Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 48 of 70 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 69 70 >
Topic Options
#1681262 - 05/19/11 11:05 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Dang Jer, you looking to adopt? A really big kid? with tools!
PTG Associate

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1681386 - 05/20/11 04:23 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Glued leather to the catchers of the middle section of my Zimmermann project piano after having removed the old leather (well, what was left) over the weekend. Treble section still to be done.

Noticed that most of the butt plate screws in the bass section were loose. Could this be related to the fact that I heated the bass shanks last week to bend them, and this has removed some moisture from the butts, making the plates loose? The butt plates in the middle and treble sections, while not very tight, weren't nearly as loose as in the bass. The bass hammers were actually wobbling from side to side.

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#1681443 - 05/20/11 08:19 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
No! I already have two really big kids that use all of my tools (steal is more like it) break them, never replace them, never put them back and then I can't find them.!!! smile
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1681444 - 05/20/11 08:19 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Well, off to Greenville. Les knows where that is, don't cha Les???
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1681453 - 05/20/11 08:28 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Well I do now!! I've got non piano related projects today...
PTG Associate

#1681836 - 05/20/11 10:44 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
Tuned a Lindeman upright in a church this morning...great tone! Came home to mow for a bit, and burned up the drive belt on the rider mower before I could even start...grrrr. Headed to a NYSSMA festival to accompany some of the local school students for their vocal solos. Fortunately, I was only in 2 rooms, and played on decent pianos that were in tune (doesn't always happen that they're in tune, or decent). One was a new Story & Clark studio...responsive action, with a plesant, mellow tone. The other piano was a new Yamaha...I didn't have time to check the model, but it seemed taller than a studio, but shorter than a U1...and was a funky dark purplish/brown color...but it was nice to play. Tone was not too bright, not too mellow...worked perfectly for the soloists.

Oh, and I tuned an OK 1950's Kimball spinet (the only one that exists?) in-between accompanying the solos.
Richfield Springs, New York

#1682281 - 05/21/11 07:42 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
SM Boone Offline

Loc: VA USA
hmm, first Saturday with SUUUNNSHINE!!! in VA this year, so I am out in spa reading for 3rd time in my life ,,,( 2nd year on this, mind you.....) "Atlas Shrugged" . I only pleasure read in summer in spa, so figure I will finish it some time next summer. I am totally focused on building tan for beach week with lady friends in less than 3 weeks, Serious tanning needs to happen..

#1682354 - 05/21/11 10:58 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: SM Boone]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: SM Boone
hmm, first Saturday with SUUUNNSHINE!!! in VA this year, so I am out in spa reading for 3rd time in my life ,,,( 2nd year on this, mind you.....) "Atlas Shrugged" . I only pleasure read in summer in spa, so figure I will finish it some time next summer. I am totally focused on building tan for beach week with lady friends in less than 3 weeks, Serious tanning needs to happen..

Yea it seems like it's the first Saturday with sunshine up here as well. (Toronto).
Today I was building a pergola on my back deck and I got a lot of sun. (I'm red but it'll turn brown very quickly).
I can feel the fresh vitamin D surging through my veins as we speak.
I already had a good start on a tan from one particularly nice sunny day over a week ago that I spent in my hammock in my garden

Here the spring has so far been horribly cold with constant rain. My nectarine tree has a bad case of leaf curl caused by a fungus (that loves the cool damp weather) and the humidity for the last few days has not been great for the piano.

All of a sudden I have an intermittent note issue on one often used A#. I could use a tune too but this is a long weekend up here and I wouldn't be able to get my tuner for a while.

The humidity here generally swings from about 20% in the winter to a sauna for a few weeks in the late summer. Today and yesterday its been about 60-65% humidity which can't be good for my Hailun.
I guess I'm going to have to start looking into a Dampp-Chaser for it.
I haven't really thought about one before but I guess I'll start doing the research on how effective they are (I know they seem to be very well liked here).
I never turn on my central air and I like leaving doors and windows open in the summer so I guess a DC would be the way to go.

#1683339 - 05/23/11 09:03 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
SM Boone Offline

Today... I pulled pitch on an M Steinway another quarter tone and now have it where I want it for summer in VA. This baby is sweet! She came in a full tone low after a rebuild 6 years ago and NO follow up tuning, and now is holding her own. Have regulated action also. She will be beautiful and sounds great already. I love her.

#1683341 - 05/23/11 09:10 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sparky McBiff]
SM Boone Offline

ps, in general I hate damp chasers. I have one in a church inside an older Yamaha upright that seems to be effective. But, it could also be that the piano is in an enclosed little alcove that shelters it from extremes.
Damp chasers can wreck a pin block in a heart beat, dry it out too much. So the over-all add water system, people don't do. Those systems on grands are a waste. My opinion.

#1683378 - 05/23/11 10:21 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: SM Boone]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
I hate when Dampp-Chasers are installed incorrectly on pianos belonging to customers who have not been properly educated as to the care and maintenance of them, allowing the tanks to run dry, etc.

I love properly installed Dampp-Chasers in the homes of customers who actually care for them and the instrument they're installed in.

#1686014 - 05/28/11 11:11 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Yesterday, tuned "my three." Tuned a nice Yammie console that I tuned a year ago, was on pitch.. Then, tuned a Wurlitzer spinet, not so nice a piano, kept wanting to drift but, then again, I raised it 1/2 tone to 440. Then tuned a Gulbransen console. Dad tuned it last in 1994. Raised that one 1/2 tone too. No strings broke, that one tuned better....
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1686519 - 05/29/11 11:31 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
A=443 Offline

Loc: Japan
We maintained pianos of a care center facility today.
It's a Volunteer. smile photo

#1686537 - 05/29/11 12:10 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I crammed in 7 on Thursday so I could take a 4 day weekend! What a seven, though...

1. Aeolian spinet, 100 cents flat
2. Weaver spinet, 75 cents flat
3. Wurli console, at pitch
4. Lester spinet, 125 cents flat
5. Kohler & Campbell spinet 85 cents flat
6. Howard spinet, 200 cents flat!
7. Wurlitzer spinet, 85 cents flat

Yes, I came home totally spent!

#1687652 - 05/31/11 09:21 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yesterday I had a HUGE boost to my morale as a beginning technician.

My brother and father visited, and being an avid player, my brother sat down at my Ibach, which is a twin to my parents' Ibach (on which my brother plays almost daily). After playing a while, he complimented me on the evenness of the touch. "Now this is the way the action should feel!" he said to Dad.

This comment, being totally unsolicited, really heartened me, because I spent much effort and time last year to get the touch even, especially to ease and even out the overly tight and inconsistent damper springs.

He then had an impromptu jam session (Around Midnight, Misty, In your own sweet way, etc.), and we exchanged interesting jazz voicings over some red wine.

Having someone else appreciate one's handiwork makes it so much sweeter.

#1688830 - 06/01/11 09:14 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I took a hike in the Orlando Wetlands, and met up with some alligators on one of the berms. There were six gators at first, but three smaller ones got in the water as I approached. The remaining 7' gators showed me some teeth and stayed put. I was going to walk around them on the left, but the far gator was pointed the wrong way.....so, after some yelling and jumping which did nothing, I walked up to the near gator and poked him with a stick (6' camera monopod). That got him to rush into the water, and the other two followed in short order and I was able to continue on my way...........

#1688849 - 06/01/11 09:43 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I still think YOU'RE NUTS BOB!!!!! smile Me run the OTHER way! In fact, me stay home!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1689548 - 06/02/11 09:49 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
SM Boone Offline

yikes Bob!... I've been extremely busy for this time of year, people seem to be piling out to get their pianos tuned... folks who have been absent for years. I guess that's a good sign for economic turnaround.
Me.. I'm headed to beach next week, so.. catch you guys later. SM

#1689616 - 06/02/11 11:42 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Hey, is anyone else having problems with PW in certain areas being larger than your computer screen or, is that just me? If so, what for how come???
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1689617 - 06/02/11 11:44 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Well, my screen is wide enough, even without going to the 27" iMac. But these things get wider if someone posts a wide picture or a URL that is really long.

#1689742 - 06/03/11 07:56 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

My screen is big too. Flat screen 24" I think it is. Still, this thread and that unison's threads are the only two that are doing it. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm huming to myself. Or, is that talking?
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1689816 - 06/03/11 10:37 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan
Yeah, and its not consistent...sometimes its way too big to fit my screen, other times like now its just fine.

Glad its happening to somebody else too! I thought I was shrinking!

RPD
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician www.actionpianoservice.com

#1690109 - 06/03/11 08:10 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Yeah but, there are only a "couple of us" wondering about it Rick. Maybe they have eye ball problems and we don't???
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1690120 - 06/03/11 08:40 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Started off standing an upright back upright so I could tune it after doping yesterday! Pins felt nice and the tuning went smoothly except for a spliced bass string that broke again above the knot (in the new wire). From there, tuned a Yamaha P22 and installed a new string at a church. After that, an old Kranich & Bach grand that I had to pull the action out of, but couldn't because the leg screws were going up through the action...grrr... found the offending leg, put the piano jack under the keybed for support, backed the screws out and pulled the action. Finally, the last tuning; another old upright that tuned up nicely and had a really nice sound!

Made for a nice, busy but paced day. Good way to finish the week!

#1690142 - 06/03/11 09:42 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Me too. Tuned 4 pianos today and drove over 100 miles on top of that! 1 piano, an Ackerman console, I'm not very fond of. Tuned it, raised the hammer rail and regulated lost motion to get more after touch and to get to get the dampers to lift sooner.
The next 3 pianos were a very nice Everett grand, a Yamaha C3 and a Yamaha P202. All out of town so, I charged extra, extra, read all about it! grin
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1690148 - 06/03/11 09:47 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I love C3's!

#1691282 - 06/06/11 09:41 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT
raised the hammer rail and regulated lost motion to get more after touch and to get to get the dampers to lift sooner.

What was the reason for doing this adjustment? Was it an issue with the sound of the piano, or rather the feel of the action?

#1691353 - 06/06/11 12:02 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

The piano still needs more regulation. We're doing little bits at a time as she can afford it. The hammer line was to far back and the dampers were not coming off soon enough with the spoons. They should start to move when the hammer is about 1/2 way to the string. They were barely moving at all before I raised the hammer rail.

Raising the hammer line, brings it to where it belongs in relation to the hammers distance from the strings creating lost motion. Eliminating the lost motion automatically raises up the wippen which engages the damper spoon sooner and it also gives more after touch all at the same time.

Our next step is to level keys, increase the key height a tad which will then also give us a bit more key dip and a little bit more after touch which is still needed. We just barely have enough after touch right now so no hammers are bobbling but, they could easily bobble if played softly. Plus, the let off is more like 3/8" instead of 1/8". Bringing let off back to 1/8" or so, will give less after touch again. So, all in all, by the time we're finished with the key height etc., we should be good to go. thumb
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1691564 - 06/06/11 07:46 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
SM Boone Offline

Hit the spa today, building tan for beach week with my lady friends. Worked really hard last week to be able to take some time off. I'm planning to take my art supplies with me and do some of that. Don't know what the stupid malevolent thing was about, and can't spell it anyway. So.... later!

#1691607 - 06/06/11 09:06 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT
Eliminating the lost motion automatically raises up the wippen which engages the damper spoon sooner and it also gives more after touch all at the same time.

Or, as I've run into before...Raising the hammer line and adjusting captans makes the dampers leak....Probably why the hammer line was set wrong to begin with....spoon adjustment on a spinet......ahhhhhhh......not.........

Page 48 of 70 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 69 70 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (beeboss, 36251, Al LaPorte, Atrys, Asmodeus, 17 invisible), 1167 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153493 Topics
2249226 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
04/16/14 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
04/16/14 01:45 AM
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
04/16/14 01:07 AM
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
04/15/14 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
04/15/14 11:06 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission