2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
For some students, I imagine thunderbolts about what they must study and tablets of stone engraved with rules of pedagogy could be the best approach! (Forgive me, I'm on a roll here ... smile ).

I think you're describing me. tiki ha ha ha

If you listen to From the Top, it sounds like a common stance of teachers of great young musicians. The kids sound giggly and silly and then they talk about their teacher and there is a LOT of respect in their comments. Very, "my way or the highway" from the teacher. Love too. But also professional.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
It's healthy for anyone to choose and play music they enjoy but not always appropriate to work on them in lessons. In fact if someone wants to learn a particular piece there is not much you could do to prevent it. I remember spending a lot of time as a child playing things not assigned by my teacher and it never occurred to me to take it to a lesson. I played what my teacher had set and also music I enjoyed and sometimes I even enjoyed what he gave me haha!

I give a limited choice but must admit often try to steer them towards certain pieces. The biggest problem I find is if you ask which one they want to play they just say, 'which is easiest?'. I guess that's normal for most kids. Also it's very rare that they really don't like a piece when they are able to play it whether they have chosen it or not.

Pianist and piano teacher.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
For some students, I imagine thunderbolts about what they must study and tablets of stone engraved with rules of pedagogy could be the best approach! (Forgive me, I'm on a roll here ... smile ).

I think you're describing me. tiki ha ha ha

I'm sitting here imagining you standing on a hillside with your robes flowing, holding aloft two stone tablets engraved with a list of etudes, preludes, ballades and sonatas. Quite an image. grin

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P*D, nothing worse than discussion interruptus. Had to run off to a rather lengthy med appointment.

As a general rule, I attempt to teach basic piano playing technique within the first three years of lessons. From that point on, we're refining, and when and if a student gets to advanced literature, there are additional techniques which must be taught. However, what is taught in the first 3 years is very critical and generally sufficient for playing music through early advanced lit, which is the goal of most of my students (can't speak for others here).

Piano playing technique is only one aspect of music I teach. The other major aspect is literature. Piano playing didn't begin with boogey woogey, even though there are many pianists who seem to believe this. If you're going to play Romantic literature at all, a foundation understanding of Classical and Baroque is necessary. For instance, if I'm teaching dance styles, I begin with the Baroque, and JS Bach, although Handle, Scarlatti, or others would be just as appropriate. Generally speaking the French Suites present a very nice collection of dances in various styles, and it doesn't matter which one of the six you choose, but choose one you must, or you don't learn the basics. That is, to learn a Gavotte, you can choose from on of the six. Ditto a Courante, Allemande, etc.

I am well aware of what the OP wrote, and answered that, along with dozens of other teachers who stated similar thoughts. I was attempting, obviously unsuccessfully, to refine the topic a bit. Hope this clarifies.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission