Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 27 of 70 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 69 70 >
Topic Options
#1522702 - 09/25/10 09:09 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
SM Boone Offline

Loc: VA USA
We have major "stink bug" invasion in VA. Yesterday there was one on the AC, and he went inside the AC to warn his lady friend that danger was present. Scooped both into a cup of water,. they clung together furiously, before the potty dump and flush. Titanic, definitely. And focusing on cleaning watching out for critters. Hot tub this afternoon. :0.
Today, another stinker into potty and his mate is still on AC... will get her later. Feels like Noah's Ark.
Have to do concert tuning tomorrow, should be ok. Busy next week

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1523048 - 09/26/10 01:13 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

We have love bugs here. They arrive for two weeks in early summer, and two weeks in early fall. They splat on the front of your car as we drive. They can damage the paint if left on too long, so I wash the front of my car each night.

Sat was a five hour concert prep on a D, then tuned a D, two B's, and an L, then attended the concert which ended about 11pm. The artist asked for a granola bar at intermission. I don't know what was in it, but he he had energy to burn! We certainly got our money's worth!

#1523296 - 09/26/10 09:43 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
I do the same thing Daryl, remove them from my list. All it will take is one time of being rude or sarcastic to myself or to my secretary and they get taken off the call back list.

I went up north this weekend to play at the cottage. The weather SUCKED big time. It was very windy, very rainy and very very cold but, we had a great time regardless!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1523312 - 09/26/10 10:26 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
SM Boone Offline

HOOO, I have an "X" list, that I maintain and update, carry forward... My worst case scenario was a drive of @ hour through torrential down pours and winds on a REALLY bad interstate, and the lady did a "no show", (tho her car was parked in drive_), hmmm, so since I had another scheduled apptmt later, I had to just hang around.... visit various antique malls... have lunch... do said later apptmt. UNBELIEVABLE< the no show lady called later that evening and requested a reschedule.

I said, " I don't think so".

#1523533 - 09/27/10 08:25 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Did what I expect will be a good thing for my 4 year old: I stored the TV in the attic. He attacked me literally tooth and nail. After he got over loosing the fight, we spent a very nice day being very close to each other.

#1524160 - 09/28/10 08:03 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I did what my boss Jerry told me to do yesterday,, I always do, I'm an excellent employee. I tuned 1 Story & Clark console in a home, the older kind that likes to break wires but, none broke for me. Then, I went to a church and tuned a Sohmer grand, a Yamaha C-7 and a Baldwin studio. Then, I did a bunch of office work and billings.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1524328 - 09/28/10 11:55 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
James Carney Offline

Loc: new york city
Yesterday morning I tuned a freshly uncrated Blüthner Model A vertical (it arrived in perfect regulation and sounds amazing) and then it was a pitchraise fest out in the field: A 1919 Baldwin grand that I had to boost about 38-60 cents and a 1973 5'8" Kimball grand that was flat by 80-105 cents from bass to treble! It actually sounded very nice when I was done. (I have a 1957 version of the same grand in my clientele, and I really like this particular Kimball design. The action feels great and the sound is big.) After removing the required 12 screws to pull the action, I also adjusted two backchecks on the Kimball that were too close to (and catching) their hammer tails, sometimes preventing the key from moving at all; both notes would only work sporadically - and the client said that those two notes had been problematic since her parents purchased the piano new! Simply amazing...

Then I taught a new student who wants to learn Brubeck's "Blue Rondo a la Turk" - it's a great composition that I had never played before, which is yet another reason why I love teaching.

Nice day, and no broken strings!

#1525932 - 09/30/10 10:04 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

One customer had a tired Brambach grand and a yappy, tiny, cute hot dog. As I was leaving, I found out why the dog was so crabby. Out came three young cats, about the same size as the dog. The cats began to annoy the dog, and he was unfortunately, outnumbered....poor thing.

#1525959 - 09/30/10 11:03 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
SM Boone Offline

HOOO Bob, I personally HATE Brambachs, but I love kitties & dogs. I actually treated myself to a day off today. YEA! Much needed break. From here to forever, I am slammed.

#1526418 - 10/01/10 06:04 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Did 4 again. Schimmel grand, Cable nelson spinet, 45 +¢ sharp, Everett studio, floated the last two up to 442. Then, tuned a Yamaha C-7 today for a private party jazz concert, invites only.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1526423 - 10/01/10 06:19 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Scheduled a light day today after a particularly grueling week. First tuned a 1960's vintage Wurlitzer console. Raised it 58 cents. Then drove a drive to a gorgeous Steinway B that needed new humidifier pads, Pad Treatment, and some light tuning and voicing. After that, tuned a six year old Yamaha P22. All in all a nicely paced and relaxing day. smile

#1527140 - 10/02/10 10:53 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
An arena concert today, for a geriatric rock band — talkin' 'bout my generation, alas. There was an amazing array of guitars at the concert. I was also amused when after I started tuning in the middle of the arena, and then all of a sudden, the stage moved to one end with me and the piano on it. I had some time between the first tuning and the post-soundcheck touch-up, so I called my wife and we went to the nearby slough and wetlands mitigation area. We saw a bunch of rays flapping around in the water, which was really quite amazing to see. Saw a Zeppelin, but we had seen that before, and no, the band was not the Led version.

#1527933 - 10/04/10 10:01 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

A long posting........Just returned from a week on the Gulf Islands which has become a regular tuning/vacation trip now.

Tuned a couple of Yamaha P2’s..... older ones in the 500,000 series..... A vintage C. Bechstein 6 footer with new string and Renner retrofit on the action rack..... The usual; hammers, shanks, flanges, knuckles.....nice piano....

An older Yamaha U1...then a small Challen grand.....I mean real small...less than 5ft ...tough piano to set the temperament......

Then onto a really nice Kawai product; didn’t grab the model number but 48 inches...about ten years old looked like Kawai’s answer to the Yamaha U1...... a good upright.

A couple of old Canadian uprights; a Bell from the Lesage Co. And a Gourlay, Winters and Leeming tall upright.

Came across an old American upright I have not seen before; this was a 57 inch Farrand, made in Michigan. You know you have a tall piano when you have to get up on your toes to tune middle C....copper bass from the 60’s, the rest was original...great sound in that one......

Then onto the local hotel where I found an older Geo Steck, also a very small grand; tapered round leg with no castor, and a really odd music desk attached to the top flap but the flap is not connected to the top board...?? No hinge there and not even any holes for a hinge......

Came across a Förster 50 inch upright; Czech Republic I believe, agraffes in the bass and treble...looked like a Schwander action or Schwander type...

There was also an English piano to look at; a Barnes and company with the usual obsolete wire sticker action...couldn’t do much there.............

Interesting thing about all of these pianos? Every single one had the identical fundamental error in the temperament. The G below middle C was set sharp of C instead of flat. Then the fifths were set too close, many of them beat less to try to even up the ending F-F octave. It was interesting to observe the very same mistake and then twisting of the temperament. The error was exactly consistent on each instrument.

I also managed to connect with forum member Dara and had my first chance to put a tuning hammer on a Brodman 187(I think the model is)

As this is only the second tuning for this one in 5 months; too early to tell about the tone; the scaling is good and the temperament set easily and quickly; good sound from the bass section, duplex in the treble, nice plate colouring....didn’t pull the action to have a look but those adjustments will come as Dara mentioned some of the hammers are beginning to show alignment variance.

I received an invitation to dine at Dara’s place and I was served a fresh tomato/cucumber salad from his large veggie garden and then a wonderful vegetarian pasta dish he made. Pumpkin pie for dessert.....I think I might have to tune that one more often in the future.....thanks for the hospitality Dara...
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1528120 - 10/04/10 03:16 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: SM Boone]
R Hufford, RPT Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Friday, I left the shop, replaced a broken string on a G3 and subsequently tuned it. From this appointment I when went to a Fine Arts Academy and tuned a Baldwin concert grand piano, then to a local concert hall and tuned a Steinway D which I keep up for them. Afterwards, in a great hurry through traffic to a local university, there to tune on the stage in their recital hall another Steinway D. Finally, a tuning of another Steinway D in the auditorium of the Fort Worth Museum of Modern Art. That is four concert grand in a row, all at differing venues. The only unusual aspect was the fact that they were all scheduled in a row.
Robin Hufford, RPT

#1528236 - 10/04/10 07:32 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Four today. A Young Chang G-185 at a high school, a Steinway M in a private residence, an Acrosonic at a bed & breakfast, and a Steinway D at a college. Nicely paced day. smile

#1528242 - 10/04/10 07:49 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

7 again today. However, I am taking tomorrow OFF. HA HA!

1. Tuned a Kawai KG1D.
2. Tuned a Kawai GE1A
3. Tuned a rebuilt Steinway M. Tunes crummy.
4. Tuned a Kawai GE-1.
5. Tuned a Yamaha C-7.
6. Tuned a Baldwin grand (short memory, already forgot model #)
7. Tuned a crappy little Stark console. grin
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1528269 - 10/04/10 09:07 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
SM Boone Offline

did an evaluation on a 1948 L Steinway, Walnut, perfect condition. Tuned it also... of course. Had art meeting and discussed using old piano wire to make spider webs, butterflies, for a neighborhood ecologically sustainable environment.

#1528937 - 10/05/10 08:20 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

1. Steinway D
2. Story & Clark console
3. Lester spinet. We'll call it "tuned."
4. Yamaha console (70's vintage)
5. Unknown grand (bad rebuilding job, plate and case refinished)
6. Pulled a 2-week old bass string up to pitch.

#1529035 - 10/05/10 10:40 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Nothing!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1529042 - 10/05/10 10:54 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Tuned a 20s Steinway L, bid on a hammer replacement job on it
Replaced 8 key tops on a U-1 Yamaha that had been drumsticked by a two year old.
Pitch raised and tuned a Seiler 208 (6' 10 or so), repinned a hammer center, lubricated clicky repetition springs with MPL 1
Tuned a Schulze-Pollman 125 upright.

It was a good piano day overall.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net

#1529053 - 10/05/10 11:23 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Dave Stahl]
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan
Returned my rental car to Enterprise, and walked next door and wrote out a $1350 check to retrieve my 2005 F150...repairs it needed to the front end bearings, brakes, et al. But, at 140K miles, she's a beaut' and I'll drive her till 300K probably...

Then, 5 appts...tuned a Grinnell grand, stopped in to pull bolts up on a structural repair to a Wurlitzer upright that has (had) a seperated PB, tuned a Yamaha G series grand, did a service call to a police captain who purchased a Baldwin upright for $100, that needed $450 in work...he said yes...then my last appt in Bangor MI to repair and install moisture control into a Estey spinet.

Last thing was a phone call to assist a long time customer with selling her G series Yamaha grand to another client looking for a piano...I do this free of commission as a "put people together" referral...works out well for everybody.

Then, because Jerry Groot takes so many days off, I was able to drive up to Grand Rapids and sneak into his house and take that .06 cents he leaves in his top drawer. That'll teach him.

RPD
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician www.actionpianoservice.com

#1529071 - 10/05/10 11:52 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: RPD]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: RPD

Then, because Jerry Groot takes so many days off, I was able to drive up to Grand Rapids and sneak into his house and take that .06 cents he leaves in his top drawer. That'll teach him.

RPD

Ah ha ha!
Nice one.

#1529228 - 10/06/10 07:47 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
(Yesterday, actually)

Received my first ever tuning lever (Schaff extension lever) with #1, #2 and narrow-walled tip, together with a small assortment of regulating tools, voicing tool, paper punchings and some materials to repair catchers on my old Zimmermann, silk cord, and a few other smalls. Christmas came early this year. (And my wallet is still bruised.)

My thanks to various techs, especially Chuck Behm, for answering all sorts of questions.

Then tested the new hammer, and found to my dismay that most pins in the mid-range and bass on my recently purchased Ibach are quite loose. (I estimate perhaps 10-20 Nm tuning down, perhaps 30 Nm tuning up.) Treble section is better.

Also noticed that the end of the tuning tip facing the string coils has some play, more so on the #2 than the #1 (pins are 0.274", i.e. a smallish #1), so that the other end of the hammer can actually be wiggled towards and away from the pinblock by about 1/8". I hope that this is normal, and not some funny pin shape - or a defect in the tuning tips.

Now considering my options...
Try to raise from -70 to -40 cents and see whether the pins hold, if yes, raise further
If no, wick extra-thin CA between pins and bushings, or
Pound pins deeper, or
Remove pins, swab holes with regular CA, re-insert pins, or
Insert sandpaper shims, or
Re-pin with #2

Not sure whether (and how) one can determine the basic integrity of the pinblock (cracks vs. simply having lost its grip with age), to decide on one or more of the above procedures.

So, a bit disappointed and sad, but wanting to solve the problem!

Any advice welcome... (Tell me if you think I should open a separate thread for this.)

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#1529235 - 10/06/10 07:57 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Mark:

I always feel like the kid singing "The Wells Fargo Wagon" in the musical "Music Man" when I am expecting a package. smile

Yeah, a new Topic would be good, but here's a short answer. If the pins hold the torque that the string is exerting on them, then there is no reason to mess with them for reasons of stability, but there may be for tunability.

#1529256 - 10/06/10 08:27 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

AHA! Caughtcha! SOOOO, that's where that .06¢ went! I was saving that for my next piece of candy! With all of my days off, I need to save up for these things now don'tchaknno? Hmmm, you know? I didn't even know that I had a "sixth ¢-th." ha
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1529286 - 10/06/10 09:11 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: UnrightTooner]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Jeff,

Didn't know that song... Just looked up the lyrics, and saw that there might even a double boiler on the wagon. wink

Right-o, will open a new thread soon. And yes, tunability was difficult with those pins. Just the slightest nudge down, and "it goes", even though all of them are holding current pitch - at least for a night. The tighter pins on my Zimmermann were much easier to "hone in".

#1529303 - 10/06/10 09:36 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Mark:

You haven't ever seen "The Music Man"???? Say it isn't so!

#1529348 - 10/06/10 10:52 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: UnrightTooner]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Jeff, how can I say it isn't so, if it is? Yes, I'm an illiterate barbarian from the Dark Continent. laugh

(And my German friends are just as surprised when they read that I haven't done some of their stuff either, but somehow still manage to live. grin )

But hey, cut me some slack, at least I own two pianos (should count for something in here!), one with a decrepit action, bad strings, cheap hammers but a good pinblock, the other with a good action but an aged cabinet and loose pins - and I've just spent four tuning fees in importing tools from the U.S. of A., only to discover that the piano I wanted to keep may be untunable.

Now, do tell me why I should see The Music Man.

#1529414 - 10/06/10 12:15 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Mark R.]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark R.

Now, do tell me why I should see The Music Man.

For your own edification. Like any good drama, the last scene answers an eternal question that the very entertaining plot only vaguely explores. I won't even mention the question. I do not what to take away any of the enjoyment when you get to watch it. I am sure it is available for rental.

#1529472 - 10/06/10 01:30 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Tuned 4 this morning. Started at 9:30, was done by 11:30. smile Tuned a Steinway M, a Steinway console, man, I hate tuning those Steinway verticals, jumpy, screwed up tuning pins, a Kimblah grand, a Weber console. Replaced a broken plastic "thingy" on the bottom of the sustaining pedal. The plastic piece that goes inside of the pedal rod. Afternoon off. Does this mean that Rick is going to steal from me again? frown
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

Page 27 of 70 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 69 70 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (A Guy, Alex-SapRenovation, accordeur, ajames, 40 invisible), 1726 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75515 Members
42 Forums
156158 Topics
2293225 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
[AMAZING PIANO COMP.] Anyone able to transcribe it from ear?
by Weakky
14 minutes 7 seconds ago
[AMAZING PIANO COMP.] Anyone able to transcribe it from ear?
by Weakky
22 minutes 25 seconds ago
Best Keyboard/Piano 600 light up keys
by barabusm
34 minutes 1 second ago
July Concert Program - Performance Thread
by hreichgott
35 minutes 12 seconds ago
Recommend me a setup for jamming at home
by Gretel
36 minutes 7 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission