Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
133 registered (anamnesis, ajames, accordeur, Almaviva, A Guy, 31 invisible), 1593 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 184 of 227 < 1 2 ... 182 183 184 185 186 ... 226 227 >
Topic Options
#1993466 - 12/02/12 12:50 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
Originally Posted By: jazzwee
Scep, I always enjoy a good discussion. But I'm not sure what your issue is here.

| F-7 | F-Maj7 | F-7 | Bb7 Eb7 |
| AbMaj7 F7 | Bb-7 Eb7 | AbMaj7 |
| G-7b5 C7b9 |

So there's the changes. What exactly is your concern?

The concern remains that it sounds like the solo that everyone takes is all based on playing F pentatonic with no regard for the two tonal centers (Fm and Abmaj). Just because the two tonal centers share the same notes doesn't mean the notes have the same function in each chord.
So, to distinguish between Fm and Abmaj, one would need some sort of cadence material to get to Ab (Eb7) outlined in the solo, and then Fm treated the same with some reference to C7 in the solo. The backing chords remain the same, so it is up to the melody to help spell out the differences, otherwise it is just noodling in Fm pentatonic/blues/whatever. Theoretic justification doesn't amount to much if it doesn't sound right, so, for example just because you CAN play an Eb-G-Bb to get to Fm doesn't mean it is going to sound good.
I'm still concerned that things sound good, first and foremost, and when they don't it is probably because something is missing--maybe feel, maybe phrase shape/length, maybe note choices, maybe all three. In any case, this is what I'm focusing a lot on these days, so it is evident in others' playing because I'm getting more sensitive to it in my own playing.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1993477 - 12/02/12 01:36 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Frankly I don't remember what I played but what just for the sake of being academic, what you describe is vertical playing, which is doing the changes exactly. The nice thing about common tones on chords is that you can ignore that for awhile and in theory at least, if you're listening, you can make a melody that crosses over all the chords.

Doing bebop style vertical playing is one thing but horizontal playing is something else and provides a nice contrast. Many players seek to mix both in. If I can, I would actually prefer to play more horizontally but I really have to know the tune. So sometimes it can only be a limited application like for 2 bars or so.

Now if I actually had the presence of mind to think melodically then, I can't tell you, because in a new tune, you don't have much time to think. You basically have half a bar to be aware of the next chord.

BTW - I found the changes in an older Real Book and it was drastically different than the changes I found in the IRealB App. It's not in 6th Edition.

On another note -- I can't sight read on the spot so I just tried to remember the melody roughly. I was a little off in the hearing since I never actually tried it on the piano. Anyway, tonight I actually read the melody (one of the many versions), so thanks for the heads up.

Edited by jazzwee (12/02/12 01:38 AM)

#1993638 - 12/02/12 12:47 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
1000 Post Club Member

Frankly I don't remember what I played...

Well, I believe you posted a recording that you are free to listen to, so let's start there and then we can talk more cogently about the very thing I'm referring to below.
Originally Posted By: JW

but what just for the sake of being academic, what you describe is vertical playing, which is doing the changes exactly. The nice thing about common tones on chords is that you can ignore that for awhile and in theory at least, if you're listening, you can make a melody that crosses over all the chords.

Understood. But it didn't sound melodically pleasing. It sounded academic, or theory based. Otherwise I would have said something along the lines of 'Despite ignoring the underlying change from Fm to Abmaj, you've managed to produce a cohesive solo that transcends this and taken it to another melodic level. Congratulations!' But I didn't.

So, theory doesn't trump melodic sense. It's the other way around.

Originally Posted By: JW

Now if I actually had the presence of mind to think melodically then, I can't tell you, because in a new tune, you don't have much time to think. You basically have half a bar to be aware of the next chord.

Yes, this is the danger of reading and just processing a tune as potential common tones between chords, and ignoring melodic flow.
I'm playing in a trio with the same two guys for the last two years, and I continually talk to the bass player about trying to understand how to move melodically in tunes, but part of the problem is that he doesn't take the time to actually learn how cadences work, so when he sees them, he just processes the stuff vertically, rather than horizontally. I hear you doing the same, despite saying that we are talking about different things. To be clear: melodic playing is not vertical, as you suggested above, but rather, it is horizontal--at least it should be.

#1993835 - 12/02/12 07:33 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I don't find anything I can disagree with on what you're saying. Although, I'm not sure why you pick a tune to harp on that I clearly only started playing. It's like saying: "You don't know the tune!". Well, it's true.

I gather you're trying to impart a lesson (and not debating) but I've already lost it. If I played the tune again, it would sound completely different.

Anyway, let's find a "real" debate topic.

EDIT -- Now since I asked for Comments, then as a comment, what you said is a perfectly valid observation and I accept it.

Edited by jazzwee (12/02/12 07:41 PM)

#1993880 - 12/02/12 09:35 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
1000 Post Club Member

EDIT -- Now since I asked for Comments, then as a comment, what you said is a perfectly valid observation and I accept it.

There. So, time to record the tune again, but this time with more melodic flow, right? The good thing is, I'm always willing to put my money where my mouth is, and have also revisited the tune to give it some more work. I always come away surprised about how I can miss something along the way. But it helps when I hear the same things missing in others playing.
It needs to be said that no one should become too complacent in their perceived understanding of music theory. I truly think this leads to sloppy and/or academic playing.

So, on another topic, does anyone else see the connection between 'Nefertiti', and the A section of 'There is No Greater Love'. I believe this is where Shorter actually got the ideas from. See if you can find the similarities (Yes, Ab to Db is obvious--but look deeper, especially some of the important points in the melody.)
Fun stuff.

#1993932 - 12/02/12 11:41 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Let's do that -- post versions of In Walked Bud. Maybe that will focus me on learning it and get ideas from each other.

Talking about similarities -- I was playing Four and How High the Moon at that last gig and it occurred to me that the changes were interchangeable. So while playing How High the Moon, I actually thought to play a snippet of Four. Bad choice from a tune selection point of view though, to put two similar tunes on the same set list. Because they were in different keys, I didn't realize how close it was. Four seems like a reharm.

#1994235 - 12/03/12 05:02 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Scep,

On In Walked Bud, when I put thought into it and not generalizing changes over many bars (like really paying attention to each chord within half a bar), then one realizes how difficult it is to play this.

It's easy enough to just stay within the scale and just stay diatonic. But without lots of practice, I couldn't easily do it at 170bpm which was roughly the tempo we played it. After sitting with it for a bit, I could only hit the proper tones at 100bpm.

I see what you mean here. There's not a lot of time to think about it. It has to be worked out ahead.

Are you going to post yours? I have a gig tonight so I probably can't record today.

Can't say this is a favorite tune for me. The cycle of chord changes is too fast for me to allow a flow of ideas (IMO). Good thing you get a pause in the B section. But an excellent exercise.

#1994453 - 12/04/12 03:54 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Ok I tried it again tonight. Not there yet since I only woodshedded today. But I'm not one to hide my imperfections. Although, you may laugh that I'm doing this practice live. Lots of distractions btw. There's a newbie bongo player playing right next to my ear and she's off beat. So that was affecting me big time. I also couldn't tell because of the monitors but at least from the recording, it sounded like I was banging the piano. Or the recorder was picking up the monitor.

In Walked Bud (Live)
https://www.box.com/s/d4qq9f8khldr1cuj36b4

And to take it to another notch of failings, here's another one with the bongo player in the background.

Tenor Madness
https://www.box.com/s/b1mzohm3803au7athhlu

BTW, one of the sax players here is a real pro. You can tell that he's at a different level than the rest of us.

Finally, one that doesn't sound half bad except for the bongo player.

Dolphin Dance
https://www.box.com/s/kbeojrv1d757wsmqhny4

Edited by jazzwee (12/04/12 05:28 AM)

#1995039 - 12/05/12 01:07 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
1000 Post Club Member

Scep,

On In Walked Bud, when I put thought into it...then one realizes how difficult it is to play this.

That's the thing. Every tune presents it's own challenges.
Originally Posted By: jw

I see what you mean here. There's not a lot of time to think about it. It has to be worked out ahead.

Well, not worked out ahead, but just knowing where you are coming from and where you are going hence the Fm-Ab thing. It's important to know when the tonality shifts, and how to state that shifted tonality in the direction the notes take.

Are you going to post yours? I have a gig tonight so I probably can't record today.

yes, but not for a few days, I'm doing concerts for a bit.

Can't say this is a favorite tune for me. The cycle of chord changes is too fast for me to allow a flow of ideas (IMO).

The flow will come, as it will for Very Early and Giant Steps, etc that seems to move too fast. Ironically, you'll need to look at the form in bigger chunks again. It's a great tune that deserves to be learned, especially the syncopation aspects of it.

Edited by scepticalforumguy (12/05/12 07:42 PM)
Edit Reason: computer crash...

#1995146 - 12/05/12 05:34 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Just a small comment on In Walked Bud. In all of Monk's versions, in the bridge, he heavily accents the two Bbs and then the Cb. This changes the whole phrasing and brings out the over the bar line feel that, to me, makes the bridge.

#1995485 - 12/06/12 02:06 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jjo
Just a small comment on In Walked Bud. In all of Monk's versions, in the bridge, he heavily accents the two Bbs and then the Cb. This changes the whole phrasing and brings out the over the bar line feel that, to me, makes the bridge.

I'll listen for that right now. BTW I saw your thread on E.S.T. and I happen to have 2 versions of In Walked Bud on my Iphone and one is E.S.T.

#1995490 - 12/06/12 02:11 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: scepticalforumguy]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: scepticalforumguy

The flow will come, as it will for Very Early and Giant Steps, etc that seems to move too fast.

I don't recall you ever posting a version of Very Early, or Giant Steps...post if you have them.

BTW - I don't feel Giant Steps moves fast at all now. No one wants to play it at a gig or jam so I don't get to play it though. It's not that bad if one always listens for the big picture instead of chord by chord/vertical.

#1995562 - 12/06/12 05:09 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

jazzwee: Just listened to the EST version, and of course, they don't do the accents I was talking about! I think when you hear how Monk does it and try it out, however, you'll enjoy playing it that way. It's best when the band is in sync with those accents, but I know you don't get to rehearse with the band.

#1995585 - 12/06/12 05:59 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

jazzwee: Just listened to the EST version, and of course, they don't do the accents I was talking about! I think when you hear how Monk does it and try it out, however, you'll enjoy playing it that way. It's best when the band is in sync with those accents, but I know you don't get to rehearse with the band.

I see what you mean. I think I can just tell the Bass Player/Drummer ahead of time and we can do that. It does make it more interesting.

The accent is on Eb and then A.

Edited by jazzwee (12/06/12 06:01 PM)

#1995902 - 12/07/12 10:58 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Not sure what you mean by Eb and A? Are you playing it in F-, with the two chords in the bridge being F- and Db7?

#1996237 - 12/08/12 03:12 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Just found this page on Jeff Brent's website that was an analysis of "Giant Steps" and thought of you jazzwee. I'm certainly nowhere near being able to use it, but thought you might enjoy taking a look

http://www.jeff-brent.com/Lessons/giantsteps.html

#1996518 - 12/08/12 05:34 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Thanks Bobpickle, I think I've seen that before. I wonder where he gets the information that this is actually what happened (in composing Giant Steps).

#1996520 - 12/08/12 05:40 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Not sure what you mean by Eb and A? Are you playing it in F-, with the two chords in the bridge being F- and Db7?

The version I'm listening to, they actually focus on those notes, the Eb and A (not Cb). The drums actually pauses on those notes, which sound out.

EST obviously doesn't.

Scep's comments on how to play this makes me self-conscious now every time I play this (like last night) instead of just letting the harmony in my head to drive it. So I'm going to let a few more gigs pass before I repost. I've played it at every gig in the last few days. I still feel stilted. Like I'm forcing a chord tone in there without really feeling the melody.

#1996715 - 12/09/12 02:41 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Haven't done this in awhile. This was with my Trio(+1) group. I'm almost playing trio here since I play the head.

--for you jjo. It's a faster version too.

Windows in B Minor
https://www.box.com/s/1mhomluzujs7jjnge1xo

Guitar player was comping with wrong/different chords at moments, some clashes in there...

This is a great tune for practicing A, E, F#, and B scales....

#1997074 - 12/09/12 07:51 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jazzwee: Hard to hear your pianto, but what I can hear sounds really good. I think it sounds much better at that tempo.

My latest tune is Celia by Bud Powell. It's another one of those heads you can't just site read. I've been working on it for a month, as part of a desire to get to know Bud Powell better. I've got a full transcription, so now that I know the head, I'm trying to learn his solo. Just one chorus, but a work of art. He really was revolutionary and a great player. I think people don't listen to him as much because the recordings all have that old, scratchy sound.

#1997088 - 12/09/12 08:29 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: Bobpickle]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
Just found this page on Jeff Brent's website that was an analysis of "Giant Steps" and thought of you jazzwee. I'm certainly nowhere near being able to use it, but thought you might enjoy taking a look

http://www.jeff-brent.com/Lessons/giantsteps.html

Actually, I wonder about the true historical lineage of Giant Steps. Does anyone definitively know if Giant Steps was composed before Have You Met Miss Jones? I'd question whether Coltrane did what Brent suggests, or borrowed from the B section of Miss Jones.

Given that most jazzers are more enamored with Coltrane than Shearing, I'd think that most would believe that Giant Steps was the first written. Maybe first published, maybe even first recorded, but I'm not certain it precedes Shearing's tune, given the rest of Miss Jones seems to come from an earlier era.

Tunes usually inspire other tunes, no?

#1997092 - 12/09/12 08:40 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
1000 Post Club Member

Scep's comments on how to play this makes me self-conscious now every time I play this (like last night) instead of just letting the harmony in my head to drive it.

Consciousness is good. Self-consiousness not so good. Get over it and try to get to the point of making the tune sound good.
I find Summertime and Blue Skies might make a good stepping stone in that they both have similar, if not identical, movements from minor to relative major.

Maybe part of the problem comes from sidestepping classical harmony and melody construction in favour of more modern lines that DEconstruct melody--such as using a pentatonic scale over both sections because you can.
Just to go full circle for a moment: I didn't like the posted version of In Walked Bud because it didn't sound melodic. I'm saying again it doesn't sound melodic in the sense that there was nothing in your lines suggesting a tonal shift from minor to relative major. I also said I have trouble with this tune, and for the same reason.
So, if you have recorded the last few gigs, and you have listened back to the tune, you are probably now hearing what I'm hearing, and that's good. Nothing to be self-conscious of. You'll know when you've got to the other side of the tune when you want to share it with us again.

In the meantime, I did record the tune with my trio too. As a matter of fact, I've recorded it a bunch of times, and none are satisfying for me. Check the next post for the links.

#1997098 - 12/09/12 08:58 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

While I was waiting for In Walked Bud to appear on your links, Scep, I really enjoyed your version of Whisper Not. This is something I've played a few times and it looks like you've really analyzed this deeply. There where some reharm moments there that I'll have to relisten to.

Also the piano tone was exquisite. Really makes me want to throw out the DP on a gig. It just doesn't sound like that.

I'm going to give Whisper Not another try on my next gig.

#1997099 - 12/09/12 08:58 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
1000 Post Club Member

check link in my signature for 'In Walked Bud' versions. They span over a few years.

Edited by scepticalforumguy (12/10/12 09:53 AM)
Edit Reason: bad link

#1997112 - 12/09/12 09:19 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
bad link Scep.
wink

#1997124 - 12/09/12 09:49 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: knotty
bad link Scep.
wink

Really? I thought it was just bad playing...

I did check the link, but will do so again...

...and just checked...seems ok when I click on it. What happens for you?

...and checked again...and now it seems that it gets stuck on the 'loading' loop... Not sure what is happening. Maybe boxnet is a bit inconsistent today?

Edited by scepticalforumguy (12/09/12 09:54 PM)
Edit Reason: link checked again

#1997131 - 12/09/12 10:02 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
1000 Post Club Member

While I was waiting for In Walked Bud to appear on your links, Scep, I really enjoyed your version of Whisper Not. This is something I've played a few times and it looks like you've really analyzed this deeply. There where some reharm moments there that I'll have to relisten to.

Also the piano tone was exquisite. Really makes me want to throw out the DP on a gig. It just doesn't sound like that.

I'm going to give Whisper Not another try on my next gig.

Bad news on both fronts: I sold that piano you're listening to on Whisper Not. Got another one though--a Mason and Hamlin. I'll post a recording I did with that.

As for the links--something is fishy with boxnet--you can click on the play button for the tune you choose, but if you move the cursor away to navigate something else it goes into 'loading' loop. It has never done that before.

But thanks for the compliments on Whisper Not. Another hard tune because of the three key centres. I'm glad you liked it, but I still wouldn't say I know it yet. I am understanding it a bit more and finding ways to move between the Cm, Gm and Dm that sound like the ideas flow through the centres.

#1997257 - 12/10/12 07:20 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
3000 Post Club Member

U posted a link to the file, which would only work for you. You have to right click share and post that, Remember?

#1997260 - 12/10/12 07:29 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
3000 Post Club Member

But there are 3 versions in your shared folder.

#1997277 - 12/10/12 08:26 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: scepticalforumguy]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted By: scepticalforumguy
Actually, I wonder about the true historical lineage of Giant Steps. Does anyone definitively know if Giant Steps was composed before Have You Met Miss Jones?
Have you met miss Jones was published in 1937. Coltrane was born 1926 . . .

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

Page 184 of 227 < 1 2 ... 182 183 184 185 186 ... 226 227 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Merry Christmas!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High school piano accompanist
by MiguelSousa
12/26/14 01:51 PM
Got money to spend on a piano stoool
by LarryShone
12/26/14 01:41 PM
Pre-owned Schimmel grand, Hand made German piano - $24900
by Paul678
12/26/14 12:14 PM
strange sound playing with depressed middle and right pedals
by Sampianist
12/26/14 10:51 AM
Question for TuneLab Users
by Ed Sutton
12/26/14 08:37 AM
Forum Stats
77420 Members
42 Forums
160152 Topics
2351735 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission