2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
I'm a novice piano player btw and I'm new here so hi smile

Is there anything like this that pianists shouldn't do?
Something like, gripping too much or carrying heavy objects(Is it bad?). Or what other things? Also, is cracking finger joints bad?

Edit: It's just that i've been doing these things and i hope i'm ok

I asked because I feel weird with my ring finger or it's joint between the palm or i cannot tell exactly. About the carrying part i already know its kinda bad because after carrying something heavy my fingers feel weird and it involuntarily curls (or twitch)? frown

Next year... I'm gonna have an acoustic piano next year!!! :))
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'd avoid trying to punch holes in walls.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I'd avoid trying to punch holes in walls.

If only for the sake of the sheet rock!

I would add that some of the worst things you can do are repetitive things. Holding a phone in your hand for five hours a day is a small tension, but combined with other activities, can lead to excessive fatigue, inflammation, and if not treated, injury.

One of the absolute worst activities, ironically, is typing on a keyboard. Especially if you rest your wrists on anything while typing.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by NGM_Virtuoso
I'm a novice piano player btw and I'm new here so hi smile

Is there anything like this that pianists shouldn't do?
Something like, gripping too much or carrying heavy objects(Is it bad?). Or what other things? Also, is cracking finger joints bad?

Edit: It's just that i've been doing these things and i hope i'm ok smirk

I asked because I feel weird with my ring finger or it's joint between the palm or i cannot tell exactly. About the carrying part i already know its kinda bad because after carrying something heavy my fingers feel weird and it involuntarily curls (or twitch)? frown

I lift heavy weights 4x a week for often about 2 hours per day, without the use of gloves or straps which, in turn, results in the consistent formation of calluses on the undersides of fingers/wrists. I've also been known to abuse the ability to crack nearly every joint in my body (toes, knees, neck, etc.), all ten fingers included. What is the only thing that ever makes my fingers/wrists/arms hurt at and/or away from the piano? Improperly spent time at the piano.

In piano study, you have two major components at play, technique development (physical) and musical [theory] development (mental and neurologically tied to physical). How to most carefully utilize your two hands at the piano follows under the former category, though also to some extent under the latter. While the topic is exceedingly broad for each subdivision of technique, the rule of thumb you want to use is "Do I feel pain/tension?" If the answer is yes, you're likely too tense and need to approach the problem slowly and without tension (if not in just an entirely different way) and then gradually speed up. For individual technical concerns (just saw a thread on staccato playing), these forums and the rest of the internet are very valuable in finding help (obviously in addition to a good teacher with which you should almost always strive to work).

Last edited by Bobpickle; 10/13/12 05:14 AM.
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Derulux
One of the absolute worst activities, ironically, is typing on a keyboard. Especially if you rest your wrists on anything while typing.

that i ALWAYS do that! (right now I'm typing in a completely different way xD)
You mean like similar to RSI(repetitive strain injury)? I've heard of it but I googled it just now. The problem is, I spend hours at the computer. Oh well i guess I should start avoiding these bad habits
Thank you for you reply Derulux.

Originally Posted by Bobpickle
I lift heavy weights 4x a week for often about 2 hours per day, without the use of gloves or straps which, in turn, results in the consistent formation of calluses on the undersides of fingers/wrists. I've also been known to abuse the ability to crack nearly every joint in my body (toes, knees, neck, etc.), all ten fingers included. What is the only thing that ever makes my fingers/wrists/arms hurt at and/or away from the piano? Improperly spent time at the piano.

In piano study, you have two major components at play, technique development (physical) and musical [theory] development (mental and neurologically tied to physical). How to most carefully utilize your two hands at the piano follows under the former category, though also to some extent under the latter. While the topic is exceedingly broad for each subdivision of technique, the rule of thumb you want to use is "Do I feel pain/tension?" If the answer is yes, you're likely too tense and need to approach the problem slowly and without tension (if not in just an entirely different way) and then gradually speed up. For individual technical concerns (just saw a thread on staccato playing), these forums and the rest of the internet are very valuable in finding help (obviously in addition to a good teacher with which you should almost always strive to work).

So I guess it was just that I was not used to carrying heavy weights?
Thank you for those helpful tips! I will take them into consideration when playing smile

Last edited by NGM_Virtuoso; 10/13/12 06:56 AM.

Next year... I'm gonna have an acoustic piano next year!!! :))

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission