Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1972312 - 10/12/12 01:19 PM Chopin - Mazurka op 63 nr 3
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, Finland

#1972544 - 10/13/12 12:01 AM Re: Chopin - Mazurka op 63 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
It sounds like you are not using very much(too little) pedal.

#1972590 - 10/13/12 03:05 AM Re: Chopin - Mazurka op 63 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
I think it's terrific!! Even though I 'disagree' with a key thing that you're doing, but heck, it's probably impossible not to 'disagree' with some thing that someone's doing who does a 'personal' interpretation, which this clearly is.

I like the fact that you bend the rhythms and that you play with a lilt that seems heartfelt and internalized. But, the bending very often involves playing notes a bit sooner than they "should" be, which bothered me a lot at first, less so as you went along, maybe because you did it less (I think you did!!) or maybe because I got desensitized to it. grin

I think your pedaling is extremely well done. I can understand the above comment about the pedaling and I might well have felt the same thing if not that I've worked on the piece -- in fact, continue working on it, on-and-off, and I find that as I go along, I keep deciding to pedal less and less because I see how much gets swallowed up otherwise. There's so much going on within the music, and I like having a good amount of clarity for it all. But, as a disclaimer, maybe the reason I have the different response than Plover is that at least on my computer, the sound was quite faint. I couldn't get it anywhere near as loud as it really is, and so maybe I'm not judging the pedaling very accurately.

BTW, the very beginning seems to be missing. I didn't start hearing anything till the 2nd beat of the 1st full measure, even though I tried repeatedly.

#1972710 - 10/13/12 10:27 AM Re: Chopin - Mazurka op 63 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

hehe, the problem with recording with a nice portable device is that it's hard to think of a nice and discreet placing for it on stage, where the sound is decent. I didn't have much time to consider this, and decided instead to hand the device to a friend who sat close to the stage - still, as close as at the 2nd row, the sound gets muddled and not clear enough. In any case, I just normalized the files and that's about the best I can do - listen back and see if it's any better, and yes, the upbeat and the first beat of the first full measure are there, too, I promise laugh . I tried using "noise reduction" as well, but it seriously altered the quality of the piano sound. Next time, I'll make sure to have the microphone on stage instead wink

Thanks Mark for the detailed comments. Yes, the bending of rhythms is very much like you described - on the exaggerated side in the beginning, getting less extreme as the piece went on. I've listened to a decent amount of performances of this, finding it interesting that there's such a variety of interpretations to basic issues of tempo, pedaling, articulation etc in such a tiny piece! Kapell emphasizes the sad, wistful singing quality of the piece (the kujawiak aspect, one could say) while Rachmaninoff almost makes it playful, with the lightly detached left hand chords and rhythmic alternations in the melody (he's not always doing what Chopin wrote). Sokolov is a completely different case - while his playing is beautiful and articulate as always (take note of the exquisite trilling somewhere in the beginning), one wonders if he would be able to justify his tempo choice as being anything near an actual "Allegretto", or if someone unexposed to the piece previously would guess that it is in fact a Mazurka... My own leanings with this gem are somewhere inbetween Kapell and Rachmaninoff I suppose, and I might perhaps justify some exaggerations in rhythm with an attempt at a more vocal style of playing smile Note that it usually happens after a long (and high) note, followed by a sequence of smaller note-values. Having played a note, there's pretty much nothing we pianists can do about it - but playing with agogics we surely can do!

In any case, thanks both of you for the remarks! In the future, I'd love to do a whole Mazurka concert, including works in the genre by Chopin, Szymanowski and Maciejewski...let's see if there'll ever be time for it smile

#1977123 - 10/22/12 01:44 PM Re: Chopin - Mazurka op 63 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I love it--I think the spare pedaling gives it a sparkling quality.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#1977127 - 10/22/12 01:54 PM Re: Chopin - Mazurka op 63 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
Mark_C Offline

Fnork: Only now just noticed your reply!

I've heard the Rachmaninoff and Sokolov recordings and had exactly the same reactions as you.

Originally Posted By: fnork
....In the future, I'd love to do a whole Mazurka concert, including works in the genre by Chopin, Szymanowski and Maciejewski...let's see if there'll ever be time for it smile

Could be great!

#1977892 - 10/24/12 07:50 AM Re: Chopin - Mazurka op 63 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

it's a nice idea I think smile I'm trying to figure out if there are any other mazurka composers worthy of attention? I'm not too fond of Scriabin's efforts...Apparently, Thomas Ades has been writing a bunch recently and has been performing them himself - have to check that out.

#1977927 - 10/24/12 09:22 AM Re: Chopin - Mazurka op 63 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

fnork, Alexandre Tansman has written some elegant and wonderful Mazurkas -- most of which he calls "Mazurkas", but also a few of his "Intermezzi" which are in fact mazurka-like. Highly recommended!

#1978017 - 10/24/12 12:52 PM Re: Chopin - Mazurka op 63 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: fnork
....I'm not too fond of Scriabin's efforts.

I played one of them (Impromptu a la Mazur) at the Cliburn amateur competition and it went over quite well.
Maybe check it out.
Rather than a link to my performance ha how about Sofronitsky.

#1978086 - 10/24/12 03:48 PM Re: Chopin - Mazurka op 63 nr 3 [Re: fnork]
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

pretty neat, but nowhere near Szymanowski's or Chopin's contributions to the genre, IMO!

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Heading to the junk pile...
by Emmery
23 minutes 54 seconds ago
Piano make
by ali123
Today at 06:24 PM
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
Today at 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Who's Online
132 registered (36251, Alan_Dublin, A Guy, alfredo capurso, 39 invisible), 1359 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76656 Members
42 Forums
158494 Topics
2327613 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission