2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 30 of 106 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 105 106
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hahahaha, sorry Christopher, but, me thinks it's funny. Been there done that to many times. Just last week as a matter of fact.

Today, tuned a Yamaha G-1, nice tuning piano. Tuned a Yamaha C-3, another nice tuning pianos. Came home and worked on an action this afternoon. Now, I'm off for a massage.
mmmmmmm. Hope he doesn't own any needles.....

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I have a couple of fingers that have a really nice, soft tone.. crazy ..just musing that acupuncturists would probably make great voicers.

Went for a four hour bike ride in the hills, tuned a kawai kg3 for a youth symphony concert, and a Kawai GE 1, then called it a day.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Traveling hammers on a S&S A all day (tutored, great stuff), then drove by the concert venue to check on a Yamaha C7 i tuned yesterday in a slightly tweaked EBVT III for the concert tonight (7 pm in Nykarleby, Finland), part of The Music Festival of Korsholm.

Checked on it between rehearsal and concert, didn't have to adjust a single string (!)... very happy about the stability - I'll carry it with me during those string hoovering moments that are bound to come every now and then smile

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Tuned a Yamaha GH1 this morning then returned an action on a P202. Regulated it, leveled keys etc., the typical regulation stuff. After that, ran a service call to a church with sticking keys. Another but older Yamaha GH1. Then, they also wanted it tuned. Well, it most certainly needed it. When I tuned it last, in March, it was 17 % RH. Today, it was a tad higher at 78 degree's and 48 % RH and quite sharp so, I tuned it for them too. Then, spend a couple of hours doing office work. I am now scheduling September 20th. Not so shabby huh?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
Tuned a Yamaha GH1 this morning then returned an action on a P202. Regulated it, leveled keys etc., the typical regulation stuff. After that, ran a service call to a church with sticking keys. Another but older Yamaha GH1. Then, they also wanted it tuned. Well, it most certainly needed it. When I tuned it last, in March, it was 17 % RH. Today, it was a tad higher at 78 degree's and 48 % RH and quite sharp so, I tuned it for them too. Then, spend a couple of hours doing office work. I am now scheduling September 20th. Not so shabby huh?

Not shabby at all Jerry...very cool...shows what hard work, pursuit of excellence and attention to detail for years can do for a business...

RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Rick! I know you're keeping yourself very busy as well!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Stahl

Went for a four hour bike ride in the hills, tuned a kawai kg3 for a youth symphony concert, and a Kawai GE 1, then called it a day.

smile Dave, was it you that ride a scooter for tuning calls? I recall a post some time ago. I just bought a Vespa GTS 250 ie, and if the weather is right, I just put my tool box on the luggage carrier and go tuning in style grin

Last edited by pppat; 06/18/10 10:05 AM.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Came up with a good quip when I was asked what I thought the problem was with a microwave that blew its fuse every time a certain person used it. I replied: "Troubleshooting by coincidence is an act of desperation." I see it happen far too often and lead people down the wrong path.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Came up with a good quip when I was asked what I thought the problem was with a microwave that blew its fuse every time a certain person used it. I replied: "Troubleshooting by coincidence is an act of desperation." I see it happen far too often and lead people down the wrong path.

Couldn't agree more - same scenario with computer configurations. They can drive you mad, and desperate, but you just have to eliminate possible error factors one by one, until you get close enough. Then, to cut time, you might throw in an educated guess or two...

Sporadic errors that tend to stay quiet during the service session will almost always resurface just after you leave. I don't know if this is part of Murphy's law, but if it isn't, it should be!

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pppat

smile Dave, was it you that ride a scooter for tuning calls? I recall a post some time ago. I just bought a Vespa GTS 250 ie, and if the weather is right, I just put my tool box on the luggage carrier and go tuning in style grin

No scooter, just my legs and lungs! The scooter idea does sound pretty good, though!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Today a shop day. Thank God for air conditioning...it shows as 94 degrees outside here in Lawrence MI, but comfortable 78 in the shop. Worked on an old, beautiful upright for a client who can't rebuild it financially, but wants it in her family still...it'll go out next week with minor work....we need the floor space.

No travel today...sandals and shorts...fun for a change.

RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

No scooter, just my legs and lungs! The scooter idea does sound pretty good, though!

smile Ok, then I remembered wrong. But there IS somebody else on the forum scootering their way to their appointments, that I'm sure of, because he posted pictures and all!

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Yesterday I tuned a Walter console. Afterward I had a meeting with the Hailun president/rep Mr. Bas Strmec to discuss the in-store prepping of a pair of Hailun grands.

In the evening, Andre Orobeek and his wife Ying made the 8 hour drive from Desert Hot Springs to visit Jill and I as part of a big road trip he's doing before the national convention. We talked pianos, travel, life, etc. over dinner and a few beers. I took today day off so that we could see a few sights before I sent them off to Dale Erwin's place in Modesto, CA. Then it's off to the great National Parks Yosemite, Zion, and Capitol Reef.

Andre's a really engaging guy, and even though we hadn't previously met other than on e-mail, meeting him was like seeing an old friend again. If you're going to the convention, make sure to check him out!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ok, then I remembered wrong. But there IS somebody else on the forum scootering their way to their appointments, that I'm sure of, because he posted pictures and all!

That's Bob you're thinking about in Orlando Fla!

Today, tuned two pianos this morning. A Gulbransen spinet and a Story & Clark console. This afternoon, returned another action for a Cable Nelson console. Finished up leveling keys, mating hammers and all of that fun stuff. Things went so well that I lowered the price to her by $130. She has a happy camper!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
P
P
Serviced a few pianos for a neighboring town's "Keys for the City" campaign. 20 Pianos are placed at downtown locations for approximately 2 months. It has really brought a sense of community back to the town. Local businesses sponsor each piano and they are decorated by local artists.

[img:left]http://picasaweb.google.com/110642119769387977731/KeysForTheCity1#[/img]

J
J
Someone gave me an old Wilson and Sons Upright Cutdown (they needed the space in their home for other things, I guess.) I tore it apart, took the action out, removed the keys, vacuumed it out (it was filthy.) I found about $4 in loose change in this piano. I turned the action upside down and shook coins, staples and a lot more stuff out of it. It was hilarious!

Tuner/Technician, Associate Member PTG, Certified Installer Piano Life Saver Systems
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Andre's [Andre Orobeek] a really engaging guy, and even though we hadn't previously met other than on e-mail, meeting him was like seeing an old friend again. If you're going to the convention, make sure to check him out!

Thank's for the tip, Dave, I definitely will!

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Had a fun afternoon playing 18 holes of golf on a fairly new local course...and am now enjoying the US Open. Did I mention I like golf?

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
This was "Clean the junk out of the Grand Piano week"....Nothing like a grand with 1/2 a bag of M&M candies in the action and under the plate. You think you got them all, and one still buzzes on the soundboard....Then there was the "paperclip Grand"...same thing, paperclips in the action and under the plate. My telescoping magnet took care of that one, except in the action, where I simply turned it sideways and a box worth of paperclips fell out on the floor.....Then the "caramel dripped on the keys, and ended up on the keybed piano" no wonder the shift didn't work well....and finally two just plain full of dust.

I managed to tune a few between cleanings.

Worked on a guitar and a glass of wine

Dan

Dan (Piano Tinkerer)
Page 30 of 106 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission