2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 13 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Ladypayne - Really nice! This one deserves a good title. I had a guitar teacher once who made us give everything a good title even if it was only four bars. He said it was a sign of respect for the composition. I think there was some wisdom in that. Your composition deserves a lot of respect.

Amaruk - Wonderful sound and production quality. How did you do that? I'm just starting to fool with some video and doing some elemental stuff with Windows Movie Maker, but you've got a master class going on there.

Mark... Very nice, and leaves us wanting more from the short snippet.

Edwardianpaino, Inlanding, Jeff - Thank you for the comments. Glen, I never feel that I have the mix just right. You are probably right that the sax should be dialed down a notch. Jeff, I don't know if you were kidding, but those are not really vibes. That is an old Yamaha EP on the vibes setting played through a tube guitar amp.

Inlanding - Those were absolutely exquisite voicings on Early October. Really pro sounding. Was there bass on that track (other than the piano)? I didn't hear it.

Jeff - Autumn in NY is one of my favorites. This was a really sweet treatment. I like the switch-up in the rhythm motif on the second part. I have a duet version of this with Tommy Flanagan and guitarist Mark Whitfield that I just love, where Mark does a minute-long solo intro and Tommy just comes up from underneath , out of nowhere, and plays the most beautiful comping on these changes. And then an understated solo that would make you cry. It makes me miss him more than any other song. Very nice job!

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Wow, things are moving along quickly here. Glen, I hadn't seen your posting until just now. Very cool sound. I thought it was live drums until I went back and read your write up. Great job.

Bill, love the Thunder Road. This is a great tune and your rendition of it is very a pleasing contrast to that of the the BOSS. Great sound

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bill,
Amazing! This is almost better than the original!! I love how you added so much warmth to this piece. Is this your own arrangement? It is not too long at all. In fact, I think it is too short as it is so good!! Thanks for sharing!!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kenjazz

Amaruk - Wonderful sound and production quality. How did you do that? I'm just starting to fool with some video and doing some elemental stuff with Windows Movie Maker, but you've got a master class going on there.

Thanks Ken!
I record the sound directly to a USB stick on the piano (.wav). In order to hear what I play I use a $5 computer speaker connected to the audio-out on my piano. That also makes it real easy to sync the two camera feeds with the master audio file as my video editor (FCPX) can automatically sync clips by sound. And when everything is synced up I just mute the audio feeds from the two cameras. Done!

Last edited by Amaruk; 09/30/12 09:17 AM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
kenjazz...you really play well, and like how you add the additional instruments. I must figure out how to do that.

Inlanding- heavy jazz sound that I like so much. You must do a youtube video. I always enjoy your videos too...

Greener wow,,,that was sweet. I;m jealous of you guys who play so well.

Bill...great job on the Bruce Thunder. My piano tech worked on Bruces stage piano, a C3 Yamaha that they painted grey to reduce reflections and full of midi stuff. I take lessons in the store where bruce visits from time to time. When he was young, the owner had to throw him out...lol You must share how you learn pop pieces, (my true love). Is it lead sheets?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ladypayne - a very enjoyable composition - I like the way it picked up intensity around the 1:45 mark.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Amaruk - a creative video presentation to go along with your excellent performance. I love being able to see the artist behind the music - very well done.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mark.... Nice job on this short but fun piece. Your video looks and sounds very crisp. I also had to give up on my Flip for audio - the Zoom has a much cleaner sound.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kenjazz - I enjoyed October's Lament - a very well produced piece.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Greener - what a cool arrangement and performance. I like the understated elegance of the first half of the song and the way you popped into your jazzy gear for the second half. Outstanding!

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Inlanding - I'm with Kenjazz - I couldn't hear any bass either but loved this bouncy, hip and jazzy riff. Way too short.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Thanks, Bill and Glenn. I'll work it up ASAP.

Mike
Casio Privia PX 120

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
[Linked Image]
Bill - Super job with Thunder Road. I've come to believe that pop tunes (especially the complex ones) are much harder to play than jazz tunes because they just have to be just right. You can't fudge it and pretend that you meant to do it that way. You really nailed all of the self-comp, so that it really was- Thunder Road.

Amaruk - Rats. FCPX is a Mac-only program right? You are on a real multi-media platform, and I'm still a troglodyte on Windows. I also have a blackberry. And an abacus.

Bill and Mark - Thank you for the comments!

Inlanding - It eluded me that Early October is an original. Maybe I was thinking Early Autumn? I don't know. Anyway, the treatment is even more impressive being that it is an original. Well done.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Ladypayne, improv, huh? Lovely. Wish I could improv like that.

Mike
Casio Privia PX 120

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
[Linked Image]
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks also Amaruk, Ken, Mark and Bill for listening and your kind reviews.

I look forward to when you are ready to take the stage, Mike.

Originally Posted by kenjazz
Jeff, I don't know if you were kidding, but those are not really vibes.

I rarely kid around, Ken wink. Actually, at first I really thought it was the real thing. The percussion sound was very good. The higher notes though and the solid chords were a dead give away. BTW, haven't lost site of your Vibes track, but Bach is still priority at the moment.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Bill - Absolutely beautiful arrangement. My favourite Springsteen too. Such imagery. I learn from you every time to slow things down. A great showcase of your skill. I wish I could play like that.
Amaruk – very moody piece, well executed.
Mark - good work - what is that recording device on top of the piano?
Kenjazz – I know this is the piano bar – but that was some nice sax work.
In Landing – I had to go back and check that was an improvisation. It seemed a very structured swing as I was listening to it.
Greener – that’s so atmospheric I could almost taste the cocktails

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm running way behind participating in the ABF piano bar; I've been busy with work and all the other things I have to do.

Here is something a little different... my youngest son, Steven, got married (for the first time smile )this past weekend. My oldest son, Mark, is a fantastic musician and has his own blues band. Mark and his band played at the wedding reception and invited both Steven (who also plays the bass at his church) and myself to play a few tunes with them on my digital piano.

Mark Henson Band with dad and brother

Hope ya'll enjoy it as much as we did! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Newman

Mark - good work - what is that recording device on top of the piano?

That is the Zoom H2

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Rickster, that has to be one of the funnest things you've ever posted laugh I loved it!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Originally Posted by Rickster

Here is something a little different... my youngest son, Steven, got married (for the first time smile )this past weekend.

Rick

What a joy to be able to share this love of music with your family! When I start playing, the family runs for the hills. I have a work colleague whose entire family are fiddle players. They travel the country together playing. I'm so jealous. Enjoy it, it is a special gift! And it sounds great too....

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission