2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pv88, there are a variety of different piano tones, each with their own character. If you happen to prefer 'Concert Grand 2' over 'Concert Grand', that's fine. You may also wish to use the 'User Memory' feature ('Basic Settings' menu) to store your preferred piano sound so that it is selected automatically when turning the instrument on.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
U
U
pv88, I guess, I recognize, what you are hearing. One note has a very distinct metallic sound. Some other also, but to a lower extend. On an acoustic I would say, that is easily cured by your piano technician. Voicing these tones to a similar level can be easily done.

James, I know you are not a technician, but maybe you could ask your colleagues: Could it be, that on this particular key, the sensor reacts differently and the tone is created with more overtones as it would have been hit harder?

@pv88:
For picky ears, I found pianoteq to be the best customizable piano software available. I like the sound of the new D in the Version 4. And you can customize it on a note by note level. This is not an cheap solution, though, as you need the Pro version for all possibilities.

Pianos and Service - www.martinwidmannklaviere.de
Piano parts and Accessories - www.pianosupply.de
Originally Posted by Upright
Could it be, that on this particular key, the sensor reacts differently and the tone is created with more overtones as it would have been hit harder?

I doubt it. If there was an issue with one of the key's sensors I expect there would be a considerable difference in volume, or possibly the key would not sound at all.

As noted on the first page of this thread, I expect any characteristics heard would also have been present on the original Kawai EX concert grand during recording.[/quote]

Kind regards,
James
x

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
@Stevesie,

I am glad to hear that at least one other person can make out what it is I am hearing, although for me it is far more pronounced, as this may be due to the tinnitus (ringing in the ears) that I have had since childhood.

Listening through headphones seems to minimize the issue, just a bit.

However, I bought the piano to play it using the soundboard.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I listened to the recording. Richard, I think I have a similar tinnitus problem to you - in low ambient noise conditions I have a very high pitched ringing and have had it all my life - it's not got better or worse. I don't think that has anything to do with it.

What I hear is the sound of the Kawai sampling, ie, the original piano is what you are hearing. For what it's worth whilst the resolution or memory size might be greater on the CA-95, this sounds identical to my MP10 - it's clearly the same source piano and I'd put money on it being the same sampling session. It's just the way the Kawai DPs sound.

Originally Posted by EssBrace
...it's clearly the same source piano and I'd put money on it being the same sampling session.

Correct.

James
x

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I can certainly hear a metallic stringy sound, more prominent in some black notes.

A lot of DP's have piano voices with similar metal tones, the Roland SN being another example.

I think it's a personal like or dislike thing. I really don't like the Roland SN when sustained and that put me off purchasing a FP7F. This probably would not be my preference of voice on the 95 but it would suit certain types of music.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by EssBrace
I listened to the recording. Richard, I think I have a similar tinnitus problem to you - in low ambient noise conditions I have a very high pitched ringing and have had it all my life - it's not got better or worse. I don't think that has anything to do with it.

What I hear is the sound of the Kawai sampling, ie, the original piano is what you are hearing. For what it's worth whilst the resolution or memory size might be greater on the CA-95, this sounds identical to my MP10 - it's clearly the same source piano and I'd put money on it being the same sampling session. It's just the way the Kawai DPs sound.

Steve,

Yes, my tinnitus is exactly like what you have mentioned having yourself, as it hasn't really changed one way or the other. It can be more noticeable when things get to be very quiet, so I leave an air purifier running at night in which the fan pretty much masks the ringing to where you don't notice it.

As for the original "Concert Grand" piano sound on the CA95, it just doesn't seem to have the clarity and overall resonance that "Concert Grand 2" does, as it sounds far less defined and not as clear.

With "Concert Grand 2" the highest treble notes are open and spacious, and the mid-range has full tones, along with a more realistic sounding bass. All the other # "2" presets are similar.

S
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
S
Hi pv88,

Honestly, listening to your samples, for my ears it sounds as if you just hit the black keys harder (i.e. faster) than the white keys - and the instrument is responding to this in as it is supposed to.

M
M
It's good we have been provided with an MP3 file in order to be able to make a judgement.
To me there is nothing wrong with this CA95. It is just the way pianos can sound. Through the samples we have to deal with the sound of metal strings. One may not like the sound of a particular piano, but there is nothing wrong.
Now we could start a discussion about shortcomings of my hearing, LOL.
What I mean is: people prefer different piano sounds, so don't worry about your ears.

For me it is just the same what I've heard on the "real" CA95. The sound is not very sterile (perhaps somewhat less so as with some other digital instruments), but couldn't find anything bad. The attack phase is with somewhat airy noise (not metallic), but I think it is only due to the noises from hammer head impact captured by the sampling process.

You can check Your experience with other DP-s online

Would be interesting I think for yourself in the first line, if it is instrument-specific.

Sometimes I get tired from a specific instruments because of its mere sound character - the most so from my old acoustic vertical, it has much different resonances and noises and a quite loud instrument - or from harpsichords sharp overtones.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
pv88, in answer to your question about whether the raspy, metallic quality of the notes which are bothering you, are causing your tinnitus to get worse... I would have to say that it seems doubtful, though I can't say for sure. My understanding of what makes tinnitus worse, or of what exposes us to the danger of hearing impairment, is not the tonal quality of sound, but the combination of the loudness, and the length of time we're exposed to it. There are tables one can look up online--- OSHA has one, for example--- that give these figures, which are intended to be safety guidelines for permissible workplace exposure, for what they consider to be an average person. That mythical "average guy."

My personal experience is, that now that I have some tinnitus, I'm not "average" anymore, and I have less ability to tolerate both the loud dB levels... and the length of time I can listen, before my tinnitus acts up, is a LOT less than the tables say. I've had to stop subscribing to our local solo piano concert series because I just can't take the concert D in the small hall without having my ears buzz for a month. I was not very happy about it, but I wanted to keep on hearing, so... (Well, they do have some concerts in a much bigger hall, and that seems ok... if you're ok with being seated a mile away from Garrick Ohlssen, instead of 30 feet.)

It could be true that some frequencies in the bundle of tones you hear as 'raspy,' are frequencies your ears are more sensitive to, and so they bother you more. I forget the technical name this is called, but one backwards-seeming feature of early hearing loss is, not that you hear less well, but that things sound hyper-loud. One way I hear this, is that the tinnitus doesn't sound like a high-pitched tone anymore, but that the notes sound shredded up, and the louder the sound, the more the tone shreds and takes on this very odd quality, as if somebody was turning a mod wheel--- except it's the real AP and the naked ear. And it is known that different frequencies are detected by different parts of the inner ear--- tiny little hairs that stimulate nerve endings; there are many of them, so that 'rasp' could bother some but not all.

The only way you can fix it is, turn down the volume. Sometimes tweaking the EQ settings can get you there. To me, it's a danger sign to stop listening for awhile and let my ears rest.

30% of all Americans have some degree of hearing impairment. And that tinnitus can be so bad for some people, that they're totally miserable; some have even committed suicide. The audiologists only advice is, "Get used to it; learn to ignore it; try a white noise background to see if that helps; guard your hearing against overloud sounds." And, they can tell you how much hearing loss you have, and in what frequencies (usually the higher ones).

There's so much suffering over this, it would be really great if research could turn up some treatments. When I have a free half-hour, I'll do the look-ups again and post a page with some of the more useful links to information. Many musicians have some difficulties with this (not just keyboardists, and not just old people--- or rockers). The list of drugs that aggravate the ear (ototoxic is the name) given in the Physicians' Desk Reference was an eye-opener for me, and avoiding those drugs is one thing you might be able to do to help yourself. Any doctor or library will have this book, and the list was available online a few years ago. But avoiding the high sound pressure measured in decibels, and shortening the length of exposure time--- that's the kernel of it. I wish there was more to tell.

You're over-kind in describing me as an 'expert.' I'm not a doc or audiologist; I've just done some research which anyone could do, to try to help myself.

Clef

A
A
I think I hear it too, depending on the head phone I use more or less eminent. I think with the cheaper headphone used at the dealer I wouldn't here it at all.
...and hopefully it is the same I here than you. I would me restrain from buying now I know. It is certainly within the sample. To hear the original acoustic would be great for comparison. Wish you that you find a workaround or Kawai will provide an update.

I tried it to hear out with my Sennheiser HD650 - a very HQ headphones.
Did hear nothing.

But I am 54 Ys old. my hearing frequency limit is around 12 kHZ.

Could some of you who are hearing this and percieve it as a problem analyse it perhaps with a high-pass filter? Perhaps some high frequency overtones and/or noises are disturbing you. (I couldn't hear anything, of course)

Or could it be it possible, that what pv88 described as "raspy metallic sound" is the same what I described as "some airy noise in attack"? Attila

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Although I have not been following this thread up until now and just jumped in, I thank you all for some much insight info on hearing impairments that can influence your judgement. I was currently in the same boat / going down a similar path as pv88 , because I hear overtones and such being added to certain note combinations (ES7). Now I wonder very much if it isn't just my hearing that's fooling me and that there is nothing wrong with the amp system (introducing unwanted harmonics ). If anyone's interested in some sound samples , pm me. Then I know for sure if its just me / my ears or if its really in the sound itself.

Interesting thread. I think that when you know for sure it's your own hearing that's introducing certain unwanted sounds, that is bad enough , but it will perhaps let you enjoy the DP more, because you know then its not the instrument that is faulty. Saves a lot of time and frustration...J

P
P
Hi everybody, I have just read through this thread and I understand about the metalic noise you hear,I think it has something to do with the harmonic imaging.I used to have the kawai ex and it had the same sound problem, it was a little to metalic and a little ringy. I now have the es7 and it still has a little bit of the metalic ring to it ,but by eqing it properly ,putting the sound into melow 1 and putting the touch on heavy I can get a very nice sound out of the concert grand one piano which is my favorite. The room accoustics and humidity level of the room also probably factor into the sound comming through the speakers, I also turn the reverb off,if I use reverb I,ll use room. Im kind of a computer idiot and my next task is to figure out how to download the newest fixes for the pedal and the rhtym section loudness.

Hi, pv88, could You check please these two issues with your CA95 and post it under that topic? Thx.
One issue in the topic quoted, one in the answer

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
@pianomike , that's an interesting thought. It could indeed be the way that PHI works and that some harmonics are just a bit exaggerated with certain note combinations and are thus part of the character that the Kawai DP line has in general. Interesting ! of course it will have different effects between HI-XL, PHI and UPHI algorithms , but some of all these "I hear this and that strange harmonics and sounds" may indeed be the Kawai processing just doing its job.

Perhaps James can shine a light on this if that could indeed be the case for many of the phenomenon we experience. Would be a relief and end of search for other causes ...

Than it will be either you like and can live with it , or you don't . J

Last edited by JFP; 11/06/12 03:39 PM.
P
P
JFP, The first Kawai I had was an es-x I misprinted an put ex, Im not sure but I think it was Kawais first electonic digital with harmonic imaging,and I do think thats just the way they sound but the es7 definetly sounds better than the es-x.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
@Temperament,

Please check the thread below as I have given my result (for the CA95) regarding the sustain pedal resonance test, here:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1983548.html#Post1983548

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission