most time as I often miss one of the keys on the long LH stretch between the two A notes. I also really have to concentrate to play the RH A in the fifth bar as my hand thinks it should be an F#. Is it just me or is this piece a bit more tricky then the earlier stuff.

#991719 - 11/28/08 10:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Undone Offline

Hi BobH, I got a big kick out of learning Calypso Carnival. It took me some time to get it down too, but once I got it, I added it to my “list of things I play through on a regular basis”. It’s just plain old fun to play; I especially like trying to play it quite fast and very staccato, almost “music box” like. You’ll be coming upon another short and fun piece in soon “Divertimento in D”, it only takes about thirty seconds to play, but is another good one to keep in your back pocket for, as the name indicates, “a diversion”.

PS: Grow to like the "a bit more tricky" stuff; there's a lot more to come.

#991720 - 11/28/08 12:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Undone:
You’ll be coming upon another short and fun piece in soon “Divertimento in D”, it only takes about thirty seconds to play, but is another good one to keep in your back pocket for, as the name indicates, “a diversion”.
[/b]
I agree with Undone about the delights of the "Divertimento in D" piece - one of my favorites in Book 2 - play it thru twice and you'll have a full minute of pleasure - create your own 2 or 3 note transition back to the beginning in the last measure.

Another short but neat piece is "Festive Dance".

Regards, JF

#991721 - 12/03/08 05:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
BobH Offline

I picked up a copy of Alfreds Basic Adult Sacred Piano Book level 2 last weekend as suggested by John Frank. I wanted something to suplement the reqular book 2. So far I really like the pieces but miss having the recordings that are available for the standard course books. I did download MIDI files from the net but the arrangements are not quite the same. In any case I am sure I will enjoy using this book.

Page 21 of 101 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 100 101 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
109 registered (Anticlock, Amaranth, aesop, anotherscott, AaronM, 29 invisible), 1093 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157133 Topics
2307676 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
First time purchasing an acoustic piano, need some help.
by Lockon52
08/28/14 07:14 PM
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-83s Parts needed
by Jason Solis
08/28/14 06:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission