Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1971732 - 10/11/12 09:31 AM Any advise on how to best practise wrist stacatto?
nleric Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi,
as part of grade 5, I have to C Major in thirds, beginning on notes C and E, using second and fourth fingers, hands seperately only, any advise on how best to relax the arm etc?
Thanks,
Noel

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1971871 - 10/11/12 03:07 PM Re: Any advise on how to best practise wrist stacatto? [Re: nleric]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Don't think of it as your wrist flexing.. if you do, you may actually isolate and tense your forearm in order to actively move your wrist. It's a joint.. it will move on its own as the fulcrum in your arm rotates. Up with momentum, down with gravity. For starters, just focus on your two fingers hitting the notes. If you're completely relaxed and playing this moderately loud, you will feel it reverb all the way up to your shoulder. (That's not to say you'll feel the shock of impact. What I mean is that your entire arm will move.)

#1971924 - 10/11/12 04:47 PM Re: Any advise on how to best practise wrist stacatto? [Re: nleric]
nleric Offline

Loc: Ireland
That is exactly what was happening to me , thanks for the advise

#1972025 - 10/11/12 07:54 PM Re: Any advise on how to best practise wrist stacatto? [Re: nleric]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Derulux -- would you give this same advice for practicing staccato octaves?

#1972566 - 10/13/12 01:09 AM Re: Any advise on how to best practise wrist stacatto? [Re: nleric]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Absolutely. When your arm tenses during octaves, there are really only three major culprits:

1. A "too active" wrist, meaning you're isolating and trying to play octaves by literally lifting your wrist(hand) up and down for each octave.

2. A "non-active" wrist, meaning you're isolating and trying to play octaves with just forearm pounding strength (your wrist doesn't move at all).

3. A "finger stretch" issue, where you're firming up your hand too tightly to maintain the "stretch" between your fingers in order to pay the octaves. You're trying to "freeze" the position in your hand, instead of trusting it to hit the octave span.

All three of these are tension issues. All three create fatigue, and all three slow you down. Tension stops you from playing appropriate dynamics and appropriate durations of notes/passages. If you know what the passage needs to do, and can't get it there, start with tension issues.. which means, start with how your hand/arm is moving to and from each of the notes, because that ultimately determines how you play and release that particular note/series of notes.

#1972738 - 10/13/12 11:51 AM Re: Any advise on how to best practise wrist stacatto? [Re: nleric]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh goody, I do all three of those things grin.

When I play fast octaves (say a detached octave scale), my natural tendency is to play with very small forearm movements, and my wrist completely seizes up.

Then when my teacher points out the stiff wrist, I concentrate too much on moving from the wrist, which creates a stiff forearm. I can't win!

And I definitely have the third issue as well. This one may be partly because I just haven't played a lot of rep with octaves, so there's still some uncertainty. I feel like this issue will be the easiest one for me to overcome.

#1972746 - 10/13/12 12:12 PM Re: Any advise on how to best practise wrist stacatto? [Re: nleric]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Yeah, it's definitely a unique problem to overcome. I've found that quite a few pianists fall into one of two categories: fast fingers or fast octaves, but almost never both. Not sure if it's because of the way they develop technique or what, but it certainly seems to be an interesting study.

I learned a lot of ragtime, particularly Scott Joplin, early on in my piano playing career, and I developed a real knack for the stride bass. So, octaves and leaps come very naturally and easily for me. But as you know, I didn't spend any time on Bach, and hardly any on Handel, Mozart or any other classical composer until very recently. So, the fingers suffered for many years.

When we talked about Rachmaninoff, I had a feeling at least one of them was the case, and was leaning towards #3. It seems to be very common, especially for pianists who aren't sure of octaves. I see it all the time when I watch people play. One way to start combatting it would be to play octave scales (or anything with octaves), and inbetween every octave, completely relax your hand. Will be slow practice for a while, but your hand will learn what it's supposed to do pretty quickly. smile

#1972863 - 10/13/12 05:50 PM Re: Any advise on how to best practise wrist stacatto? [Re: Derulux]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derulux

One way to start combatting it would be to play octave scales (or anything with octaves), and inbetween every octave, completely relax your hand. Will be slow practice for a while, but your hand will learn what it's supposed to do pretty quickly. smile

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
Today at 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
Today at 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
Today at 02:54 AM
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:13 AM
Pianos of Downton Abbey
by Almaviva
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Who's Online
57 registered (bennevis, arX, beeboss, angga888, Beemer, 13 invisible), 1078 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158436 Topics
2326673 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission