Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1983666 - 11/07/12 04:53 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - Raspy metallic sounds? [Re: Jeff Clef]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
It could be true that some frequencies in the bundle of tones you hear as 'raspy,' are frequencies your ears are more sensitive to, and so they bother you more. I forget the technical name this is called, but one backwards-seeming feature of early hearing loss is, not that you hear less well, but that things sound hyper-loud. One way I hear this, is that the tinnitus doesn't sound like a high-pitched tone anymore, but that the notes sound shredded up, and the louder the sound, the more the tone shreds and takes on this very odd quality, as if somebody was turning a mod wheel--- except it's the real AP and the naked ear. And it is known that different frequencies are detected by different parts of the inner ear--- tiny little hairs that stimulate nerve endings; there are many of them, so that 'rasp' could bother some but not all.

The only way you can fix it is, turn down the volume. Sometimes tweaking the EQ settings can get you there. To me, it's a danger sign to stop listening for awhile and let my ears rest.

Jeff,

Sounds like a lot of what you are saying may be true in my case, as I am probably more sensitive to certain frequencies (with the piano tones that sound "raspy") on the CA95. Playing the V-Piano with speakers and a sub woofer does not create these annoying and grating sounds even at louder volume levels.

Lower volume levels are needed on the CA95 plus using the "Mellow 1 & 2" piano presets, and, to alter the "voicing" to mellow. This helps to minimize the fuzzy sounds somewhat and make them bearable to listen to.

Still not sure if the piano doesn't have speaker / soundboard / cabinet vibrations which would add to the murky timbre and fuzziness.

The V-Piano has clarity in its sounds as the CA95 does not.

Also, the EP3 sounds crystal clear... not like the CA95.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1983667 - 11/07/12 05:02 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - Raspy metallic sounds? [Re: pv88]
AshwayGap Offline

Loc: Saddleworth UK

Why don't you just get rid of the CA95 and stick with the V-Piano (which is almost double the price of the Kawai)? You seem to be so unhappy with the CA95 that I cannot understand why you continue with it if the apparent faults bother you so much.

#1983668 - 11/07/12 05:05 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - Raspy metallic sounds? [Re: pv88]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: pv88
Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
It could be true that some frequencies in the bundle of tones you hear as 'raspy,' are frequencies your ears are more sensitive to, and so they bother you more. I forget the technical name this is called, but one backwards-seeming feature of early hearing loss is, not that you hear less well, but that things sound hyper-loud. One way I hear this, is that the tinnitus doesn't sound like a high-pitched tone anymore, but that the notes sound shredded up, and the louder the sound, the more the tone shreds and takes on this very odd quality, as if somebody was turning a mod wheel--- except it's the real AP and the naked ear. And it is known that different frequencies are detected by different parts of the inner ear--- tiny little hairs that stimulate nerve endings; there are many of them, so that 'rasp' could bother some but not all.

The only way you can fix it is, turn down the volume. Sometimes tweaking the EQ settings can get you there. To me, it's a danger sign to stop listening for awhile and let my ears rest.

Jeff,

Sounds like a lot of what you are saying may be true in my case, as I am probably more sensitive to certain frequencies (with the piano tones that sound "raspy") on the CA95. Playing the V-Piano with speakers and a sub woofer does not create these annoying and grating sounds even at louder volume levels.

Lower volume levels are needed on the CA95 plus using the "Mellow 1 & 2" piano presets, and, to alter the "voicing" to mellow. This helps to minimize the fuzzy sounds somewhat and make them bearable to listen to.

Still not sure if the piano doesn't have speaker / soundboard / cabinet vibrations which would add to the murky timbre and fuzziness.

PV,
Remind me again why you are still persisting with the CA95 when you seem to prefer the V-Piano for everything? I'm not being smart here, I honestly don't get it.

#2045109 - 03/08/13 02:54 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - Raspy metallic sounds? [Re: pv88]
Splash Offline

Hi,
I recently bought a Kawai CN-34 and I heard the same as you!!!! Middle D has a metallic sound clearly and G# too. I hear it very well in Concert Grand and it is atenuated in Mellow Grand.

Regards.

#2045155 - 03/08/13 04:02 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - Raspy metallic sounds? [Re: pv88]
emenelton Online   content

I believe the Kawai's all use the same sample set. My ES6 has some of the same characteristics. For solo playing I typically adjust the voicing 1 step harder than normal and the touch 1 step heavier than normal. I like the way the piano sounds and plays through it's internal speakers like that and I don't notice the metallic sound on those few notes at all.

Somtimes when playing with a combo I'll set the voicing back to normal

#2281436 - 05/26/14 08:29 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - Raspy metallic sounds? [Re: pv88]
SomeGuyNamedJayson Offline

Loc: Jackson, Mississippi, USA
It's very interesting coming across this old thread. I've just taken delivery of a Kawai CS10, which is basically a CA95 in a different cabinet, and I've been disappointed to hear the same raspy sounds mentioned by others. I'd been at a loss, but after reading this I believe I might be able to attribute it to my tinnitus.

I'm still not quite sure what to do, though. The only more or less direct competitor to the CS10 is the Roland LX-15e, and I don't know whether I would like it any better or not. Right now, I can alleviate the problem by running Pianoteq 5 or one of my Ivory II pianos through the CS10 sound system, but for the money these instruments cost, I'd like to have one I can just walk up to, turn on, and enjoy (or at least not be irritated by) its default built-in sound. I love how my CS10 looks and feels, and the sound system is great, however. So I'm currently mulling over what to do.

Roland LX-15e | Pianoteq 5 | Ivory II

#2281440 - 05/26/14 08:33 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - Raspy metallic sounds? [Re: pv88]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Jayson, may I suggest giving Kawai America's customer support a call, and explaining the situation. The folks there may be able to suggest settings that you can adjust to reduce this tonal characteristic on some notes.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2281650 - 05/27/14 04:46 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - Raspy metallic sounds? [Re: SomeGuyNamedJayson]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: SomeGuyNamedJayson
...So I'm currently mulling over what to do.

Well...use the Studio Grand, or Jazz presets. They sound very different from the first grand piano sound and have been my preferred sounds since my first Kawai (Mp6). They sound more balanced to me than the default concert grand.

Furthermore , there's lots to tweak with the Virtual Designer , EQ , touch curve settings etc. I would suggest using and adjusting your favorite presets to your liking rather than stick to the first grand preset in default factory mode. I'm sure that will help a lot. As for PT5 over the CA/CS - tried it recently again with PT5 , but every time I come back to the build-in sounds. Works better somehow. You could carefully layer some PT presets with the build-in sounds however to create a more natural and longer sustain. I also tried Roland SN sounds over the CA95 and that worked better than using PT IMHO.

By the way , I shortly tested an HP508 recently , but still prefer the nice wooden action of the Kawai with proper hammer mechanics . The AP sound of the Roland is good. All-in-all , I would stick with the CA10 for a while and test presets and tweak the sound to your liking. Don't forget to turn off the reverb by the way - you don't need it with the soundboard acoustics - it gets more in the way, than it adds.

Cherio, J

#2288877 - 06/12/14 11:26 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - Raspy metallic sounds? [Re: Kawai James]

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Jayson, may I suggest giving Kawai America's customer support a call, and explaining the situation. The folks there may be able to suggest settings that you can adjust to reduce this tonal characteristic on some notes.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks for that suggestion, James. I will have an afternoon off next week, and will see about giving them a call that day, when I can be on the phone with them and at the piano at the same time.

In the meantime, I've been finding that keeping it set to Jazz Grand is working pretty well for me. Though I have to admit, just to see how it would sound, I just bought a used Roland Integra-7 on eBay, so I can see what its SuperNATURAL grand piano sounds like when run through the CS10's sound system. I'd read someone mention that when doing something like that, the touch curve might need to be adjusted. So I'll have to figure out what that means, and how to adjust it appropriately. laugh

If I'm not careful, I'm gonna wind up with enough virtual pianos to use a different one every day of the month.

#2288879 - 06/12/14 11:31 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - Raspy metallic sounds? [Re: JFP]

Originally Posted By: JFP
Originally Posted By: SomeGuyNamedJayson
...So I'm currently mulling over what to do.
Furthermore , there's lots to tweak with the Virtual Designer , EQ , touch curve settings etc. I would suggest using and adjusting your favorite presets to your liking rather than stick to the first grand preset in default factory mode. I'm sure that will help a lot. As for PT5 over the CA/CS - tried it recently again with PT5 , but every time I come back to the build-in sounds. Works better somehow. You could carefully layer some PT presets with the build-in sounds however to create a more natural and longer sustain. I also tried Roland SN sounds over the CA95 and that worked better than using PT IMHO.

Some good ideas in there, JFP. Now that you put it that way, it does seem like one of the major advantages of a digital piano is being able to tweak it to perform the way you like it, rather than just having to accept what it does by default. James had mentioned calling Kawai to and talking with them about it, and I'm going to do that

Also, I like the idea you had about layering the built-in sounds with either Pianoteq or Roland SN. I've ordered a used Integra-7, and when that comes in, I'll be able to give that a try.

#2289559 - 06/14/14 09:24 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - Raspy metallic sounds? [Re: pv88]
Amateur Jerry Offline

Loc: Mokena, Illinois
Has the OP looked at the string resonance or touch settings?

#2289611 - 06/14/14 12:07 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - Raspy metallic sounds? [Re: pv88]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
We'll , it was actually the sound of an FA-08 , but that's basically the same as an Integra.

By the way , I am signing off , of the forum. Enjoyed my time here. Time to move on. All the best !

Cheers, J

#2289617 - 06/14/14 12:20 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - Raspy metallic sounds? [Re: pv88]
lophiomys Online   content

Loc: Austria, EU
Any special reason, that you are leaving after more than 1000 posts?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sight reading problems
by pianosNpreschooler
43 minutes 19 seconds ago
Hello! I have a question about playing for cocktail parties.
by albumblatter
56 minutes 18 seconds ago
Piano Concerto in F, Op. 2 Arensky, Anton
by antony
Today at 02:33 PM
How Much Are Piano Lessons Usually
by Korsario
Today at 01:56 PM
temperament setting in Casio PX-850
by Doritos Flavoured
Today at 01:33 PM
Who's Online
128 registered (accordeur, ajames, 3times2, AEMontoya, 38 invisible), 1488 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157606 Topics
2315025 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission