Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1971000 - 10/09/12 08:35 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: SCCDoug]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: SCCDoug
Hi Carey

I realize you are a choral conductor and would have your own opinions, but as a singer and choral enthusiast I recommend a brighter piano, or at least one with strong fundamentals. Having clear accompaniment is so helpful, especially with repertoire with more challenging tonality (say Elgar for example) where being able to pull a note into your head from the piano bass line three measures before in order to hit a clean entrance is a requirement. What sounds beautifully rich and mellow to the audience can be a bit of a muddy mess to the singer. For me, I would lean towards a Yamaha depending on how the instrument is going to be used.

Good luck to you. I must confess that our family has pretty much given up on church choirs as it seems much more likely to find decent classical repertoire with a good community chorus these days. But, I digress . . .

Thanks for the input Doug !!! Fortunately our church choir still does traditional repertoire (Tallis, Palestrina, Bach, Byrd, Mozart, Stanford, Bruckner, Howells, Franck, Faure, Vaughan-Williams, Holst, etc.) but we primarily use the organ for accompaniment, unless, of course, the organist happens to be ill on a certain Sunday.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1971003 - 10/09/12 08:43 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: carey]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Just to bring closure to this thread......my tech inspected the 1995 Baldwin SF-10 and gave it an excellent bill of health - so we've decided to purchase it and spend some extra bucks to remove the existing player system and restore the piano to its "pre-player" configuration. I have folks lined up who have a good track record doing this type of thing and I'm very optimistic that the piano is ultimately going to work quite well for us. Of course, the adventure isn't over quite yet.......

#1971005 - 10/09/12 08:54 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: carey]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Best of luck!

#1971772 - 10/11/12 11:14 AM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: carey]
Glenn Grafton Offline

Loc: Souderton PA
Personally I'd go with the Kawai RX6. The age of the Yamaha would be a concern to me.

The Kawai is fairly new and has the balance of the new 10 year warranty. It also has the Millenium III action which is more responsive on soft play and has faster repetition than a traditional wood action.

In my experience at our store the Korean brands do not hold up as well over the years.
877-GRAFTON (877-472-3866)
Remove "nospam" in email address.
glenn@nospamgraftonpiano.com

Grafton Piano Home Page

#1971797 - 10/11/12 12:31 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: carey]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: carey

Kohler and Campbell Millennium KFM-700s - 7 foot - built 2001 - one owner - home use - lightly played - pristine condition - responsive action (Renner action parts and hammers) - two year warranty.

Kawai RX6 - 7 foot - built 2006 - one owner - home use - excellent condition - millennium action - warm even tone - original transferable warranty.

Albert Weber AW208 - 7 foot - NEW - powerful bright tone - strong bass - responsive action (Renner action parts and hammers)- full 10 year warranty.

Carey,

Based on experience I would limit your choices to these instruments. I would further say that the Kawai might be my first choice, depending on the instrument, followed closely by the A. Weber.

Definitely have the final choice (and maybe your runner up) examined by an independent tech.

I know you've gotten lots of responses so far, but more information couldn't be a bad thing. smile Keep us posted as to your progress please.

Happy piano to your church!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1971842 - 10/11/12 02:23 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: carey]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Congrats on the SF10. That's pretty awesome.

#1971912 - 10/11/12 04:22 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Glenn Grafton]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Glenn Grafton
Personally I'd go with the Kawai RX6. The age of the Yamaha would be a concern to me.

The Kawai is fairly new and has the balance of the new 10 year warranty. It also has the Millenium III action which is more responsive on soft play and has faster repetition than a traditional wood action.

In my experience at our store the Korean brands do not hold up as well over the years.

Glenn - The 1995 Baldwin was half the cost of the 2006 Kawai. We could afford the Baldwin - but couldn't come close to the asking price for the Kawai. The Renner action in the Baldwin isn't all that shabby either - even though I like the Millenium III action as well. And yes - we ruled out the Korean pianos due to concerns about how well they'd hold up in the church setting - and the Yamaha because it was just too darn old.

#1971914 - 10/11/12 04:24 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: gnuboi]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gnuboi
Congrats on the SF10. That's pretty awesome.

Thanks - we're pretty excited about it !!!!

#1971923 - 10/11/12 04:47 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: carey]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Carey,

That Baldwin will sound great! - Congratulations

It will be enjoyed by your congregation for many years to come.

Great job as the search committee!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1972034 - 10/11/12 08:31 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: carey]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Congratulations! I'm sure this will be a great piano for your church!
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#1972211 - 10/12/12 07:52 AM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: carey]
FormerlyFlute Offline

Loc: Maryland
Good you decided against a small piano. I recently attended a concert in a medium size church with a pretty small Kawai grand around 5'6", I'd estimate. The pianist played the Grieg concerto with a community orchestra and even though I was 3 rows back, I could barely hear the piano.

#1972216 - 10/12/12 08:05 AM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: carey]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
Every piano I chose has been disagreed with the posters.. Maybe you can find a used Baldwin.. they are so fundamentally sound and stable usually.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1972217 - 10/12/12 08:06 AM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: carey]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
Oh my gosh.. i just finished reading the end of your thread. A SF10 would be my first choice. you done good!

fantastic!!!!!

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1972358 - 10/12/12 03:20 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: carey]
Glenn Grafton Offline

Loc: Souderton PA
Originally Posted By: carey

Glenn - The 1995 Baldwin was half the cost of the 2006 Kawai. We could afford the Baldwin - but couldn't come close to the asking price for the Kawai. The Renner action in the Baldwin isn't all that shabby either - even though I like the Millenium III action as well. And yes - we ruled out the Korean pianos due to concerns about how well they'd hold up in the church setting - and the Yamaha because it was just too darn old.

Carey,
I missed seeing the discussion of the Baldwin later in the thread. Knowing your budget and choices you made a fine choice. I evaluated a 1965 Baldwin 9' D last year, while it was beat on the outside still has many years of use in it before a rebuild is needed.
877-GRAFTON (877-472-3866)
Remove "nospam" in email address.
glenn@nospamgraftonpiano.com

Grafton Piano Home Page

#1972537 - 10/12/12 11:47 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: carey]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Marty - JDW - FormerlyFlute - Apple - Glenn -

Thanks for the affirmation !! I will meet the movers on Monday afternoon to pick the Baldwin up. It will go to the rebuilder for removal of the player system, replacement of the wood sections that were removed from the keybed and action assembly when the system was originally installed, and reconfiguration of the pedal trapwork. To do this work the piano lid and action assembly must be removed and the piano turned upside down. Arghh !! We will then move the piano to the church for tuning and major regulation !! In the meantime we're ordering an artist bench, padded piano cover, and piano dolly. Hopefully everything will come together in about three weeks. I'm hoping the church will be able to get a good 15-20 years out of the instrument - and I'm looking forward to playing it myself !!! grin

#1972545 - 10/13/12 12:05 AM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: carey]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Hi carey, I've been following your journey and I'm excited for you! I bet the Baldwin will be great after all the work is done. We'd love to see photos (before and after). And of course, a recording or two!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (barbaram, a-z0-9, AndrewJCW, barmassimo, AZNpiano, 18 invisible), 1327 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156219 Topics
2294265 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
Yesterday at 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
Yesterday at 07:12 PM
Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission