2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1971376 10/10/12 03:04 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
The around 10 years old vertical I play at the senior center is having some problem with one of the casters. The piano, until recently, was easy to push into location. Now one side is very stuck on the floor and extremely difficult to push at all. I didn't look at the caster because since I'm not mechanically inclined I doubt I could figure out the problem.

What would be the most typical problem that causes one side of the piano to be very difficult to push and is there an easy solution?

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Oil

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
I'd start with a little WD-40 spray-on lubricant on the caster and see what happens. Be careful not to get it on the floor or anywhere near the tuning pins.

If that doesn't fix it or improve the situation, and there is no debris or obstacle stuck in the caster, it is probably warn out and needs to be replaced.

Good luck.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Castors can be tricky. I had one once that got some yarn from the carpet all wrapped up between the double wheels. Be very careful when working on castors as they are at the bottom of a very top heavy object. The piano could tip and seriously injure someone or something. It would be best to get a piano technician to look at it and order a proper replacement. You can't go down to Harbor Freight and get a proper replacement as these castors are extra heavy duty and sometimes even made of brass. Best of luck with it. As an alternative, you could look into putting one of those "furniture sliders" under that wheel and it would glide across the room with relative ease. They are cheap and readily accessable. They work pretty good too. I use them when I have to move my increadibally heavy entertainment center. (Seriously, about 600 pounds)

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

If it is a stem and cup castor style then the cup has spread and allows the wheel to jam against the bottom board,
Or
The cup is loose allowing the same thing….
Or
The stem is bent allowing the same thing….
Or
The cup is loose and the entire castor and cup would fall out of the instrument was lifted off the floor…
Or
if it is the plate style castor then the pressure fitting is too loose allowing the castor to jam against the bottom board....

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
You don't say what make of piano or what kind of castors. I've pulled mop strings out of castors more than once.

Many Castors designs are metal against metal. Rolled too fast or too long they heat up and seize. At which point the floor can get some impressive damage. (Not that I'VE ever done that).

You can look into getting a piano dolly (truck) or replacing the castors with a design that has ball bearings. Piano dolly's are very safe and highly recommended in public buildings.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
OP Offline
Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully, the piano technician can find a simple solution. I doubt they spend more than $200 per year on piano maintenance so I'll have to hope it's an easy fix.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
It may well turn out to be a cheap fix. I've seen casters that were seized by a grain of rice.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Castors aren't really designed to move a piano, rather to keep it off the floor and for short distance movements. I'd look at getting a cradle - similar to http://www.ameypianoworks.com.au/#!upright-cradles . This is a local manufacture here, but I'm sure you'll have something similar over your way. They shouldn't damage the floor, and be a lot easier and safer to manoeuvre the piano around.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I agree with Alan. Castors were not designed to move pianos all over creation but, instead, if you required carpeting, the piano was not only up and off from the floor, but, now it could be moved IF NECESSARY! But, it shouldn't be.... Because of the castor's people roll them around like an office chair.

If you want to roll thing thing around, you should have installed an system designed specifically for that like pair of Twin Dollies. They work well and last for a long, long time.

Could be the castor busted off inside of the (or bend) then thingy dingy that goes up into the piano or that it's just full of lint and dirt.

Now, castor OIL.... Try some and see how far those people can shove the piano..... hehe

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
I agree with Alan. Castors were not designed to move pianos all over creation but, instead, if you required carpeting, the piano was not only up and off from the floor, but, now it could be moved IF NECESSARY! But, it shouldn't be.... Because of the castor's people roll them around like an office chair.

If you want to roll thing thing around, you should have installed an system designed specifically for that like pair of Twin Dollies. They work well and last for a long, long time.

Could be the castor busted off inside of the (or bend) then thingy dingy that goes up into the piano or that it's just full of lint and dirt.

Now, castor OIL.... Try some and see how far those people can shove the piano..... hehe
Unfortunately, the center would never consider allocating any money for a piano dolly. The vertical is on a hard tile floor and is usually moved less than 8 feet. This has been working fine for 10+ years and several hundred moves.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I would have the maintenance man at the center take a peek at it.

A caster is not always a piano-specific thing, especially on a small upright. Besides, it is a mechanical thing, and a maintenance/handyman fixes/oils such things all the time.

Last edited by rocket88; 10/11/12 11:35 AM.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
B
BDB Offline
B
Maintenance people do not know how to tilt a piano to get at the casters.

Semipro Tech
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Tilting it should not be necessary just for one caster.

I have fixed/replaced a caster or two by picking up one end, in the same fashion as to put a moving dolly underneath, but not necessarily as high, and supporting the piano on blocks, between the casters.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
All it takes is for that castor to catch the corner of a tile 'one time' for it to bust... As I said, pianos technically were not meant to be moved....

When we fix a castor on a piano, we tilt it onto its back with a piano tilter. A good piano technician is not going to bust his butt lifting the thing up as you described. We'll turn the job down instead.

Besides, it is a mechanical thing, and a maintenance/handyman fixes/oils such things all the time.

And they screw it up all the time too. Ask me how I know this??? wink

Keep ALL OILs away from piano.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
OP Offline
Keep ALL OILs away from piano.
Can oil or some other lubricant harm a castor?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

When we fix a castor on a piano, we tilt it onto its back with a piano tilter. A good piano technician is not going to bust his butt lifting the thing up as you described. We'll turn the job down instead.

I have done it on a monster upright, all alone, using a lever and blocks of wood to lift it bit by bit on the end. Done carefully, no damage to the piano, and easy.

But then again I grew up in a family that moved machinery and heavy equipment (and a few small buildings, such as 2 car garages) as part of their business, so that is not a big deal for me.

The caster had some rug thread tangling it, and once cleared, then worked fine. BTW, I don't see how a bit of oil on a caster could hurt the piano's action.

But I see your point about the average handyman.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't think it can harm a castor but in my experience a light oil is never enough to make a difference other than relieving a slight squeak. The culprit is most likely something wound up in the axle, something bent or some broken wood.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

BTW Eric, that upright is a Feurich, circa 1918. Real heavy, but a super great piano.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hi Rocket,

Yes, so have I... But with a piano tilter, it is sooooo much easier... wink Flip the piano onto its back in no time flat, it's oh, 3 feet off from the floor, easy access, tighten the bottom of the piano while it's flipped along with tightening all of the castor screws too.

I mainly worry that when people start using oil for castors that "others" may see that as a green light, you know people, and then they might begin using it elsewhere as well inside of their pianos. That was my main reason for not wanting it used.

I suspect too that it is likely something else that lubrication won't fix. Hard to tell from here... smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission