2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 74 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 73 74
Z
zrtf90 Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Greener
Not sure I am totally getting what you are meaning in the first phrase here.

My first phrase that you quoted, "The first verse is four lines..." or Clementi's first phrase?

My first phrase:
I see this like a sung verse.
Line 1 = M1-4, line 2 = M5-8, line 3 = M9-12 (or two short lines?) and line 4 = M13-16. The end of lines 3 and 4 are modified in the second verse for leading into the B section.

Sidebar: If this were sonata form the end of the first 'verse' would lead into the second subject in D major. If I were composing this I would change M16 from A-B-D-C-B-A to A-B-A-G-F#-E and lead instead to D major probably with a reverse/inverse of M13-14 leading up to the inverse of M41-48.

Clementi's first phrase:
This would be so much easier on a piano but...

Look at the first movement and consider the bars now in 3/8 time and drop the last quaver in each bar (including the upbeat before M1).
M1 is now D (1/4 note) B (1/8 note)
M2 is now G (dotted 1/4)
M3 is now D-D-D (1/8 notes)
M4 is now B (dotted 1/4)

D---B, G, D-D-D, B;
D---B, G, D-D-D, A;

Or play it like the Allegro:

D-D-D, B-G-D, D-D-D, B

Or with the four-note figure:
D-D-D, B-G-D, D-GABG-A

For the second movement replace the paired notes with crotchets:
E-C-G, E-C-G, E-A-D, B-C.

Or add the figure:
E-C-G, E-C-G, E-A-DCBD-C

Or try the figure inverted:
E-C-G, E-C-G, E-A-BCDB-C

Now play the final Allegro M1-4 and replace the four-note figure with a single G (1/8th note):
G-G-G, A-D-C, B---G, A

Now play it like the second movement as above:
G-D-B, G-D-B, G-D-B, G-A.

Are you getting it now?

Richard
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
It took me awhile (was not from a lack of trying) to get this. But, yes I believe I get in now. At first I felt more commonality with these measures to the first movement. My trouble I think, was interpreting and applying everything correctly. Yes, sorry I am a little slow. After re-reading and also previous quote below (to make sure I was on correct movement/measures) I believe I've got it ... I think I've got it ... "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain"

Originally Posted by zrtf90

The first two lines remind me so much of the second movement. Play the first note of each pair in M1-4 of the Allegretto and then the first 8 measures here. Also the rhythm in M41-48 recalls the skipping feel.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Richard, I don't get what you're getting at in your last post. It seems like there are only so many ways to put together notes if you're going to deedle about on basically the notes of a chord, so some similarities are going to happen just because there aren't very many combinatorial possibilities. Even so, I don't even see the similarity between the different sequences of notes you're highlighting.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Z
zrtf90 Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Z
There's more, of course, that I hear but it's so hard when I can't just sit at the piano and play it for you.

These movements belong very much together but it's very difficult to point out the unifying features when you have to massage the notes so much to explain it.

The thing to take away from this is that there's a lot of unity in the work. The three movements belong together. You might have to sit down with some of the elements and work on the first note of each bar, the notes on the beat or some such alteration to hear the main linking ideas and play around with them, improvising and such. You may pick up what the composer didn't intend but it all helps to present the piece in your own interpretation.

Sometimes I feel More familiar with a work when I've tried to re-compose it on my own or in my own way. It also helps me understand what the composer has gone through and mostly see what he probably came up with and rejected. Typically my ideas will be the ones the composer left on the cutting room floor, but still it helps me see.

Richard
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
[...]when you have to massage the notes so much to explain it.

Sounds like Rorschach ink blots to me. I will look/listen closer, though.

You know what this means? It means I'm going to have to go back to the discussions of Clementi 1 and the Haydn and see if I can understand how to find this thematic unity there also, to get practice in this. Rats.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Z
zrtf90 Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Richard, I don't get what you're getting at in your last post. It seems like there are only so many ways to put together notes if you're going to deedle about on basically the notes of a chord, so some similarities are going to happen just because there aren't very many combinatorial possibilities. Even so, I don't even see the similarity between the different sequences of notes you're highlighting.

Do you hear any unity between the three movements?

My notes aren't to manipulate the notes to fit but to help you hear what I'm hearing in them, isolating what are, for me, the unifying characteristics.

What I hear is:
1st Movement:
D---B, G, D-D-D, B = B-G-D

2nd Movement:
E-C-G, E-C-G, E-A-D, B-C = E-C-G, B-C

3rd Movement:
G-G-G, A-D-C, B---G A = G-D-B, G-A

The themes in these three movements are variations on the same skeleton. I hear it. I'm having difficulty conveying what I'm hearing.

Not to worry. It needn't detain us.

Richard
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G

The thing to take away from this is that there's a lot of unity in the work. The three movements belong together. You might have to sit down with some of the elements and work on the first note of each bar, the notes on the beat or some such alteration to hear the main linking ideas and play around with them, improvising and such. You may pick up what the composer didn't intend but it all helps to present the piece in your own interpretation.

Agree. I hear the unity and they work nicely together.

Working through these exercises I have actually needed to play by reading. It helps me immensely of course, to have a clear recollection of how it goes in having listened to it so much.

My experience is that once I become really entrenched in a piece (for me this only comes with playing it) will I start to hear more things/similarities (likely plenty more) come to light.

From what I have gone over so far, this one does not appear like it would be too tough to tackle. And will probably be even better practice for my reading then Bach, where I truly need to go at a snails pace until I memorize it.

Of course, I will need to be selective on the ones I choose, as will never keep up with all of them. But think I will add this one to the list as the Bach is under control now and just bringing it up to presentation standard.

From an analysis stand point, at least for me, I think his one was a good one to do. I did not feel as far out of my element as I had with others. So, feeling good again. Albeit, confidence is not full steam yet.

Is there any more to discuss on this one? Or, is everyone still game to move along?

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I don't hear any particular disunity, but I don't hear anything that ties these together more than just being in the general genre of music deedling about up and down in a fairly conservative harmonic language.

ETA: Greener and Richard, in addition to hearing the unity between the three movements of the Sonatina 2, do you hear these as being different from the Sonatina 1? I have the feeling that if I jumbled up the movements of these six Sonatinas, this type of picking out of notes could find similarities between any two chosen at random.

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 09/20/12 11:37 AM.

Z
zrtf90 Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Sounds like Rorschach ink blots to me.

In a lot of ways, it is. But there is definitely stuff there to hear.

If you spend more time listening to how the composer has manipulated the exposition material in the development section you will have a better chance at hearing 'between the lines' in the other movements.

Even if you don't always hear it, just trying will improve the ability to hear.

Twenty years ago they started producing pictures of what looked like geometric patterns but they had other images concealed within them. Some people could see the other images, others couldn't. I guess this is a similar situation.

Richard
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Oh yes, those. I could never see the pictures.

I'll give this a try, though, looking for patterns and relationships.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Is there any more to discuss on this one? Or, is everyone still game to move along?

I'm game to move along. I'm just going to be playing major catchup on the thematic details stuff from what you've done so far, but no reason to wait up for me on that. I think that's just going to be a long teeth-gnashing project for me.

Shall we do Clementi Sonatina 3? I would like to do all 6 Clementi Sonatinas, for the practice.

Z
zrtf90 Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Z
...Richard, in addition to hearing the unity between the three movements of the Sonatina 2, do you hear these as being different from the Sonatina 1?

I was going to come to that. It's a composers style. Some people profess to be able to distinguish Haydn from Mozart. Others cannot. I'm still unsure. I heard a piece of unfamiliar piano music and couldn't tell if it was Mozart or Beethoven. I was totally flummoxed. I knew all of Beethoven's 32 so I figured it had to be one of Mozart's unfamilar sonatas which would have made it an early one and it just didn't sound early. It turned out to be Clementi. I've been a huge fan of his ever since.

There are some things, such as the four-notes figures we've just been looking at, that will come up again and again, but the way they are handled tends to be unique to the composer/period/style.

The famous Rachmaninov variation 18 on Paganini's caprice features the very four note figure we've just been discussing. I don't think either Paganini or Rachmaninov were inspired by this sonatina! smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg76YTPpgcs&feature=related

Richard
Z
zrtf90 Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Shall we do Clementi Sonatina 3? I would like to do all 6 Clementi Sonatinas, for the practice.

Here we go with the cross-posting!

Yes, let's do all six! smile

Richard
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
laugh

Me neither but I will look again.

I was kind of liking the Rachmaninoff ...OK, here we go ...

Sonatinen No. 3 - Clementi

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G

Two main themes in Exposition M1 - M26:
1.) M1-M12 in C Major
2.) M13-m26 (G Major M13-M16, E Minor M18-M22, G Major M23-M26

Development M27 - M35 Starts in C Major and moves to E Minor at M32.

Recapitulation M36 - M64:
I believe we are starting in G Major this time, moving to E minor at M42 and then to C Major at M47 and for duration.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

I'll give this a try, though, looking for patterns and relationships.

One comment: as I looked at the last few posts, you all might as well be talking about Chinese as music. In other words, I would have to read the whole thread to comment!

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

1.) M1-M12 in C Major

I believe we are starting in G Major this time, moving to E minor at M42 and then to C Major at M47 and for duration.

OH!!! M32 is C minor, but for exactly one measure. Whether you want to call that a key or a very temporary modulation is up to you. wink

I just figured out you are on the THIRD sonata.

M42-M46 are really rather cool, and I don't think you have it yet. I don't want to "crash the party", so I'll just see what you guys come up with. wink

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks, Gary. Actually I was wondering about that. But I figured Eb and Gb was close enough to D# and F# for me. But, had a feeling there wasn't something right about this. Plus, the Ab in the next measure was kind of bothering me, but I dismissed it since it didn't show up any more ... thank goodness.

Z
zrtf90 Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Z
1.) M1-M12 in C Major

M1-12 = first subject in tonic C. Yes.
M13-26 = Second subject in G major. Yes.

E minor in M18-22?
What is happening in the bass/LH? (important for establishing key)
What is happening in RH? (not as important)

Development M27-35. Yes.
M27-30 come from M1-2
M31-32 come from M18-19 and uses Eb suggesting C minor but is simply passing colour.
M33-35 is to re-establish G major.

Why in the recap did he modify M7-12 for M42-48?

Why did he introduce M57-58?

Ah! I see Gary's already here! smile

Richard
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
[quote=Greener]Two main themes in Exposition M1 - M26:
1.) M1-M12 in C Major

Richard, I'm being VERY careful because it looks like everything is going nicely and I do NOT want to crash the party! wink

Page 8 of 74 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 73 74

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission