Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1972379 - 10/12/12 04:24 PM Accompanying for dance/ballet school
BethH Offline

Loc: WI
I can across an ad for accompanying at dance/ballet school. They will train you for what they want done in classes (classes are mostly for kids).

Any ideas if the pay for something like this is likely to be what one normally receives for accompanying? Or much less of a rate? Just curious. I thought I'd check it out anyway, but would prefer to know if the pay is roughly competitive with accompanying musicians for recitals, etc.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1972527 - 10/12/12 11:22 PM Re: Accompanying for dance/ballet school [Re: BethH]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
my former teacher did that, and it is considered accompanying job as i remember he mentioned, but i don't know how much he get paid for it. he majored in both solo and collaborate piano btw.

#1972546 - 10/13/12 12:07 AM Re: Accompanying for dance/ballet school [Re: BethH]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Accompanying dance/ballet tends to pay a bit less because pianists are expected to be able to read/improvise everything (meaning they don't have to practice nearly as much as accompanying a solo performance.)

Regardless, you should ask up front what the compensation is and be prepared to negotiate. If they come at you with something like $10/hour, you could counter with $15 (if you want), or simply say that it's not enough. Or if they ask you how much you charge, just pick a number ($25/hr? $30/hr?) and go from there.

There are two things at play - how much money you need to make a living and how much money they have for accompanying in their budget.

I accompanied dance for a while. I accepted a fairly low rate ($18/hour) for two reasons - first, I had no dance experience and second, the classes were during the day when I didn't have any other work scheduled.

After about a year, I got the hang of it and was having to turn down other accompanying work because I was getting more established. I asked for a raise. They offered me $19/hour so I quit. I was getting asked to accompany voice lessons, which I do for $40/hour, so I could make the same money in half the time.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1972552 - 10/13/12 12:31 AM Re: Accompanying for dance/ballet school [Re: BethH]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Kreisler, your $40 pay for an hour voice lesson: is that money coming out of the singer's pocket, or out of the voice teacher's pocket?

That sounds remarkably high, so I'm guessing it's just for the occasional special lesson?

Edited by Peter K. Mose (10/13/12 12:32 AM)

#1972555 - 10/13/12 12:46 AM Re: Accompanying for dance/ballet school [Re: BethH]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
I never knew the meaning of the word BOREDOM until I accompanied some ballet classes shortly after I graduated from uni. I hated every moment of it (bad pay too), but more than that I hated the attitude of many (not all) of those silly prima donna dancers. They were nasty, pompous, sexually predatory, and generally condescending.

To this day, I have never felt comfortable attending any ballet production, though I do love the music sans dancing.

#1972572 - 10/13/12 01:20 AM Re: Accompanying for dance/ballet school [Re: BethH]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
The lessons are just half-hour, so $20 per lesson, paid by the student.

My accompanying rate is on the high end, but I keep the same rate for all things - master classes and recitals are all the same rate, $40 per hour. A full recital usually involves 5-6 hours total work, so around $200-240, which seems reasonable.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1972717 - 10/13/12 10:34 AM Re: Accompanying for dance/ballet school [Re: BethH]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Agerichfan is raising pertinent issues. Playing for ballet school classes injects you into a culture you might dislike, and one in which you will quite possibly be treated badly, and paid poorly.

However, if you get the hang of playing for ballet classes, there's paid work always awaiting you. You might also get lucky and find an indy dance school where the teacher actually respects and enjoys what you do.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
125 registered (adanepst, 36251, Almaviva, 36 invisible), 1371 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153496 Topics
2249266 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
Today at 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
Today at 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
Today at 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
Today at 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
Today at 01:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission