Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 49 of 70 < 1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 69 70 >
Topic Options
#1691650 - 06/06/11 10:44 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
That is why I will give the action bolts a turn and move the top of it closer to the strings. That gets the hammers a bit closer without making the dampers lift too soon.

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1694580 - 06/12/11 08:56 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
That's right Bob and BDB. Been there and done that on both of them but, in my case dampers were coming off to late, barely coming off from the strings. I determined this way was the best way for this peeeeanerrr. smile

Just got back from a week of vacation! Loved it but for the CRAPPY weather! It was 100 on Tuesday. Within 24 hours, the temperature had dropped 50 degree's and the wind picked up. Of course, a storm came along with and rain so, we weren't to happy about having that until this morning. But, oh well, it was still nice getting away.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1694597 - 06/12/11 09:20 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
BDB Online   content

The last time I had spoons to regulate, I bent them forward, stuck the action back in the piano and pressed on the damper levers while lifting the wippens, so that the lever would bend the spoons back. Worked real good!

#1694804 - 06/13/11 08:33 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Cast "some bread on the waters" at a tiny warehouse theater. Was hired to tune one petite grand and donated a CA treatment, a bass string rejuvenation and a rough tuning on another petite grand (took about 90 minutes). They are considering having some piano duets, which I would just love to hear, but this second piano was not tunable, until now. I had unsatisfactory results with CA in the past, but may have over done it. It seemed pretty good this time.

#1695734 - 06/14/11 09:59 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Eight minutes and two seconds that really puts things into perspective..... here
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1695943 - 06/15/11 08:48 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
A=443 Offline

Loc: Japan
I tuned a new model's Yamaha piano b113 today.
This piano is made in Indonesia.
smile

#1699260 - 06/21/11 10:57 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
James Carney Offline

Loc: new york city
I am very fortunate to have been so busy over the last year, and yesterday was a great day of field work where my efforts and attention to detail were truly appreciated by the clients; it was my first visit to all four...

First up was a 1928 Steinway L that hadn't been tuned in at least 5 years. All original parts except for a poor quality restringing using the original block about 20 years ago. The bass was about 10 cents flat and most of the tenor and treble was 30 cents sharp, not exactly what I was expecting! But before I could tune it I needed to protek about two dozen hammer flanges - definitely a vertigris problem. The client's parents bought the piano new the year they were married, so she was thrilled to have it working again.

Next was a Bosendorfer 200 that the owner bought new in the mid 80s. He was dejected, and really disappointed in the way the piano was now performing, even though new hammers were hung (on original shanks) last year. The hammer job was very good, although new knuckles would have been nice. The crazy thing, though, is that the tech didn't bother to reregulate, and apparently kept making excuses as to why it was perfect as-is. Hammer blow was about 35mm, key dip was about 12 or 13mm, drop was above letoff. Gee, no wonder why hammers were blocking on soft blows and it sounded like crap. Key bushings are shot and rattling, and the keyframe was also knocking horribly - which took all of 30 seconds to correct. Did some sample regulation to the right specs which astonished the owner, and will be returning for a complete key rebushing, regulation and voicing soon. Also changed out some of the crustiest DC pads I've ever seen and discovered the humidistat was installed 15" away from the humidifier. (That was done by another tech.) Anyway, client was beyond thrilled. He never even knew there were pads in the D.C. As usual, this Bosendorfer tuned beautifully and is one of my favorites in their line. What I still can't figure out is why the tech that replaced the hammers (a well-known and highly esteemed one) would leave a piano in a state like that, create and end up losing an unhappy client, and make excuses rather than do the necessary work to make the instrument function correctly. I was basically floored when the owner revealed his name, so I guess things are not always what they seem, are they?

Then on to a Steinway B, also from the mid 80s that was 40-70 cents sharp. (How many extra pounds of tension is that???) Floated pitch at +8 and quickly realized this piano has likely never been regulated or voiced. It could be so nice with a day or two of work and a Dampp-Chaser installed - we'll see...

Last up was a Steinway S, restrung in the last few years with some seriously gigantic tuning pins in the original block - not my favorite Steinway, but it tuned up pretty well.

#1700395 - 06/23/11 08:28 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Bought a "Sawstop" table saw. Had a close call with the kindergartener the other day. There's some great videos on You-Tube.

#1700430 - 06/23/11 09:38 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: KZ
Originally Posted By: Silverwood Pianos

Eight minutes and two seconds that really puts things into perspective..... here

Thank You very much Sung-Bong .In GOD WE TRUST!

#1703183 - 06/27/11 07:23 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
4 today. First a 74-note Wurlitzer spinet that was pretty close to 440. After that, a Weaver spinet that was a bit low and also had a broken jack spring, leaving a dead, somewhat bouncy key. Got that fixed and tuned. After that, an 1897 Emerson upright with an open face block that's been well-maintained and was pretty close to pitch. Finished with a 1907 Melville Clark ex-player. From one extreme to the other today; fairly modern spinets to old uprights.

#1703188 - 06/27/11 07:31 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I had a fun day today. Active but, enjoyable. My first tuning was a nice Schimmel grand, 6' 8" or so... Tuned for some concert coming up this weekend. My 2nd tuning was an RX 6 that I tune monthly. 3rd piano was a nice 30 year old Schimmel studio that I also tune monthly. Both of these are at the college I service for. While I was there, I had to check a "sticking key" on a Yamaha grand. Turns out that dampers were ringing through. Adjusting and tightening the damper guide rail eliminated most of the problem but I also had to regulate quite a few damper wires to seat properly and align some heads up with the strings. Then, I was off to touch up a few wires on a Steinway B that I had replaced a couple of months back. From there, I went to look at a Hobart Cable console that was "tinny" and left her an estimate for filing hammers, regulation etc. Great day.

Tomorrow, I have a 9 AM tuning, an 11 AM tuning and then we leave for vacation for 2 weeks after which, I attend the Piano Technicians Guild convention so, I won't be around here after tomorrow (maybe Wednesday) for a while!!!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1703191 - 06/27/11 07:39 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Jerry, have a good time, both on vacation and at the convention! Drop us a card from the road! Something like, "The weather is here. Wish you were beautiful." :p

#1703208 - 06/27/11 08:03 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Hah! Thanks Loren! No computer will be coming with me at all so, no access to the internet for me! I'll have to play catch up when I get back to the real world again!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1703212 - 06/27/11 08:03 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
BDB Online   content

I have been terrible sick, but showing improvement today. Battling hiccups!

The city band season begins on the 4th, so I am doing what I can to prepare others for my absense. Season #100!

#1703219 - 06/27/11 08:12 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Oh, that sucks BDB! Hope you feel better soon too!!!!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1703234 - 06/27/11 08:51 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
BDB Online   content

Thanks, Jerry! What has been particularly bad was that I have been trying to prepare the program for print for about a month, and got nothing from the conductor. Now I hear he needs a narrator. We are trying to get the Mayor; it would be ideal for her. Had he responded when I asked for the program, it would have been a slam-dunk. Or if she could not, then we could have gotten someone from TV news. Either way, lots of free publicity!

#1704469 - 06/29/11 05:59 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
dschwoyer Offline

Loc: Williamstown,NJ
Tuned a chickering console.The pitch was a semi-tone low.Another Craigslist special.

#1704511 - 06/29/11 07:30 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: dschwoyer]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Love those Craigs list specials $$$$$$$ thumb

#1704546 - 06/29/11 08:33 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
BDB Online   content

Confirmation! The Honorable Jean Quan, Mayor of Oakland, will read the Gettysburg Address as narrator at the July 4 Oakland Municipal Band concert!

#1706099 - 07/02/11 09:27 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
James Carney Offline

Loc: new york city
Ah, craigslist specials...Why does the client call you after they've already made the deal for a completely horrible craigslist piano, usually a spinet???

Over the last two weeks I was very busy: Tuned two Bosendorfer 200s, a Bosendorfer 214, an Irmler 188, 4 Estonia 190s, an Estonia 168, an Estonia 225 (their beautiful new model) a Steingraeber 205, a Yamaha C2, Kawai RX-2, a Kawai 506N, a Steinway B, L, and S; 2 Steinway Os, pitch-raised a 150 cent flat Schafer & Sons console, pitch-lowered an early 80s Wurlitzer console that was about +40 in the low tenor (with the decorative movable sound "shutters" covered with speaker grille cloth). CA glued and tuned an old Estey grand.

Also tuned a Blüthner Model 1 for a Chris Botti concert (good to see someone making big money playing jazz, and he is a great player...so is his pianist Billy Childs) and a Bosendorfer 225 for a recording studio. (For the brilliant Peter Apfelbaum, who can seemingly play any instrument at the highest level; an amazing composer too.) Reshaped and voiced the hammers on another older Estonia 168.

The humidity in NYC has been brutal this year, although the last few days have been much drier and pleasant - pianos without humidity control have been anywhere from +30 to + 75 cents in certain areas of the piano. Almost every grand I have serviced in the field over the last month needed glide bolt adjustments.

I have the next five days off from servicing pianos - and all I'm gonna do is play my own piano and write some new music.

#1706134 - 07/02/11 11:01 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan
Put long stakes in the garden so my beans will climb. Later, I'll plan to climb the thing and see if the giant does, in fact, have a grand piano.

Looking forward to the weekend...some down time and some shop time. Life is good!

RPD
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician www.actionpianoservice.com

#1706146 - 07/02/11 11:24 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
4000 Post Club Member

Well, it is not always about pianos here. Sometimes I get interesting requests to manufacture or assist with making an unusual project.

A while back a young fellow contacted me a while back seeking assistance with his project of building a shadow box. The box was to be built with side rails to hang earrings on, but he also wanted to have a music box component to this item.

I thought this would be an interesting and fun project to do, so I kept a record of the progress to completion.

The photos are mostly screen shots of a design program. Then there are photos of the coloring and finish. At the end there is a small video sample of the music that this unit will play. I am not a fan of Pachelbel Canon in D @ 415.3Hz but it is pleasant enough…..

One more thing; my shop cat was fascinated by this project and loved the music box when it played. If you watch closely on the left side of the video at 1:25 she hears the music from the garden and comes into the shop to sit and watch the roller in the music box go around. You can see her coming through the doorway….

Shadow Box
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1706187 - 07/02/11 12:56 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Wow Dan that's pretty impressive.
Maybe your cat thinks you're going to fill it with kitty litter. smirk

#1706209 - 07/02/11 01:32 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks Sparky,

The cat; she is a funny one for sure. Either litter pebbles or full of food would be her choice…..

It was a fun kind of project. We had to do the video at the end several times over; I was trying to imitate those PBS educational videos without laughing; some of them came out sounding like Mr. Rogers and are quite hilarious….”hello there friends”….like that…..mistakes in the language and on and on….in one of the videos I state that this is the finished music box and then open the lid with no hinge attached….stuff like that……

I’m gone…gotta get to the courts……..

#1706292 - 07/02/11 04:46 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Dan, nice job...!!!
PTG Associate

#1706325 - 07/02/11 06:17 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan
Nice, Dan!!
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician www.actionpianoservice.com

#1706355 - 07/02/11 07:41 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Worrigee73 Offline

I finnished off some cosmetic work on my 1875 Bremond Organ Music box , as its due to go to Auction in 2 weeks smile

#1706564 - 07/03/11 09:38 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
4000 Post Club Member

Les, Rick,

Thanks for the compliments.
cheers,

#1725259 - 08/02/11 02:41 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Ordered an A-440 fork. The pure 12ths D3-A4 temperament is working pretty good. Don't know if I will continue to use a C-fork for smaller pianos or not. 4:2 octaves and pure 12ths meet in the middle of spinets. No real need to set the temperament within a 12th.

#1725466 - 08/02/11 08:07 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Nice easy day today... I only tuned 3.

1. A KG-5C grand, replaced wicks, tuned to A/440. Pd. $170.

2. Tuned a Yamaha C3 that I did a year ago, beautiful piano. I arrived for our appointment, he forgot. I went home, ate an early lunch, called him, he couldn't apologize enough. I went to my 3rd tuning early, went back and tuned this piano for him. He was so appreciative that I came back today that he gave me $25 extra for "gas" how nice! Pd $175.

3. Tuned a Yamaha grand Model G0. I tuned it last in 2001. It was 1/2 tone flat. Raised it to pitch, tuned up nicely. Cleaned the piano a little bit too. Pd. $180.

smile

Tomorrow, I'm working on a Yamaha C7 action. I'm filing hammers, dismantling the action from the key frame, cleaning and lubricating everything and then I'll be regulating the action on my bench.

Thursday, I'm tuning 2 pianos in the morning and then I'm returning the action in the afternoon at which time I will also tune and voice it. That's a nice job too. It should come out great!

Friday, I'm tuning 3 more pianos then I have a service call and then we're heading up north to the cottages for yet another week of vacation.

I'm so busy now that I'm booked solid all the way through September. I slowly starting to turn my 3 a day schedule into a 4 a day. Won't be long and it'll be 5 a day again which I am desperately trying to avoid! But, we'll see! At least it's great to be busy!

I love this job!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

Page 49 of 70 < 1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 69 70 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (ando, alans, ajames, 41 invisible), 1684 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75599 Members
42 Forums
156306 Topics
2295638 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason & Hamlin BB with Live Performance
by eugene_bb
07/31/14 12:50 PM
Temperament and Western Music Common Intervals
by prout
07/31/14 12:44 PM
P80 for 150
by LarryShone
07/31/14 11:26 AM
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
07/31/14 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
07/31/14 08:03 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission