2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Animisha, admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,175 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 52 of 190 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 189 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice Undone. I, for one, am certainly excited to hear. I'm guessing the title will be a secret until the recital is posted? Does it take lots of time to transfer the files or is this a busy upcoming week for you? Regardless, I'm sure the mistakes are hardly noticeable (at least to others). I only have my camera, and am not exactly sure how I would tailor that to the required mp3 format. . . Also, I wouldn't know what to play (Alfred's?). Again, I will definitely listen to your upcoming performance and I highly anticipate it.

W

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Undone, Ttigg, and JF --- did you all play Arkansas Traveler at the same speed as z32 and AlexMan (youtube)? I know it calls for allegro moderato but. . .

[Linked Image]
Waltz – Every week is a busy week for me smile After a full day at work, piano practice, and other assorted and sundry chores, there’s precious little time left. Recording a piece and getting it uploaded, for me, involves saving it to a memory stick on the keyboard, making a MiniDisk recording of this from the keyboard, going down two flights of stairs to my computer where I connect the MiniDisk and record onto the computer. Then I find that one track faded out halfway through (bad cable connection) and so start the whole process over again. At least that’s the way it went yesterday.

As for the title of the piece I submitted, you can see the titles of all submissions by going to the first page of the “Call for Submissions” thread, clicking on the link provided, then, where it states how many pieces have currently been submitted, click the “Show me” link.

Oh, and as far as Arkansas Traveler goes, my allegro was a lot more moderato. smile

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Waltz
Undone, Ttigg, and JF --- did you all play Arkansas Traveler at the same speed as z32 and AlexMan (youtube)? I know it calls for allegro moderato but. . .

Nope.. he's better at playing that piece (faster) than me. I played it pretty quick but not as quick as Alex. If his speed is rated at 10 I played at approx 7.

thumb

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks, I was a bit concerned. . .

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
"A Bag of Rags". I have not heard of that. What an interesting title. I see Ttigg's "Wonderland" listed as well. Two are doing "Hey Jude" (odd). Looks like a nice recital.

I will try to participate in the next one. I believe it is quarterly so it'll be in August I assume. Maybe by then I'll be able to submit Canon in D, who knows.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just found the sheet music for A Bag of Rags on UCB libraries website. Looks hard. What type of music would you consider that?
I listened to Nevue play "Wonderland" on youtube; how very nice.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Waltz - sorry to be a little delayed in answering your question as I only check in here once in a while...

I went back and listened to Z32's recording (which is excellent) and I have to honestly say that I didn't play it that fast then (nor could I probably do it even now) - yes, that's the proper tempo, although if you can play it well at a slower tempo you should be satisfied with that at this point - speed will come in time with lots more practice and an improving technique.

"Arkansas Traveler" is an old "mountain" tune (or American folk song) and has long been a standard in Bluegrass music, where it's played typically at "breakneck" speed by the banjo, fiddle and mandolin taking turns on the lead - it's a showpiece to highlight skill and speed, the faster the better.

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Waltz – A Bag of Rags is Ragtime, but it is best known as the unofficial silent movie theme music for the Keystone Kops.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
JF,

Thanks. Also, your reply is very harmonious with what I've learned about the tune since beginning it. Most recordings are with a banjo (which, to me, sounds better, much better), and played quickly. Some do multiple recordings, playing it at a moderate and then very, very rapid pace. Thanks for the clarification. This piece isn't what I would normally enjoy, but I found myself actually liking it. I gave myself the pass on it this morning and plan on making a recording soon. On to Musetta's Waltz from the opera La boheme. I would love to hear your thoughts on this piece's background JF since I am not that familiar with the opera.

Undone,

Ah, so that is why the "rag" term is used in the title (pun? in my minds eye I saw cloth). Anyway, can't wait to hear it!

W

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My performance of Arkansas Traveler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNpxAOyxvhE

With the recital this Friday, I know the last thing on everyone's mind is another stupid video of mine, but I would very much appreciate input on how I played the 16th notes in this piece-- were they in rhythm? Any advice on technique, with respect to 16th notes (or anything really), also would be of high value as well due to my lack of an instructor for the time being. . . Thanks everyone,

W

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sounded great,

I did notice a slight "pause" on the repeated measures (first one at 19secs) but it sounded just fine - very nicely done thumb

I'm officially on the last 2 one before Canon in D now smile Theory for this section is the long awaited "circle of 5ths" so I'm going to enjoy getting my head around that..

More to follow...

SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Ttigg, !

[Linked Image]
Sounds good to me Waltz. The only thing I heard that you may want to be conscious of is a tendency to speed up some groups of 16th notes, and then slow back down (to the regular tempo of the piece). It’s easy to do and takes some concentration to overcome; the fingers just normally want to play certain sequences of notes quickly.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been around lately. My internet is down at my place and I have not been able to check this site. I can't use audio (I'm currently at my school's computer lounge), but as soon as internet is restored at my apt. I'll listen to your recital pieces. Thanks for the suggestion Undone, and I know exactly to which part you refer regarding speeding up. I have still been playing it and I think I have it in better control now (maybe not though lol).

I really, really like Musetta's Waltz.

However, inspired by the suggestion of a recital and playing something of my choice (ie. non-Alfred's), today I searched around the internet and found a well known piano score. It was on some website that allows 1 page previews. . . Well, the entire score is one page! laugh . I started learning it tonight and as soon as I have leanred it I'll record it and post it here as a "late entry" to the recital. It will probably be in youtube format (all I know how to do).

Hope everyone is well,

W

Last edited by Waltz; 05/15/09 09:24 PM.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

However, inspired by the suggestion of a recital and playing something of my choice (ie. non-Alfred's), today I searched around the internet and found a well known piano score. It was on some website that allows 1 page previews. . . Well, the entire score is one page! laugh . I started learning it tonight and as soon as I have leanred it I'll record it and post it here as a "late entry" to the recital. It will probably be in youtube format (all I know how to do).

So I learned the piece and recorded it. Instead of a "late recital piece" (which doesn't even really exist), I submitted this to the "May piano bar". I also wanted to post it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617BFhthQeU

It is the theme from the horror film "Halloween". I was slightly ticked that the bass sounds so weak in the recording. I'm guessing it's the camera angle.

[Linked Image]
C
C
Hi, I'm going to be starting this book by the end of the week. I am still working on Amazing Grace and smoothing out the Entertainer.

I don't have a teacher right now, I haven't been able to find one within a reasonable drive. Book one went pretty quick for me because I'm not new to music, and not completely new to the piano. I've played guitar for 15 years and have studied a lot of theory, the struggle so far has just been getting my fingers to do what my head is telling them, too.

I'm sure book 2 will get a lot tougher. I'm thinking about maybe taking lessons once a month for an hour or two if I can't find a teacher closer to me. Do you think that would be effective?

I'm not sure what my goals are. I've never been a huge fan of classical music, though I do enjoy it. Right now I just want to get as good at the piano as I can, and decide if I want to play classical music from there. Right now I'm leaning towards blues/rock/semi-jazz piano. However I don't think that playing that type of music would require all of my attention, so I could still have some time to work on smaller classical pieces.

That's just me introducing myself. I'm a 26 yo male living in TX. I'm already familiar with many of you from lurking for the last couple of weeks or so.

wj3 Offline
Welcome campidiot. I just started book 2 myself. I am working on the Bridal Chorus, so you will be able to catch up to me real quick.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Arrrgh must stay focused.. [Linked Image]

I'm finishing up the last song (Festive Rhondue) before Canon in D (not started yet) but that's also due to the fact that I suddenly decided I was going to learn another Wayne Gratz song from the book I got. "A Good Question" and again I'm finding out he records slightly different from the sheet music (sigh) smile

Not sure if my teachers going to be happy I learned another song in a few days (just under a week) or miffed coz I didn't do what I was supposed to do.. [Linked Image]

cool

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's why you should be a free agent like me lol. But at the level you are I'm sure Canon in D won't take you too long.

B)

[Linked Image]
Page 52 of 190 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission