Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
116 registered (ando, anotherscott, 36251, Anne'sson, A Guy, 40 invisible), 1549 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 262 of 275 < 1 2 ... 260 261 262 263 264 ... 274 275 >
Topic Options
#1983833 - 11/07/12 04:39 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
I've got a double yellow headed Amazon parrot named Sweetpea who lives in my piano room. She's usually pretty quiet except in the late afternoon. If I want to practice then the dreaded cage cover comes out.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1983851 - 11/07/12 05:34 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: ChopinAddict]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano
It's a cockatiel. smile

What's its name? I bet it is a character! I like birds.

Howie (Howard). smile He is a whirlpool of energy, but he likes the piano and when I play he jumps into my lap, looks up and just listens. He prefers cheerful music to sad music. laugh

LOL- one of my brothers is called Howard!!! Does Howard the bird ever chirp along to your piano playing?
Aww he likes happy music- he must be able to tell the minor keys from the majors ha ha!

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1983852 - 11/07/12 05:35 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: -Frycek]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: -Frycek
I've got a double yellow headed Amazon parrot named Sweetpea who lives in my piano room. She's usually pretty quiet except in the late afternoon. If I want to practice then the dreaded cage cover comes out.

LOL Frycek! Sweetpea must have a sudden energy surge in the afternoons! How big is she? Does she say funny things? Do you let her out to fly about?

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/07/12 06:20 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1983860 - 11/07/12 06:01 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: EdwardianPiano]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
ha Yes, sometimes he does. smile And sometimes he jumps from my lap on my arm. He is only 80 grams, but I feel him on my arm while playing. He doesn't seem to be bothered by the movement in the least. He also gets loud in the late afternoon by the way.

Music is my best friend.

#1983865 - 11/07/12 06:13 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: ChopinAddict]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

ha Yes, sometimes he does. smile And sometimes he jumps from my lap on my arm. He is only 80 grams, but I feel him on my arm while playing. He doesn't seem to be bothered by the movement in the least. He also gets loud in the late afternoon by the way.

He sounds so cute! Maybe birds get loud in the afternoon as in the wild they would be looking for their last meal before dusk so it could be instincts- he might be asking you to feed him LOL

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1983871 - 11/07/12 06:31 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: EdwardianPiano]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

He is adorable! heart He nudges me, flies to me, gives me little kisses (he really imitates the sound), and... he is very spoiled... He always gets what he wants. I have no power. He is the boss. His crest tells me his mood, and I surrender. wink

Music is my best friend.

#1983879 - 11/07/12 06:48 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
I have a feeling that if Chopin himself were following his thread, he'd rather enjoy this exchange on pet birds.

#1983880 - 11/07/12 06:57 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: ChopinAddict]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

He is adorable! heart He nudges me, flies to me, gives me little kisses (he really imitates the sound), and... he is very spoiled... He always gets what he wants. I have no power. He is the boss. His crest tells me his mood, and I surrender. wink

I'm melting..... heart
I love the crests on birds' heads- so sweet! I'm dying to see his photo now!

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/07/12 07:00 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1983881 - 11/07/12 06:59 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mary-Rose]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mary-Rose
I have a feeling that if Chopin himself were following his thread, he'd rather enjoy this exchange on pet birds.

Did the great Frederic like birds? I have a biography on him but not read it all yet, but I doubt it'd go into that much detail- seems to be mostly about his composing.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/07/12 06:59 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1983883 - 11/07/12 07:08 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: EdwardianPiano]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I'm melting..... heart
I love the crests on birds' heads- so sweet! I'm dying to see his photo now!

His crest is clearly visible here, in a moment of deep relaxation. laugh

Music is my best friend.

#1983885 - 11/07/12 07:11 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Gorgeous, beautiful sweet bird!!!! A magnificent crest! Thanks for posting his photo. Suits his name as well LOL

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1983889 - 11/07/12 07:13 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: EdwardianPiano]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thanks! laugh

Music is my best friend.

#1983890 - 11/07/12 07:15 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

I want one now LOL

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1983893 - 11/07/12 07:19 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: EdwardianPiano]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

They are wonderful pets! smile Very affectionate and sociable (he asks for cuddles non-stop).
There is a lot of info here, as well as cool photos. 3hearts

Music is my best friend.

#1983922 - 11/07/12 09:52 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: ChopinAddict]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweet!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1984176 - 11/08/12 01:35 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Really cute bird, but I don't recall Chopin ever expressing any emotional leanings toward our feathered friends. He did, however, like little white dogs and was also partial to toddlers.

That life-size cutout of Chopin would freak me out! Just how do they ship it? Do they have to fold it somewhere? I can't bear to think of that at all.

Kathleen

Edited by loveschopintoomuch (11/08/12 01:42 PM)

#1984183 - 11/08/12 01:52 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

A litte white dog.

This is the character that keeps me from practicing. She whines!! Sorry it's so big. I forgot how to insert stuff. It's been a while.

Kathleen
[img:center][/img]

#1984223 - 11/08/12 03:05 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Awww fluffy alert! A Bichon Frise! So cute!!! What's her name?

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/08/12 03:06 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1984257 - 11/08/12 04:47 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

I've posted her pic before some time ago, but since you asked....her name is Katie. And Yes, she is a Bichon. She has practically every single trait of her breed, including thinking she is smarter than I. And, at times, she is. shocked

But since I don't quite trust her in the living room where I keep my grand piano, she is relegated outside of this room by means of a child's gate. She is NOT happy about it, and she really lets me know by whining so loud and so long, I have to finally give up to save my sanity. So I have to blame my lack of progress at the keyboard on her. laugh

Thanks for asking,
Kathleen

#1984309 - 11/08/12 06:45 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Cute doggie! So sweet! smile My bird also tries to keep me from practicing, so I got used to playing with him on some part of my body, or it can get much worse. Once I put him away while I was playing and he jumped on my table and threw down my stuff, turning around to look at me in defiance.
PS: I am sure I saw a cage in Chopin's room in a movie about Chopin, probably either Impromptu or A Song to Remember, one of the old ones like this, although it could also have been a documentary film? So I guess it was fiction and he never had a bird? frown

Music is my best friend.

#1984363 - 11/08/12 08:59 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: loveschopintoomuch
Really cute bird, but I don't recall Chopin ever expressing any emotional leanings toward our feathered friends. He did, however, like little white dogs and was also partial to toddlers.

Kathleen

Little white dogs! He had good taste lol. Regarding birds- sometimes lying down listening to his music you can feel as if you are floating/flying so there might be a tenuous bird connection1

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1984365 - 11/08/12 09:01 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I've posted her pic before some time ago, but since you asked....her name is Katie. And Yes, she is a Bichon. She has practically every single trait of her breed, including thinking she is smarter than I. And, at times, she is. shocked

But since I don't quite trust her in the living room where I keep my grand piano, she is relegated outside of this room by means of a child's gate. She is NOT happy about it, and she really lets me know by whining so loud and so long, I have to finally give up to save my sanity. So I have to blame my lack of progress at the keyboard on her. laugh

Katie the cutie! Does she whine and bark to your playing? I had a friend years back whose dog used to howl when her boys played the harmonica LOL.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1984366 - 11/08/12 09:03 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: ChopinAddict]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
My bird also tries to keep me from practicing, so I got used to playing with him on some part of my body, or it can get much worse. Once I put him away while I was playing and he jumped on my table and threw down my stuff, turning around to look at me in defiance.

Naughty bird LOL! Hope he doesn't do his business on your music sheets!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1984385 - 11/08/12 09:47 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: EdwardianPiano]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
My bird also tries to keep me from practicing, so I got used to playing with him on some part of my body, or it can get much worse. Once I put him away while I was playing and he jumped on my table and threw down my stuff, turning around to look at me in defiance.

Naughty bird LOL! Hope he doesn't do his business on your music sheets!

No, but he once chewed the corner of Chopin's Preludes. cry I cried in horror and he flew off (also in horror). eek I don't leave anything around any more. I keep everything in the cabinet. (You can see it in the background in that photo I posted yesterday). smile

Music is my best friend.

#1984397 - 11/08/12 10:21 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: ChopinAddict]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

No, but he once chewed the corner of Chopin's Preludes. cry I cried in horror and he flew off (also in horror). eek I don't leave anything around any more. I keep everything in the cabinet. (You can see it in the background in that photo I posted yesterday). smile

Did he indeed? Maybe it was a sign he likes Chopin!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1984521 - 11/09/12 07:26 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Originally Posted By: Mary-Rose

Did the great Frederic like birds? I have a biography on him but not read it all yet, but I doubt it'd go into that much detail- seems to be mostly about his composing.

"My good friend, I am doing everything possible to work--but it does not progress--and provided that this continues, my new productions will moreover remind you neither of the chirpings of warblers nor even of broken china. I must be resigned."

Chopin to Franchomme, 8 July 1846. The comment about warblers is often thought to allude to the trilled reprise of the B major Nocturne, op. 62 no. 1 (though we don't know this for sure).

Jeff Kallberg

#1984599 - 11/09/12 11:22 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

Jeff: Is there anything you don't know about Chopin or (at least) can't get your hands on really quickly? You have a phenomenal memory.

I am listening to that nocturne as I write this. One can almost float on this lovely melody as EdwardianPiano suggested. But those runs and trills are about the most beautiful, I think, I've heard in any of his music. A very special nocturne because of this.

MaryRose and I both agreed that when we were teenagers, we thought the nocturnes too sticky sweet, but now...WOW! So many have such turbulance in the middle sections. Since Chopin got his idea for the nocturnes from Field, do you know if Field's music followed (more or less) the same pattern?

So happy you are still with us. It's been quite a journey and far from over.

Kathleen

PS EdwardianPiano: No, thank goodness, Katie doesn't howl. But that whining and gruff little barks are more than enough to let me know she is NOT happy.

#1984670 - 11/09/12 02:16 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I am listening to that nocturne as I write this. One can almost float on this lovely melody as EdwardianPiano suggested. But those runs and trills are about the most beautiful, I think, I've heard in any of his music. A very special nocturne because of this.

Ohh the ending...bliss... those trills are so so sopoforic...perfect night time before bed music. Especially by candlelight.
HEAVEN= this nocturne, quality cup coffee, organic quality chocolate, sat by open fire and in candlelight. PERFECTION!!!
I just need the open fire.....

Quote:
MaryRose and I both agreed that when we were teenagers, we thought the nocturnes too sticky sweet, but now...WOW! So many have such turbulance in the middle sections. Since Chopin got his idea for the nocturnes from Field, do you know if Field's music followed (more or less) the same pattern?

Nocturnes- sweetness in them yes in the melodies but never sickly. They have as you mention turbulance, moments of power, grandeur and passion. I think they are the most perfect compositions ever. Since I heard them I have heard good music but nothing that transcends Chopin's nocturnes. They are sublime. I have got a few mp3s of John Field and to my beginner's ears they do sound a similar pattern. I like his music a lot. You can find his music on Amazon.

Quote:
PS EdwardianPiano: No, thank goodness, Katie doesn't howl. But that whining and gruff little barks are more than enough to let me know she is NOT happy.

Is she really that naughty in your piano room?

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/09/12 02:18 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1984702 - 11/09/12 03:51 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: EdwardianPiano]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I agree. Chopin's Nocturnes are just the most beautiful music ever written for me, and they kindled my love for classical music even when I was a little girl. I could listen to them non-stop! 2hearts 3hearts heart
You are right about Field's influence on Chopin. Field did inspire our friend, although of course Fred surpassed him. smile
PS: Thank you for that quote, Jeff! thumb

Music is my best friend.

#1984711 - 11/09/12 04:46 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have many a time listened to the nocturnes non stop! Frederic really knew how to craft sublime melodies.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Page 262 of 275 < 1 2 ... 260 261 262 263 264 ... 274 275 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Merry Christmas from TromboneAl
by TromboneAl
12/20/14 10:26 AM
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Jools Holland wow
by Shey
12/20/14 05:23 AM
Forum Stats
77369 Members
42 Forums
160010 Topics
2349785 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission