2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 31 of 98 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 97 98
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
good idea. i love the King and I.

I am an old diver/dancer/gymnast and took to the polka as if it were 2nd nature. There is nothing like twirling in 2/4 time with a good partner.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
B
BDB Offline
B
Another Rodgers and Hammerstein polka is The Lonely Goatherd, although it is usually billed as a yodeling song.

Semipro Tech
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Since "Today in Wedding History" not only has come up dry in recent days, but has nothing better to anticipate than an anniversary of one of the Moonies' Mass Weddings (the look-up is hilarious, if you have nothing better to do), we bring you:

"Today in Weddings of the Future"

Headline on http://spaceweather.com :
Recent & Upcoming Earth-asteroid encounters
On August 26, 2010 there were 1144 potentially hazardous asteroids.

Some might object that a wedding in space would be far too expensive, but anyone who watches "Platinum Weddings" on TV knows that there is really no such thing. It is a certainty that the future will bring us many of them.

For those in a rush to get to the altar, there are particularly tempting close passes of asteroids coming on Oct. 30, Nov. 30, and Nov. 23, 2010. The pass of Asteroid 2003UV11 will offer the best viewing, by telescope, for the many and the jealous who will NOT be on the guest list. It is the largest at 595 m (plenty of room for the pavilion) and the closest at 5 Lunar Distances (the orbital mean diameter, of course).

It has been widely speculated among futurists and science-fiction writers that honeymoons in near-zero gravity will offer refinements which are imagined to be an improvement on ordinary honeymoon accommodations. It is not known how long it will be until "Honeymooners--- Do Not Disturb" signs (and discreet Room Service) will be available.

However, it is a growth industry for sure, and investors are already being sought.

As for piano accompaniment in zero G, yes, there are acknowledged problems as terrestrial grand pianos do require a gravity field; design modifications have not been announced as of this writing. There may be difficulties, as well, for a performer who is wearing a space suit and insulated gloves.

Some have even scoffed at the idea of the happy couple wearing spacesuits. One especially snide remark likened a bride, with gown and veil over a vacuum suit, to a resemblance to a dancing bear. However, spacesuits of this future time are expected to be considerably streamlined over current production models.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 08/26/10 04:26 PM.

Clef

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
I've been reading Mary Roach's "Packing For Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void," which is an absolutely entertaining and educational look at the complicated issues of space travel, which would of course include space weddings. One little-publicized fact is that the large majority of astronauts suffer considerable nausea and vomiting for the first couple of days of a trip. That is allegedly why NASA would rarely show much footage from the shuttles on the first day or two.

This could pose a significant obstacle for space weddings: "Do you, John, take Britney to be your--oops, SPLUUURRRRT--lawful wedded wife?" "I--BAAAARRRRFFFF--do." Normally one doesn't see substantial amounts of vomit until late in the reception. wink

Originally Posted by BDB
Another Rodgers and Hammerstein polka is The Lonely Goatherd, although it is usually billed as a yodeling song.

they do 'polka' on strings, don't they.

it's a lovely song too.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Well, back down to Earth-Surface World:

"Today in Wedding History"

August 28, 1996- His Royal Highness Charles, Prince of Wales and Her Royal Highness Diana, Princess of Wales are granted a divorce. He complained she was hogging all the publicity; she complained that Camilla had created a traffic jam in the bedroom.

It was reported in the tabloid press that Queen Elizabeth had complaints of her own.

Pickings are slim for wedding history factoids this month, if we have to turn to famous divorces for factoid fodder. You would think, as many times as Elizabeth Taylor has been married, that we would have some anniversaries...

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 08/29/10 10:17 AM.

Clef

a traffic jam in the bedroom? did Diana really say that? that is so cute.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Now that Zsa Zsa Gabor is back in the news--- in failing health, unfortunately, but she's had a good, long run at age 93--- I had occasion to do the look-up.

Did you know...
... that Zsa Zsa has been married nine times?
... and divorced seven times?
... that one of her marriages lasted less than 24 hours?
... that she guest-starred on Gilligan's Island?
... that President John F. Kennedy had a pet rabbit named Zsa Zsa?
... that there is also a Zsa Zsa Padilla?

Nine marriages--- obviously, "Let's Talk Weddings" owes her a lot. Not that they were ever in a race, but her total of nine marriages does beat Elizabeth Taylor's (comparatively paltry) seven. However, they have both been divorced an equal number of times.

August: the month when June brides are receiving the Second Notice on their credit card bills, and are keeping a low profile. We wondered why it was so quiet; it's either that, or they're watching for asteroids.

Did you know...

..."The only reported fatality from meteorite impacts is an Egyptian dog that was killed in 1911 by the Nakhla meteorite, although this report is disputed? The meteorites that struck this area were identified in the 1980s as Martian in origin?"

..."The first known modern case of a human hit by a space rock occurred on November 30, 1954, in Sylacauga, Alabama. There an 8.8 pound stone chondrite crashed through a roof and hit Ann Hodges in her living room after it bounced off her radio? She was badly bruised?" **see note**

..."The Peekskill meteorite broke up over the United States on October 9, 1992, an event witnessed by thousands across the East Coast? The meteorite broke up over Kentucky and damaged a parked Chevrolet Malibu in Peekskill, New York on impact? Major cities like Pittsburgh witnessed the bright meteorite? The meteorite traveled northeast and had a pronounced greenish color? The meteorite has been captured on 16 different videos and remains as one of the most famous meteorite sightings?"

... and not only that--- the young lady whose Chevy was flattened, not a rich woman, viewed the event as a misfortune, and sold off the car for scrap to a wrecker? She did not know that there is a very hot niche market for such artifacts, and the car was tracked down and pieces were sold off for very high prices to collectors? She was even the subject of a show on the Discovery channel, and now has an unsought personal fame, of a sort?

So, honeymooners. Take a clue: the surest way to pay off those wedding and honeymoon charge card bills, is to park your car under a meteorite strike.

August is such a lovely month for viewing the night sky... and it's so affordable.

**Note**
The Sylacauga chondrite is preserved at the Museum of Natural History at the University of Alabama, in Tuscaloosa, where I have seen it with my own eyes. It is somewhat out of the way, up on the gallery on the fourth floor.

Mrs. Hodges is not in the museum. Neither is her radio, which could have been sold for big money (and may have been, though I suspect it was carelessly discarded as broken and no good).

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 08/31/10 11:04 PM.

Clef

September too Jeff.

we kind of lucked into owning a city surrounded sky-viewing field. now if there was only an easy way to lug the telescope up the hill.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
And "Today in Wedding History:"

September 1, 1653: The baptism of Johann Pachelbel was recorded in Nuremburg, Germany. Composer of the Canon in D (well-known to all wedding musicians), Pachelbel died in 1706, at the age of 52.

Neither his exact date of birth, nor his death, is known.

Johann Pachelbel tutored Johann Christoph Bach, the older brother of Johann Sebastian Bach, in music. He provided music (with other composers) at J. C. Bach's wedding on October 23, 1694, and may have met the young Johann Sebastian Bach, then aged nine, at that fete.

Canon in D was relatively neglected until an upsurge in its popularity, in the 1970's, as wedding music; its accompanying gigue in the same key still suffers obscurity. Pachelbel also wrote organ chorales, fantasias, fugues, chaconnes, harpsichord suites, aria and variations, toccatas, preludes, and other chamber music. Canon in D was originally scored for three violins and basso continuo.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 09/01/10 01:28 PM.

Clef

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by apple*
a traffic jam in the bedroom? did Diana really say that? that is so cute.

The MUTCD (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, which specifies traffic signs etc. in the US) would suggest replacing the Yield Sign with a Stoplight.

gotta go practice
Somehow found this, an unusual performance of the popular canon:
http://technorati.com/videos/article/pachelbels-canon-performed-on-a-ruler/

Terry@cincyrockers.com
www.theplayerpianoshop.com
i played a wedding yesterday at my small old church in the downtown city market. I heard the bride mention that she chose the church because of the aqua and tangerine painted color scheme accents matched her colors.

she was quite difficult. I had gone early to open the church - (the secretary/manager was on vacation). It was a comfortable 74 inside the church, but the bride wanted it cooler so she wouldn't sweat. I am 'new', and tho adept at controls, had no idea how to turn the air-conditioning down. She went off.

i was able to calm her down.. gave her a piece of gum and told her I'd make a few calls. I couldn't get a hold of anyone who knew about the air-conditioning. there was a visiting priest, the whole service was imported. She told me she wasn't going to pay me unless it was cooler. I told her she had already paid me and started to get angry. I told her that everyone was depending on her to provide a good wedding and she was freaking rather than being in control.

she settled down and everything went smoothly.

she was REALLY cute and used to getting her way. After the ceremony she wanted to exchange email addresses so we could keep in touch and gave me a big hug. I didn't tell her we had been corresponding by email for 3 months.

here is a pic of the church built by Italian immigrants in 1896.

[Linked Image]

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Apple, this is a classic wedding story. I'm glad you didn't lose your cool (so to speak). I particularly like the exchange of email addresses at the end of the event.

No weddings for me in the last two weeks, but I have one coming up this weekend. It has the makings of a disaster if you ask me, mainly because my appearance at the wedding dinner involves the best man SNEAKING me into the villa while the bride is drinking champagne in the lobby.

The bride is a fan of my music and really wanted me to play at her wedding, but, alas, there's no piano at the villa. So, as a surprise to the bride, the groom rented a Steinway and will have it hidden in the dining room. When the guests finish cocktails, they will be called into dinner, with the bride leading the way. I'm supposed to be playing as she walks into the dining room. After everyone is settled, the groom will say something, and then I'm supposed to play a 20 minute concert.

I have visions of me crawling through a window to get into that dining room, with the best man hoisting me from behind. And another thing: I had minor surgery this week to remove some funky skin lesions in three different places, and I have a bunch of stitches. My husband says I look like a stabbing victim. I'm considering wearing a Burqa with bling instead of an evening gown.

Wish me luck!

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Available June 18th, 2021--Piano Girl Playbook: Notes on a Musical Life
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
Music by RMG available on all platforms
RMG is a Steinway Artist
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Piano Girl RMG
I have visions of me crawling through a window to get into that dining room, with the best man hoisting me from behind.

Presumably the same window they sneaked the piano in!

gotta go practice

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Piano Girl RMG - how cool that you are to be such a wonderful surprise for the bride. Good luck sneaking in!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
I hope the piano will come through the front door, HOURS before the guests arrive. The bride has been informed by the maid of honor that the dining room has been decorated with a unique theme, and she's not allowed to see it ahead of time.

My husband is now suggesting I don a Carol Burnett maid outfit and work my way through the crowd with a bucket and mop in hand.

The other thing I just thought of? I won't be able to warm up or check out the piano before the concert. Oy. I'm telling you, this gig has the makings of a train wreck.

Will report on Saturday. Unless there's Piano World iPhone app. FRANK????

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
RMG is a Steinway Artist
i would love to see this live.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...Apple, this is a classic wedding story..."

Now, that is as frightening as an electric eel in the bathtub... yet, it has the ring of probability.

But I loved your story, Apple. It has an air of grace and refinement which I would have had trouble equaling. Trouble--- who am I kidding--- we would have both been put on the sidewalk after a screaming cuss fight, right in the sanctuary. I am not one who usually features that Biblical wisdom: "A dry witticism turneth away wrath." Not when directly threatened over the thermostat setting.

If only the Bible said, "A snide remark turneth away ye bullying bride." Well. It doesn't, and it wouldn't; that milk is already spilled, and crying will not put it back in the cow.

And "Today in Wedding History:"
September 9, 1839: John Herschel takes the first wedding photograph on a glass plate.

There had been previous photographs--- too crude for wedding work--- so this was an important step, and the glass-plate method was in use until well after the Civil War... actually, for around seventy years. Then they invented film.

Flash forward, to the invention of television; forward, to the time of Judge Judy; somewhere around the year 2000. The plaintiff, a bride, is suing the wedding photographer over photos she considers unflattering. She disparages their quality in her very lengthy complaint. She scoffs at the signed contract, and refuses to pay the balance due even though the photos are in her hands.

Judge Judy shrugs (she has had five weddings of her own, two of them to the same husband). She eyes the bride. She examines the photos. She shrugs, and astringently advises the bride to have a look a mirror before claiming the photographs are a poor likeness.

I think the outcome is clear enough. The contract has been fulfilled. Judgment for the defendant; damages according to the cross-complaint. The bride argues with the judge...

For some reason, NASA has not so far replied to my letter, the one asking about the music which accompanied history's first wedding, with an astronaut in low earth orbit.

I hope they will get around to answering this very interesting question.

Clef

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
I wish I had been taking photos of all my brides over the years. Candid shots, taken from the piano. Can you imagine the collection I'd have? Judge Judy would have a field day.

I wish I could tell you that last night's surprise gig was as whacky as I imagined it would be, but it was really quite lovely. The piano was a Yamaha C7 (supposed to have been a Steinway, but the local dealer didn't have one), and I didn't have to climb through the window because the weather improved right before I arrived and the bride was outside having her photo taken.

When dinner was announced the dining room doors were opened and I began playing the beginning notes of First Snow (I know, weird choice, but it was the bride's favorite song). She came through the doors and I'm telling you, she was so happy that tears squirted from her eyes. Projectile crying. This of course made me cry, the groom cry, and the (very drunk) best man cry. I finished the song, the groom announced that my music was to be his wedding gift to the bride and that everyone should sit down so I could play a twenty minute concert for her. I had a blast, cause I didn't plan anything in advance and pretty much improvised for the entire concert, without breaks. FUN FUN FUN!!!! The soup course was being served just as I was leaving.

I wish I could play a gig like this every week. I wish all brides loved music as much as last night's bride. Sometimes being a pianist is the best thing in the world.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
Page 31 of 98 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 97 98

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission