2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Works1 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
I'm currently working on Mozart's 12 Variations K265 and am having some trouble with the trills in Variation No. 2.

Can someone please let me know how the trill in measure 17 of the 2nd Variation is played.

Much appreciated.

Last edited by Works1; 10/14/12 07:07 AM.
R
R
I do it like this.
[Linked Image]

It is just my interpretation. I have a "Kalmus Classic Edition" of the piece, which only has the "tr" notation in measure 17.

Last edited by RollingTenths; 10/13/12 09:05 PM.

-"RollingTenths words of wisdom"
W
Works1 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Thanks RollingTenths.

Last night I remembered a post a few days ago about a program to slow down audio (called transcriber) and I tried it on Clara Haskill's recording and it worked like a charm. Measure 17 is played as you indicated.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Interesting, because I recently read a short book ornamentation that says(with a few rare exceptions) trills in Classical period music begin on the upper(auxilliary)note. This is the opposite of what's indicated in the post two before mine.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I remember reading a note about this variation in the book I have... In "Interpreting Mozart" by Badura-Skoda Variation No.2 is mentioned in the chapter on ornaments:
"At the beginning of Var.II in the variations on 'Ah, vous dirai-je, maman', K.265, he also wrote a tr sign instead of a turn symbol".
(I am not sure why "at the beginning"... Measure No.17 is not really at the beginning, but it is the only measure with a tr marking in that variation, maybe he meant K.265 rather than Var.II...)
So basically he meant a turn.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

W
Works1 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Interesting, because I recently read a short book ornamentation that says(with a few rare exceptions) trills in Classical period music begin on the upper(auxilliary)note. This is the opposite of what's indicated in the post two before mine.

It appears that in at least variation 2, standard convention for trills is not followed as there are "tr" markings where the trill starts on the auxilliary note and others that start on the root.

W
Works1 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
I remember reading a note about this variation in the book I have... In "Interpreting Mozart" by Badura-Skoda Variation No.2 is mentioned in the chapter on ornaments:
"At the beginning of Var.II in the variations on 'Ah, vous dirai-je, maman', K.265, he also wrote a tr sign instead of a turn symbol".
(I am not sure why "at the beginning"... Measure No.17 is not really at the beginning, but it is the only measure with a tr marking in that variation, maybe he meant K.265 rather than Var.II...)
So basically he meant a turn.

Thanks ChopinAddict. There are modified "turns" played in the opening theme when only a "tr" is indicated so perhaps he was referring to this section. As far as I can tell from reviewing the music and listening to many recordings, there are no other turns in this piece.

Great piece of music and more difficult to play than what meets the eye. But then again so is most of Mozart I think.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission