Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 260 of 275 < 1 2 ... 258 259 260 261 262 ... 274 275 >
Topic Options
#1958156 - 09/13/12 06:38 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Wow! from me too.

(BTW anybody "seen" Lisztaddict around lately?)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1958466 - 09/13/12 05:35 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
Not so much. He never misses my music related posts on Facebook though!

Woohoo from me as well!
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

#1958615 - 09/13/12 11:41 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: under monsoon clouds
I hope it's OK to say-- I exchanged a couple of brief notes with LA, and he was at that point getting along well with the competition and enjoying the local food.

Waiting with bated breath to see how our folks end up (and they're all winners as far as I'm concerned having accomplished all this).

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#1958974 - 09/14/12 05:59 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Quote:
Yesterday I had the good fortune to borrow an unusual Chopin album from, would you believe, my harpsichord teacher. It’s Janusz Olejniczak playing an 1831 Pleyel that belonged to Chopin. Unfortunately, nothing is said about the piano except that it was in a private collection.

Since the album appears to be unavailable, I’ve put one track where you can listen to it. I chose the “Revolutionary” Etude because it shows the characteristics of the instrument especially clearly:

10/12 on the 1831 Pleyel

AMAZING!!! I just love the c.19th pianos- the sound is so much better- particuarly in the bass notes. I cannot define it, being a beginner I haven't the terminology but my ears and soul recognise some special quality in those bass notes. I have a CD of Sam Haywood playing another of Chopin's Pleyels- it is wonderful!
I think Pleyels are the most amazing pianos.Those bass notes wow wow wow!

Thanks very much for the upload Elene- I am always looking to listen to antique pianos.

So you have a harpsichord then?

Quote:
While searching for that album, I found that NIFC has put out one with Olejniczak playing 1848 and 1849 instruments:

Polonezy, Mazurki, Nokturny

You can listen to tracks on their site. However, the album can be purchased for less through Amazon, and perhaps other places as well.

Elene

I shall be visiting this shortly! Would you like Sam Haywood's website url? You can listen to excerpts.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (09/14/12 06:02 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1959306 - 09/15/12 04:48 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: Elene

3. I didn't even know the Edition of Study Scores existed....

I didn't either... It is probably better to buy the single volumes separately though. Apparently their editions are the best. smile I think some of you have the Mazurkas?

Music is my best friend.

#1961581 - 09/20/12 01:22 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I hope it's OK to say-- I exchanged a couple of brief notes with LA, and he was at that point getting along well with the competition and enjoying the local food.

Waiting with bated breath to see how our folks end up (and they're all winners as far as I'm concerned having accomplished all this).

LisztAddict had a great competition and made the finals, in which he played:

Polonaise #4 (C minor)
Scherzo #1 (B minor)
Ballade #2 (F major)

Our members Hakki, Jibbers, and Fuzzy8balls made the finals also, and I just missed -- would you believe, they actually have an award for being the one who just missed!
Great week for PW! smile

#1961670 - 09/20/12 04:10 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Ya'll have done us proud! thumb laugh yippie

#1962300 - 09/21/12 09:31 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: -Frycek]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's great! smile

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1962313 - 09/21/12 10:14 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Etude op 10 no 3 on a Regina music box. Very sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCXZaLZe7m4

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1971809 - 10/11/12 01:00 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Frycek and I have just returned from another visit to Valldemossa. It was wonderful to sit on the terrace of Chopin's 'cell' (really a pleasant and spacious room) and see the view he must have seen, albeit amidst more sunshine. Imagine our surprise when we came upon these huge figures down another corridor in the monastery (bear in mind the ceilings are about twenty feet high):

#1972021 - 10/11/12 07:44 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1972119 - 10/12/12 12:20 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mary-Rose]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Literally "larger than life figures." I wonder if they put the dark circles around George's eyes because she's supposed to have been up all night watching over Fryderyk while he was ill? Can't think of any other reason! It seems to me that they would have been better up either dressing real people up as our friends, or just leaving it to visitors' imaginations what they looked like as they wandered the halls.

Elene

#1972120 - 10/12/12 12:21 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Very exciting! I think more and more that I really look like Fred; at any rate I could definitely be his sister. laugh

Music is my best friend.

#1972784 - 10/13/12 02:25 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
I'm sure most of you Chopin fans have seen this Chopin movie, but if you didn't, its very good...

It's on Netflix too...

http://www.chopindesireforlove.com/

#1972809 - 10/13/12 03:17 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

It is quite good. I saw it on you tube.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1972892 - 10/13/12 07:07 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm sorry, but "Desire for Love" is a travesty. Its only redeeming feature is beautiful scenery and costuming. If Chopin were alive, he could sue for libel and win; it makes him appear absolutely disgusting-- whiny, self-centered, not caring at all about others-- nothing like his true character. Actually, both he and Mme Sand are portrayed as so unappealing it's amazing that anyone would ever spend more than five minutes with either of them. My stomach churned through the whole thing. Please do not believe what you see in this ridiculous film!

What I particularly fail to understand about that movie is that if the creators hated the people they were portraying so much, saw them as such sorry excuses for human beings, why bother making a film about them? The only thing I could figure was that the Polish film team was trying to take the National Hero down a couple of pegs. Yet, they also added those sappy scenes about how he missed his mother and that sort of thing, and showed how his heart was reverently carried back to Poland by his sister-- the stock images of Polish Chopin worship. Why would such a worthless person be so revered?

Seriously.

Elene

#1973787 - 10/15/12 08:43 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I suspect that the giant figures of Fred and George MaryRose and I saw at Valldemossa are similar in nature to the giant processional figures of saints used in festivals, and were probably used in the celebration of Chopin's bicentennary. No one seemed to have any information.

#1973793 - 10/15/12 08:53 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Lluís Offline

Loc: Barcelona,Spain, European Unio...
Chopin Desire of Love: The most terrible film never seen... F, Chopin's constitution is like Chuck Norris, all pianos played are from 1880-1910!!! Terrible film... If you want to see a better Chopin film check for La Note Bleue 1991 , ofcourse not a very good movie but much better than this Disaster of love.

1855 Pleyel Pianino (Restoring -> www.pleyelrestoration.blogspot.com )

#1973812 - 10/15/12 09:45 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Lluís]
Mark_C Offline

Terrible or not, y'all have gotten me curious to definitely see that thing. ha

Mary-Rose: Good job getting the thread hopping again! thumb

#1973875 - 10/16/12 12:29 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Chopin and Sand as giant figures of saints in a procession... oh, my... and when they were there they didn't even go to church!

Elene

(Lluis, you're restoring an 1855 Pleyel? WOW!)

#1974989 - 10/18/12 02:43 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Our Friend's death day has just passed.

Probably both Desire for Love and La Note Bleue set him to spinning in his grave when they came out. If you can find a copy of La Note Bleue, though, and one that plays in your country and on your equipment (it's in a European format, and I only saw it because our Frycek generously lent me her copy), you will get to see and hear Janusz Olejniczak playing that 1831 Pleyel throughout. Although he doesn't look much like Chopin, he is credible in the role, both because of his ability to actually play every one of those notes and because of his slight, Chopinesque body type.

Olejniczak had not done any acting before, but he managed a more than reasonable performance, and in French besides, despite a completely unreasonable script. The film is in French without subtitles, and that certainly didn't help my comprehension, but I don't think it would have made a lot more sense to me in English. Populated by marionettes and mythical beings, it is fanciful to say the least.

It may be worth your while to check out just to see Sophie Marceau, as Solange, in a pair of exceedingly well-fitted pants. Marie-France Pisier, as Mme Sand, was also lovely.

Elene

#1975151 - 10/18/12 12:15 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
Mark_C Offline

....Sophie Marceau, as Solange, in a pair of exceedingly well-fitted pants....

If for no other reason, I've got to see it to find out if that's serious or suggestive.
Especially because I'm figuring the latter. ha

#1975481 - 10/19/12 12:31 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Solange, in the midst of an emotional crisis over her rivalry with her mom, tries on one of George's old suits, which by an astonishing coincidence fits her as if she has been poured into it molecule by molecule. Proving that there's nothing like perfectly crafted menswear to flatter the female form. Especially if the female has a form like that one.

Elene

#1979342 - 10/27/12 04:44 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
I've been away from PW for some time but just realised that Kathleen, the inspirational founder of this wonderful thread, has not posted since March this year. Anyone know how she is?

#1979640 - 10/28/12 11:51 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: cruiser]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: cruiser
I've been away from PW for some time but just realised that Kathleen, the inspirational founder of this wonderful thread, has not posted since March this year. Anyone know how she is?

...anyone?

#1979949 - 10/29/12 04:12 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: cruiser]
chopin_r_us Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
...welcome back?

#1979996 - 10/29/12 07:48 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: chopin_r_us]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: chopin_r_us
...welcome back?

Well yes, thank you chopin_r_us!

I returned to the UK last year after living in Germany for eight years. Unfortunately I had to leave my beloved Yamaha C2M behind (sold) due to not having enough space in the new place frown

#1980407 - 10/30/12 05:07 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: cruiser]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: cruiser
Originally Posted By: chopin_r_us
...welcome back?

Well yes, thank you chopin_r_us!

I returned to the UK last year after living in Germany for eight years. Unfortunately I had to leave my beloved Yamaha C2M behind (sold) due to not having enough space in the new place frown

Horrors! What are you going to do??? Keyboard?? You can't go pianoless.

#1980619 - 10/30/12 04:40 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Oh Cruiser: How I missed that little dog and you, of course.

I'm still around, getting older by the day but sadly, no wiser and no better at playing the piano. Maybe if I would practice a little.

That movie Desire for Love is an abomination. And to think all Poles had a part in creating it. It would be like a group of Americans making a film about A. Lincoln that portrayed him as, well, everything that Elene said. I was actually sickened by it.

Congrats to everyone who took part in the Chopin competition. We are all very proud of you.

So happy that Frycek and MaryRose visited Valldemossa. What an experience that had to be. Maybe those "black eyes" on the Sand statue was someone finally giving her what she deserved. (Just kidding?) grin

My best to everyone,
Kathleen

#1980633 - 10/30/12 05:21 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Kathleen, please, please, please stick around.

Page 260 of 275 < 1 2 ... 258 259 260 261 262 ... 274 275 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
Today at 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
Today at 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Who's Online
69 registered (Al LaPorte, barbaram, beeboss, 22 invisible), 1131 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325959 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission