Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 17 of 71 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 70 71 >
Topic Options
#1433433 - 05/10/10 08:14 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Les Koltvedt]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Monster, funny! ha I was thinking the same thing of certain items that I was pulling out. Hmmmm, they look smaller now..... Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#1433439 - 05/10/10 08:23 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Is this right? "No Dear, your butt makes those pants look bigger..." smirk
PTG Associate

#1433441 - 05/10/10 08:32 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Les Koltvedt]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Go ahead, tell your spouse that one, I dare ya! Not me! I tell her the opposite. I know what's good for me. grin
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1433613 - 05/10/10 01:47 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Pure Tone Pianos Offline

School concert season is upon us. Today was a Kawai RX-2 (a piano I've tuned a few times before) in a church that is being used for recitals tomorrow night, and 2 middle school uprights for concerts; a Yamaha U3 and an old Kohler and Campbell. (from the 1950s I believe. A bit out of shape for a choir piano, but oh well.) About to mow the lawn.

Edited by Pure Tone Pianos (05/10/10 02:35 PM)
860-515-8663

#1433797 - 05/10/10 05:48 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Pure Tone Pianos]
Bojan Babic Offline

Loc: Vojvodina, Serbia
Today I had an electric installation in my soon to be opened workshop done, so I have to do something with the floor, and bring machines, tools, materials and pianos in by the end of May.

#1433989 - 05/10/10 09:55 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Les Koltvedt]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I took her to dinner on Saturday, made her breakfast Sunday, and did some laundry too! However, I don't do laundry to her satisfaction. You know, fill the washer up first....use the appropriate soap, bleach, softener, ect - heck, I just separate the colors, pile it in, add soap, turn it on, and it seems to work.....

#1434037 - 05/10/10 11:32 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Bob]
Bill Bremmer RPT Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
Today, I just did my normal 4 appointments, Kawai grand, Steinway vertical (no problems, I know what to do), Baldwin grand and finally another Kawai grand. What can I say, I have great customers.

But what I really wanted to say was what I did on Friday that I did not have time to post, I got my new car! I like it, it was the color I wanted and had all the features I wanted. The really amazing things are that I can make and receive cell phone calls without ever letting go of the steering wheel.

Once I get in my new car, the cell phone automatically goes to "blue tooth technology" [whatever that is] that means that I can leave my cellphone in my pocket but take and make calls from my steering wheel!

I can be listening to local radio or Sirius satellite radio but the instant I either want to make or receive a call, the music is canceled. I also have a navigator that tells me where to go and just for fun, I can have it tell me that in Canadian French as I am listening to a Canadian French radio station on my radio. Believe me, this is very important to me!

The car has a moon roof (which is useful on the UW campus for MOONing!) or sun roof, as you may prefer, a 4 speed automatic transmission and turbo charged 4 cylinder engine which gets up to 35 miles per gallon or better. It is silver in color which is nice in any case but also shows the least soil when it is dirty.

It has fog lights, special radial tires for best traction in slippery conditions but also slip control for when that does occur.

Here are a couple of images of it:

http://photos.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_440/car_photo_220355_5.jpg

http://photos2.liquidmotors.com/kd1818/kl9954691/po1/v2/ds184/pic.aspx?1FAHP3GN0AW173863_1_of_15.jpg

#1434050 - 05/10/10 11:53 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Bill Bremmer RPT]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Congrat's Bill! Sounds like a very nice car. Looks pretty sharp too! Heck of a way to get a new car though!

I have to say this... I have a navigator that tells me where to go too.... It's called a wife. Especially when I do laundry like Bob does it. Boy, it's a darn good thing she doesn't read these posts!

I gotta say this too Bill! I just can't resist it. After having to guide you into Grand Rapids last summer, you most certainly do need one of these navigator's gizmo's for sure! Sorry, I couldn't help it, I'm setting here giggling as I type this... I think it's time for bed.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1435452 - 05/12/10 10:38 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan
Had six appointments today...tuned 4, did a service call and sold a partial Dampp Chaser for a Baldwin Acro, and did another call to repair THE biggest crack in an upright block (another Baldwin, console this time) I've ever repaired...it measured 1/2 inch wide in places!!...five stainless bolts later, and about an hour, and it was almost closed up...I'll go back in a week to pull it the rest of the way...

Got home at 8:30pm, threw some food into the pie-hole, and worked another hour in my shop picking shattered plastic elbows off a spinet action with sharp tools.

Then, came into the house and PM's J-Groot about our similar needs to fly the coop and head up north!...and now I'm about to go light a campfire in my fire circle. Its been raining today, but that's no prob. I have a magic way of getting a really big, tall fire. Not sayin' its smart, just sayin' it works.

RPD
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician www.actionpianoservice.com

#1435494 - 05/13/10 12:30 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: RPD]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nice car, Bill. Looks very techno! GPS is great, I have to say. Even though I've lived in this area my whole life, using the GPS makes me not have to think about where I'm going.

I'll be shopping for a new car fairly soon, too--my Saab's edging up to 200k miles! I'll probably wait for hybrid minivans to make it to our shores.

Today I drove up to the top of Montevina Road, a 2000 foot climb I've only ever ridden up on bicycle. Boy, is that sucker narrow and windy in a car! Tuned a mini Kohler and Campbell (Korean version), then drove back down the hill.

Tuned a Schafer by YC that I replaced the brackets on awhile back.

Yesterday I worked on an Old Chang U-3 that has broken several bass strings, including one yesterday--and not during the 20c pitch raise, during the fine tuning. The straw that broke the camel's back.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net

#1436279 - 05/14/10 06:59 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Dave Stahl]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Worked on “tuning” a hand plane, seems to have stability problems…. So while getting the blade razor sharp, I gave myself a paper cut. Go figure.

Have a rescheduled no-show at a church. I had even made a courtesy phone reminder the night before. Go figure. Well I mess up sometimes, too.

#1436299 - 05/14/10 07:50 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: UnrightTooner]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

What happened to Sam anyway?

I tuned 3 homes yesterday. A Wurlitzer console, a Story & Clark grand and another Wurlly. Today, I have a Hundai grand (POS) in a church, a piano in a home that I've not tuned before and a nice Everett grand in another church that my family has tuned (not this piano, the church) since 1946. Dat's it. My 3 a day.

Had my gal come over last night again to make calls for me. She scheduled 24 appointments on Tuesday and Thursday of this week. Thanks to her and me too for returning the calls that come in and emailing back to people including my action jobs, I am now booked through August. grin
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1436362 - 05/14/10 10:01 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT
What happened to Sam anyway?

grin

I was wondering the same thing...

Yesterday, I pitch raised, tuned, and regulated the capstans on a k-25 that had previously been "cared for" by El Cheapo Tooner. What a mess. Fortunately, these pianos can recover from neglect.

Tuned a Kawai RX 6 I hadn't seen for 3 years. 10 c flat across the board.

Tuned a Steinway L in a brand new high school performing arts center. Beautiful place, piano needs help.

Tuned another piano previously serviced by El Cheapo, a Kawai k-3, which hasn't been around long enough to be in the same state of neglect as the k-25 was. Pedal noises, lost motion, case buzz.

Repinned a jack on a Sohmer upright for a local jazz bassist. I told him no charge as long as he comes over to jam with me!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA

#1436487 - 05/14/10 01:12 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Dave Stahl]
alfredo capurso Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sicily - Italy
Hello.

Today, out of curiosity, I had a look at the views rate of PW threads and wow... to my surprise I noticed that one thread is making some 100 or more views per hour.

So I asked myself: is there any control in PW onto the threads views-rate?

Would it be possible to increase that rate artificially?

Would it be fear or honest then making a point of it?

Regards to all, Alfredo Capurso.

Edited by alfredo capurso (05/14/10 01:21 PM)

#1436500 - 05/14/10 01:29 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: alfredo capurso]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Why do you ask? Are there some Topics that you want to artificially increase the rate of???

#1436510 - 05/14/10 01:43 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: UnrightTooner]
alfredo capurso Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Jeff, You made me almost smile, but you can do better.

I'm just wondering about that phenomenon.

#1436512 - 05/14/10 01:52 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: alfredo capurso]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Which phenomenon? The one of smiling? (Maybe that made you show your teeth.)

#1436514 - 05/14/10 01:59 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: UnrightTooner]
alfredo capurso Offline
1000 Post Club Member

wow

Today, out of curiosity, I had a look at the views rate of PW threads and wow... to my surprise I noticed that one thread is making some 100 or more views per hour.

So I asked myself: is there any control in PW onto the threads views-rate?

Would it be possible to increase that rate artificially?

Would it be fear or honest then making a point of it?

Regards to all, Alfredo Capurso.

#1436672 - 05/14/10 06:11 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: alfredo capurso]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I have no idea about the artificial thing. I highly doubt that it would be taking place but, considering the amount of people that are members and the amount of people that are merely lurkers, those that come in and out of probably the same topics perhaps several times throughout the day, including the members, I can see that occurring Alfredo. Some people have no life! Guess we're a member of that group! :-)

Today: Drove 123 miles. Tuned that Hundai grand today man, I hate that piano. Had to remove the action, clean the key bed and lub it, squeaking and creaking. Tighten the pedals, again, and lub those too. That is, after I found someone to open up the church for me because they forgot! Replaced humidifier wicks. Charged $193.

2. Tuned an Ackerman console. Honestly? I've never heard of it before today. What is it? Who makes it? I don't like it. I raised it 1/2 over all but up to 1 full tone in the treble. It was all over the place for the same reasons Dave mentioned. Tuned by an El Cheapo Tooner. I removed the action, tightened the flanges, lubricated the damper rod, man, was it ever noisy! Tightened the pedals, they were loose, wobbling and noisy, re-glued several loose hammer butt heels, removed a few paper clips and a BIG hair pin stuck between the keys. Need to return to regulate action and re-glue back rail cloth from D-3-A-3. Pulled and bunched up there creating problems. Charged $260.

3. Tuned the Everett grand. Replaced humidifier pads. Phew! Finally a decent piano to tune again! Charged $168.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1436750 - 05/14/10 09:23 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

We went to Spaceview park in Titusville to watch the space shuttle launch today. The park is about 10 miles from the launch site. It takes about 30 seconds after launch before we hear the roar and feel the vibrations. Only two more launches left. Here's a pic I took about 25 seconds into the flight:

#1436763 - 05/14/10 09:41 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Bob]
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
Great photo, Bob. My former neighbor, Mike Sarafin, is the senior flight director for the Atlantis flight. Yes, that's right! He's from tiny-little-in-the-middle-of-nowhere Richfield Springs, New York, too.
Richfield Springs, New York

#1436833 - 05/14/10 10:24 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: PianoTech123]
Jim Berna Offline

Loc: Fayette City,PA. 15438

I'm rebuilding a 1905 Austin Pipe Organ, I releathered the chime unit and re-assembled it, after that I tuned a Whitney spinet,What a job and thwen tuned a 1903 Sohmer cabinet grand, What a great old piano!!!!

Jim Berna
Tuner-Technician

#1436856 - 05/14/10 10:52 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Bob]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cool shot, Bob. That must be exciting to witness!

Yes, Jerry, Hyundai grands suck. I think they were made by Sojin or Daewoo. At their best, they aren't very good--and they don't stay at their best for very long! It's easier not to be resentful of junky pianos when one is compensated accordingly. Having three jobs in a day when you have a piano like this is a good thing. I always try to do this kind of piano at the end of the day; it's hard to schedule them between other appointments.

I tuned 3 two-year old Bohemia 132 uprights at a local community college today. During two of them, a lady in one of the practice rooms was playing a classical piece I didn't recognize(I don't think the composer would have recognized it either wink ). It would be generous to say she wasn't a very good pianist. She might as well have been playing a typewriter for all the musicality she displayed.

It would have been fine, except that she was playing the same passage over and over, and she insisted on keeping the door of her piano cubicle opened to share her art with the world. I even asked her very politely if she could close the her room so that I could tune. She did, but she opened it again pretty quickly.

As I was leaving, she asked me if I could tune the piano in room 1203. Pretty damned nervy, if you ask me. I was a bit po'd, but held off on the snarks despite coming up with some really good ones in my head. I told her I already tuned it, and she said "Good. One of the notes sounds really funny." The piano had been wildly out of tune and 30 c flat....

Edited by Dave Stahl (05/15/10 12:00 AM)

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA

#1437015 - 05/15/10 07:00 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Dave Stahl]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Great photo Bob. Have you ever witnessed a night launch? I hear they to sight to behold.
PTG Associate

#1437165 - 05/15/10 11:41 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Les Koltvedt]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Dave,

I wonder if it ever occurred to her the reason the note sounded funny was HER playing? Or, her playing the wrong notes? Ever run into that one? I have. This note doesn't sound right! Play that song for me again. As they hit the note next to it instead of the right one. I said, how about this note, instead of that note? Play it again, I said and use that note. Oh, that sounds better. What happened? But, isn't that the wrong note? I could hardly believe it. I said, um, you ever think of taking up guitar instead? I felt like saying DUUHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! I admit that I did laugh though which they did not find very amusing.

What I find VERY funny too, is listening to some of the opera singers in the practice rooms that sound absolutely horrid! Their voices crackle as they try and reach those high notes, they can't sing in tune and yet, day after day after day, they sing away as if they are in a real opera. I have cracked up laughing to the point of having tears rolling down my cheeks more than once while tuning next door. I just can't help it!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1437406 - 05/15/10 06:20 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Dennis Kelvie Offline

Loc: Caldwell, Idaho
I tuned a Boston studio piano, then waited outside another customer's house in vain. He didn't show up or answer his phone. Phone was likely inside the house although I couldn't hear it for the traffic noise.

Then back to the shop. . .

Oh well. . .

#1437506 - 05/15/10 10:45 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Dennis Kelvie]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dennis Kelvie
I tuned a Boston studio piano, then waited outside another customer's house in vain. He didn't show up or answer his phone. Phone was likely inside the house although I couldn't hear it for the traffic noise.

Then back to the shop. . .

Oh well. . .

Dennis, no-shows really suck! At least you have a shop to retreat to.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA

#1438529 - 05/17/10 06:33 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Dave Stahl]
Bojan Babic Offline

Loc: Vojvodina, Serbia
Today I have tuned a grand in authentic Roman emperors palace from 2nd century, in the city of Sremska Mitrovica, or Sirmium in Latin, where they have an international string competition. It was a very pleasant experience.

#1438642 - 05/17/10 09:47 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Bojan Babic]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Tuned a Yamaha CP-70 by ear today. I couldn't decide which setting on the Low E string sounded less bad. I measured the piano on Tunelab and had one heck of a curve on the bass graph. Tunelab agreed with my equal temperament, but stretched less than I did by ear in the treble. I found an old tuners mute jamming up the key on low E as well. The pins were very tight, and rendering was good. Nice instrument considering it's age.

#1439198 - 05/18/10 06:01 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Bob]
pppat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jakobstad, Finland
Originally Posted By: bob
Tuned a Yamaha CP-70 by ear today. I couldn't decide which setting on the Low E string sounded less bad.

Aah, brings back childhood memories. I owned a CP-80 for several years during my teens, and I tuned it myself. Happy I didn't know about tuning then - the instrument would have driven me nuts! smile

Senior Lecturer (jazz piano, composition, music theory, conducting) @ Novia University of Applied Sciences, Jakobstad, Finland
- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.

Page 17 of 71 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 70 71 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
10/24/14 09:54 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
10/24/14 07:59 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
10/24/14 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Bhm
by Johan B
10/24/14 03:40 PM
Who's Online
113 registered (accordeur, ando, a-z0-9, 36 invisible), 1233 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158482 Topics
2327404 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission