Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1971185 - 10/10/12 06:39 AM soulful pieces or chill out repertoire?
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
soulful pieces or chill out repertoire?

Hello,
I am looking for solo piano pieces repertoire in the mood of sentimental/soulful/colorful slower music with a slight touch of melancholy, but feel not attracted by pieces which to my head appear running fast and overloading with musical sophistication requesting most professional brilliance of the piano player. I usually listen to piano music for relaxing from stressful working days and thus don´t like to have to concentrate on the music to get its soul. But if concentrating on it I of course also like to discover some fineness here and there. I for instance prefer the soundtrack of the movie Amilie over Liszt.

Best would be to have the repertoire in MIDI files to listen to it on my digital piano. If there would be a chance to alongside find sheet music for it (late beginner, early intermediate level), this of course would be perfect!

Could you recommend any composers or repertoire collections to give me a start for what to search for in more detail?
Thanks, Marco!
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1971190 - 10/10/12 07:13 AM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: Marco M]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Try Arvo Pärt.

For more 'crossover-like' stuff, there's always Einualdi. Also Anne Lovett.

#1971213 - 10/10/12 08:34 AM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: bennevis]
arpan70 Offline

Loc: Mumbai, India
I doubt he's looking for Arvo Pärt.

Look up Liszt Consolation No.3, Tchaikovsky's Barcarolle, Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2, Chopin Nocturne Op.Posth in c-sharp minor, Bach Prelude No.1 in C major, etc. You can try Ennio Morricone as well.
I personally don't agree with such lists because they give an incomplete view of classical music.
Grieg: Cello Sonata, Op.36

#1971218 - 10/10/12 09:02 AM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: arpan70]
Marco M Offline

Thanks beenevis, three new names on my list!

Arpan70 mentioned:
Originally Posted By: arpan70
... such lists ... give an incomplete view of classical music.

Yes, I know. But I am not a pianist and will not become one (I am only adult beginner, with fulltime job + overhours + family, so much restricted in time to really "study" piano). I happily play for hobby at home, and as a beginner just need some guidance to which direction to start to search for some music for my new hobby.
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

#1971254 - 10/10/12 10:41 AM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: Marco M]
Tim Adrianson Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I would certainly visit the music of Federico Mompou, which seems tailor-made for what you're describing. Also, Erik Satie. Vladimir Rebikov also has a body of miniatures, as does Anatoly Liadov. Some of the early Scriabin preludes "fit". Just a few off the top of my head.

#1971307 - 10/10/12 12:55 PM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: Marco M]
Marco M Offline

THANKS TO EVERYBODY SO FAR!
I found some time to search for presentations of the recommended composers and pieces on Youtube, and your recommendations are great. I especially apreciate that there appeared composers which I never heard about before. Seems that I haven´t informed myself good by now. Well, that´s why I need help in the start of my further search...

I first was afraid when reading in arpan70´s recommendations the old names, especially when Liszt became mentioned, because I have had Liszt in mind when rejecting in my request an "overloading with musical sophistication". Well, I now learned that he also did simple but very beautiful compositions. Thanks for teaching this to me!

Of course, further input is always welcome, I will frequently come back to my thread and check it for updates.
Marco.

[edited type mismatches]

Edited by Marco M (10/10/12 12:56 PM)

#1971510 - 10/10/12 07:35 PM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: Marco M]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Erik Satie's Gnossiennes.

Deborah

#1971623 - 10/11/12 12:23 AM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: Marco M]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
You beat me to it, gooddog. I just opened this thread to recommend Satie...

Music is my best friend.

#1971635 - 10/11/12 01:11 AM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: Marco M]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Maybe this too?

Music is my best friend.

#1971660 - 10/11/12 03:52 AM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: Marco M]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

You might also like this:

Music is my best friend.

#1971696 - 10/11/12 07:13 AM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: Marco M]
Marco M Offline

Ha! Seems that I am also a great fan of what´s to find on Youtube under "New Age piano" music without me for a long time knowing that I am a fan of this.
Follwing your recommendations and then also the extra links provided automatically by Youtube, you got me on my direction! THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE!

Furthermore, seens that I really became retarded in media competence: thought, that on Youtube would mainly be hosted the videos of adolescent kids showing nonesenss they are proudly creating throughout their days, and if music performances then of notoriouse show off artists who otherwise wouldn´t have a chance to find any audience for their dilettantism. The only dilettante around obviously am I.

Hopefully my thread catches even more people to post their recommendations to it!
A new world became opened to my ears by it, and this shall even expand!

#1971760 - 10/11/12 10:42 AM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: Marco M]
arpan70 Offline

Loc: Mumbai, India
Glad you've got some direction. You should try listening to more serious classical works like symphonies, sonatas, concertos, etc. They give a much more non-sugar coated( mostly) view. Although classical music requires effort to listen to, it is a very rewarding experience.

For now,why not try Tchaikovsky Symphony No.5 or No.6, Brahms Symphony No.4, Dvorak Symphony No.7,8,9 for now. These works never become technical, remain melodic but are nonetheless deep. For piano music why not try Beethoven's Sonata Op.13 or Op.27 No.2, Chopin's Ballade No.1 and No.4. All of these are very accessible works. And why not visit your local concert hall as well. You'd be surprised by how different the sound is. The 'technical' pieces also wouldn't sound as dull as you think them to be.
Grieg: Cello Sonata, Op.36

#1971779 - 10/11/12 11:24 AM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: Marco M]
Doritos Flavoured Offline

Loc: Brazil
new age fan detected

there's a whole generation of people now that find the old works of art too much dramatic and tragic when obviously it should lighthearted and fun

I wonder what kind of impression our shallow works of art depicting fictionalized dehumanized worlds of ever uncompromised joy will bring upon future souls

my piano haiku

#1971804 - 10/11/12 12:48 PM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: Marco M]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
D. 960 sonata.

#1971832 - 10/11/12 01:57 PM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: BDB]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Marco, since you are Spanish you might be drawn to some of the slower works of Domenico Scarlatti, an Italian gentleman (born 1685) who spent much of his productive musical life in Spain. Here is his Sonata in A major, K.208, with a bit of an Iberian lilt:

#1971953 - 10/11/12 05:50 PM Re: soulful pieces or chill out repertoire? [Re: Marco M]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
'hommage à Edith Piaf', Poulenc.

Couperin pices, Ravel tombeau de C

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (AmateurBob, Alex1, accordeur, 88 Fingers Jeff, 44 invisible), 1817 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75506 Members
42 Forums
156137 Topics
2292832 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OK so a 700 pound grand piano walks into my house and...
by BrianDX
14 minutes 5 seconds ago
Digital Piano Sufficient for a Newbie?
by DancerJ
33 minutes 33 seconds ago
E.Tubin - "Ballade on a theme of Mart Saar"
by Svenno
42 minutes 12 seconds ago
What key signature are you?
by Saranoya
43 minutes 1 second ago
The Princess: from Waltz of the Asparagus People
by Piano World
47 minutes 23 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission