2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Wuffski Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
soulful pieces or chill out repertoire?

Hello,
I am looking for solo piano pieces repertoire in the mood of sentimental/soulful/colorful slower music with a slight touch of melancholy, but feel not attracted by pieces which to my head appear running fast and overloading with musical sophistication requesting most professional brilliance of the piano player. I usually listen to piano music for relaxing from stressful working days and thus don´t like to have to concentrate on the music to get its soul. But if concentrating on it I of course also like to discover some fineness here and there. I for instance prefer the soundtrack of the movie Amilie over Liszt.

Best would be to have the repertoire in MIDI files to listen to it on my digital piano. If there would be a chance to alongside find sheet music for it (late beginner, early intermediate level), this of course would be perfect!

Could you recommend any composers or repertoire collections to give me a start for what to search for in more detail?
Thanks, Marco!

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Try Arvo Pärt.

For more 'crossover-like' stuff, there's always Einualdi. Also Anne Lovett.

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
A
I doubt he's looking for Arvo Pärt.

Look up Liszt Consolation No.3, Tchaikovsky's Barcarolle, Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2, Chopin Nocturne Op.Posth in c-sharp minor, Bach Prelude No.1 in C major, etc. You can try Ennio Morricone as well.
I personally don't agree with such lists because they give an incomplete view of classical music.

Schumann Carnaval, Op.9
Debussy Prelude Book 1, No.6 and No. 7
Bach WTC1 Prelude and Fugue No. 1 in C Major

W
Wuffski Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Thanks beenevis, three new names on my list!

Arpan70 mentioned:
Originally Posted by arpan70
... such lists ... give an incomplete view of classical music.

Yes, I know. But I am not a pianist and will not become one (I am only adult beginner, with fulltime job + overhours + family, so much restricted in time to really "study" piano). I happily play for hobby at home, and as a beginner just need some guidance to which direction to start to search for some music for my new hobby.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I would certainly visit the music of Federico Mompou, which seems tailor-made for what you're describing. Also, Erik Satie. Vladimir Rebikov also has a body of miniatures, as does Anatoly Liadov. Some of the early Scriabin preludes "fit". Just a few off the top of my head.

W
Wuffski Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
THANKS TO EVERYBODY SO FAR!
I found some time to search for presentations of the recommended composers and pieces on Youtube, and your recommendations are great. I especially apreciate that there appeared composers which I never heard about before. Seems that I haven´t informed myself good by now. Well, that´s why I need help in the start of my further search...

I first was afraid when reading in arpan70´s recommendations the old names, especially when Liszt became mentioned, because I have had Liszt in mind when rejecting in my request an "overloading with musical sophistication". Well, I now learned that he also did simple but very beautiful compositions. Thanks for teaching this to me!

Of course, further input is always welcome, I will frequently come back to my thread and check it for updates.
Marco.

[edited type mismatches]

Last edited by Marco M; 10/10/12 12:56 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Erik Satie's Gnossiennes.

Best regards,

Deborah
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You beat me to it, gooddog. I just opened this thread to recommend Satie...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Maybe this too?

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You might also like this:

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

W
Wuffski Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Ha! Seems that I am also a great fan of what´s to find on Youtube under "New Age piano" music without me for a long time knowing that I am a fan of this.
Follwing your recommendations and then also the extra links provided automatically by Youtube, you got me on my direction! THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE!

Furthermore, seens that I really became retarded in media competence: thought, that on Youtube would mainly be hosted the videos of adolescent kids showing nonesenss they are proudly creating throughout their days, and if music performances then of notoriouse show off artists who otherwise wouldn´t have a chance to find any audience for their dilettantism. The only dilettante around obviously am I.

Hopefully my thread catches even more people to post their recommendations to it!
A new world became opened to my ears by it, and this shall even expand!

A
A
Glad you've got some direction. You should try listening to more serious classical works like symphonies, sonatas, concertos, etc. They give a much more non-sugar coated( mostly) view. Although classical music requires effort to listen to, it is a very rewarding experience.

For now,why not try Tchaikovsky Symphony No.5 or No.6, Brahms Symphony No.4, Dvorak Symphony No.7,8,9 for now. These works never become technical, remain melodic but are nonetheless deep. For piano music why not try Beethoven's Sonata Op.13 or Op.27 No.2, Chopin's Ballade No.1 and No.4. All of these are very accessible works. And why not visit your local concert hall as well. You'd be surprised by how different the sound is. The 'technical' pieces also wouldn't sound as dull as you think them to be.

Schumann Carnaval, Op.9
Debussy Prelude Book 1, No.6 and No. 7
Bach WTC1 Prelude and Fugue No. 1 in C Major

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
new age fan detected

there's a whole generation of people now that find the old works of art too much dramatic and tragic when obviously it should lighthearted and fun

I wonder what kind of impression our shallow works of art depicting fictionalized dehumanized worlds of ever uncompromised joy will bring upon future souls

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
B
BDB Offline
B
D. 960 sonata.

Semipro Tech
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Marco, since you are Spanish you might be drawn to some of the slower works of Domenico Scarlatti, an Italian gentleman (born 1685) who spent much of his productive musical life in Spain. Here is his Sonata in A major, K.208, with a bit of an Iberian lilt:

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
'hommage à Edith Piaf', Poulenc.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission