Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
158 registered (Almaviva, accordeur, ajames, 36251, A Guy, 44 invisible), 1621 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1971902 - 10/11/12 03:57 PM Change of plans; new budget available €2000-2400 dp
Sandah Offline

Sudden change of plans:

Thank you all for your replies. Change of plans here though. When telling my parents i was about to buy a dp, they decided to help me out. Plus the selling of 2 electric guitars brings my budget around 2000-2400 euros. Tomorrow im going to try out the ca-65 and clp 440/470. I'm stoked!

After reading up on the forum its seems that the majority on the forum thinks the ca-65 is a better deal. If you've tried both, i would like to hear your opinion.

Old post:

Titel: €1000 dp - clp 990/clp 330 action vs px-750?

Hello to all!

Been reading up on this forum for the last month. And decided to make an account and ask you for your advise.

I am a beginning piano player (5 weeks) and currently play on a (very old) kawai digital piano 2000. Which is semi-weighted (feels like a keyboard) and sounds terrible.
I have a budget around €1000 and i want to hook my dp on my pc with ivory 2. So the original sound of the piano is not the main concern. Touch and feel (like a real) piano is!

I currently have an offer for a clp-330 for €900 and a clp-990 for €1000. I looked up the specs of both and the clp-990 seems to have been a flagship in piano-development in 2001. It says it has real wooden keys which is guess must be a plus. I'm wondering how these stack up against the newer piano under a grand, like the new px series?

I know testing them out in real life would be best, but that is kinda difficult for me.
I hope you guys can share some knowlegde with me!

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Sander

Edited by Sandah (10/16/12 11:31 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1971955 - 10/11/12 05:51 PM Re: €1000 dp - clp 990 vs clp 330 vs newest models px-x50 etc. [Re: Sandah]
jhm Offline

Loc: Sweden
The CLP-990 looks really old (didn't find the info on release date) and has a GH action keyboard. The CLP-330 however has got the GH3 keyboard which makes it a no brainer compared to the CLP-990 in my opinion.

My advice would be to try out the CLP-330. If you love it -buy it! If doubtful, try out Rolands and Yamahas new models in that price range (and get a good warranty), and find something that appeals to you sound wise as well as action wise. smile

Originally Posted By: Sandah
Hello to all!

Been reading up on this forum for the last month. And decided to make an account and ask you for your advise.

I am a beginning piano player (5 weeks) and currently play on a (very old) kawai digital piano 2000. Which is semi-weighted (feels like a keyboard) and sounds terrible.
I have a budget around €1000 and i want to hook my dp on my pc with ivory 2. So the original sound of the piano is not the main concern. Touch and feel (like a real) piano is!

I currently have an offer for a clp-330 for €900 and a clp-990 for €1000. I looked up the specs of both and the clp-990 seems to have been a flagship in piano-development in 2001. It says it has real wooden keys which is guess must be a plus. I'm wondering how these stack up against the newer piano under a grand, like the new px series?

I know testing them out in real life would be best, but that is kinda difficult for me.
A hope you guys can share some knowlegde with me!

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Sander

#1971960 - 10/11/12 05:59 PM Re: €1000 dp - clp 990 vs clp 330 vs newest models px-x50 etc. [Re: Sandah]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I think the CLP990 was Yamahas best piano in the CLP line back then, and in most respects it still is today.

Note, though, that it uses floppy disks for storage, instead of a USB stick. If you need to use the storage, floppies rather suck. Also, its connection to a PC is via serial port. Computers generally don't have such ports anymore.

My Clav uses a flash stick instead of floppy. But I don't even use it, so it wouldn't matter to me. Also, my piano has a USB connection. But I don't use it, so it wouldn't matter to me.

If those things don't matter to you, then concentrate on the condition of the piano, especially the keyboard. If it checks out, this would be a good choice.

Still, €1000 ($1600 USD) seems a bit high for an eleven-year-old piano.

#1972244 - 10/12/12 09:49 AM Re: €1000 dp - clp 990 vs clp 330 vs newest models px-x50 etc. [Re: jhm]
Sandah Offline

@jhm the clp-990 is indeed pretty old, they where build as early as 2001. This one is from 2002. I'm not quit sure if it is 'just' a GH-action after reading this: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-i...990/?mode=model
Send a mail to Yamaha if they can clarify this.

If my interpretation is correct it is a different action than the GH. Still, i can now get the CLP-330 for €850 incl. picking it up. Anyone on the forum who has playing experience with the action of the CLP-990 and how it stacks up against GH3 or other actions?

@MacMacMac I have a midi to usb-connector lying here. Is that a disadvantage compared to usb to usb, which is standard nowadays?

Edited by Sandah (10/12/12 09:49 AM)

#1972332 - 10/12/12 02:16 PM Re: €1000 dp - clp 990 vs clp 330 vs newest models px-x50 etc. [Re: Sandah]
Sandah Offline

Hmm, i could also buy a px-750 or px-850 with my budget. How do you guys think that it fares against the clp-330?

#1972573 - 10/13/12 01:20 AM Re: €1000 dp - clp 990 vs clp 330 vs newest models px-x50 etc. [Re: Sandah]
jhm Offline

The Privias could perhaps be compared to Yamahas YDP serie, but not really comparable with Clavinova imho. The only pro you get, is that a new Privia comes with a warranty. I would have picked the CLP-330. I can't help saying it, but for me Casio is still a calculator manufacturer. cool

Hmm, i could also buy a px-750 or px-850 with my budget. How do you guys think that it fares against the clp-330?

#1972598 - 10/13/12 03:56 AM Re: €1000 dp - clp 990 vs clp 330 vs newest models px-x50 etc. [Re: jhm]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: jhm
The Privias could perhaps be compared to Yamahas YDP serie, but not really comparable with Clavinova imho. The only pro you get, is that a new Privia comes with a warranty. I would have picked the CLP-330. I can't help saying it, but for me Casio is still a calculator manufacturer. cool

That's ridiculous, just like saying IKEA make cheap mass produced low quality furniture. Oh, wait ..... smile

#1972728 - 10/13/12 11:11 AM Re: €1000 dp - clp 990 vs clp 330 vs newest models px-x50 etc. [Re: Sandah]
Sandah Offline

Oke your opinions are clear wink
Still not quit sure about the buy of the clp-330. Im reading some good stuff about the kawai cl-36 which is €899 and would be a new piano. Gonna dive a bit deeper in the forums and google search!

#1972744 - 10/13/12 12:08 PM Re: €1000 dp - clp 990/clp 330 action vs px-750? [Re: Sandah]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
The Privias could perhaps be compared to Yamahas YDP serie, but not really comparable with Clavinova imho.

What is the difference between the Yamaha YDPs and the CLPs? To me it's just market segmentation, and the YDP range is perfectly comparable with the Clavinovas - just that the YDP range slightly lags behind the Clavinovas in terms of features, and the Clavinovas are sold exclusively through piano shops.

For me, that would rather indicate that YDPs are preferable - at least in the mid range DP market.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#1972925 - 10/13/12 08:52 PM Re: €1000 dp - clp 990/clp 330 action vs px-750? [Re: toddy]
jhm Offline

The answer to that question is quite simple. The YDP-series are entry level products, the Clavinovas are not.

Originally Posted By: toddy
The Privias could perhaps be compared to Yamahas YDP serie, but not really comparable with Clavinova imho.

What is the difference between the Yamaha YDPs and the CLPs? To me it's just market segmentation, and the YDP range is perfectly comparable with the Clavinovas - just that the YDP range slightly lags behind the Clavinovas in terms of features, and the Clavinovas are sold exclusively through piano shops.

For me, that would rather indicate that YDPs are preferable - at least in the mid range DP market.

#1972927 - 10/13/12 08:57 PM Re: €1000 dp - clp 990 vs clp 330 vs newest models px-x50 etc. [Re: spanishbuddha]
jhm Offline

I gave an expression of my perception and opinion. I didn't claim this to be indisputable facts, so please keep that kind of smart remarks to yourself thank you very much.

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha
Originally Posted By: jhm

That's ridiculous, just like saying IKEA make cheap mass produced low quality furniture. Oh, wait ..... smile

#1974027 - 10/16/12 11:28 AM Re: €1000 dp - clp 990 vs clp 330 vs newest models px-x50 etc. [Re: Sandah]
Sandah Offline

Thank you all for your replies. Change of plans here though. When telling my parents i was about to buy a dp, they decided to help me out. Plus the selling of 2 electric guitars brings my budget around 2000-2400 euros. Tomorrow im going to try out the ca-65 and clp 440/470. I'm stoked!

After reading up on the forum its seems that the majority on the forum thinks the ca-65 is a better deal. If you've tried both, i would like to hear your opinion. smile

#1974068 - 10/16/12 12:32 PM Re: €1000 dp - clp 990 vs clp 330 vs newest models px-x50 etc. [Re: Sandah]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
i have a ca95 and if the ca65 is mine with no soundboard (which essentially it is... apart from some odd bits and slight speaker changes..) then i would go for a ca65. Try them... but my opinion is the speakers,sound generation and keyboard response are all superior on a kawai... though the clp480 is a lovely machine... its essentially a 470 with better speakers.Get your mits on the keyboard actions and you'll feel a difference. None are rubbish so if you really prefer the yam then go with your heart... but i love my kawai.

#1974077 - 10/16/12 01:01 PM Re: €1000 dp - clp 990 vs clp 330 vs newest models px-x50 etc. [Re: Sandah]
Sandah Offline

I don't know if i will be able to tell a difference, and if i do i probably won't know which of the 2 actions is better. Simply because i have only played for 6 weeks now on a semi-weighted old kawai dp (from '88 i believe).

I've learned 'sur le fill' (beautifull song btw) in the last 2 weeks, plus some simple children songs which ill simply try on the dp's. After that it will probably come down to the sound and a gut feeling, i guess.

#1974151 - 10/16/12 04:19 PM Re: €1000 dp - clp 990 vs clp 330 vs newest models px-x50 etc. [Re: Sandah]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK

I've learned 'sur le fill' (beautifull song btw) in the last 2 weeks, plus some simple children songs which ill simply try on the dp's. After that it will probably come down to the sound and a gut feeling, i guess.

OT, Yann Tiersen's Sur le Fil including the middle section speed up and change of tempo is very impressive to learn in two weeks for a beginner.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
21 seconds ago
Digital piano Actions MP11,RD-800,CP4
by oliver123456
12 minutes 18 seconds ago
Baldwin Howard Piano
by Deegs23
14 minutes 39 seconds ago
Don't you just love.....
by D7K
15 minutes 28 seconds ago
This note clicking problem is surely shared with others
by music32
44 minutes 25 seconds ago
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159956 Topics
2349087 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission