Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
147 registered (accordeur, 36251, ajames, 48 invisible), 1584 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1971379 - 10/10/12 03:10 PM Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help
jamie0168 Offline

At the suggestion of all the professional piano teachers I knew, I recently raised my rates starting in September of this year. My inital fear was that my current students/parents would leave.

Actually, the opposite happened. They all stayed and I have had NO new students join the studio since! I've had at least 10 prospective students ask about joining the studio, every one of which has even refused a complimentary first lesson! Last semester, 8 out of those 10 students would have joined my studio! What is going on? Was raising my rates to be comparable with other teachers in my area a bad decision? What do I do? Did anyone else go through this?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1971436 - 10/10/12 05:00 PM Re: Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help [Re: jamie0168]
pianomouse Offline

Loc: Europe
As your rates are now at the same level as everybody else's, you're not anymore just the 'best choice' because of lower rates. On contrary, the prospective students have several teachers at the same rate level to choose from, which might have had the effect you experienced.
How much did you rise the rates?
Why don't you wait and see what happens next time? In the meantime, you could do some publicity like an open student concert, inviting for open lessons, etc. to make yourself wellknown.

#1971443 - 10/10/12 05:12 PM Re: Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help [Re: jamie0168]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
to the forum.

It could be that even if you hadn't raised your rates, you would have experienced the same inactivity. Assuming you live in the USA, you might be aware that we're in a major recession, borderline depression. Real unemployment is around 23% (when calculated the way they did back then); real income has dropped by over $4,000/yr; cost of living has sky-rocketed, check food and gas prices for starters. I know my wife & I've had to cut back on many activities which we used to do without a second thought. Ever since the recession started, I've notice a decline in both inquiries and accessions to the studio. From what I hear from my teachers' association, we're not alone! There are no easy answers. You could offer substantial incentives for new students, but don't be surprised if this doesn't generate much foot traffic. Piano lessons are just not seen as a must do activity by most Americans. In any event, I wish you the best of luck.

#1971456 - 10/10/12 05:34 PM Re: Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help [Re: jamie0168]
PApianoteacher Offline

You are not alone at all! I have been teaching piano lessons about 2 1/2 years now, starting with 5 students and working up to 15 before I started turning people away (I also have a full time job). I had never lost a student until the end of this August. I've lost 4 more since then. Rather than raise my rates this year I made my policies stricter and went to monthly billing with everyone. Looks like my "honeymoon" period is over!

#1971461 - 10/10/12 05:45 PM Re: Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help [Re: jamie0168]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Jamie, there is a brighter way to look at this. You have both given yourself a raise and preserved all of your students. That is a good thing, and a testament to your teaching abilities.

The other responses are similar to mine. It's an especially rough time in the US for "frills" like the arts. Just hang in there, and keep teaching well. I'm sure you didn't raise your rates radically, or beyond the norm for your area.

#1971943 - 10/11/12 05:37 PM Re: Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help [Re: jamie0168]
April's Piano St. Offline

Loc: Denton, Texas
I can relate to what you're going through jamie. I actually lost about 7 students all together. Some just fizzled out over the summer and didn't return and the others decided to not continue for what seems to be a variety of reasons. A few quit over the newer, stricter policy and perhaps also the increased tuition. You're lucky you have not lost any! I'm also not getting much interest right now. Last year, September and October was full of phone calls and e-mails for prospective students. Almost NONE this year.. ugh!! Just trying to wait it out and conserve as much money as possible. It's tough right now.

#1971996 - 10/11/12 07:00 PM Re: Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help [Re: Peter K. Mose]
AZNpiano Online   happy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
Just hang in there, and keep teaching well.

I'm doing that. I'm a much better teacher now than four years ago. But somehow that doesn't translate to getting more students.

It's a giant paradox.

#1972009 - 10/11/12 07:14 PM Re: Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help [Re: jamie0168]
MaggieGirl Offline

My daughter's studio has rates by level. So levels 3 and under are 105 a month for a 30 minute lesson once a week. Levels 4 and up are 125 a month for a 30 minute lesson.

I'm not sure WHY it's like that (books are out of pocket), but you could offer a slightly lower rate for first year students and then after they have been there a year, raise rates for them.

I think it would work well because sight unseen all teachers are comparable to a parent who is clueless and looking for a "bargain" and you are worth more because your current students are very happy and pay the higher rate.

Edited by MaggieGirl (10/11/12 07:17 PM)

#1972010 - 10/11/12 07:15 PM Re: Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help [Re: jamie0168]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Beginning students take MORE work than any other! I should charge a mint . . .

#1972038 - 10/11/12 08:40 PM Re: Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help [Re: jamie0168]
bajabill Offline

Loc: mid USA
Were all of the teachers urging you to raise your rates competitors?

#1972059 - 10/11/12 09:49 PM Re: Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help [Re: jamie0168]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Welcome to the forum! smile

Congratulations-- looks like your students think you're a good teacher!

Because your students have been with you, they know the value of your teaching and they are willing to pay a higher price to keep you because they know that you deserve it.

However, when prospective students come to you and you raise your price after you've explicitly told them a different price, then two things happen:

(1) You break what fragile trust you've established between yourselves (because you're essentially strangers)

(2) They don't know the value of your skill and they don't feel that the raise is justified in the first place.

So you've got the piano teaching part down, it seems. Now you have to get the marketing part!

Do you give free interviews? Maybe frame the "free lesson" as a "free interview" instead, so you don't sound desperate, especially after a price raise.

#1972128 - 10/12/12 12:32 AM Re: Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help [Re: MaggieGirl]
Monaco Offline

Loc: GA
Originally Posted By: MaggieGirl
you could offer a slightly lower rate for first year students and then after they have been there a year, raise rates for them.

Exactly.

#1972273 - 10/12/12 11:43 AM Re: Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help [Re: jamie0168]
Miss Karen Offline

Loc: Kent, WA (Covington)
Jamie,
I have been keeping track of when students terminate and join the last five years I have opened at my current location. Last year was far the worst I have ever experienced. I lost half of my studio due to the recession. It was delayed but it happened. I could not believe it. In 2 1/2 years ago, I raised my rates for the new and incoming students only. I have only retained four students on my old rates. One student is beginning her 6th year with me.

Now my studio is returning to the levels I had two years ago. I have a credit program my existing students to get them to refer me. This has helped gain new students.

The fall rush I thought I usually have each year has not happened. I had seven or so new students come on board during the spring and early summer this year. Do not fear but as a matter of time, your studio will get more students. The new students that started my studio with the new rates, have been with me for over 2 years.

I used to take it personally when students left but now, it is just part of the process. People change and as well as economy does change too. I just go with the flow with my business and find out what works and does not work to retain my students for long periods of time. I am trying not to be complacent and try to keep up with the trends of teaching along with music pedagogy and genres for my students. We are in a service business that is constantly changing.

Don't give up.

#1972275 - 10/12/12 11:48 AM Re: Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help [Re: AZNpiano]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
Just hang in there, and keep teaching well.

I'm doing that. I'm a much better teacher now than four years ago. But somehow that doesn't translate to getting more students.

It's a giant paradox.
I'm just wondering if this is close to composition where marketing, advertising and networking plays the MOST important part, rather than how good you are... ?

#1975165 - 10/18/12 12:42 PM Re: Raised my rates...starting to look like a bad decision. Help [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Gisele Offline

Loc: Schenectady, Saratoga Counties...
John,
I feel better after reading your post. This year, I lost 7 students. Three of them left because they can pursue other instruments (if you know what I mean) at their schools. The instrument rental is cheaper than paying for piano lessons. The schools provide weekly lessons and books for free so why pay for lessons?
In order to keep clientele, I've had to focus on finding younger students and get them interested in piano so at least I have them for 3 or 4 years. (I think our schools introduce stringed instruments when the kids turn 8 or 9.)
Although I've found some students to start this year, I don't have as many as last year. My husband's income hasn't increased in 3 years, our health insurance coverage is eating up any income we have (thus our net income is really lower than it was last year) and our kids are old enough to start activities.
So you're right, there's no easy answer. We've had to add another method to supplement our income but there's only 24 hours/day so we're doing the best we can.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need Help About Accidentals
by Batuhan
12/19/14 03:29 PM
REPOST: Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano
by kaustin
12/19/14 03:10 PM
Upright dampers not damping much, what to look for?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 01:26 PM
Restoration referrals needed
by Dewdman42
12/19/14 12:38 PM
Single note with a "harsh sound"
by i1lsia
12/19/14 12:23 PM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159989 Topics
2349495 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission